General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plans Really Enough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-28 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Subject: Training Plans Really Enough?
I just joined the Y a few weeks ago and have been logging my time so far. My goal is to do a Sprint Tri in May, but an overall goal will be to take the training plans and use that as my general workout weightloss routine.

My question is ... is it enough? Im trying to eat right and am currently doing the Sprint 2x Balanced 16 week program. While Im sure I will begin to feel the burn once the minutes pick up in the coming week, is this enough to drop that extra 15lbs Im carrying around. Or do I need to add core / strength training as well. I dont want to bulk up ... just tone and burn off fat.

2006-11-28 5:17 PM
in reply to: #610478

Expert
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Training Plans Really Enough?

I think that you will get varying responses to this question.  My opinion is that if your main focus is to lose weight then you should also add in some muscle building exercises.  The extra msucle will help tone and burn more calories during the day.  The best advice I have seen for weight loss is a circuit program where you do  a medium number of reps with little time between exercises or sets. This will keep your heart rate elevated as you build strength.   Obviously if you wanted to pack the muscle on you would use lower reps and higher weights.

Again - if weight loss is your main goal..then I would definitely add some strength training in.

2006-11-28 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

I hope you're tracking your intake, becuase your cals burned are not all that high right now.  I wouldn't expect any weight loss in 2 weeks in any case, but it you are eating to sustain 185, then at 185 you will stay. 

As workouts get longer, you'll have to think about hydration and calories taken in while exercising.  Do you know what you need now, calorie-wise?  Try the Nutrition Tracker to find out, or another site like fitday.com

Should you lift as well?  Simple answer, Yes!  Strengthening your muscles will make your muscle tissue burn more calories and most training plans suggest a whole body workout done twice per week.  Could you fit that it?  Do you know where to start? There are lots of good articles and training plans here, so look around and find one that appeals to you.

Above all:  keep it doable and consistent.  Don't start to eat or train in a way that isn't sustainable or compatible with the rest of your life as you want to live it.  Short-term efforts don't help more than they frustrate. 

Patience, grasshopper.   

2006-11-28 10:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Good tips ... I think I will be patient and keep the cardio work going according to the training plan for the first month to ensure I can make it stick. Then I can look at getting into a strength training circuit.

As for the nutrition part ... aaack. I have started tracking my intake on FitDay, but it doesnt make much sense to me right now. Ill need a few weeks until I can really understand what I put into my body. I would solicit tips on what percentages I should be in for the major categories ... Fat / Carbs / Protiens?

Im 6' 184 lbs and want to get down to 170 ... doesn't have to be overnight. My main sport was swimming and I was a sprinter so getting used to the differences in preparing for a endurance event is all kinda new for me.
2006-12-03 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Portland, OR
I wouldn't worry about "bulking up" with weight training. My trainer said it would take a lot to get bulky muscles. Our bodies are designed to be lean and body builders have to work really really hard to get the bulk.

Once I added weight training to my program, I lost inches AND pounds. Good luck!

Sharon
2006-12-04 5:49 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
My first year of running I trained and completed 3 marathons and 1 ultra marathon as well as like 5 half marathons. You may say Wow that is alot of distance plus all that training you must have lost alot of weight. Answer is no. I gained 25 lbs when I was already about 100 lbs overweight. Reason is you need to watch what you need carefully. When you are going out and burning 1000 or 2000 cals a work out its easy to go hey I did as good job I can be a little bad. Well That will get you every time. Its just a warning to watch what you eat.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plans Really Enough? Rss Feed