General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Vegetarian Experiment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2006-11-29 8:33 PM
in reply to: #605739

Clearwater,FL
Subject: RE: The Vegetarian Experiment
I think that one could write and debate for days and days on this....wait a minute that is what is happening!

I truly believe that for teh correct answers for each of us, it is very unique to each of our makeups. I believe that ayurvedic medicine, the oldest form of medicine is closest to the truth because of the 6000 yrs of studying the human body. It would fill volumes but suffice to say that ayurvedic breaks the human constitution, not just physical but total into 3 different types, veta, pitta & kapha. The ideal is a balance but few have that, we usually are heavy on one or two. Vedic texts teach that what is good for one may be totally harmful to another. Example, Vit C may be great for kapha types but seriously imbalances veta or why can one thrive on heavy spices and one hardly any at all sets them off? It is always consistent with vedic type. Research it, you may be pleasantly surprised. here in St Pete is one of the very few genuine Indian ayurvedic physicians in the country. he was chief at Indias biggest ayurvedic hospital for 9 yrs. www.vedictherapy.com

The study of ayurvedic provides many answers, I have had my life changed by it. In the end, we know this stuff, intrinsically. Our bodies, if we are in touch with them inform us with subtle signals. In it's essence, if it does not feel right to you when you start to eat it, it probably is not

2006-11-29 9:09 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
< very defensive post ahead...skip over if you've heard my diabetic rants lately >

Can we please for my own sake, take the time to write out Type 2 diabetes? Please? It makes me want to SPIT when people talk about diabetes as if it is one disease. It isn't. Type 1 and Type 2 are different from each other in their treatment and in how people contract it.

The misleading hype about Type 2 diabetes is what makes people think it is OK to come up to me and ask me, "So, you were really fat as a kid?"

• ..umm...do I know you?

• "We'll diabetes is a fat people disease, so you must have been really fat, right?"

• ...ummmm...do I know you?

• True. Story. It's offensive to people who contracted Type 1 through other means (autoimmune response like myself, or genetics) to tell other people that diabetes with no distinction as to type, is reversible through diet.

Type 2 diabetes is typically controllable through diet/exercise and oral medication.

Type 1 diabetics are DEPENDENT on their insulin, through shots, pump or inhaler or whatever. They CANNOT reverse this disease. If you know of a way to kick start the pancreas, BT, please, lemme know. Otherwise, I'm donating my ovaries to stem cell research.

Just like the other poster said, I am also surprised this isn't bigger news considering what an epidemic Type II diabetes has become in our society. Seems like a simple solution yet people choose to eat crap and inject themselves with needles? Not sure if I buy it completely.

I really want to show this to the kids I spent a week with on the diabetes ward when I was diagnosed. A bunch of 9 year olds, sick and scared out of their minds. Yep, we chose it by eating crap.
    I never CHOSE to inject myself with needles. It is what had to be done. Do you know how much it SUCKS to have to carry around needles at the age of 9? To have to test your blood 5+++ times a day, every day, for the rest of your life? I don't think anyone would chose to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on the medication and specialization to treat this shite disease. It sucks, and I am very very very tired of the attitude that it is "what we deserved" (true story, heard that one day).

Edited by phoenixazul 2006-11-29 9:11 PM
    2006-11-30 8:47 AM
    in reply to: #611798

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
    Bronze member
    phoenixazul - 2006-11-29 9:09 PM

< very defensive post ahead...skip over if you've heard my diabetic rants lately >

I am so confused. Original poster states that Type 2 is an epidemic, not Type 1... and there is a simple solution to Type II as you both stated...

You and the 9-year-old kids have Type 1, right?

2006-11-30 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
    Portland

phoenixazul - 2006-11-29 10:09 PM 

Can we please for my own sake, take the time to write out Type 2 diabetes? Please? It makes me want to SPIT when people talk about diabetes as if it is one disease. It isn't. Type 1 and Type 2 are different from each other

AND...write out diabetes mellitus.  Don't want to confuse anybody with Diabetes insipidus.Innocent

2006-11-30 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    GolfMark wrote:
    <<>>

Phoenix wrote:

I am not sure if you were responding to me directly. But I put a question mark at the end in that I questioned that people would prefer to eat crap and inject themselves instead. And that is why I even clarified that I don't buy it. That is why I am not even sure of that guy who claimed 100% reversability in people who took on his diet.

