Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Looking for some off season fun?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-18 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Looking for some off season fun??

Here is a suggestion:  http://www.forestcityvelodrome.ca

Totallyworth the money and super fun.  I went last night and can't wait to get back there.  Not sure if, or where there are other tracks in Ontario.  There is a thread in Triathlon Talk worth a read if you are looking for more info.  

Cheers 

2006-11-27 8:52 AM
in reply to: #602925

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: RE: Looking for some off season fun??

I used to ride on the velodrome in Montreal after the Olyimpics in 76.  I was a blast until you fell of your bike and slid down the steep track on your head.  

Elly  Get yourself over the the Challange thead and sign yourself up for the dec. swim challange team Crazy Canucks 

Mike

2006-11-27 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Don't you worry, I've signed up
2007-05-11 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I really wanna check out teh forest city velodrome, just to watch first. How is it to ride? Is it begginner friendly? or would people look down on me?
2007-05-11 12:22 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

Wow, that would be a blast!  I've never ridden in a velodrome but would love to.  Imagne, no traffic, no kids, no pets, no potholes, stop signs or traffic lights.  It has all the advantages of riding on a trainer without the disadvantages of riding on the road.  I

Is there still a velodrome in Montreal?  It would be much closer for me than Waterloo.

2007-05-11 2:36 PM
in reply to: #797236

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario

newbie13 - 2007-05-11 1:07 PM I really wanna check out teh forest city velodrome, just to watch first. How is it to ride? Is it begginner friendly? or would people look down on me?

The have it set up such that all newbies must take the Track One course before you can go on your own to ride.  So in that respect, its very beginner friendly as all the people in your Track One session are beginners too.  I've since gone back and done my Track Two where we learnt how to pass and some more technical skills of riding.  I've never gone for a recreational ride, so I don't know what the atmosphere is like.  My experience was very positive and encouraging, so I would have a tough time believing the rec ride would be anything less.  Give it a try, lots of fun!

2007-05-14 9:18 AM
in reply to: #797542

Regular
Guelph, ON
I did track 1 and stayed for rec riding. Big difference. Track riding is pretty easy when you have lots of space as yo do in the class, but when you are out there with other riders in close quarters at high speed it was quite intense and intimidating. HOWEVER- what a blast. If you can stick to your line and stay towards the bottom of the track you will be fine. The faster riders stay higher ont he boards.

One of the regulars told me you need a couple thousand laps before you can really get comfortable on the track. I believe it- I estimate I did about 500 laps that day and was getting more comfortable through the session. I plan to go back for track 2 at some point.

Someone asked about cost- I think the track session was $30, and you can stay for 3h of rec riding as part of that (after your 2h track 1 class).
2007-05-14 11:16 AM
in reply to: #799425

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario

KKoole - 2007-05-14 10:18 AM I did track 1 and stayed for rec riding. Big difference. Track riding is pretty easy when you have lots of space as yo do in the class, but when you are out there with other riders in close quarters at high speed it was quite intense and intimidating. HOWEVER- what a blast. If you can stick to your line and stay towards the bottom of the track you will be fine. The faster riders stay higher ont he boards. One of the regulars told me you need a couple thousand laps before you can really get comfortable on the track. I believe it- I estimate I did about 500 laps that day and was getting more comfortable through the session. I plan to go back for track 2 at some point. Someone asked about cost- I think the track session was $30, and you can stay for 3h of rec riding as part of that (after your 2h track 1 class).

re:cost.  I think the 30$ also includes the bike rental and I found that my money was well spent.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Looking for some off season fun?? Rss Feed