General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits -- Tri type vs. Scuba Diving Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-11 10:57 AM

Subject: Wetsuits -- Tri type vs. Scuba Diving
I have started doing tris (including one ocean tri with a rented wetsuit) here in Maine
and find myself planning a scuba diving trip this winter in the Carribean. Can I get a tri
wetsuit and also happens to be useful for the ocassional winter scuba trip?
In other words, if I get the tri wetsuit that I want for tris, can I also
wear it on the ocassional scuba diving in warmer waters (i.e., warmer than Maine or California)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Furtherfaster

2006-12-11 11:09 AM
in reply to: #620927

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Wetsuits -- Tri type vs. Scuba Diving
I've seen the opposite. I know someone that had a scuba diving suit and did a sprint tri with it. He made it but then afterwards, bought a tri specific suit probably because it was just too bulky.

I have no idea of your situation, but there's a guy named Chris (handle is ChrisM) who scuba dives. He may have more insight. If he doesn't see this thread, just PM him.

2006-12-11 12:41 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I used to dive and there is a huge difference between the suits.  A triathlon wetsuit adds flexibility in all the key areas.  Additionally the thickness of the suit sometimes varies in the chest, arms, legs to keep you buoyant.  A scuba suit on the other hand typically is big, bulky and provides merely warmth and protection. 

Could you dive in a tri suit?  Sure...there is no reason you couldn't.  But you could also do the run portion of a race in your cycling shoes.  But why would you? 

2006-12-11 1:23 PM

User image

Elite
I use my tri suit for diving in the Carribean for a few reasons. #1 I have a cheaper tri specific wet-suit that I purchased for $100.00. If it gets ruined from diving, I'm not all that devastated. #2 Because I dive in the carribean I do not need a heavier suit and the 2mm tri suit is perfect for my diving needs. That said, I would not do it the other way around and use a regular scuba suit for tri's. My wife did that, and besides looking kinda dorky a scuba suit is not designed to swim in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits -- Tri type vs. Scuba Diving Rss Feed