Telos
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 51s
Overall Rank = 12/289
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/24
Pre-race routine:

The race was originally advertised for an 8:00 AM start. I got there at about 6:30 and was the second person there. The race had been changed to 9:00, but I didn't check on the race info. So I ended up helping to set up the transition area and hang some banners. Once Randy, Brett, Billy and Jason showed up, I did a quick once-over on their bikes and made sure everything was ok. I had a couple of Ensure and 2 Red Bulls to pick me up. I've had a bug all week that has dehydrated me, so I drank a lot. I also hit the bathrooms 3 times, where I lost a lot more fluids.
Event warmup:

I did a short 5-10 min jog. I was running at about a 10 min pace, but was at the high end of zone 2, so my HR was racing similar to earlier runs this week. I could tell from the get go that this was going to be a problem.
Swim
  • 08m 23s
  • 383 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I feel much better about the swim this year than last. I was only passed once (by a BYU swimmer), and managed to pass 5-6 people. It's hard to swim off the bike, but I managed to stay pretty relaxed. The pace wasn't overly fast, though.
What would you do differently?:

I cycle in a very aggressive position, which puts a little more strain on my arms. It probably would have been beneficial for me to add a few spacers to the stem for this race. I felt like my arms were tired from the start.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

The transition from Run to Bike was ok. I lost about 20 seconds to the top guy in my AG. I just didn't really focus enough mentally.

Focus. Lay everything out better before the race, and know exactly what to do. Part of the problem is that I had the best spot in transition at the beginning of the race, and had my stuff laid out to the side of the racks, but some latecomers came in and put their bikes on the ground next to it, so I wasn't able to get in as planned.
Bike
  • 27m 4s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.17 mile/hr
Comments:

This course has too many turns and hills to be a fast one for me. I do best when I have a lot of flat straight course, where my extra weight doesn't matter as much. Still, I managed to come in 4th overall on the bike. But I won't be happy until I'm putting in the best split of the day. I think I'm capable of doing it with just a bit more work.

I held back too much on the first lap, thinking I'd feel out the course, then go all out on the second. This was a serious mental error. On the second lap, the course was so crowded, I could really only ride it at 80-90% speed. This may have cut a few minutes off of what I could have done. I'll pay more attention to this next time.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I got the shoes off before I came in on the bike and jumped right off of the bike well but stepped right onto a small, sharp rock that hurt my foot a bit, so I kind of limped into transition.

I knew that I was a little behind where I wanted to be in this race, so I tried to hurry, but just ended up fumbling through things again. I tried to get the helmet off before the gloves, and struggled. It felt like I took for ever to get my shirt off for the swim. And I made the worst mistake that I could have: I FORGOT MY GOGGLES!!!!! About 30 seconds out of my transition area, I realized this and had to turn back. In all, I would guess that I lost somewhere between 1:00 and 1:30 due to this. In the mean time, 6-7 people passed me. I felt like a complete idiot.

Think things through in advance better. I have gotten to the point where a typical transition is more or less automatic, but with the reverse order and the cold weather, I should have known better and focused more.
Run
  • 20m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't really feeling it today on the run. I felt pretty good at the first, but mostly because I was going downhill. My head was throbbing and my HR was in the right zone, so I kept pace. The course was a little bit short, so my average time was really right around 6:54, according to the Garmin. This is a solid minute slower than I ran last Saturday, before I got sick, and I wasn't racing then. Still, I felt much better than I did earlier this week. Still, I should be able to do this pace AFTER the bike.

Not much. I probably could have pushed the first downhill part a little harder at the top of Z4, but it may have made the hill more difficult.
Post race
Warm down:

I stayed by the pool and helped participants out of the water. There wasn't a ladder at the end, and some people were really having a hard time pulling themselves up. They probably could have used a few more volunteers for the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My physical effort wasn't bad, but my head just wasn't in the game today. Lack of mental focus during the run, bike and transitions caused me to lose at least a couple of minutes. I need to not take the next tri so lightly.

Event comments:

The race was well organized last year. This year, they added chip timing, which was the only complaint I had. This is a fun end of season event.

Last updated: 2006-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:23 | 383 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/24
Overall: 14/289
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto Tri Shorts
Course: The swim time includes a walk from transition across the street and parking lot to the Fitness Center, then through the locker rooms to the pool. Once in the pool, it was a snake swim through 7 lanes.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:53
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:04 | 10 miles | 22.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 4/289
HR was around 174 average, with a max of 176.
Wind: Little
Course: This course had a lot of turns and a couple of big hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:31 | 03.11 miles | 06m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/24
Overall: 24/289
Performance: Below average
Average HR was at 176, with the high being 178.
Course: The course loops to the South around the main block that the fitness center is on. It has a little bit of very gentle downhill, with a nice hill to climb about 3/4 of the way through.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-04 4:19 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Telos Turkey Tri

2006-11-04 6:24 PM
in reply to: #588944

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Telos Turkey Tri
Nice race Dave. Looks like you had some fun. That backwards stuff is wacky.
2006-11-05 12:32 AM
in reply to: #589018

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Great Race!  You are insanely fast - even racing sick.
2006-11-05 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

I"m not buying that you weren't feeling well-- putting up times like that !    Must have the new aero helmet!  haha

Seriously, glad you're feeling better and were able to race!! Great job man!  Randy wouldn't be that BYU swimmer would he???

GOOD JOB

2006-11-05 11:21 PM
in reply to: #589425

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Thanks for the kind words, guys. 

I was feeling much better than earlier in the week, but was still just a little dehydrated.  I don't think it slowed me down much, though.  If anything, it just made me go easy to make sure I'd feel good through the race.

Randy beat me out of transition by a few seconds before I had to turn around, so no he wasn't the BYU swimmer.  The one who passed me was actually the top female athlete.  And boy did she blow past me in the water!  She was flying.

2006-11-06 3:01 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Nice race Dave... you never cease to amaze me on that two-wheeled machine!  Wish I could figure out how to turn my wheels that fast!  You had an excellent race...

I found it pretty amusing that you felt it was an "off" day!  I tried hanging with you on the run and couldn't, so what you're telling me is that I haven't got a prayer of beating you when you're actually running healthy!  You're getting pretty consistent with those top rankings... you'll be contending for the top three podium positions regularly pretty soon!

Keep up the good work, and keep inspiring!  We all appreciate it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Telos Turkey Tri Rss Feed