General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitness Incentives From Work Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-13 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Fitness Incentives From Work
Just curious what/if any fitness programs are out there. Our Agency is looking at ways to improve employee fitness--ie., cut down on lost work time due to on the job injuries and chronic illnesses. We've done a little with the Fit City program but it seemed to fizzle out. I guess I need to give you a little more info on us as it does affect how something like this would work. We employ nearly 350 people and provide paramedic level ambulance service to a metro area of nearly 750,000 with more than 85,000 calls per year. Our staff is primarily 20s/30s. We have no current mandatory fitness requirements so our staff varies greatly in size. Quite a few of our bigger employees have had gastric bypass and several of them have really been bitten by the fitness bug now. One guy is down 200+ pounds and one of the women is down 170+.

I know that most of the people on here don't need this kind of motivation, but lets be honest--it took something to get us started in the first place. Some people need to be bribed to get moving and then hopefully they come to love it and it becomes a lifestyle.

I've been doing my best to recruit other folks to get involved in local 5k's and even have 3 or 4 who seem to be committed to doing a sprint in May. My boss is a runner and his boss used to marathon, so I've got a receptive ear. I just need some ideas of what programs are working for other businesses.

2006-12-13 2:23 PM
in reply to: #623326

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Fitness Incentives From Work
Where I work, we have an annual fitness challenge. It's strictly optional, and it lasts about a month or two. We have teams of 4-5 employees (self-chosen), and everyone logs their workouts. Points are based on length of time spent, not on the activity (we include things like golf and other stuff). At the end, there's a cash prize to the winning team.

I know my insurance offers a reimbursement if you maintain a gym membership for a year.
2006-12-13 2:27 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

We have some simple on-site exercise facilities at my work.   Just a basic weight room with some bikes and treadmills, etc.   They also allow us to extend our lunch hour by 30 minutes with pay to exercise.  That seems to work for a lot of people.   There are still plenty that don't workout.  I mean really, wouldn't you rather go for a walk than work if you are getting the same pay?

2006-12-13 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
My employer reimburses us up to a certain amount on memberships to gyms, pools, etc. They've looked into more active programs, but we haven't had much success yet. The after-hours aerobics didn't last...
2006-12-13 2:42 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Old company had an on-site fitness center. Current employer does not. Current employer does offer a range of fitness related activities (weight loss, stress management, activity challenges, nutrition, etc.) Biggest recent offering is a subsidy for health club membership. I think the current offering is up to $40 per month (individual or family membership) with the caveat that the employee must log 24 visits per quarter (about twice a week) to be reimbursed.

Haven't signed up yet because I run/bike on my own (outside) and have cheap access to a pool (community pool is $1.25 per swim).

Manufacturer's Hanover used to have a corporate challenge run in various cities (Manny Hanny). Would your company sponsor a team for something like this?

It'll really come down to what the company management promotes/encourages. It is one thing to offer a T-shirt and race fee (which will get some participation) and another to offer that plus on-the-clock activities.
2006-12-13 2:49 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Here at my place of employment, if you workout and do all this endurance crap that I do, the incentive is that you get to have all of your fellow employees consider you to be a malnourished freak while they sit around munching on their doughnuts and breakfast boudin.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Cool

2006-12-13 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
We have several challenges that are unique from most businesses. Our crews work anywhere from 8-14 hr shifts and "float" throughout the county during their shift. They do go to stations, but not the same station each time. So, there is no really opportunity for them to work out during their shift. There's also no "lunch" during their shift so that opportunity is out as well. We do have a gym onsite with several treadmills, bikes, weights, etc.

Currently, we have what i call the Medic Triathlon Post (drive around all day)---Eat---Sleep
2006-12-13 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Our firm has a deal with the local YMCA to waive the initiation fee.  Only a few employees have taken advantage of it, and they probably would have joined anyway.

Think we currently have about a half dozen triathletes/runners out of about 75 staff members.   Over eating and drinking related to entertaining clients are definitely hazards of our industry (financial services).

Mark 

2006-12-13 5:10 PM

Perth

we had pedometers for a while (employer provided), that would measure how many steps you took throughout a day (at work, home etc etc) we plotted these steps in a "virtual walk" to a destination half way across the state.

This motivated people to get out and walk their dog, with their kids etc etc, it wasn't much but for some it was a great start and they have at least kept up the walking.  It did get a bit of a buzz going and there are plenty of web sites that say howmany steps you should be taking for a healthy lifestyle, it was an eye opener for some.

