General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi from AZ! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-01 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Hi from AZ!
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Bryan and I live in Fountain Hills AZ with my wife and 2 golden retrievers. In way of introduction, I thought I would post a copy of my story that I wrote earlier this year in response to a question on TriFuel, "Why do you Tri?"

In 1972, I was 4 years old. My mother was raising me alone after an amicable divorce from my father. He as not around very much, but Mom worked two jobs and we were happy. That winter, she was skiing up at Stratton Mountain, VT with friends when she hit a patch of black ice and launched off the side of a 150 foot ravine. Half way down she hit a tree which broke her fall but also fractured her pelvis and skull, crushed 6 vertebrae, and collapsed her lung. When the ski patrol finally reached her, they thought she was dead. As they brought her down off the mountain, they were sure she would be paralyzed. She had to be transported to Boston and then to a special trauma center in New York City but was eventually stabilized. While there, she met a nice young doctor who would eventually become my Dad.

It took almost 2 years, 4 surgeries, and nine months in a full body cast, but she eventually was able to function normally again. They fused the damaged vertebrae so she lost a few inches in height, but otherwise she made it through. She never had been much of an athlete. She was a school teacher and helped coach the girl's Field Hockey team. Running up and down the field gave her a lot of pain. In 1976, Jim Fixx, a resident of my home town of Greenwich, CT., wrote his book about running. At around the same time, Nike introduced it's first waffle soled running shoe. Mom new Jim and thought the shoe's were funny so she bought a pair. Suddenly, running on the field didn't hurt. Sometime in the summer of 1977, she found a quiet outdoor track and took her first steps as a runner.

In 1979, she completed The New York City Marathon. In 1983, she saw news coverage of a crazy endurance race in Hawaii called Ironman. She made the decision that she would finish that race. We were now a very athletic family. I was a competitive swimmer as a kid and a cross country runner in High School, we rode bikes for fun and exercise, and Mom's running trophy case grew and grew. So in 1984, she flew to Kona and did competed in Ironman. She had such a wonderful experience, she returned every year for the next 4 years, setting a World Record for women's masters division, age 40-45! I was so proud of her accomplishment especially considering the adversity she overcame. She continued to compete into the '90's in both Triathlon and Marathon. Her last Ironman race was Pensacola in 1999, where at the age of 57 she finished in just under 13 hours. This past January she ran the Phoenix Rock 'n Roll Marathon with me and my wife and at age 63 finished a mere 43 min. behind her 37 year old son in 4:13, qualifying yet again for Boston. Amazing.

I had always been a very strong runner (good gene's, thanks Mom!) but never raced until last year. My competitive nature took hold and I was hooked. This year, I decided to follow in my mother's footsteps. I was a strong swimmer and thought biking looked like fun. After the Marathon in January, I bought a 5 year old carbon Kestrel EMS 200, got my butt back in the pool and started cross training. On May 21st, I competed in the Tempe International Triathlon. I finished in 2:12:00, good enough for 3rd in my age group out of 50 and 23rd overall out of 450 athletes. I'm hooked. I have 3 more International races this year, a half Iron in October, the Marathon again next January and then Ironman Arizona next April. I have hired a personal coach to help bring me into the IM AZ race and my goal is to try and qualify for Kona.....for me and for my Mom. Every day I stare into the cold water of the pool or lace up my Asics or hop on my TriathGel seat I think about a single Mom who wasn't afraid to take those first steps into a larger world of self fulfillment.....and I fly.

Edited by bryancd 2006-11-01 12:34 PM

2006-11-01 12:31 PM
in reply to: #585417

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Hi from AZ!
Great introduction Bryan!
2006-11-01 12:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Welcome.  You have quite a background.  Your mom is amazing.  Hope to see you at IMAZ, I won't be competing, but cheering.
2006-11-01 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
What an awesome story! Welcome! Sounds like you already know what you are doing! I am hoping to make AZ my first IM in 08. Good luck and be sure to have fun!
2006-11-02 12:31 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Hmmm .... print, frame and stick it in the closet until early May.  Being a guy, you will more than likely forget to get something for Mother's Day until it is scramble time ... but with this post printed out for your Mom to read?

You're golden for until her birthday or Christmas (whichever comes first).

Welcome.

2006-11-02 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Welcome. Looking forward to tracking your quest to become an Ironman!

2006-11-02 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
That is such an inspiring story! My dad turned 75 last February and he is the one who got me started running in high school. For many years we did a local annual 10k together. Even when I wasn't in the best of shape, I would get out there and walk/run it. I always joked that maybe when he was 80, I could keep up with him. Well, last year on the morning of our local 10k he called me to tell me not to look for him at the finish line as he was doing the marathon..... What?!? I was shocked, he had NEVER run a marathon before. Little did I know that he had been training for it for a year and had told NO ONE, not even my mom. (I guess when he was gone for five hours for his long training runs he made up some pretty good excuses!) I just registered for my first HIM next October and am very excited, I have decided that if my 75 year old dad can run a marathon in five hours that I can do the HIM. Good luck with your training and thanks for the story!
2006-11-02 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
What a great story! Good luck in the quest for a Kona berth!
2006-11-02 4:23 PM

User image

Gilbert, AZ
Welcome to BT!!!

Great goals! Tear it up! Inspiring story.
2007-06-04 6:15 AM

I have to say... your mum sounds absolulty awesome! Good on her! hahaha... bit of an old thread but hey... lol...
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi from AZ! Rss Feed