General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ever receive a penalty at a race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-11-02 12:47 PM

Saugus
Subject: ever receive a penalty at a race?
I've been doing triathlons for 5 yrs. and this is a first. I just did the SOMA HIM on Sun., on the second loop (of 3) of the bike I noticed race officials on a motorcycle to my left, no big deal, I knew I wasn't drafting even though there were 6 or 7 of us trying to ride 1 lane that didn’t give us a lot of room we were all riding carefully and able to give each other space. The officials continued following us when we turned onto a part of the course that opened up into 3 lanes. As I passed another cyclist we commented about the motorcycle that kept following “us” and even joked that maybe we were breaking course records and that's why they were there. NOT! I then pulled over at the aide station to use the porta john. The race officials also happened to pull over so I went up to them and was half kidding when I asked if I did anything wrong, one of them told me that I was riding to the left of the other cyclist for too long and should have pulled in front or behind her, so I asked if I was DQ'd and he said no, it would only result in a 3-min. penalty. only 3-minutes! I was pretty upset, but continued and finished under my goal at 6:07! The race results were posted and to my shock and disappointment, I found out that I received a 12-minute penalty!! I contacted the RD, the timing company, everyone that I could to find out if this was a mistake, it had to be! but was told that I actually received 2 penalties, 1 for Drafting and 1 for Position. I guess I’m not as familiar with the drafting rules as I thought. I should not have been talking to the other cyclist as long as I did and needed to pass or fall behind her within 15 seconds. The Position rule requires that you “keep to the right hand side of the lane of travel unless passing”, which I always do because I’m slower than most but obviously they felt that wasn’t the case, or decided to combine my talking with the other cyclist as not moving to the right or passing within 15 seconds, who knows?? I was only 2 of 900+ athletes that received a 12-min. penalty. What's upsetting is that although I go out and race as fast as I can I'm usually slower than most so I'm always trying to stay out of the way of the faster athletes and I think the 12-minute penalty is a bit harsh. I’m signed up for my first IM in April and having a hard time getting excited about it after this happened. Lesson learned... know the race rules! Has anyone else received a penalty?

2006-11-02 12:58 PM
in reply to: #586785

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: ever receive a penalty at a race?
Yeah, a bunch of us who did SOMA saw a lot of drafting. Weather intentional or due to circumstance dictated by the course, who knows. I am suprised by the severity of your penalty and think the side by side issue is a non-starter unless you were blocking someone. As far as drafting in your case, I have no doubt that there were many more exterme, blatant, for advantage drafting going on as opposed to you jsut being stuck in a pack. Sorry to hear that happened to you.
2006-11-02 1:11 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Bummer about two penalties! I got a penalty in one of my sprint races. It was labeled "overtaken". I asked the head ref what that was and he said either I crossed the center line on the road way or I did something coming in or out of transition. When he said that, I knew that I crossed the cones dividing the in/out shoot right before the bike dismount line. It was a hard right up a short, steep hill. I learned my lesson about coming into transition too hot. Since the race was a sprint, I was only penalized two minutes. Still a bummer. It's tough to avoid drafting when you have a crowded course. I'd relax about your IM, though. If you hear the motorcycle in it, make sure you're to the right and three bike lengths behind your nearest cyclist. Best of luck on your race and have fun.

Pam
2006-11-02 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
I understand you are disappointed and a little bummed, and maybe dont get why, with the way you describe is a slower athlete would get a penalty for taking a little longer to pass, but look at it this way. You were on a loop course (and granted you said you were on the 3rd loop) but if there was someone coming up behind you that was faster and wanted to pass, now they have to pass 2 people wide, rather than just one. This can create a huge safety issue if they are forced across the centerlane and its blocking.

The drafting, well it is what it is, whether intentional or not. Sorry. Dont let it discourage the IM, just ride aware.
2006-11-02 1:18 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Definitely a shame that you learned the hardway, but it would be to your benefit, and for the safety of everyone out on the course, that you gain an intimate familiarity with the rules. USAT is a good place to start:

http://www.usatriathlon.com/Events/Rules.aspx

Personally, I find it a little disturbing that you raced for five years without knowing them.

Edited by the bear 2006-11-02 1:19 PM
2006-11-02 1:21 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Wheeeeere's Coredump?

2006-11-02 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Yep.  It happens.  And it always feels harsh when it happens to you.

I received my first penalty this year when the group ahead of me started up a hill (thus slowing down).  As I hit the hill, I caught up to them before I naturally slowed down too.  The official was nearby and decided it was drafting.  I didn't agree, but there's nothing I could do about it.  Sometimes it's a subjective call.

All-in-all, I'd rather have the officials and a stricter interpretation of the rules than the alternative.

2006-11-02 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I did for drafting. I was no where near drafting, but at times I wasn't far enough back. I didn't have enough juice to pass, but I didn't want to slack either.

Honestly, I didn't care. My 2 minute penalty didn't keep me from winning hardware or anything. I wouldn't have even gone up a spot.