2006-12-13 5:20 PM

User image

Expert
My employer paid for half of the cost of my health club membership, but pays nothing toward yearly dues. We do have an on-site facility that is pretty small, probably less that 10 machines, two treadmills and a few free weights (for a site with 2000 employees). Usage of it is $100 per year, but it is really not used that much.

Edited by TexOma 2006-12-13 5:20 PM
2006-12-13 5:46 PM
in reply to: #623376

Elite
Denver, Colorado
the bear - 2006-12-13 2:49 PM

Here at my place of employment, if you workout and do all this endurance crap that I do, the incentive is that you get to have all of your fellow employees consider you to be a malnourished freak while they sit around munching on their doughnuts and breakfast boudin.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Cool

I thought you were retired? You know, playing bingo down at the old folks home does not count as "employment."

2006-12-13 6:15 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

My company reimburses us for up to half of our gym membership and classes fees.  That's nice.

Our little branch office is pretty small, but the corporate headquarters in NYC has all kinds of events going on all the time.

Eric's office has a cycling group that, during good weather, goes out for a ride every Tuesday at lunch.  They have an on-site shower, which helps.  They also set up company-sponsored groups for various run/walk events.  In the spring, they put together a running relay team for a local relay race.

They put together a pretty good-sized team for the local Human Race 3k/10k race, and the company matches donations, and gives everyone a nice t-shirt. 

In the summer, they have 4 or 5 tri relay teams for the Vineman (cool!).  They have so many entrants, that they've even ordered tri suits from Voler, and gotten sponsors from other local companies to help defray the costs.

2006-12-13 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
We have a wellness program at work. Each month we turn in a spreadsheet noting the number of hours we have logged for fitness. Each activity has to be at least 15 minutes long and has to involve some sort of fitness activity. For every 5 hours of activity in a month we get a Wellness buck. You also get a wellness buck each month for participating. So if you log 10 hours of activity for a month you get 2 wellness bucks plus the one for participating.

Now here's the good part. You can accumulate these wellness bucks and either spend them on things such as a massage therapist comes in every couple of months or other wellness related things that they might offer. Or, you can turn them in for gift certificates to places such as the local bike shop, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc. All in all it's a good program and it forces me to keep a log of my workouts. I've taken the spreadsheet and added Swim Yard, Run and bike mile totals and that's pretty much what I do to log my workouts.
2006-12-13 9:35 PM
in reply to: #623623

User image

Extreme Veteran
jmickle11 - 2006-12-13 5:43 PM

We have a wellness program at work. Each month we turn in a spreadsheet noting the number of hours we have logged for fitness. Each activity has to be at least 15 minutes long and has to involve some sort of fitness activity. For every 5 hours of activity in a month we get a Wellness buck. You also get a wellness buck each month for participating. So if you log 10 hours of activity for a month you get 2 wellness bucks plus the one for participating.

Now here's the good part. You can accumulate these wellness bucks and either spend them on things such as a massage therapist comes in every couple of months or other wellness related things that they might offer. Or, you can turn them in for gift certificates to places such as the local bike shop, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc. All in all it's a good program and it forces me to keep a log of my workouts. I've taken the spreadsheet and added Swim Yard, Run and bike mile totals and that's pretty much what I do to log my workouts.

I love that idea!!!! Does it seem to work in terms of motivating people?

My work did a "wellness challenge" last year. Employees chose their own goal and decided on their own incentive prize. (Provided by themselves as a "treat"...we have a small budget!) The goal could be any aspect of wellness..physical (ie fitness), mental (ie grades at school...we're all students), social (ie spending more time connecting with friends), etc... Everyone chose a goal to achieve by the end date and then submitted weekly mini-goals at our staff meetings that would help them to achieve their big goal. We got a map of the world and some stickers, and each time you met your weekly goal, you got to add a sticker. That way, you could see "how far your wellness could go." It was pretty cool, and everyone was really gung-ho about it. Unfortunatley, once midterm season hit, participation peetered out and in the end only about 5 of us (out of 50) achieved our goals. I think it helped to at least get people thinking about their health and well being though!

I did some research about workplace wellness this semester at school as well, and it looks like there are some good resources on the web...check it out!

