General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chronic helath condition and fatigue, help? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-17 2:40 PM

Subject: Chronic helath condition and fatigue, help?
It's hard to motivate myself to get up in the morning and workout, or to do it after work, and I know I like it and I'll feel better once I get started. Here's the BUT! I have colitis and b/c of the colitis I don't absorb vitamins and nutrients and all that good stuff like most folks even though my illness is currently under control. Because of the stuff I'm lacking I'm fatigued from the get go. I'll be starting a new Rx to help boost my vitmains/minerals and try and get back to 'normal', but I don't know how long it takes and just am hoping for some motivation/inspiration. Is there anyone else out there who feels this way? My friend is a great motivation, she inspired me to run my first 5k (Thanks Andrea!) and I hope to sign up for a 10k in March with her, but right now I'm just feel 'bahh'. I hope this website can help keep me more accountable, but it's unfortanately not a constant thing for me (I have limited computer access, only at work, 4 days a week). Looking for that silver lining kids! Any info, feedback, warm fuzzies, suck it up comments, whatever! send it my way.
Thanks and take care!

Edited by starryskies78 2006-11-17 2:40 PM

2006-11-17 4:21 PM
in reply to: #602508

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Chronic helath condition and fatigue, help?
Well, one silver lining is that almost all of your nutrients get absorbed well before your colon.  Any sorta of chronic medical condition can certainly cause fatigue and other symptoms, but I wouldn't necessarily pin it much on the malabsorption issue.
2006-11-17 4:44 PM
in reply to: #602646

yeah. most absorption is actually in the small intestine, where the colon does more water absorption, which makes me worry about making sure i get enough fluids and such (beyond trying to be active and having enough liquid). For some odd reason my body isn't getting what it needs though, so I've had iron infusions for severe anemia and now a new med. ah... i babble. thank you for the info and support!

Edited by starryskies78 2006-11-17 4:45 PM
2006-11-17 5:29 PM
in reply to: #602662

User image

Champion

Babbling is what I do best.

Maybe you're just lazy like me. 

starryskies78 - 2006-11-17 4:44 PM ah... i babble. thank you for the info and support!

2006-11-17 5:53 PM
in reply to: #602692

Oh, I'm totally lazy! Thank goodness for those chronic illness scapegoats! muwahaha
2006-11-17 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Zealand

Hey there,  I have Crohns disease which affects my small and large colon, currently I am in remission.  I am going to a nutritionist at the moment and I get vitamin B12 injections - the terminal ileum is where B vitamins get absorbed.  I am also on an iron tonic.  You''re fatigue is quite likely caused by some  nutrient deficiency - I have been feeling heaps better since I have been on these supplements (I'm also on a magenium supplement as well)

Maybe you could head along to a nutritionist for a chat?  It has really worked for me  

2006-11-17 8:14 PM
in reply to: #602771

User image

Champion

Your Crohn's affects your small intestine as well.  As stated above, not much is absorbed in the colon itself.  I doubt highly that a nutritional deficit is the culprit.

kellyg - 2006-11-17 8:11 PM

Hey there,  I have Crohns disease which affects my small and large colon, currently I am in remission.  I am going to a nutritionist at the moment and I get vitamin B12 injections - the terminal ileum is where B vitamins get absorbed.  I am also on an iron tonic.  You''re fatigue is quite likely caused by some  nutrient deficiency - I have been feeling heaps better since I have been on these supplements (I'm also on a magenium supplement as well)

Maybe you could head along to a nutritionist for a chat?  It has really worked for me  

2006-11-17 8:28 PM
in reply to: #602771

I have met with a nutritionist before and it was helpful, I'd like to again. Unfortunately I still wasn't getting what I needed. The deficiency w/ B12 and folic acid was discovered at a recent dr appointment. How do they do the iron tonic? I've had to get infusions (which is time consuming, but helpful). I can't take a supplement (i.e. pill) b/c colitis patients don't tolerate them well (side effects=vomiting and not very good absorption). How often do you get the B12 injections? My most recent colonoscopy does have some info about the ilieum being effected, but I'm not considered Crohn's, and I am in remission (or the colitis is controlled). I understand my fatigue may also be linked with the medication I take to control the Colitis. My dr informed me it was most likely the combo of malabsorbtion and meds. Sorry for all the personal questions, but anything you can share would be great.
Thank you
2006-11-17 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Zealand

Hey there, I can't take the iron tablets either, they upset my guts, so the iron tonic you mix with water and take it prior to eating.  The B12 injections I get about every 6 weeks, by having the injection it gets straight into your system, so there are no problems with absorption.

Due to absorption problems, I probably don't get the full effect from the iron tonic, but can tolerate it a lot better than the pills and have been feeling a lot better since I have been taking it, plus after the first B12 injection I felt fantastic, I must have really been lacking it.

2006-11-17 10:55 PM

yeah, i know after my first iron infusion i began to feel great/normal! I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Thanks again for all the information.
2006-11-17 10:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Zealand
No worries, any other questions send me a message or pop over to my logs, although Crohns and Colitis are a bit different, my sister in law has colitis and had surgery, plus I have another friend with Colitis too so I'll try and answer any q's

2006-11-20 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
I have patients with Crohn's and various types of colitis and most do really well with IV vitamins and minerals. It follows the theory of getting B12 shots - bypasses intestinal absorption, gets straight into your system, and can be given in higher concentrations than oral supplementation. I use a combination of calcium, magnesium, folic acid, trace minerals, zinc, selenium, B vitamins and vitamin C (often called a Myers Cocktail). You might see if any doctors/ naturopathic doctors in your area offer this. It definitely helps with energy for those with chronic illness, but I also give myself such treatments after hard workouts/ races and it helps with recovery immensely.

Nicola
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chronic helath condition and fatigue, help? Rss Feed