General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Breakthrough! (long) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-04 12:35 PM

Subject: Swimming Breakthrough! (long)
I kept reading about everyone's "swimming breakthroughs" and, although I was hoping for the same, I was beginning to think it couldn't happen. Alas, last night was my breakthrough! I just got back into running about 5 months ago, and have been riding for a couple years on and off. Since I had NO swimming experience, not even in high school, I didn't think a triathlon would be realistic for me. About 5 weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and signed up for a class at the Y. It wasn't much of a class (i.e. very little instruction), but it did force me to swim at least 1X a week for an hour. The Laps were tough and my breathing sloppy. Even though I was getting frustrated, I kept at it. I signed up for a masters swim program and a free clinic, which was last Sunday. The clinic really did me in! Last night was my lap swim class at the Y. I'm not sure what happened between last week and this week, but last night was a breeze!! My breathing was great and I was hardly out of breath after 80yds! I was like a giddy little kid after class!! I would definitely call this a breakthrough! I have my first master’s class at 6am on Friday! I can't wait! I was hoping to be ready for the Long Beach Tri Sept. 26, because I didn't think LA would be realistic. But now I think I may be able to do the sprint on Sept. 12! I'll keep everyone posted. I'll also post an introduction in the other section in case anyone is interested! Thanks!

2004-08-04 12:51 PM
in reply to: #43531

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Swimming Breakthrough! (long)
Woo hoo! Good for you! I love it when a workout feels like FUN!
2004-08-04 12:55 PM

New user

Plymouth, MA
Nice work!! Can you tell me about the clinic? I've got my first tri at the end of September and so far I've only been in the water once. I was thinking about heading over to the Y for for a class...but if the clinic thing is better, maybe I'll give that a whirl.

Kimberly
2004-08-04 1:13 PM

Hi Kimberly,
The clinic was through the Southern California Aquatic Masters Swim Team. Check out Swim.net, and you may be able to find s/thing in your area. The classes at the Y helped me get in the pool and work on my endurance and application of skills I read about on this site. I would recommend at least a semi-private class with an instructor who knows what he/she is doing. Then again, your local Y may have better instructors than my local Y.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
2004-08-04 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Crongrats on the swimming

Hearing your success story (along with others) using the Master's class, I'm finally convinced that's what I need to do to.
Thanks for the inspiration that yes maybe one day I can swim like a fish too!

cheers
2004-08-04 4:25 PM

Regular
AWESOME!

I love it when that happens.

Good luck in your sprint!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Breakthrough! (long) Rss Feed