General Discussion Triathlon Talk » coping with injuries Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-23 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
Subject: coping with injuries
it's an inescapable fact if you train for long enough you'll get an injury of some type. sometimes it'll take years before something happens or it can happen in a few weeks of training ..... I know which category I fit into lol

so how do you cope with it?

since I've torn my calf I've lost all motivation to train because I can't run. I think it's because that's my "favorite" one of the bunch and if I can't do that then sod it .... kinda lol what do you do to keep motivated?

Tim/.

2006-11-23 3:04 PM
in reply to: #607201

User image

Master
Seattle, California
Subject: RE: coping with injuries
Tore my calf 6 weeks ago and I'm fully recovered now.  It is defiantly something you don't want to push.  I started looking at injuries a different way this year.  It happens and you need to look after and heal the injury with the same energy that you train.  Just think of it like a new challenge along the way.  What can you do and how can you create the optimal environment for it to heal.  I put a lot of effort into a quick recovery and thats what I ended up with. 
2006-11-23 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
Great thread.  I just found out yesterday that I have a stress fracture at the top of my femur.   I'm trying to look at it as an unscheduled break that I should take advantage of to get myself really rested (but I'm really going CRAZY not being able to train!).  I know that I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and focus on the future, but it's SO hard!
2006-11-23 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska

Timely thread.  I tore my soleus (calf - lower part) September 8th, and went for my first post-recovery run today.  I lost some of my optimism, fitness, and energy.  For what it is worth, here are my thoughts:   

Optimism - A couple of aborted attempts at recovery too soon bummed me out and made things worse, and I became pessimistic about recovery.  Still, I think once I realized and accepted the timeframe for recovery, I did a lot better.  A torn calf can take awhile and from what I understand it isn't one you push.  You wait until it feels perfectly normal day to day and then wait some longer.  I am at 6.5 weeks or so (feels like more like 8, but I lost track and just checked it now).  Now I am ready to restart and I feel positive since I am fairly confident I've taken enough time. 

Fitness - Find out what you can do.  I've lost a ton of my fitness - more than I should have.  I swam a few times, and then bought a trainer for my bike, and have started using that.  A new toy can help, and knowing I can cycle without pain was good for my morale (although I didn't use it that much since I was traveling for work - but its a new toy and we are entering winter).  A LITTLE activity every week will do a lot to help retain fitness for this period, I think.  Cycling easy helps (keeps pressure off the soleus).  I was also able to use a ski machine near the end of my recovery too.  Just a couple times a week was all and remember LOW intensity on ALL workouts where your calf is at all involved. 

Energy - I've gained 5-6 pounds, and felt sluggish.  Was resistant to an adventure race circuit my wife was showing me.  Still, as my time in pergutory got short I found myself drafting up a new plan of recovery (a few days ago) for the transition into half mary training I want to do this spring.  Picking your challenges after some time off will help re-engergize you as the time nears - keep the faith on that, you'll get it back if you do that near the end. 

Oh yeah, I got new shoes before restarting.  Mine were at around 350 miles, and I'm a heavy runner (okay, now even more so). 

And today I ran for the first time!  Only went 2 slow miles, on soft flat trail (abandoned train tracks with limestone and leaves).  Felt good and wanted to go farther.  Had to fight that urge, and I suspect it will get worse as I have a few good runs.  I am confident that fighting the urge to go farther, faster and longer will pay off in the long run.  I will NOT run tomorrow (Friday), only cycle easy on my trainer.  Will run Saturday, but only 2.5 miles for my "long" run of the week. 

Good luck.  I'm at the end of the dark tunnel and it feels great!  You will get there fine.  Just keep realistic so you can avoid pessimism, keep some fitness, and you will re-engergize as the time gets near, really. 

2006-11-23 8:20 PM

User image

Master
I have to jump on the focus on what you CAN do train. Aqua Jogging is a great running alternative... You wont set a new PR doing nothing but aqua jogging but it will help you maintain fitness. You could also swim or hit the weight room.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » coping with injuries Rss Feed