General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » This time I am actually going to do one... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-03 9:55 AM

Washington, DC
Subject: This time I am actually going to do one...
Hello everyone,
Since I have been lurking for a while and have even made a couple of posts I thought it was time to identify myself. Some of this was posted elsewhere before.

Two years ago I decided that I was going to do a triathlon. I needed something to keep me motivated through exercise, and had toyed with the idea since high school (8 years ago or so). I swam in high school, and lifeguarded at both pools in the ocean. People at the pool used to come up to me and say that they were training for a tri, and I realized that I could swim at least as well as most of them could, plus I biked recreationally.

I trained for 6+ months for what was supposed to be my first tri. I did a run-swim-run, and a bunch of 5Ks in the course of the training, and was undoubtedly in the best shape of my life. Then about 2 months before it caught a cold. It shouldn't have been a big deal, but it turned into some sort of kind of serious lung infection that was never conclusively diagnosed and took over a month to get rid of. It wasn't pneumonia or bronchitis, so they finally decided that I must have asthma, although I have never had a symptom before or since. Anyway, I finally could breathe again 3 weeks before the tri, but with my severly reduced lung capacity and 6 weeks of almost no exercise there was no way I could compete. It was really frustrating standing on the sidelines while I watched my friends finish the race, especially since I was the one who had gotten them all involved in the first place. Unfortunately it was also the end of the season, so I did a 10K in October and tried to be satisfied with that.

Last year I decided that I was going to do the same tri. I had fallen really out of shape in the winter, so spring tris were out. I didn't really get my motivation up until July for a September tri, but still thought I could do it. I paid the entrance fee and everything, but after a month of training it was obvious that I wasn't going to be able to compete that year either. I just couldn't get myself to the point of being able to run more than 2 miles, and having been in good enough shape the year before that I should have been in the middle of the pack, I couldn't face the idea of barely finishing. So I quit. Hurricane Isabel ended up canceling the tri, and offered me an easy excuse to why I didn't do it. In truth, I had given up weeks before hand.

This year I am 30 lbs heavier than I was 2 years ago, and I need to put an end to the weight gain. I have started running again, joined Master's (although I need to start going more often) and am trying to get some biking in. Since I again didn't start exercising until late in the season, I am going to aim for something next spring. This fall is just too soon for the shape I am in, especially as I have a lot of travel this August. I also want to be able to take my time to build a base and lose some of this excess weight before I start hard training.

I have been lurking on this site a fair amount and it really does help increase my motivation on those days that I just don't have it.
I have even convinced my boyfriend that he wants to do one with me, and he has been great at getting us both out and moving. I can only hope that I manage to remain motivated this time and finally complete a tri, but I have been on a longer streak of training than I have been in two years.

I'm also getting really tired of saying that I am going to do this and then backing out. I don't think most of my friends even believe me at this point.

Anyway, this has been a little long winded, but if anyone is in the DC area and wants to go for a (kind of slow) bike ride let me know!

2004-08-03 10:44 AM
in reply to: #42945

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: This time I am actually going to do one...
Welcome!  Yes you will find more than enough motivation on this site!  Hang in there.  Write down a long term goal (i.e., your tri) and then break it into smaller goals for the time until the tri.  When you need support, we're here for you!
2004-08-03 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Welcome Beth! And don't be too harsh on yourself. Today is a brand new day, and we're glad to have you here. This site is such a great place for info, motivation and laughs. Make yourself at home!

Dana
2004-08-03 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

u will get there...sometimes the engine sputters a little before coming to life...but when it does....WHOA!  what has happened to you has happened to most of us...dont underestimate your abilites though, many of us end up finishing a tri quite happily even though there was significant deviation from the training plan...

best of luck...i am gonna want that race report on my desk no later than this upcoming spring!

2004-08-03 9:51 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-Spot!
2004-08-04 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Welcome to the site. Good luck....

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » This time I am actually going to do one... Rss Feed