General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Clearwater 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-13 4:30 PM

Clearwater,FL
Subject: Clearwater 70.3
Hi Everyone

I just found this forum. I am really excited as I saw my first triathlon up close and personal on Saturday and what a good one!

I work in Real Estate here on the beach and I decided to come into the office because of all the people down here. Well, at 7am I was on the pier watching the swimers and I was hooked from the beginning. I have rarely enjoyed an event that much. So much for work, I said screw it and I spent the day watching the race. I found it emotional. I picked my wife up at 2.30 and told her she had to experience this. We got there just in time to see Rudy cross the finish line along with Sara and the oldest man in the race at 81. I forget his name. It was very emotional and not a few peope were crying.

I have tried many different activities, weight training, kickboxing, ninjitsu, running and I bodyboard a lot here in Clearwater (in fact Jay Reale from whom I just bought a board last week, the owner of ebodyboarding.com was in town for the race, another weird coincidence)

Anyway, I have decided to start working out and get into Triathalon racing. My goal is to eventually compete right here at the 70.3 world championship eventually. I figure it is best to aim high!

Thanks for this site and I am stoked to get all the great information. I am open to any suggestions. I am 41 and have been relatively inactive except for bodyboarding the past few years.

2006-11-13 4:45 PM
in reply to: #598047

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: Clearwater 70.3

Welcome, Hawk, to the forums!  Moved this post to the 'introduce yourself' section as that's a great spot to jump off into BT-land.  I'm glad (but not surprised) you've been 'inspired' by the tremendous efforts and accomplishments of the 703. athletes.  It's an amazing event, and it's admirable that you've got your sights set on it...

Best of luck, and enjoy the training that'll get you there.

2006-11-13 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Excellent!
You picked a great area to get into the sport.
Let me recommend you get "involved" with the sport by surfing the BT site, joining the St. Pete Mad Dogs, and volunteering at a tri or duathlon, you can learn a ton by being on the sidelines.
70.3 championships will be back next year, think about volunteering, I did it this year and I shook Sarah, Rudy, and several other awesome athlete's hands at the finish line!
Welcome to BT!!!
2006-11-13 6:01 PM
in reply to: #598066

Clearwater,FL
Stitch26.2 - 2006-11-12 5:49 PM

Excellent!
Let me recommend you get "involved" with the sport by surfing the BT site, joining the St. Pete Mad Dogs, and volunteering at a tri or duathlon, you can learn a ton by being on the sidelines.
70.3 championships will be back next year, think about volunteering, I did it this year and I shook Sarah, Rudy, and several other awesome athlete's hands at the finish line!
Welcome to BT!!!

Thanks for the advice! I must have seen you there, we were right at the bottom of the bleachers when Rudy came in at the finish. Were you giving out the medals?

I would have volunteered but it was so low key for such a big event that I did not really know about the volunteering opportunity. I will do some in the future, my sister in law who just ran her first marathon will be training as well, she too got the bug!

Are the St Pete Mad dogs just in St Pete or are they up this way too?
2006-11-14 1:44 PM
in reply to: #598115

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Hawk1964 - 2006-11-13 7:01 PM

Stitch26.2 - 2006-11-12 5:49 PM

Excellent!
Welcome to BT!!!

Thanks for the advice! I must have seen you there, we were right at the bottom of the bleachers when Rudy came in at the finish. Were you giving out the medals?

I would have volunteered but it was so low key for such a big event that I did not really know about the volunteering opportunity. I will do some in the future, my sister in law who just ran her first marathon will be training as well, she too got the bug!

Are the St Pete Mad dogs just in St Pete or are they up this way too?

Yep, my friend and I were a 2 girl team with medals and towels. I was towel girl! hahaha.
St. Pete Mad Dogs are everywhere, quite literally. But they originate in St. Pete and do a lot of activities you might be interested in, such as open water swim.
One of the main reasons the area is so nice to learn the sport is that we have excellent places to ride with no traffic (or nearly no traffic). Let me recommend the Pinellas Trail, Ft. Desoto Park, the Suncoast Trail, and any number of parks such as Flatwoods.
Glad to read your sis-in-law is also interested!
2006-11-16 4:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina

Welcome Hawk, I must be a few months older then you, I assume the 1964 was your birthyear. My goal is to complete the 70.3 as well. Let us know when you start logging so you can be blogged.

2006-11-17 5:21 PM

Clearwater,FL
Thanks everyone for the welcome. I went to chainwheel dr yesterday and bought a bike! Lots of money to get this sport started and that is entry level! I must say that Hank at chainwheel is extremely helpful and got me the right bike and has lots of good advice.

How does the blogging/logging thing work. I assume you do some kind of bloggong after you start logging training time?
2006-11-21 8:39 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Clearwater 70.3 Rss Feed