General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion not the be-all end-all? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-03 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Subject: Total Immersion not the be-all end-all?
If you've spent any amount of time doing the total immersion drills you must have asked yourself at least once is this killing my speed? Not that I pay attention to other tri sites but heres a somewhat opposite-total immersion article. More volume less drilling that I found interesting as this is a concern of mine.

http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/swim/000535.php

I know there are tons of TI fans here but is there anyone out there who might feel that TI although improving technique has negatively impacted your speed performance?

2004-08-03 3:32 PM
in reply to: #43140

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Total Immersion not the be-all end-all?

I've heard that from other people too.  However, they also said that in the long run, their time improved - it just took a long time to get there.

I took swim lessons with a coach who really did not care for TI.  I've found that TI helped me relearn how to swim.  and I can incorporate it with everything I learned in swim class (non TI).  Maybe the combo of TI with other areas of thought in the swim world is best. 

2004-08-03 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
I'm posting so I get emailed with others thoughts/feelings/opinions about the program....i'm interested in hearing....

2004-08-03 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
it's hard for me to know. i watched the dvd and started using the techniques, but it was at the beginning of my training, so i have nothing to compare it to. i have wondered if i would swim faster if i tried other techniques, but i'm kind of afraid to try because i've worked on this for so long. i'm curious to hear what others have to say...
2004-08-03 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
I can't help myself (lol) :

For me, a lousy swimmer to begin with, who never had ANY formal training in swimming, TI did wonders (IMHO). Where I was swimming 2:30 to 2:40's at a certain pool, after 45 minutes of doing the 1st 4 or 5 drills, I swam 2-100's in 2:03 and 1:57 (training log April 9). With less legs and less exertion.

The only reason I keep posting on this subject is because I know how much I struggled with swimming - HATED going to the pool. I said before that TI was the BEST return on investment I've had in Tri'ing and I still believe it. And if there's someone in that same boat it might be worth the cost to them. (I HONESTLY did not believe it was going to help me and that I was wasting 65 bucks.)

We all know there is no ONE magic tonic that works the same for all of us - whether its bikes, running shoes, wetsuits etc etc etc. I'm sure there are people with just as negative an opinion of TI as mine is positive - post it here. That's one of the things I love about this site is the INDEPENDENT, UNBIASED personal opinions of the users here.

BTW, I quit doing the drills after a few weeks and went back to working on distance, and my times have slowed to around 2:05 (Tri time was 2:09), but I can keep that up without any difficult for 1.2 miles, and probably further.

GO T"WEEKER PINKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only 13 squares to go!

/Gary
2004-08-03 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
My knowledge of TI comes from a few posts I've read on this website and the link from this thread. That being said, I'm a fairly accomplished swimmer, so I'll wade in.

Stroke technique is VERY important for swimming. There is no quicker way for a beginning swimmer to drop time then by fixing the mechanics of his/her stroke. BUT. Improved stroke technique can only get one so far. You'll plateau. In order for one to keep progressing at a steady rate, increased yds and interval work are necessary.

The question to ask is: what does one want? If you're content with being a competent swimmer then T1 will work...but if you wish for more, then use T1 as a stepping stone.

I do a set or so of drills in every practice, but for the majority of the work-out I'm doing interval work.

2004-08-04 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
I think I'm going to hang up TI until the off season in October. Maybe I'll find a coach in my area and get some regular TI instruction. My swim is certainly nothing to write home about but its not that bad Im looking to decrease my 100's from 2:15-2:20 to closer to 1:45-2:00. I should be able to get that just in improving my navigation and working on not having to breathe every stroke.
2004-08-04 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Yeah Soup, I'll second that navigation training. I think I was at the "America's Cup" Triathlon Sunday the way I was tacking back and forth. Although I'm not quite sure how to really WORK on it.

Gary
2004-08-04 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Perhaps Miss Seize The Day (crpadiem) up there can offer some advice as she diiiiiiid take a course in open water swimming. I thought for sure there would be a full article with complete instructions on BT but its yet to be seen.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion not the be-all end-all? Rss Feed