General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Arthritis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-22 3:35 PM

New user

Subject: Training with Arthritis
I have arthritis in my hip, and until now, I have been able to do three sprint distances, although I struggle with the run. As a result, I only run about once a month for about 3 miles, and the rest of the time I use the eliptic machine in the gym for 35 - 45 minutes, twice a week. I would like to consider an International distance, but am concerned about the run. Are there other triathletes who have compensated for lack of running?
Thanks.

2006-11-22 6:32 PM
in reply to: #606738

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2006-11-23 2:32 PM
in reply to: #606856

New user

Subject: RE: Training with Arthritis
Thanks. Great picture!

2006-11-30 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN

I suffer with arthritis (to the point of having two parital knee replacements).  I took up racewalking instead of running because it was less pressure on my knees.  I'm not sure how that would effect you with a hip issue.

Motion is a good way to fight arthritis!  I am assuming you bike and swim.  You can load your training on those two and run just enough to get you through the race.

I desire to do a marathon before I die but I know I'll only have one chance because I'll be suffering all the way!

Keep in touch.  PM if you want.  Encouragement can be a big help also!

2006-11-30 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I have arthritis in my knees. What I do to help compensate for this is run barefoot in the grass during the spring, summer and fall. I have no problem running any distance. I do not experience the pain I once did when I run on hard surfaces.
2007-02-27 2:32 AM

i have both gout and arthritis, gout was always coming and going and the arthritis in all my old injuries,,,,i stopped running for yrs ,only biked,my doc said start taking ZYLOPRIM,one a day everyday its breaks down the acids before they gather,the other but cheaper is PRO GOUT.
well because i take them its taken the pain away from my arthritis as well and am back racing the mountain bike and doing some tri's..i am 58.
I live in thailand where its warmer that helps too.
good luck,we need it at our age.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Arthritis Rss Feed