2006-11-02 2:18 PM
in reply to: #586934

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

KSH - 2006-11-02 2:13 PM I was no where near drafting, but at times I wasn't far enough back.

????????

2006-11-02 2:42 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
the bear - 2006-11-02 2:18 PM

... Personally, I find it a little disturbing that you raced for five years without knowing them.

Now John, don't be so harsh (despite what your title says ).  She seems conrite, even if a littled miffed about receiving two positions violations.

Johanne:

Bear has a point, though.  It is your responsibility to know the rules.  These particular rules you were cited for were more than likely in your race packet (they have been for each of the tri's I did this season) and are commonly explained at the beginning of the race (although hearing them can sometimes be difficult with folks gabbing while the RD and Head Official are speaking).

Drafting is really the same as "failure to pass", meaning that if you enter the draft zone then you must pass within 15 seconds (meaning your front wheel passes the plane of the other person's front wheel).  The other foul for position violation was probably for riding side-by-side.  I suspect that they were taken at different times of the bike leg and not from the same instance.

I too have seen pace lines at races and it makes my blood boil ... pace lines or athletes working together to draft off of one another is just plain cheating - period.  Officials cannot be everywhere and cheaters are particularly aware of their surrounding when they cheat, so sometimes it it difficult to catch them in the act.

That said, often there is an appearance of draft packs or pace lines that turns out not to be the case at all. There is a telescoping effect when you are traveling - and looking - in the same direction as a line of cyclist.  It is not until you see them from a angle that you can truly tell the distance apart.

And often in those instances, it is the normal give and take of people riding at different speeds (e.g. some are faster up hills, some on flats, other on descents) where athletes are passing one another according to the rules.

The solution to catching the cheaters is to have more race officials ... and that is the function of the race director and having more athletes volunteer to serve.

Sorry you got the penalty but hopefully it is something that can be shrugged off as a lesson learned.

Happy winter training.

2006-11-02 2:54 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I've been on some pretty clogged courses, and so far have never received a penalty. Many times I could have been penalized for passing on the right (when people take WAY too long to pass, and are pinned to the far left of the lane, and I split between them). But this has only happened in races with multi-wave starts... Maybe my luck is about to run out or something... Where's some wood to knock on?

2006-11-02 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
I have not received a penalty, but in the last sprint I did, there were many times when I could have. But also probably 90% of the field could have as well, as it was so crowded, and so many people who didn't know the rules. There was one pack of riders who was at least two across and going about 14 mph. I (and others) yelled for them to pass or drop back, but they didn't. I think they really didn't know the rule, and we had to pass by crossing the yellow. The roads were open to traffic and it was an out and back course, so there were times when cars were in the road with us, there was no where to pass, and I know I came up on some other riders and had to just sit on their tire for a few seconds while the cars passed. It was either that or really, really slow down.

I heard a few people after the race complaining about the drafting, but with that number of people and roads open to traffic, and also some places the road was not in very good shape for a bicycle to ride, there weren't many choices. I remember thinking more than once, if there was an official out there, I don't know how they'd decide who to give penalties to, other than just everyone.
2006-11-02 3:23 PM

Saugus
I hear what you're saying... know the rules before your race! it's a major reason I posted this thread, so others can learn from my mistakes. the link that Bear provided is a good place to start as well as the race website, a list of Most Commonly Violated Rules & Penalties was provided to those of us who raced SOMA, so really no excuses for not knowing the rules. And a good idea to refresh the old memory and reread the rules once in awhile. I'm not making excuses for the way I rode the course, I didn't think I was in anyone's right of way and should have known to pass within 15 seconds. It just stings a bit to get dinged for being stupid/ignorant/choose a word? I just think I should have received only the penalty the official told me about, and not 2 for the same offense. I do appreciate what these guys are doing to keep our races safe!
2006-11-03 9:27 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Edit: Deleted comment due to removed post.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2006-11-03 9:34 AM
2006-11-03 9:31 AM
in reply to: #586842

User image

Queen BTich
the bear - 2006-11-02 1:18 PM

Definitely a shame that you learned the hardway, but it would be to your benefit, and for the safety of everyone out on the course, that you gain an intimate familiarity with the rules. USAT is a good place to start:

http://www.usatriathlon.com/Events/Rules.aspx

Personally, I find it a little disturbing that you raced for five years without knowing them.

I agree with John (and don't think he's being harsh, just stating some facts).

A couple of things stood out to me as well:

1. If you were so worried about your time, why did you take the time to talk to the officials at your pit stop? Get on your bike and ride. Talk to officials about a penalty after a race. They are around.

2. Why are you talking to another cyclist? The only thing I would say to another rider if I was passing is "good job, keep it up" and that doesn't require me to slow down or take longer than the required 15 seconds to pass legally.

It seems to me that you were racing more leisurely anyway, so I wouldn't be that upset about the penalties. Live and learn.

