General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Fat and out of shape former Athlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-22 9:48 AM

Subject: Fat and out of shape former Athlete
Hey all! Im from Indiana an I'm a former football player. Back in the high school days, I could bench press 315 lbs and run a 5 and a half minute mile.

Now to the present, I am extremely overweight--- 250 lbs to be exact. I am way out of shape, but I am very intrigued by this sport. Althought I am intimidated, I feel the need to at least give it a shot. Lance Armstrong is my biggest hero... I have read a ton of books on him.

I have no idea how to get started... All I know is that somehow, I want to.

My main goal is to drop down to 175 lbs a and be a competitive tri-athlete. If anyone can give me any help, advice, or encouragement, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

2006-11-22 9:54 AM
in reply to: #606233

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Fat and out of shape former Athlete
Step 1 Go for a short run

Step 2 Go for a short swim

Step 3 Go for a bike ride

Step 4 Become hopelessly addicted, pawn off everything you own to buy every tri related product available.
2006-11-22 9:55 AM

User image

Elite

Welcome to BT Tony.

How do you get started?  You just did buy joining the BT community.  Welcome.

Don't be intimidated by triathlon.  Like any sport it has its arrogant types, but the vast majority of triathletes are very open, friendly, and only competitive with themselves.

Good luck and start posting your questions and using your trainig logs.

2006-11-22 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Well first of all welcome. You have picked a great sport and know first off that you belong! Before I got involved I went to watch a race and I was extremely intimidated! Wow did people look to be in incredible shape! After I got over that I looked some more and started thinking there were people there too that kind of looked like me and if they can do it then I can do it! You can too! This sport has incredibly supportive people in it and it is full of people at all idfferent levels. This website is a great resource so first step is to use this site to build a plan. Pick a race and go ahead and register for it - today! Once you register there is no going back and then you really have something to work for. Don't think that you will be running your 5 1/2 min miles right away but start slow and try to be as consistant as you can. You will be amazed at what you can do over time but above all else - have fun. You should look forward to your workouts - if you don't then you are probably working too hard. Good luck!
2006-11-22 10:00 AM
in reply to: #606255

Here is a question for everyone... At 250 lbs, when should I plan on entering my first triathlon assuming that I train hard? What is a good appropriate weight at 5'10 to be somewhat competitive?
2006-11-22 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
First of all welcome.

You should not let you weight determine when you do a tri. You just need to learn to pace your self, if you can not pace yourself it dose not matter if you are 150 or 250 lbs.

But the more you train the faster you get and hopefully you will lose some lbs doing it

2006-11-22 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
First off Welcome

As others have suggested, I would pick up a Training plan and start training. I would not let body weight factor into decisions to train or race.

I hope that you find the sort of Triathlons as fulfulling as I have...
2006-11-26 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Stoughton, WI
How much out of shape are you? Do you view yourself as a 180 person covered in 70 pounds of fat? Or a muscley 220 covered in 30 pounds of fat? Losing weight is important, but if a 315 bench is in your past, there's probably still a body prone to carrying muscle in there somewhere that may want to stay at a heavier (but more fit) weight.

There are some real horses on this forum that can get up and boogy. People that are on the big side of 200# and are fairly happy staying there. And that can whip out surprisingly fast miles both running and biking. Many triathlons have a Clydesdale category especially for people built like you. Clydes generally start at 185#.

This is the right place to be for what you want to do! There are lots of people here who have been and may still be in your shoes. And we're all out training and competing.

Start small and stay consistent. Use the training log feature. Add small increments to your training loads and over time good things start to happen! 4 or 5 months of consistent training time should be plenty prior to your 1st event. Sign up for something in April, if that work weather wise for you. I think having a goal to point at keeps you motivated in your training.

Make your start and enjoy this new life style!!!!
JB
2006-11-27 10:05 AM

This may encourage you. I was 227 lbs and was told by my 4 year old niece that I was Chubby. That effected me so much that I ordered exercise DVD from an infomercial and followed it religiously for 4 weeks. I lost about 25 lbs and felt great. I then decided that I was bored with the DVD program and looked into a "mini-sprint" 1/4 mi. swim, 14 mi bike & 2.6 mile run. I started by looking at this site and gaining what info I could about what to expect. I bought a new MT. bike and began by riding it to my local YMCA (7.5 Miles away), and swimming for 10-15 min at a time, then riding home. I acually enjoyed it. The run was a bit different as I don't enjoy that too much. I just found that having a goal was the most important part of this process. I didn't want to let myself down by not completing what I had set out to do. I researched the previous years times and set a realistic goal for my finish time. One thing I didn't expect was the amount of energy that I had come race day. I completely shattered my 2 hour goal and finished in 1:23 min. My point is that I know that your goal is possible. Now that you have decided to do this, you need to remind yourself every time you don't feel like training. Your first goal should be the triatlon, and not weight loss. If you are serious that will happen anyway. Oh yeah, I'm now 185 lbs and training for my second tri. Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Fat and out of shape former Athlete Rss Feed