General Discussion Triathlon Talk » food issue question? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-22 4:00 PM

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: food issue question?

been reading a few threads this week about people's food issues and how people 'use' food. the common consensus is that some people use food as a comfort, and cando raised a point that he now only sees food as a fuel, not something to enjoy.

now i know things are different for different people, and i know i could stand to lose a few pounds but i am nowhere near overweight and never had been, i am just wanting to tone up more.

BUT i LOVE food! so is anyone else a complete foodie and not willing to accept that food is only fuel and can be somethign to be enjoyed?

i'm not trying to pass judgement on others or how they regard food, but i'm just feeling like too/so many triathletes don't enjoy food for what it is and was wondering if there were other foodies out there?

2006-11-22 5:32 PM
in reply to: #606766

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: food issue question?
I do love food. I love Thai food, Indian food, Italian food, Mexican food. I think that Thai green curry chicken & jasmine rice with jasmine tea is practically a work of art. I'm just trying to get past eating to make myself feel better or as a reward for something I've done. Or as a distraction when I don't want to do or think about something else. There must be some kind of balance to enjoying food for it's tastiness (and stopping when full) and using food as a warm blankie for love and comfort and entertainment. Any tips on how to arrrive at that balance would be greatly appreciated.

Pam
2006-11-22 8:15 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

but is there anything wrong it using it to make us feel better? if its not often and eaten in awareness then is it necessarily such a bad thing?

i don't think it is, and often i cook a nice meal to reward myself, or celebrate, or sometimes if i've had a crap day i'll eat something comforting. tbh as long as its not always like that i can't see a problem. what do others think?

2006-11-22 9:11 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
I'm a foodie, too. It's a constant challenge, but I do better when I concentrate on what my body actually needs versus what my mouth wants. I work hard to make better choices, but I'll just never be one of the protein shake crowd. I like food. I exercise so I can eat it.
2006-11-24 5:09 PM
in reply to: #606905

sappho96 - 2006-11-22 9:15 PM

but is there anything wrong it using it to make us feel better? if its not often and eaten in awareness then is it necessarily such a bad thing?

For SOME people; thats like saying "Is there anything wrong with a couple drinks (if your an alcoholic) IF its just to make you feel better?"

You dig? Your comparing healthy eating with addictive eating...apples and oranges.

IMHO.
2006-11-24 8:28 PM
in reply to: #606905

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
sappho96 - 2006-11-22 8:15 PM

i don't think it is, and often i cook a nice meal to reward myself, or celebrate, or sometimes if i've had a crap day i'll eat something comforting. tbh as long as its not always like that i can't see a problem. what do others think?

Well, there is nothing wrong with it ... IF you aren't doing it in excess.

It is a problem though, when someone is 300+ pounds... and they have health problems and struggle with daily activities... because of their weight.... and they continue to eat and eat.

Most of the time, when people eat to comfort themselves... they end up like that. Terribly overweight and unhealthy. Thus, a majority of people see emotional eating as a negative behavior.

Personally, I enjoy food. I don't LOVE it... as I am picky eater... but there are some foods I enjoy eating and splurge on them. I also realize that if I want to remain a comfortable weight, I can't do it on a reglar basis and a majority of my eating should be regulated and monitored.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » food issue question? Rss Feed