General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very specific swimming question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-01 7:21 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: Very specific swimming question
Let me ask you good swimmers something.  Think about when you are swimming along, not sprinting but at a decent clip where you are working but one you can maintain for a while.  As you reach forward each time with your hand and rotate and stretch, do you feel like you are gliding?  Like does it ever feel like there is a pause where your front hand glides while you are bringing your other arm around?  Or is it reach, stretch and pull right away so that you have more of a constant turnover feeling in your arms?  I've been trying it both ways and the glide feels smoother while the constant turnover feels faster, but it's not really as much faster as it seems like it should be.  I can also get in an extra kick cycle when I'm gliding.  Or do you feel something completely different than one of these two options?
It seems to me like the glide is what I want to get to - more efficient right? -  and I know all about swimming golf and trying to lower strokes per lap.  I'm not saying I'm good at it, just that I know about it.  I also know about the school of thought that low stroke count is not the end all be all of swimming fast - at some point your turnover rate does need to increase if you want to get faster.   The thing is I have a problem with my legs sinking if my speed drops.  So if I glide for just a hair too long each stroke I'm becoming way less hydrodynamic and the efficiency is gone.  I can keep my legs up if I keep my speed up but that means a higher turnover rate in my stroke.  Should I be striving toward that glide situation and just work my way up to the point where I can glide AND maintain speed or should I be thinking I need more conditioning so that I can maintain the turnover rate?
I know I need to swim a lot more and this is not a frustration issue for me.  I've figured out a lot in the last month or so with the help of several people on this site (Schmize, Coredump) and feel good about my swimming.  It's more of a "Okay, I've gotten to this point and I feel like I'm at a fork in the road and I wonder which thing I should focus on more?"
So lemme have it, whachy'all think?

2006-11-01 7:39 AM
in reply to: #584975

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
Subject: RE: Very specific swimming question

In (most of my) training, I like to feel the "pause," the extra second of gliding.  Each week, I try to do one slow skills-centric day and one speed-centric day,where I focus on turnover.  In sprint races, I go for turnover; in Oly-dist. races, I focus (moreso) on technique, b/c I find it saves energy and I'm less tired coming out of the water. 

You say your legs start sinking - you should be flutter kicking during the entire stroke - don't pause with the legs.  Also, if you are working on pressing your chest down towards the bottom of the pool a bit, the lower half of your body will naturally rise. 

Edited by lobstergirl 2006-11-01 7:42 AM
2006-11-01 9:04 AM
in reply to: #584998

User image

Master
La Crosse
lobstergirl - 2006-11-01 8:39 AM

Also, if you are working on pressing your chest down towards the bottom of the pool a bit, the lower half of your body will naturally rise. 

Yeah -- that's the trick that worked for me. I do like to have a "pause" and "glide" moment when I'm swimming for distance; it helps me to moderate my breathing and keeps my movements smooth. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

In order to make this work, I have to constantly think of pushing my head and chest DOWN in the water. Don't try to lift your legs; rather, tuck your chin and push your chest down so that it feels like you are a couple degrees down in the front. (Imagine looking at your body in the water from the side of the pool. Now imagine a line running through the length of your body, from the farthest reach of your hand to your trailing toes. That line should be a few degrees below horizontal in front; perhaps 5 degrees? I don't know if I actually AM "down in front" that much, but I want to FEEL that I'm swimming down like that.)

It doesn't work for me to "lift" my legs, but if I push down on my front, the legs rise on their own, and stay up in the glide. (I don't kick much at all; just the initial kick at the beginning of the stroke.)
2006-11-01 9:23 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Yeah, that chest down thing doesn't work for me - concept wise.  That's one of the things I"ve figured out in the last few weeks.  I reat TI and began trying that shortly after my sprint in June (and my swimming seemed to get worse).  Well, a couple weeks ago when I ran into Chris (coredump) at the pool he watched me underwater and pointed out that in my effort to push my chest down I was folding like a jacknife and collapsing at the waist.  Schmize had noticed the same thing but I understood what Chris meant better when he said it that way.  So I stopped worrying about my chest and concentrated on my chin staying in tight - like Schmize noticed - and voila!  My legs popped up!  Now when I think about my torso it is to keep my waist open and not fold up.  That seems to be helping quite a bit. 

