General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bad swimmer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-12 8:15 PM

Subject: bad swimmer
Hello, new friends

I'll keep short. I'm a terrible swimmer, but I'm a decent runner and biker.
I've never done a triathlon, but I've ran a marathon full and a couple of halfs.
Now, my question is since im such a bad swimmer could I train up on the running and biking program and down on the swimming. Is this a good idea, or bad. I know I have to get better at swimming obviously, but I'm furthur ahead in running and biking. Someone let me know pleasssse.

Thanks
Cliff Howell Sebring fla.

2006-12-12 8:20 PM
in reply to: #622592

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: bad swimmer
no you do not want to down your training on your swimming. this would make you a worse swimmer when the idea of training is to become better. instead down your biking and running and focus more on your swimming.

if you are great at running and good at biking but lack in the swimming. there is no point to make what you are already good at better if it will affect what you are worst at.

so run and bike less and swim more. if you hate swimming you will soon learn to love it. same story with me but i started swimming more than i biked and ran just time wise and i got better. now i love swimming.
2006-12-12 8:27 PM

Hey Ern,

Thanks, I appriciate the infomation. Its just on some of the begining programs the running seems so little, and the biking as well. So, your advise is cool. i'll try and just start off with the sprint program, but do you think in a years time I could do a half Ironman???

Thanks
Cliff
2006-12-12 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
it really depends on the time you have to train. if you have plenty of time to train then yes you probably could do a HIM. i am just 15 and i have only done three sprints so i dont have any advice on going long distances.

im planning on doing two olys this year and then a HIM next year and an ironman when i turn 18.

so it all comes down to the amount of training time you have. so like me i could not do it because i have school all day. then homework. but it is very possible. one of the triathletes in the Ford Ironman got trained for the race in 9 months. so yes it is very possible for you to do it in a year.

good luck.
2006-12-12 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston

You'll definitely want to spend more time in the pool! How terrible are you? I started only recently and would still classify myself as a poor swimmer.  My first go at swimming had me winded at 40 to 80 yd. I've made great progress (up to 400 & 500 yd without resting), but if I had 1000 yd or more at the start of a race, I'd be in trouble.

I think you'll find that without improving your swimming, you'll be completely worn out by the time you get to the bike and running portions. Especially if your looking at olympic, half-iron, or iron man distances.

I'd also recommend at least getting a swim coach to evaluate your stroke. Early on, you'll find yourself able to improve with a bit of help and spending alot may not be worth it yet.

2006-12-12 9:05 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

You might need to adjust the training plans to fit your needs.  If the bike and the run are too easy for you, find a training plan that has the right level for those two portions, and then work on your swimming separately.

If the training plan you find has you running and cycling at a level that is comfortable-to-challenging, then that's a good place to start.  If the swim workouts are impossible based on your level, then do a different swim workout.

But don't skip the swim training.  Even just getting in the pool on a regular basis and just plain swimming is a great way to get better at swimming. 

2006-12-12 9:15 PM
in reply to: #622627

Hey thanks Originalkid. The idea of a swin coach is actually a good idean never thought of that.
I'll come up with something. I dont know how bad I am at swimming. I think im bad, but I know I really dont care for swimming. I kinda like my feet on dry land. lol

hey thanks
cliff
2006-12-12 9:16 PM
in reply to: #622636

thanks for the ideas. I think ill be alright. Ill find a comfortable run/bike and get better on swim
cliff
2006-12-13 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
With a name like "dolphins" surely you will soon learn to love the swim.
2006-12-13 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/e/x/exk7/PreviousSwimWorkouts.html

At the bottom is the zero to 1650 plan, which I'm doing again(lost my swim base due to lack of a pool)

You may also want to look into the total immersion book or dvd.

2006-12-13 1:34 PM

User image

Master
New York
If swimming is your weak spot, I would 10000% recommend AGAINST downing your swim training. The benefits from extra bike & run sessions would be outweighed by the trouble you would experience in the swim. If you can't complete the swim portion of a tri, the other two are sorta moot points.

Best of luck, though, and I too will bump the 0-1650 training plan. Looks very very similar to what I used in the past to up my swim base.

2006-12-13 2:07 PM
in reply to: #622641

User image

Veteran
Houston

dolphins - 2006-12-12 9:15 PM Hey thanks Originalkid. The idea of a swin coach is actually a good idean never thought of that. I'll come up with something. I dont know how bad I am at swimming. I think im bad, but I know I really dont care for swimming. I kinda like my feet on dry land. lol hey thanks cliff

My daughter's swimming instructor is also a swimming coach and she performed and evaluation and gave me some good starting tips and form analysis free-- the best kind! Once I plateau, I'm willing to get additional help. Though I'd put that idea out for you too.

2006-12-13 7:28 PM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

When I started I found that I could not really do the swim portion of my plan well, so I added another day of swimming in the week, and used the beginner swim plan here on BT.  It involved drills as well as endurance.  I found that focusing on the drills made things go a great deal better, and I slowly built up endurance/distance.  I am still not FAST but swimming is way better now. 

UP your swimming.  

Want to improve enough to do a HIM in a year?  Get a coach.  The coach will help out a ton more than just trying to figure it out on your own. (I know... physician heal thyself!)

Peace,

Brian 

2006-12-13 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
Cliff,

If you are as weak as you say in swimming you probably need lots of improvement in your stroke technique. Dropping the inefficient form that is most likely slowing you down and wearing you out should be your first goal. The Total Immersion DVD called Freestyle Made Easy and the Total Immersion book will give you the swimming ability you need to be able to do the swim workouts necessary to bring your swimming up to your running and biking levels. The drills the DVD teaches you worked great for me, although some find it difficult to tell if they are doing them right. If you have trouble teaching yourself to develop better swim form, then by all means get a coach. The principals of Total Immersion are used by a lot of tri-swim coaches, so get the DVD and book anyway.

Once you are swimming properly, you will easily be able to increase your swim workout distance and intensity. You will surely be ready for a HIM in much less than a year.

Good luck,
Doug
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bad swimmer Rss Feed