General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Triathalon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-25 12:25 AM

Subject: First Triathalon
Hi Guys,

I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada...I have decided that 2004 will be the year of the triathalon for me . I am thinking that for a first triathalon, I will do a sprint distance, at least that is what I have decided at this point. The only one that I know of in my area right now is in July. I have a partner that I will be training with and we have done a fair bit of running, and weight training in the past couple of years. The weak point is definately in the swimming area. I have heard that getting private instruction is the way to go in terms of correcting bad technique etc. but how long should the lessons go on for, or is that even the best way to go about it?

The big problem is, I feel like I'm a total newbie and have no idea what I'm doing. I want to have a proper training schedule, and nutrition program set up so that I will get the most out of all of this, but I really don't know where to start. I have started reading some information on training, etc. A lot of programs are geared towards the last number of weeks before the tri, but I am really unsure about where to start. How many days a week should I be training at the beginning for each sport? weight training? When should I start combining sports together? Do I train on time, or distance, or both? I don't want to overdo it, but at the same time, I don't want to train too little.

I realize that I have a lot of unanswered questions and I don't expect you to answer everything. I am just very excited about doing a triathalon, but want to make sure it is done right at the same time. It would be my goal to strive for a top ten finish.

I would be very appreciative of any help that anyone would be willing to offer. If there is any information that I have not included here, please ask me, and I will provide it for you.

Thank You,

Jamie

2003-12-25 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2875

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: First Triathalon
Jamie, I am specifically working on a beginning training plan to tri to get you from ground zero to the plans that start you out closer to the event itself. You have plenty of time to prepare for the race in July. You should see the new plans up within the next couple of weeks.

Still Tri'n,
Michael

Edited by Michael 2003-12-25 7:15 AM
2003-12-25 11:27 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

yes, i am looking forward to michaels program to as it will be a great fit with the site...i have been working like a dog and number crunching...even on xmas today to be able to have about 5 main programs (couch to 5k, couch to sprint, couch to oly, sprint, oly, 1/2im PLUS several variations for between programs and adding extra work to focus on sports u like or need work on...check back very soon!  i just about have the site redesign done and will pull everything together.

top 10 is a pretty big goal for your first tri...of course u may have a solid athletic base with running.  u may need some 'advanced' techniques like periodization training.  this is where u cycle between high volume, low intensity and vice versa training.  u would do hr training and many different types of workouts to get speed on a solid, injury free base.  try friels 'triathlete training bible' for a comprehensive treatise on this subject....u will probably spend a week int he book to develop a training plan...check it out.

the plans i will be coming out with deal primarily with just volume training.  no hr, no intensity variable workouts...just simple and non-technical...u will place.  focusing on steadily increasing volume at a 'comfortable' pace while alternating between long/short workouts and rest weeks plus tapering before your first tri.

2003-12-26 3:17 PM

Hi Michael and Ron,

Thank you very much for your responses. I do look forward to reading your program(s) once they are posted and I will take a look at the book you mentioned Ron. I am assuming that "Friels" is the authors' last name? After getting more into the training, I'm sure I will have more questions, and information that I will need....hopefully I won't be too much of a pest if I post my questions here . The information on this website, I have found to be excellent, and have definately learned a lot just from reading some of it over the past few days. Thanks again,

Jamie
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Triathalon Rss Feed