BTW - I don't want my comments above to turn this into a "Is TI good or bad?" argument.  Lord knows we've had/will have enough of those.  That one concept wasn't helping me perform what I needed to do.  That's all.  There's plenty from the book that is helping me. Not everything works for everyone. 

2006-11-01 9:30 AM
in reply to: #585134

User image

Runner
hangloose - 2006-11-01 10:23 AM

Not everything works for everyone.

Sorry for hijack, but... That statement right there is so simple in concept, yet so difficult for people to get. I think more people need to evaluate what's actually working for them, versus following some miracle program to the letter.

I'm not picking on anyone in particular, and it's especially hard for someone who is new to all of this to look at something and say "Hey, that doesn't work so great for me, I'll drop that part or adjust it." I think that's where this site in particular does a pretty good job. There's no magic bullet for everyone.

Hijack off. You may now return to your regularly scheduled questioning.
2006-11-01 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

The glide for me is essential to swimming efficiently. When I swam in high school, I didn't have the glide or pause. But when I was training to teach swimming lessons, this was stressed as being part of the stroke. After practiciing it for a while, I felt a big difference with the glide vs without. For the most part, when you watch Olympic swimmers, they have the glide. They just glide really fast. LOL.

When I am gliding, I reach forward as much as I can. This does not take long. My pause or glide is very quick. My legs do not sink as long as my head stays down and eyes are looking at the bottom.

2006-11-01 10:19 AM
in reply to: #585210

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
SuzanneS - 2006-11-01 10:00 AM

When I am gliding, I reach forward as much as I can. This does not take long. My pause or glide is very quick.

Suzanne - let me seize on this comment.  Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here, but this is exactly what I'm talking about.  I feel like I reach and stretch and rotate just as much with or without the glide.  But without the pause my forward hand is in near constant motion, only stopping to reverse motion.  When I glide it actually holds position for a pause,         , and then starts going again.  Is that pause the glide I should be trying to make a habit in my stroke?  If so I'll be slowing down a little in the short run but I assume that I will more than make up for it in the long run with a more efficient stroke?

2006-11-01 10:28 AM
in reply to: #585249

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

For me, yes, there is a momentary pause before I begin the pulling motion. It is deceiving because it does make you seem like you are going slower, and perhaps you are over a shorter distance. I've timed myself over 400 m with both the glide/pause, and without. And my time with the glide/pause is faster, even though my 25 m time is faster without the pause. I think it has more to do with energy conservation. By adding the glide/pause, I am making use out of the forward momentum in the water; with a momentary pause it my stroke, I am conserving energy, not just because of the glide but because the glide helps me to hold my form. This helps me to keep my stroke count/turnover the same for longer periods of time. When I do not use the pause, I tend to lose my pace and my stroke form easier because I am tiring more and fighting the water a bit.

Does that make any sense whatsoever?

2006-11-01 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
From a friction point of view your body should move through the water easier with your arm extended in front. Longer waterline = less resistance as a general rule. The stroking arm should not pause at the back of stroke.

I think the "reach" action should effectively be the pause most of the time.
2006-11-01 11:13 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Hang in there!

As you introduce the glide, it will feel awkward and unnatural and so it will feel like you are gliding forever. You really aren't.

To start, try to reduce your stroke count per 50 yards by 2 strokes. If you are typically using 40 strokes and 1 minute to swim 50 yards, you'll shoot for 38 strokes. Your time might stretch out to 62-63 seconds, so your "glide" is only a fraction of a second longer. I'd guess that over a week or two, you'll find you've gained these 2-3 seconds back. (Just don't trade the glide time for a less effecient pull). If you really want to focus on the glide, swim a few laps where you shoot for 10-15% fewer strokes and then return to the 5% reduction above.
2006-11-01 12:46 PM
in reply to: #585263

User image

Master
Northern California
SuzanneS - 2006-11-01 8:28 AM

For me, yes, there is a momentary pause before I begin the pulling motion. It is deceiving because it does make you seem like you are going slower, and perhaps you are over a shorter distance. I've timed myself over 400 m with both the glide/pause, and without. And my time with the glide/pause is faster, even though my 25 m time is faster without the pause. I think it has more to do with energy conservation. By adding the glide/pause, I am making use out of the forward momentum in the water; with a momentary pause it my stroke, I am conserving energy, not just because of the glide but because the glide helps me to hold my form. This helps me to keep my stroke count/turnover the same for longer periods of time. When I do not use the pause, I tend to lose my pace and my stroke form easier because I am tiring more and fighting the water a bit.

