General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spacing tris around marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-13 7:55 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: spacing tris around marathon
am planning for my first marathon next year and need some feedback on spacing tris around the marathon.

marathon option A is in june (grandma's marathon), and two of my favorite tris are either 2 weeks before (buffalo, sprint or oly) and 2 weeks after (minneman, sprint).

marathon option B is in july (voyageur trail marathon), with a possible sprint (or two, minneman, and freedom tri on july 4th) 2 weeks prior, and 3 weeks after (brewhouse, sprint).

i won't know if i have a spot in grandma's until late january/early february...and many of these tris have early bird pricing, which is why i'm having to think this through now. since i've never done a marathon, i'm interested in getting feedback from those who have balanced these things in the past. thanks.

2006-12-13 8:20 AM
in reply to: #622790

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: spacing tris around marathon

Depends on what your goal are.

Two, even three weeks before or after a marathon is too close to do a triathlon if you want to do them both WELL. Two weeks before the mary you should be well into your taper, so a triathlon that weekend would have to be at no more than a training pace; two weeks after you would just be coming out of marathon recovery and would not be at peak performance levels for the triathlon.

Personally, I would have no problem scheduling either or even both triathlons around the mary, but would not expect to race either triathlon. If it were my first marathon, however, I would forego the triathlons and focus on finishing the mary.

I would also choose world-famous Grandma's over some funky trail marathon in July. Cool

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spacing tris around marathon Rss Feed