General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri club or not to tri club? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-12-20 12:36 PM
in reply to: #624726

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Tri club or not to tri club?
I get sad when I read about people getting dropped, feeling left out or like they're too slow. So when I coordinate or lead training sessions myself, I don't let it happen. I drop back myself or use the buddy system to make sure no one rides or runs alone. It's not that big a deal to have a few slower training days, and it means a lot to the slower folks, who likely will return and find other slower folks to train with sooner or later from within our club.

I wish you lived in Dallas, TX!

Ya, my tri club is just way too competitive. I know, that sounds silly. But I race for fun. Sure, I don't want to be last, but I know running a 10 minute mile, I'm sure as heck not coming anywhere near first. And I'm OK with this. I like training and racing to be FUN... nothing too serious or a chore.

I thought I would find other like minded tri folks in the club... NOPE. Not a chance. They are all really fast and most of them win in their age group. Which is great for them... that is their goal and they can do it.

I suspect slower people join the tri group, only to drop out because a majority of the people are really fast... and if you aren't up there training with them... they don't know who you are and you are not included in conversations, etc.

2007-01-02 7:09 AM

Expert
Salisbury

Is it common to have "requirements" that have to be met?

The one that I'm considering joining has a couple. There are 2 that bother me a little bit.

1) Must race 2 USAT, USCF, or NORBA races

2) Must help organize a club event. (Not exact wording)

It's not like I won't do either of these necessarily but personal issues throughout the year could cause some conflict.

2007-01-02 8:19 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I belong to my local tri club, but have to say that my experience has been similar to Karen's.  A majority of the club are FOP age groupers and elites, with even a couple of pros thrown in.

I have done some group rides, but getting dropped in the first couple of miles isn't a lot of fun.  Same deal with running - I can't keep up with the "slow" pace of most of the other club members, so why bother?. 

One of the things I took away from a Joe Friel seminar last year was to do your own workout, not somebody else's.  Besides, it's just in my makeup to workout alone - I prefer the solitude to be alone with my thoughts.   Quite frankly, even if there were others of my lack of ability in the club, I would still likely prefer to workout alone.

At the same time, I do enjoy the social aspects of the club, such as the pre-race pasta parties and monthly Friday night cookouts at the beach during the summer.  And it is neat having the other members of the club cheering and encouraging you at the races.  I also enjoy volunteering at races (including swim meets and road races in addition to tri's). 

Mark

2007-01-02 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

For those of you upset about the lack of slow runnners/bikers, think about this.  If you showed up and were the only slow person there that time, but kept coming back..... the slow runners/bikers that feel the same way about being dropped might train as well.

Set up a special training ride that YOU lead, post it on your Tri teams web site.  Every Tuesday in May Sally Jones will be leading a training ride for 10-15 MPH riders.... (or whatever your speed is) please plan on joining her at 6:30 for a 15 mile ride..

I know it is hard to do, but then you can expand the number of slower riders in the club.  If the general perception is EVERYONE is fast, none of the slow people are going to stick around (just like you did).

I know in my tri club, I am one of the slowest riders/runners.  I joined last year, partly to find out more about Tris.  The Tri club offers a weekly brick training ride/run, annual picnic with an OWS clinic, we have 50-60 members of which I have met about 20.  There are vidoes you can borrow, and club duathlons in the spring/summer months.  I can't take advantage of some of the benfits myself because of my work schdule.  The brick training takes place at 5:30 PM, and I am generally still at work.  But I am planning on joining again this year even though I can't do all of the meeting stuff.

2007-01-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: #629158

User image

Master
Sachse
KSH - 2006-12-20 12:36 PM

I get sad when I read about people getting dropped, feeling left out or like they're too slow. So when I coordinate or lead training sessions myself, I don't let it happen. I drop back myself or use the buddy system to make sure no one rides or runs alone. It's not that big a deal to have a few slower training days, and it means a lot to the slower folks, who likely will return and find other slower folks to train with sooner or later from within our club.

I wish you lived in Dallas, TX!

Ya, my tri club is just way too competitive. I know, that sounds silly. But I race for fun. Sure, I don't want to be last, but I know running a 10 minute mile, I'm sure as heck not coming anywhere near first. And I'm OK with this. I like training and racing to be FUN... nothing too serious or a chore.

I thought I would find other like minded tri folks in the club... NOPE. Not a chance. They are all really fast and most of them win in their age group. Which is great for them... that is their goal and they can do it.

I suspect slower people join the tri group, only to drop out because a majority of the people are really fast... and if you aren't up there training with them... they don't know who you are and you are not included in conversations, etc.

I am joining one tonight....at LifeTime fitness in Garland (I am already a member there....might as well take advantage of some of the activities). I know I will be BOP....... If they don't talk to me..oh well. There are plenty of people to talk to here. Which club did you join ?

Kenny
2007-01-02 11:39 AM

User image

Master
There isn't a tri club in my area ... or if there is I certainly can't find it anywhere. Maybe once I have more experience and actually know what I'm doing, I'll look into what it would take to start one.

If I did have a tri club, I'd want to go to an open water swim practice.

There are cycling and running clubs, and I'm going to join them and hopefully can find someone else who is slow to join me for training rides.

2007-01-02 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC

My husband and I are members of our local YMCA tri club.  There are a few in our area, but we chose the Y because we were already members there and it seemed the most laid back and beginner-friendly.  Turns out that it is VERY beginner friendly and even hosts a newbie clinic that starts every January and continues through to a specified goal race early in the season.  It was a great way to get started in triathlon, meet lots of like-minded people, and bring a social element into our training, which can be very solitary otherwise.  Our club members are very diverse in age, experience, and skill level, which makes it very welcoming whether you're a perpetual podium finisher or the last one across the line.  Everyone is supported.

For both of us, we pay a little over $400 per year for club dues on top of our Y memberships and private coaching, but it's well worth it.  We get lots of coached swims, run clinics, group rides, organized events, and discounts at local retailers.  Plus, we benefit from having plenty of experienced triathletes around us all the time to answer all kinds of silly questions.  I can honestly say that, without our club, there's no way I would have stuck with the training.  For me, it's hard to train unless I'm having fun, and it's hard to have fun if I'm constantly training alone.  As you can tell, I'm very pro-club, but it's important to find one that is a good fit for your personality, training goals, and schedule.

2007-01-02 1:00 PM
in reply to: #638848

User image

Runner
Are you looking at High Road's Multi-Sport club?  I was looking at them, too, but have yet to make anything even remotely like a decision.
2007-01-02 1:44 PM
in reply to: #628952

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
KSH - 2006-12-20 10:17 AM
I would also like to note that my tri club loves to workout too damn early! I'm sorry, but I don't want to ride my bike at 6:00 AM... 8:00 AM works just fine for me.

I'm sure I'm in the same tri club as you, and I have an issue with the early start times too. Swim training sessions at 5:00am? I would love to take advantage of training with the group, but with kids I can't make it on 5 hours of sleep. It would be great to have more flexibility with training times and levels.
2007-01-04 1:52 PM
in reply to: #638848

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Rencor - 2007-01-02 8:09 AM

The one that I'm considering joining has a couple. There are 2 that bother me a little bit.

It's not like I won't do either of these necessarily but personal issues throughout the year could cause some conflict.

"could cause some conflict"? 

That's the most non-committal thing I've read in weeks.  C'mon...personal issues can keep anyone from racing and volunteering, but seriously...if you want to reap any benefits from joining a club how can you NOT be willing to commit to 2 races and 1 club event.  That's a bare minimum for involvement for any club!  Without commitment to any of it, why even bother?  If that's stopping you then you probably shouldn't be in a club this year. 

Sorry if that sounded more harsh than I intended it...low blood sugar moment maybe? 

2007-01-04 2:53 PM
in reply to: #639424

Expert
Salisbury

Scout7 - 2007-01-02 2:00 PM Are you looking at High Road's Multi-Sport club?  I was looking at them, too, but have yet to make anything even remotely like a decision.

Yes that is the club I was thinking about joining.

2007-01-04 3:02 PM
in reply to: #642409

Expert
Salisbury
SunnyS - 2007-01-04 2:52 PM
Rencor - 2007-01-02 8:09 AM

"could cause some conflict"? 

That's the most non-committal thing I've read in weeks.  C'mon...personal issues can keep anyone from racing and volunteering, but seriously...if you want to reap any benefits from joining a club how can you NOT be willing to commit to 2 races and 1 club event.  That's a bare minimum for involvement for any club!  Without commitment to any of it, why even bother?  If that's stopping you then you probably shouldn't be in a club this year. 

Sorry if that sounded more harsh than I intended it...low blood sugar moment maybe? 

What about injury? What about Non-USAT events that you participate in? I don't think they mention volunteering as an option but I could be wrong.

Regarding the organizing of an event: I wouldn't feel confortable at this point in my "career" and I do have a pretty busy schedule with full time work, part time school, and training. Not to mention trying to squeeze in a social life.  I don't know how much time organizing an event would require considering I've never been in a club...hence these questions.

Edited by Rencor 2007-01-04 3:03 PM
2007-01-04 10:50 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Is it active? Are there good people in the club? DO they offer help to all levels of triathlete?

If so....join !
2007-01-05 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
The discounts on gear make it a no brainer in our club's case....I have saved far more on stuff than I have paid in membership dues which are only 65 bucks a year....I just saved over a 100 bucks on a pair of race wheels....because of the club....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri club or not to tri club? Rss Feed  

of 2