General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Denver area running store recomendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-20 11:03 PM

New user

Lander, WY
Subject: Denver area running store recomendations?
Hey folks,

Seems that there aren't any running stores up here in Wyoming and I've got no clue about what I need/should buy. So I'm planning a trip to Denver sometime after New Years and want to go ahead and get this recomendation out of the way.

Who in, or around, Denver... or even points north off I-25... is competant at fitting shoes to clueless Clydesdales?

I'm tried of sales clerks saying "Well I run a lot.... we have X, Y, and Z brands.. X are narrow, Y are wide and Z, I hear, are just junk". And then repeating, almost verbatim, when I ask them about pronation/supnation... what fit normal arch, etc. I want someone to tell me something I can't learn from Google searches (like, what I should try and will keep me from getting hurt ~ 260lbs pounding on knees and ankles Can't be good).

Thanks Very much in advance!

2006-11-21 1:27 AM
in reply to: #604568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Denver area running store recomendations?
I just got fitted for new shoes at the Boulder Running Company, and it was very thorough.   We talked about how/when/where I ran, and she had me run on the treadmill several times with several different shoes until I found the best one (and not necessarily the most expensive one).  As it turns out, it was the same shoe that Runners Roost put me into several years ago.  Boulder Running Company does not have a store in the north end, but Runners Roost has one in Fort Collins.  Give either a try; I've never been disappointed with either.
2006-11-21 8:56 AM

User image

Expert

rjba2000 is spot on!  It's really hard to go wrong with the Runner's Roost and Boulder Running Company stores.  I always go to the Runner's Roost in Aurora, but have been to the one in Ft. Collins too.  Just take your current shoes w/ ya and explain that you're not too sure what type of shoe would be best.  They'll probably have you run on a treadmill so they can observe and record your gait.  Then they'll be able to bring out a few pair of shoes that might work for you.  You'll try them on, get on the treadmill and do the gait analysis again.  I'll might sound like a girl saying this, but shoe shopping is just plain fun.  I love new running shoes!

2006-11-21 10:17 AM

New user

Lander, WY
Thanks! We normally stay in Aurora, so it sounds like a good store is close. Wonder what they'll do when I tell them I can't run on the treadmill as I haven't run in 20+ years (I'm doing the couch to 5k over 7 months program, still in the first month as I don't have any "shoes", just work boots... I'm not about to try running in 4~5lb, steel toed work boots ) Hopefully just walking will be enough, though I may be able to get a light jog on for a little bit.

Anyway, Much appreciated for the info. It's recorded, and map to the store being printed out as I type this.

2006-11-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: #604926

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO

Brian_M - 2006-11-21 10:17 AM Thanks! We normally stay in Aurora, so it sounds like a good store is close. Wonder what they'll do when I tell them I can't run on the treadmill as I haven't run in 20+ years (I'm doing the couch to 5k over 7 months program, still in the first month as I don't have any "shoes", just work boots... I'm not about to try running in 4~5lb, steel toed work boots ) Hopefully just walking will be enough, though I may be able to get a light jog on for a little bit. Anyway, Much appreciated for the info. It's recorded, and map to the store being printed out as I type this.

You'll only be on it for a minute or less, at a comfortable speed for you.  Don't worry--just tell them where you are, what your goals are, how often you want to run, and where you are likely to do it.  Trust me, they've seen it before, and they are there to help you get the best shoe possible.  They don't want you to get hurt and quit running, especially since that means you won't be buying from them anymore, but they are runners themselves and they want everyone to find joy in the sport!

And I agree with TriForrestTri.  I hate shopping but that was fun.  I even picked up the iPod nano attachment so I can join the challenge that is going on here every month.

Edited by rjba2000 2006-11-21 10:38 AM
2006-11-21 10:42 AM
in reply to: #604995

User image

Master
Colorado

"I even picked up the iPod nano attachment so I can join the challenge that is going on here every month"

What is that????

2006-11-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: #605013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
regimom - 2006-11-21 10:42 AM

"I even picked up the iPod nano attachment so I can join the challenge that is going on here every month"

What is that????

Do you mean the challenge or the iPod nano attachment?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Denver area running store recomendations? Rss Feed