Cheers

2006-11-30 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Well I for one am a former bodybuilder (non-steroid using) that used to eat nothing but lean cuts of meat and grilled vegetables with a low amount of carbs, and though I looked incredible physically, I never felt that great. I just read the first three pages of this thread and skimmed the rest.

I am not currently a vegetarian but I have played with the idea, and I have gone vegan for one month and felt incredibly good (but I didn't have the money and time to maintain that type of lifestyle). I lost weight and thinned out some, but I had energy and felt cleaner/lighter during the day. I know Reg Park, a pretty famous bodybuilder was a vegan and even convinced Arnold Scharz(however you spell the name) that it was a viable option for bodybuilders.

I am currently considering a lacto-ovo vegetarian lifestyle, and I see a lot of people offering help and information so I thought I would publically ask for that info..in PM form so that I don't hijack this thread. I am a student that is poor and doesn't have the time or money to make exotic foods, and when I was looking for recipes that seemed to be what I would find. So PM away if you will.

2006-12-01 7:55 AM
    in reply to: #612569

Extreme Veteran
    Cary, NC
    Subject: Student's Vegetarian Cookbook: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes

stone age rage - 2006-11-30 4:17 PM I have gone vegan for one month and felt incredibly good (but I didn't have the money and time to maintain that type of lifestyle)...  I am currently considering a lacto-ovo vegetarian lifestyle, and I see a lot of people offering help and information so I thought I would publically ask for that info..in PM form so that I don't hijack this thread. I am a student that is poor and doesn't have the time or money to make exotic foods, and when I was looking for recipes that seemed to be what I would find. So PM away if you will.

I thought I would respond back on the thread because this is a great book for anyone looking to "experiment" with veggie eating.

Try the book Student's Vegetarian Cookbook: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes for some GREAT ideas on how to cook veggie-style, quickly, easily, and inexpensively. If you read the Amazon reviews, you'll bet the drift--while it's aimed at students on a budget, it's a great staple book for ANYONE to have because it has great ideas on how to throw together something delicious and filling w/out many ingredients or much time.

Also, while it's not exclusively vegan, almost every recipe can be modified to be vegan (substitute soy for dairy milk) and most don't have cheese or eggs to begin with.

Good luck!

2006-12-01 1:44 PM
    in reply to: #613010

User image

Expert
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    Subject: RE: Student's Vegetarian Cookbook: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes
    DB8 - 2006-12-01 5:55 AM

stone age rage - 2006-11-30 4:17 PM I have gone vegan for one month and felt incredibly good (but I didn't have the money and time to maintain that type of lifestyle)...  I am currently considering a lacto-ovo vegetarian lifestyle, and I see a lot of people offering help and information so I thought I would publically ask for that info..in PM form so that I don't hijack this thread. I am a student that is poor and doesn't have the time or money to make exotic foods, and when I was looking for recipes that seemed to be what I would find. So PM away if you will.

I thought I would respond back on the thread because this is a great book for anyone looking to "experiment" with veggie eating.

Try the book Student's Vegetarian Cookbook: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes for some GREAT ideas on how to cook veggie-style, quickly, easily, and inexpensively. If you read the Amazon reviews, you'll bet the drift--while it's aimed at students on a budget, it's a great staple book for ANYONE to have because it has great ideas on how to throw together something delicious and filling w/out many ingredients or much time.

Also, while it's not exclusively vegan, almost every recipe can be modified to be vegan (substitute soy for dairy milk) and most don't have cheese or eggs to begin with.

Good luck!

Thanks. Just purchased this off Amazon. They only had it used but it said good condition.

Cheers,
    Mark
    2006-12-01 1:44 PM
    in reply to: #613010

User image

Expert
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    Subject: RE: Student's Vegetarian Cookbook: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes
    DB8 - 2006-12-01 5:55 AM

Good luck!

Thanks. Just purchased this off Amazon. They only had it used but it said good condition.

Cheers,
    Mark
    2006-12-01 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
    Salt Lake City, UT
    deja vu...

I'll get that and check it out. That looks like exactly what I need.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Vegetarian Experiment Rss Feed  

of 7