General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Way to judge Z1/Z2 without HRM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-07 11:05 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: Way to judge Z1/Z2 without HRM?

Is there a way to approximate when you are in Zone1/Zone2 without a HRM?   A lot of the base building plans tell you to keep in those zones, but I don't have a monitor.   I don' t really have the cash at the moment and honestly I would rather learn how to "read my body" so to speak.  Any thoughts?

2006-11-08 12:54 AM
in reply to: #592403

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: RE: Way to judge Z1/Z2 without HRM?
I don't know if this will be much help but you could, periodically, during your exercise stop (or at least slow down) and take your pulse. This will allow you to determine your heart rate and correlate that with how your perceived rate of exertion.
2006-11-08 12:59 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

The following article describes how you should feel in the various zones:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=630

For the most part, you'll be training in Zone 2 (Endurance) for base building.  In this zone, you should feel like you can go for a long time.  Your breathing shouldn't be labored.  You should easily be able to carry on a conversation.  Zone 1 (Recovery) of course would be a little less than this.

The other zone that you'd probably train in periodically would be Z4, which is pretty much 5k race pace.  You can extend beyond it a little bit for short intervals or slow it down just a bit for longer "tempo" runs.

I'd highly recommend getting a cheap HR monitor when you get a chance, though.  I use a Polar FS1, which retails for under $50.  Works like a charm.  I find that sometimes my HR will drift based on various factors, such as lack of sleep or overtraining.  I've run without it for years, but feel that I've learned more about my body by monitoring my HR.

2006-11-08 1:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
One rule of thumb that I use is whether I can breath through my nose... Z1/Z2 I should be able to breath through my nose easily to just not quite able to (blow your nose first )
2006-11-08 5:49 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
I was given this tip before I bought a HRM:

Zone 2 is working hard enough that you can hear yourself breathing,
but you have to be able to talk without a lot of extra effort.

This works well if training with a partner as you can have a conversation while exersizing.

When by myself before my HRM I would attempt to sing with a chorus of a song playing on my MP3 player just loud enough that I could hear the words.
2006-11-08 6:53 AM

User image

Runner
First, I applaud your desire to learn more about your body.

Second, to answer your question...."Conversational pace" is generally a difficult term to describe. I can talk, but how labored should it be? You could sort of base it on pace, too, assuming you have a recent race t judge against.

I generally go at a rate that allows me to say hello to everyone I pass, and say hi to the dogs. It shouldn't hurt, either, so if you get to a hill and find yourself having to slow down or really struggle up it, you're going too hard early.

Trust me, all of this takes practice. Eventually you sort of learn what a good speed is, and how it feels, and you'll almost naturally fall into it, without hardly thinking about it. That's the best part.

2006-11-08 7:53 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
The coversational running is good advice, however based on my experience I would say most runners need to find what they feel is coversational and then go just a little easier in order to actually hit z2.

If you have any recent running results you can go to a pace calculator (http://www.runbayou.com) and it will generate an estimated pace for endurance running. It will probably seem really slow when you start, however running at this pace should allow you to run more with less chance of injury.

Good luck,

Shane
2006-11-08 8:22 AM

User image

, Texas

For running, go to the library and get Jack Daniels Running Formula. It will give you some training paces based on run types. It should be fairly easy to translate the HRM zones to pace zones. Run based on pace and it will validate what these different intensities should feel like. IMHO, it's almost impossible to learn what it should feel like from advice on the internet. You need some hard, concrete validation which is where the HRM or pace tables come into play.

For cycling, I'm not sure how to validate the effort since wind, hills, etc have a more signifigant impact to speed than in running.

2006-11-08 8:32 AM

Using training paces is great if you don't have your HRM ... here's a link I like:

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/vo2.php<-- to predict VO2 from a race
http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/tp.php<-- to get training paces based on VO2

When I started the Z1/Z2 training, I had to run a little slower than these paces to keep my heart rate low enough. Now that I have something of a base, I am finding that these paces line up with my zones (under normal conditions).

Edited by danielle860 2006-11-08 8:33 AM
2006-11-08 9:47 AM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Thanks for the tips.   I'll try them out and maybe some one will give me a HRM for Christmas
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Way to judge Z1/Z2 without HRM? Rss Feed