General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Going for my second lake swim this morning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-09 12:38 PM

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Going for my second lake swim this morning
and it is really cold this morning-- 10 Degrees Celsius. I am trying out another wetsuit this time. Someone I know offered to loan me their Ironman wetsuit (She is doing Ironman Canada in a couple of weeks :-O )

I am going to go to swim in the lake where the the triathlon is taking place. I am going to swim the whole thing (I am doing sprint), and hoping that if I can do it today in these conditions, I can do it next Sunday(and hopefully in nice weather).

Wish me luck!!
;-)

2004-08-09 12:46 PM
in reply to: #45466

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Subject: RE: Going for my second lake swim this morning
good luck!

make sure you have a buddy with you or something or there's a lifeguard.

It's a great call doing a test run of the courrse!

You're gonna initially freak out by the cold, which you know as you'ave already done one, take time and let yourself work through it

GOOD LUCK!

2004-08-09 4:57 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
good luck...will be great practice!
2004-08-09 5:30 PM

Calgary, Alberta
Thanks guys!! I just got back. The wetsuit fit really nice and I didn't feel restricted in it. My sister came with me and paddled in a row boat near me.

I learned a few things while I was out there:
I need to do a better warm up because about half way through my swim, my upper back and neck got so tight that I got a bit dizzy and a slight headache.

I kept my eyes closed when I put my face in the water because it kind of freaked me out to not see the bottom lol.

I found it easier to do the front crawl with the wetsuit on because I was more bouyant (sp?)

I think I swam more than the distance of the tri, plus I swam about 5 minutes more than I have been doing in the pool, so I feel a bit more at ease now.

Last, the exit is supposed to be on a boat ramp. It was really slippery and I wiped out on it as I came out, and slid back into the lake--that really hurt. For the tri, I am not going to use the ramp, and I will come out on the gravel beside the ramp.

I am really glad I did this. I am going to do another lake swim on Wednesday, and then I will be done with my workouts until the race
2004-08-09 7:03 PM

Chelan, WA
Glad it went well!! Good luck with your event!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Going for my second lake swim this morning Rss Feed