General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello - what a good idea Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-06 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: Hello - what a good idea
Hi all,

This is a great site and I hope to take advantage of all the stuff offered here as I target June '05 for my first triathlon.

A little background. I am in Montreal, Canada. Two years ago at 140KG (310LBS) I ws diagnosed with diabetes. Last summer I started biking again after about 15 years off of the bike (I used to take it very seriously) it was slow going but I ended up riding well through most of the summer but only occassionally on runs longer than 20K.

This summer has been different. I got off to a late start in the last week of June but have already logged 1000k on the bike with my average speed steady around 28K for runs of 30 - 50 K. The weight has been dropping steadily and I am now at 106KG (235LBS).

Since it is summer time I have been going to the pool with the kids alot - there is only so much splashing around you can do with the kids. The pool I go to has a lane reserved for people who want to do laps - so I thought I would give it a try. It was SOOOO hard! 25 meters killed me. I thought I was getting into shape on the bike - I had no idea! The pool is brutal. So naturally I had to start swimming more. I still don't do it very well I can only do 75 meters before I have to switch to breast stroke or side stroke to catch my breath. I still manage to put in a total of 250 meters on any given day but that is way short of my goal of 1500 meters.
A seed started to germinate - triathlon. Why did it start? I don't know. It could be because I watched the original Ironman on TV all those years ago and marvelled at the people doing it. Maybe because a Canadian won the last Olympic triathlon in Sydney. Maybe because I am just plain nuts to be thinking of starting this in my forties.
But the seed was planted.

Yesterday I bought a pair of New Balance 880 shoes from The Running Room and went for my first run in 27 years. Ouch - I only managed 1 K before having to stop. On the way back I had to slow to a walk 4 times before finishing. 2 K total - not gracefully done but done.

One way or another I am going to do this and I will be hanging around to pick up tips and share.

Denis.
www.bernicky.com

Edited by FatMan 2004-08-06 10:30 AM

2004-08-06 10:40 AM
in reply to: #44424

Veteran
Washington
Subject: RE: Hello - what a good idea
Welcome! congratulations on your weight loss already and sounds like you are on the road to more. Remember it is a long road. It takes time to get to where we want to be. listen to your body to prevent injury. hang in there and keep training! there are alot of people that have trouble with the swim and the attitude is just to get it done. doesn't have to be pretty. the run will come with time. keep biking. this site is great for motivation and training tips.

welcome again. good luck with your training.
2004-08-06 11:23 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome!  Don't worry about the swim - it will get better.  I was in the same boat, but eventually was able to put longer distances together.  Hang in there!

Good luck in your training.

2004-08-06 11:38 AM

User image

London, Ontario
Bonjour Denis,
Welcome from SW Ontario. I used to enjoy your city the first weekend of every June when I travelled there to participate in your 'Tour'. Great cycling city.
Like you, I find the swim the hardest to train for but plan on making up for being the last out of the water by being the first off the bike.
Good luck with your training,
Guy
2004-08-06 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

wow!  some great progress.  i have hear that many in your situation has had fantastic results with putting in some good bike training as a starting point...great conditioning for eventual tri training.

good luck.

2004-08-06 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Keep fighting Denis...I am an insulin dependent diabetic, and while it creates some unique challenges, it doesn't prevent success in this sport...now, swimming on the other hand, unfortunately the only way to get better, is to do it more often...it is my weakest discipline as well, so I just gave it extra commitment two years ago in the winter (great way to give legs a break), and it just came...good luck

d

2004-08-06 1:17 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Hello - what a good idea
Hey Denis, welcome from Ottawa. Don't worry about the swim or the running legs of the tri. Just take it easy and enjoy yourself for now. Eventually, when you feel you can, find a suitable training plan (look at: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/)and do your best; nobody can ask for more than that. I love Montreal--I was born there--and had planned on doing the Olympic at the Festival du Triathlon this year but I feel that I am not ready so I will defer that until next year. That will give you plenty of time to establish your base, train, and be ready to join me and the few other triathletes that might be there!
2004-08-06 4:12 PM
in reply to: #44532

User image

Expert
Montreal
Hi Machiavelo,
Like the name - perfect for Ottawa.
BeginnerTriathlete.com in an amazing site - so much information. It should make the going more informed if not necessarily easier.
For next year I want to do the Olympic length events at the Mont Tremblant Triathlon http://www.triathlonmonttremblant.com/eng/accueil.htmland the Esprit Triathlon http://www.esprittriathlon.com/en/guide.htmand eventually work my way up to an actual full day Ironman event in 2006.

