General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phoenix Area folks - High Pollution Advisories Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-20 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA
Subject: Phoenix Area folks - High Pollution Advisories

Hey, I was just wondering if these at all affected your training schedules and if you alter your plans at all if they get announced. I know I personally try to avoid going outside for long periods of time when I see there's an HPA because I know my lungs are going to feel funky during and afterwards, and in the back of my mind I'm always paranoid about the long term effects of breathing in all the crap in the air.

It feels like kind of a lame excuse to me to reschedule my workouts around the HPAs, but it's not typical bad weather - it's particulate matter in the air that can probably be harmful. I used to bike commute in 15 degree weather in Boston and I felt fine about doing that, but rescheduling stuff on a nice 75-degree day because they say the air is bad to breathe just feels strange.  

Opinions? Ideas? I'm really just curious as to whether I'm just being super paranoid. 

2006-11-20 1:50 PM
in reply to: #604091

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Phoenix Area folks - High Pollution Advisories
One of the many reasons I live in Fountain Hills . Almost an extra 1000 feet of elevation above the valley plus the natural barrier of the McDowells keeps the bad air away. Some days on my runs up to the top of town, I look down over the valley and see the yellow layer of smog stretching from Mesa all the way west to downtown.
2006-11-20 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
We also seem to be out of the worst of the pollution, living in the mountains to the west of Phx. We're not at a very high elevation but we really notice it when we drive down to the city. My son had a bad asthma attack this weekend when we were at a park in Scottsdale. I guess I worry more about my kids health in HPAs than mine. Hopefully the breeze today will help clear up the pollution, or it will blow more dust, not sure which is worse? I usually run early in the am, it's too dark to notice the pollution.
2006-12-05 3:44 PM

User image

Mesa
It seems most often to be towards either South Mountain or the White Tanks. It is always one or the other... today the bulk of the pollution looks to be out West in the White Tank mountains.

The high pollution advisories often come when we do not receive rain for a long time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phoenix Area folks - High Pollution Advisories Rss Feed