2006-11-03 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Seriously, if you can chat it up with other athletes during a race, you're not racing hard enough

2006-11-03 10:06 AM
in reply to: #587587

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

sebjamesm - 2006-11-03 11:01 AM Seriously, if you can chat it up with other athletes during a race, you're not racing hard enough

... or racing below your LT and therefore still able to carry on a conversation.

Personally, I am in my own Private Idaho when racing and don't talk to others unless to say a short word of encouragement.

But that has nothing to do with the original post, which is word of warning to other athletes to learn the rules.

2006-11-03 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
I once received a penalty in a sprint but didn't get any explanation as to what for. The only thing I could figure was that I was a little close at the turn around. I don't know what kind of advantage that would give me since we were all going extremely slow.

I get miffed with all the drafting, blocking, etc and don't see any penalties or only a few. I try to abide by the rules and keep my distance from the rider in front. If I get passed I slow down to keep the distance and then watch about 10 riders drafting that same rider. Then it is tough to get back into the passing lane to pass the slower riders.
2006-11-03 10:40 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Re: the 12 minute penalty incurred by the OP

USAT rules specify that penalties in long-course races are 4 minutes for the first offense and 8 minutes for the second. Two offenses=12 minutes. Again, read, learn the rules.

http://www.usatriathlon.com/upload/pdfs/usat_rules_download.pdf

2006-11-03 11:46 AM

Saugus
hope I don't ruin your day Bear, but I didn't find your comments harsh because you're right, I should have known the rules and believe me, I certainly know them now! nobody can be harder on me than i am on myself when it comes to stuff like this. i mainly just wanted to make others aware of the importance of reading the rules, get others' stories & perspectives, and okay, gripe a little... what's done is done, lesson learned and I know what I need to do differently next time.
2006-11-03 11:50 AM
in reply to: #587894

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

jo-tris - 2006-11-03 11:46 AM hope I don't ruin your day Bear, but I didn't find your comments harsh because you're right, I should have known the rules and believe me, I certainly know them now! nobody can be harder on me than i am on myself when it comes to stuff like this. i mainly just wanted to make others aware of the importance of reading the rules, get others' stories & perspectives, and okay, gripe a little... what's done is done, lesson learned and I know what I need to do differently next time.

Nah, they weren't mentioned to be harsh, just to solidify your original assessment that participants should learn the rules. And learn them early, not after five years of racing. They are there for reasons, and the primary reason IMHO is safety. If you're riding alongside another rider then you are limiting the options of a faster rider who overtakes you.

2006-11-03 12:00 PM

User image

I think this is an especially good post for here on beginner triathlete.  Most people starting out wouldn't think riding side by side is a violation of the "drafting" rule, since most newbies (as I did once) only think of the guys on super fast bikes with discs in a paceline as drafting. 

Good on ya Johanne for posting it and accepting your responsibility for it 

2006-11-03 12:00 PM
in reply to: #586847

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

rkreuser - 2006-11-02 12:21 PM Wheeeeere's Coredump?

Hi. 

Yep.  I've received 2 penalties.  1 was a drafting call at St. Anthony's in 2005.  1 was for "illegal number modification" at a race this year.

The drafting call, it was my fault for not being as on top of my spacing as I should have been.  The course had a couple places where it bunched up due to going through a golf course area with speed bumps.  Eh.  Should have been more attentive to my position, but I wasn't, so i got a penalty.

The "number modification", that one is in dispute.  The head ref at the race won't change it ( and he nailed about 1/5th of the total field for the same call ).  Contacted Charlie Crawford ( USAT Head Official ) and got a response from Charlie that the official was wrong and I shouldn't have received the penalty.  That issue is still being investigated according to Charlie.

-C 

2006-11-03 12:01 PM
in reply to: #587918

User image

The "number modification", that one is in dispute.  The head ref at the race won't change it ( and he nailed about 1/5th of the total field for the same call ).  Contacted Charlie Crawford ( USAT Head Official ) and got a response from Charlie that the official was wrong and I shouldn't have received the penalty.  That issue is still being investigated according to Charlie.

Well now my interest is piqued.  WTF is a "number modification" and what did you do??

2006-11-03 12:06 PM
in reply to: #587918

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
coredump - 2006-11-03 1:00 PM

rkreuser - 2006-11-02 12:21 PM Wheeeeere's Coredump?

The drafting call, it was my fault for not being as on top of my spacing as I should have been.  The course had a couple places where it bunched up due to going through a golf course area with speed bumps.  Eh.  Should have been more attentive to my position, but I wasn't, so i got a penalty.

Knowing this section of the race and how close the speed bumps are together through that neighborhood, you shoudl not have been called for drafting here ... the bumps are too close together in order to have the field stretch out.

Now if it was teh long straightway leading up to this section or the straightaway on the way back after the water stop, that's a different story ...

Number modification: Isn't the criteria for that is whether the number had been modified where it is not able to be readily seen?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ever receive a penalty at a race? Rss Feed  

of 2