Does that make any sense whatsoever?

While this may be overkill? Popov utilizes a pause as before the pull as well (His right arm pull practically launches himself out of the water - is he even human) and though it is quicker than ours, the pause is still there, fully extended each time.

http://www.faculty.sbc.edu/mcalarco/Popov.mpeg

2006-11-01 1:08 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

While I think I understand your question, I also believe that "glide" is a misnomer.  If you stop pulling and try to glide, you will decelerate (quickly).  That said, if you swim "front-quadrant" then there will be a very brief time when you are not pulling.  Essentially, you "pause" until the hand of your recovering arm gets to about your head before starting the pull with your reaching arm.  But if you over-emphasize this pause in your recovery (either by actually pausing during the recovery or over-exaggerating a slow recovery), you will go slower.

I'm no swimmer, but my understanding is that this "pause" in front-quadant swimming is more effiecient for most people since the penalty for decelerating briefly is much less than the penalty for "hitting the brakes" by having your legs drop even slightly (which is more likely if your arm is not out front to act as a counter-balance).  Again, that's my undrstanding of the concepts at this stage.

2006-11-01 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

My 2 cents worth...

If your slight pause is allowing your feet to sink and therefore need an extra kick to keep your lower half in a streamline position, than i believe that the additional benefit (lower stroke count, less energy cost of upperbody) is outweighed by increasing work/energy expenditure of an extra kick ....For most people, the kick for distance swimming is far less propulsive and more for body positioning...The less kick you need, less work of legs, save it for bike/run.....

The flip side of this is if you are wearing a wetsuit...The additional bouyancy would probably eliminate the dropping of legs and allow you to have the momentary pause/glide and not need an additional kick..

I think if you really need to increase your stroke count A LOT (vague i know) in order to maintain leg position, than probably gliding more with an extra kick is better overall. If it just reduces stroke count by a little, the maintaining slighty higher stroke count but less kick, better streamline position is probably better.

JT

2006-11-01 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
HL - I am by no means an expert and technically I am probably not that sound but these are a few things that seemed to work well for me.

Concentrating on keeping your head down helped me a lot. As soon as I feel like my feet are dropping I get that head down and it instantly gets me in a better position in the water. I don't think about my chest at all but getting that chin down and head down straightens everything out.

Second, I think I have a glide you are speaking of but I wouldn't even call it a glide. I try to get my lead hand moving forward into the water. What I mean by that is instead of the lead hand reaching its furthest point out of the water I keep that hand moving to its furthest strech as it enters the water and that is where some of my glide comes from because then there is a bit of a pause.

Finally, this might be a dumb question but it gets at some significant improvement in my swim bringing my stroke count down considerably. I was literally making a windmill type motion with my arms totally extended and elbow straight. My arms would go through the water fully extended with my arm being perpendicular to my body at one point. Maybe this is obvious to you and others but I improved a lot when I got to pulling the water down my chest with a bent arm and down. Keep in mind that it's not your hand that is the "oar" but it is your whole forearm that needs to catch as much water as possible on the way through so that means angling your arm properly. Thinking constantly about this helped get my stoke count per 50 yards down to about 28. It's efficient for long swims but now I need to probably crank that up some to gain some more speed. Having long arms helps this a lot too!
2006-11-01 10:52 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

HL-great thread-FWIW I have had the same question.  I got a GREAT swimmer at our pool to look at my stroke, he told me anything I can do to "stay long" ( including gliding) will help me out in the long run.  Over the summer while I was practicing this more regularly it was s-l-o-w-l-y shaving seconds off of my time without increasing my effort-I actually felt like I was working LESS hard.

Also, for that body balance thing, I try to tuck my chin to "look at" my feet.  Keeps my butt up.

Edited by CindyK 2006-11-01 10:52 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very specific swimming question Rss Feed