Cheers,

Megz
2006-12-14 9:36 AM

User image

Hi,
This is my first post...so bear with me. Currently military with M.S. HRM, so this topic really interests me, and I am always struggling with implementing this stuff. Yes, we can always MAKE them do it, but that is only a short term fix.

One of the best resources is a list of free websites with Wellness program information.
http://www.infinitewellnesssolutions.com/free_wellness.htm

Example programs that have worked:
http://www.healthymainepartnerships.org/MCVHP/resource_good_work_ma...

And, finally if your boss ever asks or doubts your ideas: Its all about the return on investment!

Top 10 reasons why your company needs an Employee Wellness Program!

The success of any company depends very heavily on the productivity and work performance of its human resources. The ability to function and perform at a high level consistently is greatly aided by Employee Wellness Programs. The introduction of such programs has been successful in that the results are beneficial for both the employee and the company at large. Wellness Programs focus on the physical well being of employees, looking after medical requirements and ensuring personal health is a priority. Programs offer weight loss regimes, smoking cessation programs, stress management and exercise, diet and fitness advice.

Here are the top ten reasons why your company needs an Employee Wellness Program.

#1 Decreased Health Care Costs

The implementation of Wellness Programs has proven effective in reducing company health care costs. The concept of a Wellness Program was introduced initially for dual purposes. Rising health costs meant employers were looking for a way to minimize the expense whilst maintaining healthy human resources. The inception of Wellness Programs provided an effective solution. Wellness Programs significantly reduce the high company cost of employee health care.

#2 Work Place Morale

Wellness Programs cover a broad range of healthcare initiatives. From nutritional advice to exercise programs and medical cover these programs look after diverse employee needs. The effectiveness of a Wellness Program in terms of the office environment is simple. Employees are healthy therefore on the whole a lot happier; this equates to maximized performance. They are also aware that the company is taking measures to ensure their health and wellbeing this breeds loyalty and responsibility.

#3 Reduced Absenteeism

There are many factors that influence a person’s health and well being. These could be minor infliction such as a cold or flu or major such as heart problems or obesity. Any of these could result in the employee taking time off work. The benefit of a Wellness Program is that this time will be significantly reduced, if not avoided all together. There are many small changes in lifestyle that can influence overall health and wellbeing. A Wellness Program identifies these, educates and implements them. Through education, training and professional health care a Wellness Program can greatly reduce absenteeism. For your company this is the bottom line, reduced absenteeism equals a reduction in costs and an increase in productivity.

#4 Reduced Overall Costs

Employee Wellness Programs have a range of benefits for employers. Both quantifiable figures and intangible results highlight these. For the company as a whole one of the most significant benefits is the reduction in overall company costs. It is hard to quantify what you gain via increased morale, productivity and work performance however the reduced sick leave, absenteeism and lower health costs contribute to a sizable reduction in overall costs. To further explore the cost of implementing a corporate wellness program please click on the link to receive quotes.

#5 Increased Productivity

The main aim of an Employee Wellness Program is to encourage employees to lead healthier lifestyles. This is effected through education, incentives and health care directed by the company and the Wellness Program. It is proven that when an employee is healthy they are more productive. Being healthy increases concentration, energy levels and output. It also ensures you are able to consistently perform at the desired level. Increased productivity in the work place is a by-product of the success of Wellness Programs.

#6 Increased Responsibility

An Employee Wellness Program indicates to employees that the company cares about their well being. While it is common knowledge that these programs benefit employers, the benefits are mutual. A well taken care of employee feels an affiliation with the company, they develop a level of responsibility associated with their work. This type of attitude within the work place is invaluable. An employee that feels like the company takes in interest in their wellbeing and health will take an interest in performing to the best of their ability.

#7 Increased Company Loyalty

Increased employee loyalty is another significant selling point for Employee Wellness Programs. This is one of those intangible benefits that you really can’t put a price on. Company loyalty means reduced costs in terms of recruitment and turnover. This also makes for a more harmonious working environment.

#8 Reduced Sick Leave

Wellness Programs have had a lasting impact on the cost of sick leave. Through education, training regimes and lifestyle management these types of programs have considerably reduced the cost of sick leave.

#9 Improved Work Performance

Employee Wellness Programs cater for all manner of health and lifestyle problems. The aim is to promote healthy lifestyle choices to reduce the amount of medical attention required. Lower medical costs are just the tip of the ice burg. Employees who participate in these programs have noted a substantial improvement in work performance.

