General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running question - Uneven shoe wear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-04 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange County
Subject: Running question - Uneven shoe wear
Hello all - I have a question that I hope someone has experience with. When I run and even when I walk for that matter, I have noticed that my right foot lands differently than my left. My right foot lands with the outer side of the sole of the shoe more than my left foot does. My right shoe has worn much of the outer sole where my left shows hardly any wear. I know I am landing very evenly on the midsole of my left foot, but the right I am landing much more on the outer sole of the foot.

Has anyone had this kind of uneveness in their running?

2006-11-04 9:44 AM
in reply to: #588675

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Running question - Uneven shoe wear
boneyBP - 2006-11-04 8:13 AM

Hello all - I have a question that I hope someone has experience with. When I run and even when I walk for that matter, I have noticed that my right foot lands differently than my left. My right foot lands with the outer side of the sole of the shoe more than my left foot does. My right shoe has worn much of the outer sole where my left shows hardly any wear. I know I am landing very evenly on the midsole of my left foot, but the right I am landing much more on the outer sole of the foot.

Has anyone had this kind of uneveness in their running?

Well, this is very common. And that's why you usually take your old running shoes in when you buy new shoes... they can determine the stride/land you have and what shoe you need to be in to help support that.

2006-11-04 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange County
I did take my old shoes in and they said I need a neutral shoe, which is what I wear.
2006-11-04 10:18 AM
in reply to: #588754

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
one explanation could be that your legs are of different length. everybodies are, but it only becomes noticeable if the discrepancy is more than about 1/2 inch.

you can find out by measuring the distance from your belly button to the sole while standing on one leg. if there's a > 1/2 inch difference then you need an insole for the shorter leg.
2006-11-04 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange County
Thanks for all the input.

I just went to a local running store and spoke to 2 of the employees there. They put me on the treadmill and watched me walk and run and they both chuckled, in friendly way. They said they have NEVER seen a foot supinate the way my right foot does when I walk and run. They suggested a custom orthotic from a podiatrist to fix the problem with my right foot. Next up make an appointment with the doc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running question - Uneven shoe wear Rss Feed