General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for 1/2 mary at same time as oly distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-03 11:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Land o' the Red Man
Subject: Training for 1/2 mary at same time as oly distance
I did try to search...

I want to run a 1/2 mary at the end of April. Right now I'm still taking baby steps as far as running goes, but that is my spring goal, if I don't get a wild hair and try the whole thing. I've been doing my version of the couch to 5k until about T-18 weeks or so, when I can begin training in earnest. But there are several tri's during the summer I want to run also.

My question is that I would like to begin an extended beginner oly plan, since most begin at swim times longer than what I can swim at once, but I don't know how to reconcile the two different programs. Would doing a run focused plan and just extending only the run times work? I've wanted to do this event (the run) for years now, but the "deadline" for building base always sneaks past me between other stuff.

Or maybe mix a HIM run with oly bike and swim?

I'm a med student and have a 2 month old, so it goes without saying I don't have bundles of time to train; I'm just unsure about how to efficiently accomplish what I want to do. And if I can shed 30 pounds or so doing it, that'd be even better!!

2006-12-04 7:58 AM
in reply to: #614827

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Training for 1/2 mary at same time as oly distance
question is what is your main focus? The 1/2 mary or the oly? If its the 1/2 mary then I would take teh 1/2 mary work out and substitute runs for swims and bike ride. Make sure you always do your weekly long run, but midweek can change. Sunday should be a good cross training day anyways so its a good day to swim or bike.
2006-12-04 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
I did that over the summer... and I did 3 runs/2 bike/1 swim. Thats just the order of importance mine fell into. I kept my 2 weekday runs as the oly program said, but extended my long run to a 1/2 mary mileage program run. I dont know if that helps, but it seemed to work for me, but again, just choose which is most important for you to train for
2006-12-04 9:37 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I would be over stepping my knowledge to offer advice on what YOU should do.  Just wanted to let you know last summer was my first season and I did an OLY and a half mary 3 weeks later and both went pretty well*, so it can be done.   My most successful training strategy was LOTS of LSD. 

*swim collision excluded. 

2006-12-04 9:45 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Sounds like the run is your main goal.  If so, I'd say train for the half-marry.  Try to swim enough so that you don't drown in the oly.  And bike enough so that you can take advantage of all the running fitness you'll have built up.  More running will also provide the fastest way to shed those extra pounds.
2006-12-04 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm using the off-season to train for a half-mary in preparation for doing my first oly race.

Running has always been my downfall in tri's.  I can do the oly distances easily swimming and on the bike, and at a reasonable pace, but I just struggle with the run even in sprint tri's.

I also know that I major part of my challenge is to lose the extra twenty pounds I'm lugging around.  I figure that focusing on my running for the next few months (along with my diet) should help with that issue also.

I'm using the Galloway 17 week novice half-mary program to prepare for the Sarasota half in early March.  Assuming all goes well and I stay healthy, then I'm planning to do my first oly tri  in early May.  

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for 1/2 mary at same time as oly distance Rss Feed