Take care,
Denis.
2004-08-06 4:18 PM
in reply to: #44469

User image

Expert
Montreal
Hi Relic,
I have to ask - is the moniker from the old Beachcombers show?
Thank you for the welcome. You are right Montreal is a great city for cycling in comparison to most cities out there.
Water is definitly going to be the problem training spot - it was 13 degrees this morning when I got up! I'm not swimming outside in that weather. There are a few indoor pools open all winter the time will just have to be made to spend some time in the water over the winter.

Take care,
Denis.
2004-08-06 4:29 PM
in reply to: #44481

User image

Expert
Montreal
Hey Daryll,
Thank you for your reply.
Fortunately for me I only require metformin - in large part because of cycling (and a lot of badminton in the winter). I want to prevent the diabetes from progressing past the metformin stage for as long as I possibly can. My target weight is 77 Kg (169LBS) - that should help on all fronts - water, cycling and running - but especially cycling the hills.

Denis.
2004-08-06 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Welcome to the site. Your progress is great. Keep up the good work and good luck with your future training.

2004-08-06 10:48 PM

User image

Central Louisiana

Welcome to the T-spot!

2004-08-07 12:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey Fat Man,

Wow I read your post and you freaked me out!!!!!!

Just a little info.

Then.

Roy 43 325 lbs. Diabetes metifomin treatment all want to do is slow the diabetes down Triathlon, hey all of the best things to burn that sugar and lose weight.

After all it is hard to climb up stairs now.

Now.

Roy 45 225lbs. Diabetes under control.

I am about to do a 1/2 Iron man on sunday!!!

Welcome to the site, there are fantastic people here and a ton of information.

As others have said don't sweat the swim or the run just stick with a slow and steady approach and you WILL kick butt.

Roy

2004-08-07 1:20 AM
in reply to: #44975

User image

Expert
Montreal
Hey Roy,

Wow nice to hear someone else was in the same boat. Out in Edmonton - do you ever try the big hills just to the west of you :D.
Good luck on Sunday.

Denis
2004-08-09 3:29 PM

User image

London, Ontario
Denis
Relic was inspired by my daughter who at the worldly age of 13 started referring to me as an 'old relic' as if at the ripe old age of 44 (then) I should be put out to pasture. Remembering the other Relic made it seem like the ideal email name.

The swim is a challenge here too. No good outdoor locations within the city. I am fortunate enough to have my own indoor pool but it is very short (26feet) and I spend alot of time changing directions. Still better than having to go out everyday. There is a 'Y' close to where I work so I may do some work there. Am thinking about hiring a coach.

Take care,
guy
2004-08-10 11:14 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Welcome:

Great job on taking the plunge into training for a tri. I can sympathize with you, I was 284# and now I'm down to 230#. Training for a tri saved my life, I truely believe that. And if for that reason alone my wife and daughter put up with my running and trips to the gym and my getting ready to spend $1700 on a bicycle.

Most people complain about the swim, but they don't know how tough the run is for "big guys". But amazingly it will come around. When I started I could barely do a lazy 10 min jog. Now I'm up to doing 3 mile training runs at 11 min miles, four times a week. I'm not going to burn anyone on the run, but the time is OK.

The point is guys like us can do this crazy thing. You've done the toughest part by starting, keep at it, the rewards are life altering.

Listen to your body, don't be afraid to push yourself, and you can do this thing. As far as weight loss take a look at a site called "dietpower.com". It s computer software that helps track your diet progress, I used it and found it very helpful.

Good luck.
JLB
"The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello - what a good idea Rss Feed