Baldwinsville Kiwanis Club
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 48m 48s
Overall Rank = 150/335
Age Group = 26-30
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 7:30 a.m., had two cups of coffee and got ready at home. Stopped at Wegmans on the way and picked up two Clif Bars and an Odwalla for after the race. Ate a Pumpkin Spice Clif Bar about 45 minutes before the race start, which turned out to be a bit too close for comfort.
Event warmup:

I thought the 10K race started at 9:45, so I got to the high school at about 9:10 or so, which should have been plenty of time. I picked up my packet and ran back to the car, and then ran a little bit to find the start line. At 9:20, I decided I need to use the bathroom before the race, so I ran back up to the high school and did so (miraculously, no long lines). I ran into some friends after the bathroom that I hadn't seen since the Lake Placid Half in June. One mentioned that I looked quite a bit thinner - ROCK ON! They were also kind enough to let me know that the 10K actually started at 9:30. They told me this at 9:27. So, I booked it down to the start line and made it with about 3 minutes to spare (they were running late, thankfully). So, my warm-up was a run to the bathroom and a sprint to the start line.
Run
  • 48m 48s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I set my Nano to to generic 10K course before the start. Everything was cool to start off with...I wanted to maintain a 8:20-8:15/mile pace and see what happened in the last mile. I took out my Nano to see what my pace was, and it said 5 something. What?? Turns out, the default 10K setting automatically calculates splits in kilometers, not miles. Interesting. Fortunately, since my goal was 50 minutes and I was dealing with 10Ks, it was pretty easy to figure out what my goal pace was per kilometer. I kept it very evenly paced throughout the race according to my Nano. No mile/kilometer markers on course, so I was glad I had it. I felt fine thoughout the run, but started to worry a little around kilometers 6 - 8, which is normal. I was impressed that I managed to keep my pace so even thoughtout the race, though.
What would you do differently?:

More core work. I could really feel how a stronger core would have helped me in those miles where I was starting to worry about if I could make goal or not. Also...those damn 20 pounds. They've GOT to GO!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car? Something in my right hip popped about 50 feet before the finish line, so it's something I'll monitor for the next few days, but I don't think it's anything that will linger (at this point). It did hurt to run the last couple of feet, but it was fine walking. I think it's just overall tightness from the run. A few yoga sessions should get rid of it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of core work, 20 extra pounds. Overall, I beat my goal by over a minute, so I was delighted with the outcome. Really - it was perfect race conditions and the course was really great. I feel so much more confident going into winter training now that I've got this time as a backdrop for future workouts.

Event comments:

It was a great morning - I beat my goal and someone thought I looked thinner!! Does it get much better than that? Now...onto Thanksgiving festivities!

Last updated: 2006-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:48 | 06.2 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/335
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, a little rolling. Enough little hills to keep it interesting.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes