General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The value of upper body strength training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2006-12-03 7:45 PM
in reply to: #614715

Master
portland, or
Subject: RE: The value of upper body strength training
>>"You're still not addressing the point that was made. More muscle means higher resting metabolic rate. That was the original statement, and that is true and simply not disputable. What is burned while lifting weights is irrelevant."

Again, it's negligible. To build enough muscle mass to make a significant difference in metabolic rate would require one to quit swimming, cycling, and running. You can't build significant muscle mass while participating in catabolic activities.

If the desire is to offset the catabolic effect, then lift away. But the impact on BMR that is bandied about by personal trainers is false, and is not supported by the scientific community.

There's a lot of good reasons to incorporate a resistance program into your routine. Some of them may actually benefit you as a triathlete if you need to correct issues that are preventing you from training. But there is no direct correlation between weight lifting and speed in triathlon.

scott

2006-12-03 7:47 PM
in reply to: #614727

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
DerekL - 2006-12-03 7:42 PM

I could have almost predicted the instant you'd pull out the personal anecdote line.

It's irrelevant, and you know it is.

Too me, there's nothing more relevant than personal results. Again, if it's so effective, then where is the speed? Where are the results that you see time and again from sport-specific training?

2006-12-03 7:47 PM
in reply to: #614729

User image

Champion

Again, a bunch of stuff that's irrelevant to the point that was being addressed.

More muscle = more calories burned.  You can argue against basic physiology and quote non-existent studies all day long. 

yaqui - 2006-12-03 7:45 PM Again, it's negligible. To build enough muscle mass to make a significant difference in metabolic rate would require one to quit swimming, cycling, and running. You can't build significant muscle mass while participating in catabolic activities. If the desire is to offset the catabolic effect, then lift away. But the impact on BMR that is bandied about by personal trainers is false, and is not supported by the scientific community. There's a lot of good reasons to incorporate a resistance program into your routine. Some of them may actually benefit you as a triathlete if you need to correct issues that are preventing you from training. But there is no direct correlation between weight lifting and speed in triathlon. scott

2006-12-03 7:48 PM
in reply to: #614731

User image

Champion

No, it's your chance to belittle people as is your habit here.

I'm done with this.

the bear - 2006-12-03 7:47 PM

Too me, there's nothing more relevant than personal results. Again, if it's so effective, then where is the speed? Where are the results that you see time and again from sport-specific training?

2006-12-03 7:50 PM
in reply to: #614733

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
DerekL - 2006-12-03 7:48 PM

No, it's your chance to belittle people as is your habit here.

I'm done with this.

Nope, not at all, just looking for evidence. How is that belittling people?

The "original point being discussed" is whether time is better spent in the weight room, or doing actual SBR. Show me why the weight room is the better alternative.

Edited by the bear 2006-12-03 7:53 PM
2006-12-03 7:59 PM
in reply to: #614316

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
This is what BT is turning into, a rehash of the SAME arguments by the SAME people over and over and over again. I think we have established that there are those of you who are in the weight/strength training category and those that are against it. Different training methods work for different athletes, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all. There are some athletes that I coach that go to the gym or do core work 3 times per week and there are those that only do core and only do it twice a week. While there is no clear cut answer to the question, I can't see how anyone can rationally say that strength training will not benefit an athlete. If you choose to devote more time to s/b/r then so be it, but you aren't harming yourself by lifting weights or doing core or resistance training.

2006-12-03 8:34 PM

User image

I found this article using google.
http://www.multisports.com/archives/true_secrets.shtml
It mentions Heather Fuhr and Peter Reid train with weights.

If it works for these Ironman champs, then it would seem beneficial to us too ... assuming we are training properly and not trading off time needed in the other disciplines.

I like lifting, but if you hate it so much, then skip it and do what you enjoy.
2006-12-03 9:22 PM
in reply to: #614652

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
DerekL - 2006-12-03 4:55 PM

Dismissing something out of hand doesn't make for a strong argument. You'll find many elite triathletes who swear by weight training.

tkbslc - 2006-12-03 5:36 PM For me, it comes down to what your goals are. Why did you get into Triathlon? If it was to become as physically fit as possible, then full body strength training is an essential part of that. If your goal is only to become as fast as possible and place as high as possible, then weights ARE a waste of time. Don't need weight lifting at all to become a faster cyclist, swimmer or runner.

It wasn't really an argument.  I was just saying think about what your goals are.    And by your logic there are at least some elite triathletes that do not swear by weight training so it must not be absolutely necessary.

2006-12-04 7:27 AM
in reply to: #614740

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Rocket Man - 2006-12-03 7:59 PM While there is no clear cut answer to the question, I can't see how anyone can rationally say that strength training will not benefit an athlete.

It is perfectly rational to say that strength training may not benefit a triathlete (which is what I have said all along).  There is zero evidence that it does and quite a bit of evidence that suggests it does not.  The only "harm" I see in lifting is that is detracts from time that I could be spending on those efforts which I am sure benefit me as a triathlete.

2006-12-04 8:01 AM
in reply to: #614869

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN

There was an interesting article regarding strength and cycling. Muscle mass increases strength by a certain factor to which I don't have at the top of my head, but that in a windy situation cycling, the benefit of extra muscle and mass outweighs the aerodynamics of being smaller. That was eitehr in "Inside Triathlon" or "Triathlete." I don't remember which.

I like to weight train because I have always been a bit more muscular to begin, and also, I am anticipating the mixing of Ultimate Fighting with triahlon in the near future. Forget the whole Run/Bike/Swim deal. The REAL test is how you do for 15 minutes in the cage at the end of it all. Who loses the least blood or teeth at the end wins!

2006-12-04 8:54 AM
in reply to: #614869

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
JohnnyKay - 2006-12-04 8:27 AM

Rocket Man - 2006-12-03 7:59 PM While there is no clear cut answer to the question, I can't see how anyone can rationally say that strength training will not benefit an athlete.

It is perfectly rational to say that strength training may not benefit a triathlete (which is what I have said all along).  There is zero evidence that it does and quite a bit of evidence that suggests it does not.  The only "harm" I see in lifting is that is detracts from time that I could be spending on those efforts which I am sure benefit me as a triathlete.

Yes and we all know that you are the end all and be all when it comes to tri training. Maybe you should go back over to ST.

2006-12-04 9:01 AM

Veteran
"And as for the psychological advantage, this is a purely individual thing that can't really be confirmed by a study. It's all about the power of suggestion. If I tell an athlete that strength training will improve his or her performance, chances are good that performace will improve due to psychological well-being even if the strength training had zero impact on actual physical performance. If this weren't true, there would be no trash talking in pro sports."

I'm just a beginner, but i am enjoying learning about the science behind the sport, and physiology in general. Usually lots of good information, even in these rehashed debates. But the comment above struck me as way off base.

1) Psychological aspects of performance versus training can absolutely be confirmed by a study. Saying that isn't true, and following it with nebulous claims about what amounts to a placebo effect is somewhat irresponsible.

2) I see no connection between trash talking and strenth training at all, much less how it would relate to the quasi placebo effect.

Just my $.02 - carry on and thanks for shaing the knowledge.
2006-12-04 9:06 AM
in reply to: #614930

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Rocket Man - 2006-12-04 8:54 AM Yes and we all know that you are the end all and be all when it comes to tri training.

I never said I was.  I clearly have my views, but I wouldn't post about this if I hadn't done some work on it to at least feel I have some legs to stand on.  You essentially called me irrational for these views, yet as far as I know have never offered any evidence that I am wrong.

Maybe you should go back over to ST.

This is completely uncalled for.  Last I checked, you're not the arbiter of what is OK to discuss on BT and I have never tried to belittle anyone's opinions on this (or any other) subject.  I do frequent ST as well because there are many knowledgeable posters there.

2006-12-04 10:15 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

First of all that response now that I read it was a bit mean spirited and for that I apologize.

What I am and have been saying all along is that, if YOU personally don't want to spend the time in the gym then that is YOUR choice. Saying that strength training doesn't help as a blanket statement is just plain wrong. If strength training didn't hep at all then why would the NGB for Triathlon and Cycling (and I am assuming USA Swimming has it in their coaches manuel also) include modules on Strength Training and have a speaker at every coaching clinic I have ever attended? Why would a large percentages of the elite athletes spend time in the gym if they were getting no benefit from it?

If you re-read my original post, I was saying that whether you believe in strength training or not, you can't say that you aren't getting ANY benefit from doing it. How can you or anyone else say that Leg Presses (quads), Hamstring Curls (hamstrings), Calf Raises (calves), Squats (Quads), and various core exercises are not going to give you any benefit at all?

Again I am done talking about this, we beat this dead horse to a pulp a week or so ago and I don't have the time to waste on it again.

2006-12-04 10:22 AM

Master
Colorado

Oh dear G-d.  I can't believe I opened this up. 

Anyone see "What it Takes"?  Interesting that Peter Reid, Lori Bowden, Heather Fuhr, and Luke Bell all wasted valuable time strength training because it doesn't make them better triathletes.

I'll post these again, and then I'm out of this rediculous argument. 

Attachments
----------------
Cycling, Resistance Training.pdf (64KB - 18 downloads)
Endurance, Resistance Training.pdf (99KB - 18 downloads)
2006-12-04 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
One thing is for sure. I simply MUST do a better job about searching archives before asking questions!

Sorry I opend Pandora's Box.

2006-12-04 11:06 AM
in reply to: #615037

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Rocket Man - 2006-12-04 10:15 AM

First of all that response now that I read it was a bit mean spirited and for that I apologize.

What I am and have been saying all along is that, if YOU personally don't want to spend the time in the gym then that is YOUR choice. Saying that strength training doesn't help as a blanket statement is just plain wrong. If strength training didn't hep at all then why would the NGB for Triathlon and Cycling (and I am assuming USA Swimming has it in their coaches manuel also) include modules on Strength Training and have a speaker at every coaching clinic I have ever attended? Why would a large percentages of the elite athletes spend time in the gym if they were getting no benefit from it?

If you re-read my original post, I was saying that whether you believe in strength training or not, you can't say that you aren't getting ANY benefit from doing it. How can you or anyone else say that Leg Presses (quads), Hamstring Curls (hamstrings), Calf Raises (calves), Squats (Quads), and various core exercises are not going to give you any benefit at all?

Again I am done talking about this, we beat this dead horse to a pulp a week or so ago and I don't have the time to waste on it again.

Apology acceped.  Thank you.

Yes, we've beaten this horse before but you attempt to take views like mine to an extreme in order to devalue them (I suggest there aren't any proven benefits for those who want to improve their triathlon performance.  If you want to build muscle for some other reason or choose to believe that the research just hasn't found the right answer yet, I have no axe to grind.)    I continue to defend my position as perfectly reasonable given the current body of information.  Forgive the flogging.

Simply because the coaching bodies choose to include information about weight training does not mean that it provides direct benefits to triathletes.  Nor does the fact that some elites use weight training.  I'm sorry if you think it does.  On that we'll simply have to disagree.  (I could similarly argue that some coaches do not support use of the weightroom.  And some elites do not use it either.  This does not help support my argument, however.  Likewise, the inverse does not support yours.)

The benefits of weight training (e.g., increased strength) have not been shown to help improve performance in triathlons (e.g., because that strength does not appear to carry over to the specific actions involved in swimming, cycling & running).  Nor has the possible prophylactic use to avoid the injuries most likely to occur to triathletes (overuse).

So my cost/benefit analysis (for me personally with any non-tri factors included as well), says skip it.  The OP in this thread actually appears to be coming from the same position which is why I offered any advice in the first place (actually hoped it would be my last post in this thread).  Others, like you, will clearly come to different conclusions.

I don't mind repeating this at times if it helps to clarify my position (others who don't participate in our monthly to-and-fro read this stuff too).  And I've always tried to etablish my personal views seperate from the facts as they are currently understood in the existing research.

2006-12-04 12:37 PM
in reply to: #615050

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Stake - 2006-12-04 10:22 AM

Oh dear G-d.  I can't believe I opened this up. 

Anyone see "What it Takes"?  Interesting that Peter Reid, Lori Bowden, Heather Fuhr, and Luke Bell all wasted valuable time strength training because it doesn't make them better triathletes.

I'll post these again, and then I'm out of this rediculous argument. 

I know you posted these before, but I don't think I commented on them.  So at risk of continuing this thread longer , I'll just make a couple notes from the second (I don't think the first adds anything).  All emphasis mine:

The addition of resistance training to the training program of a well-trained endurance athlete is controversial, but may be warranted if time permits, because anaerobic ability can seperate the performance of elite endurance athletes.

So this writer believes that there may be enough positive info to suggest elites with avaiable time might derive some performance benefits from resistance training.  So Reid, Bowden Fuhr & Bell may well decide that it's worth it in hopes it might help them win in a sprint to the finish.  But this describes few of us on BT--certainly not me.

In conclusion, what should be apparent from this review is the key to designing any weight program for endurance athletes is to follow the principal of specificity.

I'd note the only positive impact seems to be found through "explosive" resistance training in running.  So, plyometric training may be effective in improving running economy (no similar correlation for cycling or swimming).  However, this is a fairly advanced type of training and not generally suggested as a good idea for a typical BT athlete.

The studies do generally seem to agree that there is no negative to including strength training (except to the extent that it detracts from time doing the specific sport in question). 

These articles don't have me running to the squat rack. 

2006-12-04 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

(602__image_09.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
602__image_09.jpg (22KB - 12 downloads)
2006-12-04 12:53 PM
in reply to: #615280

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Thanks for your contribution. 
2006-12-04 1:00 PM
in reply to: #615284

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

JohnnyKay - 2006-12-04 1:53 PM Thanks for your contribution. 

Um, you're welcome.  And in one google of 'weightlifting benefit triathlon', I found runnersworld plans, mark allen training plans, d3 plans, and a bunch of testamonials for weights as part of training plans for variety, power, injury prevention, balancing muscle pairs.

And add Tim DeBoom and me and my buddy Darrin and Stake and a few others to the list of folks that think that weightlifing, correctly applied within the training regimen for what you need, are of benefit.  And that's benefit that's not available to you if you hold everything else constant. 

2006-12-04 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well for me. I started weight lifting for the following reasons. 1) my traininger partner swears by it and nags me to do it. (that is why I sometimes call her my saturday wife) 2) I do it after my swim class where I can either sit around for about an hour or lift. 3) I want to lose weight and maybe it will help. 4) After I lose weight if it helps me look better for the ladies then all the better.

My upperbody gets tired faster than my lower body does during marathons and ultramarathons and since I have no upper body strength I hope lifting will cure some of that.

I am a believer in core strengthing for triathlons. I am also a believer that flexibility is more important that strength training for injury prevention.

2006-12-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: #615293

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
rkreuser - 2006-12-04 1:00 PM

JohnnyKay - 2006-12-04 1:53 PM Thanks for your contribution. 

Um, you're welcome.  And in one google of 'weightlifting benefit triathlon', I found runnersworld plans, mark allen training plans, d3 plans, and a bunch of testamonials for weights as part of training plans for variety, power, injury prevention, balancing muscle pairs.

And add Tim DeBoom and me and my buddy Darrin and Stake and a few others to the list of folks that think that weightlifing, correctly applied within the training regimen for what you need, are of benefit.  And that's benefit that's not available to you if you hold everything else constant. 

Last time I'll repeat this one:  Just because lots of people say it's so, doesn't make it so.  There is little scientific evidence to back it up.  People think that it should help, but researchers have had a tough time proving it to be the case.  Ask MikeTheBear (and he obviously supports strength training) or read the second article Stake provided (a decent summary of what's out there).

If I were to add weightlifting on top of tri training, there may be some added benefit.  But if I have the time to do this, I can swim, bike and/or run more.  There is certainly added benefit from that and it is greater than weightlifting can provide (certainly at my far-from-elite level).  That's the choice I make.  I hope you realize my choice is not ill-informed even if future research eventually proves me wrong.

Those who choose to hit the weights should realize there is no overwhelming evidence that it will help their performance in triathlons (quite underwhelming at this point in time).  So they should either hope the researchers have just not found the connection yet or be content that they have other valid reasons for doing so.

2006-12-04 1:21 PM
in reply to: #615306

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

chirunner134 - 2006-12-04 1:14 PM I am also a believer that flexibility is more important that strength training for injury prevention.

Not really related, but I do find it funny that one potential benefit researchers have identified is explosive resistance training in running helps improve running economy.  Why?  They think it may be in part because it increases muscle stiffness (which may enhance its abilty to store and recover elastic energy as you run).  Lower flexibility seems to correlate to better running performance.  Go figure!

2006-12-04 1:41 PM
in reply to: #615315

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Right now I'm thinking the biggest benefit that upper body weight training gives me is the strength to strangle the next person who ever, EVER brings up this topic again.

Geesh. I almost want to strangle myself for reading this whole thing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The value of upper body strength training Rss Feed  

of 4