#10 Decreased Health Insurance Costs

Health insurance premiums are rising exponentially every year. The cost is rapidly rising to the point where employers have to find new ways to reduce their health expenses. Wellness Programs have shown incredible returns and remarkable results. Health costs for those companies using Employee Wellness Programs are significantly reduced.
2006-12-14 10:03 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
At our place of work they put in a gym a few years ago.  They didn't have money for maintenance of weight machines, treadmills, etc. so the condition of equipment deteriorated.  They finally decided to get rid of the gym (luckily they kept the showers) and put in more office space where they could collect rent.   HOWEVER, they still maintain a freakin' HUGE smoking room (3x the size of the old gym) adjacent to the cafeteria.  Says a lot about the importance of employees health.

2006-12-14 4:35 PM
in reply to: #623989

User image

I was thinking about this topic today while I was looking at my Soldiers. What I believe has worked best for our situations is the reward of TIME, coupled with example from the leadership.

And, when I say time, I mean time to 'work-out' while at work. I know from my standpoint, when at home I want to maximize the time with family and other more important life activities.

You just have to strategically place the opportunities...for example:

Report time is normally 0900 (start of work), we move it back to 0930 for those that decide to extend their 'work-out'. This little change is HUGE. Imagine if your boss said 'You show up at work at 0830, to work out, and you can then report to work at 0930.' Wouldn't you take it! Both sides invest 30min. That is absolutly nothing!

I have also done it where we tie it into the lunch break. Everyone works-out for an hour, then eat lunch for 30-45min. It also makes them pack a much healthier lunch, rather then doing the usuall fast food (for some).

I know this sounds simplistic, but just giving the appearance of getting time from work to to PT is a huge motivator.

Now, of course, I and everyone of my subordinate leader/superviser/managers does the training with them. Appearance, accountability, and command emphasis is truely the key! Sounds like you and your bosses are ready...and who says we don't talk about the upcoming workday....

I don't know what assets you have such as equipment, gyms, showers etc... But, I am sure something can be done. Heck, even simple group walks could be effective. I even had one leader do yoga, for those that didn't want to sweat. Gotta start somewhere....Those yoga only peope eventually moved onto other activities, investing in 'wetwipes' like the rest of us.
2006-12-14 5:01 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I work for 2 YMCA's, and as an employee...I've got no excuse and BOY do they call you on it. We have the FitLinxx tracker programme, and they have a HUGE chart with every employees' info as well as stats on our departments (aquatics, corporate, fitness, maintenance, etc). There are incentives (free massages, workout gear, gift certs to dicks) for fitlinxx points for staff as well as for our regular members. When we first got FitLinxx, there was some resistance from the membership (we have an overwhelmingly older membership due to our downtown location). So they wanted the employees to be really hardcore about it so we could explain it if need be. I really liked it and it was nice to have something track my lifting and monitor how fast I was lifting, etc.

In terms of the post office...NONE. But the entire job is a workout. Today I spent 6 hours building 50lbs boxes and dragging them 1/2 a mile across a workfloor. Then I moved to NMO's, were I lifted and sorted packages over 40 lbs and wider than yay big for 4. I don't know how many calories I burned, but I'm bushed. You should see the calves on those letter carriers!
2006-12-14 5:14 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

We have a small fitness centre with treadmills, rowing machines, bikes, stair climbers, weight machines and free weights. You can use it anytime you want. Our company also sponsors us in certain events throughout the year for example the Vancouver Sun Run which is an 10km run with 60000 runners. We usually have a pasta dinner with free pasta and beer the night before.

Not directly fitness related but my employer pays for my transit pass. If you choose to bike to work they will pay for your bike maintence/tires/etc. up to the amount that you could spend on the transit pass each month.

My previous employer gave us pedometers to count our steps and had heathly eating days and semainars and fitness seminars.

The employer that I was interviewing at recently gave everyone a gym membership at fitness world.

2006-12-14 6:09 PM

User image

My company pays for half of my YMCA membership.  My boss also allows me to take extended lunch hours so that I can fit a workout in (I usually go for 1.25 or 1.5 hours.. and in exchange, I usually forego my coffee breaks on those days).

Also, our company (radio station) sponsors a bunch of local races each year.. so I get free entries into those as long as I wear station logoed gear.  I'm cool with that...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitness Incentives From Work Rss Feed