Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Computer help, reloading my XP software Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-15 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Computer help, reloading my XP software
Uggh, I know just enough to get myself in trouble.

I have Windows XP

Background: Installed a bunch of software to transfer my home videos onto DVD's, along with what came with the computer it looked as if I had three different programs. Never used them, then one day decided to, and nothing worked, Computer would freeze up. DH said get rid of them all, computer never worked right since we installed all this worthless (to us) crap.

IMPORTANT: I went on a deleting spree, and deleting anything to do with DVD's or image transfer (or so I thought)

Problem: I have not burned any photos since the deleting spree, but today I want to burn a photo cd's, something I have done in past, easy as pie.
In "my pictures", I highlight the photos I want to burn onto a disk, then look for the "copy to CD" command under the picture tasks on the left hand side where it has always been - GONE!!

I know it's got to be related to the deleting spree. So my dh, who got me in this mess to begin with (and I quote dh "Just delete everything") Says casually, just reinstall windows, and all the software that came with the computer.

Why do I think it's just not that simple? Don't I have to uninstall before I reinstall? Will I lose all my documents? I am so confused.

Is it best just to take my tower to the local computer store and have them do it?

2006-12-15 10:22 AM
in reply to: #624900

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: Computer help, reloading my XP software
You'd probably want to do a restore, not a re-install. Use the help function to find where you would located the restore function on your computer (I'm not on one w/ XP right now, or I'd look for you). You should be able to restore by date, that way you can go back to the day before you started your delete spree.

You can do what the hubby is talking about too, it's just another type of restore...you'll basically go back to factory settings.

Sorry it's not too specific...hope it helps.
2006-12-15 10:23 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
First don't do anything until someone knows exactly what the problem is. I'm still not sure I understand what the problem is. Is it that:

1. You have deleted all your pictures and want them back.

2. Need the copy DVD software back which you deleted on accident.

3. Or something else like other programs are not working.

Then I can tell you what you need to do. Sorry the description is a bit confusing.

Edited by auto208562 2006-12-15 10:24 AM
2006-12-15 10:50 AM
in reply to: #624922

User image

Extreme Veteran
1. You have deleted all your pictures and want them back. No, I have all my pictures, I just don't have the "copy to cd" function anymore. There appears to be no way to copy ANY document or photo to a cd anymore.

2. Need the copy DVD software back which you deleted on accident. No, I don't want any advanded software on our computer to edit video or the such. We bought a external hard drive to make our DVD's which is working great.

3. Or something else like other programs are not working.
2006-12-15 10:54 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with Peggy then. Try the XP restore function but good luck. It's a little flaky and doesn't work right all the time but the easiest.
2006-12-15 11:22 AM

User image

Runner
Ok, so.....The "copy to CD" command is gone from the right click menu....

Restore might work. Beyond that, does the drive itself still appear? If you click on My Computer, it should show up under the drives? If not, then I would figure out what the model is and reinstall the drivers.

If it's the copy software itself, you may be able to get away with reinstalling that software only. Chances are, it came with some sort of burning app (like Nero), and if that's gone, you hopefully still have all the disks that came with the computer. If it's the Windows copy app, restore is probably the only way.

I generally prefer to use a third-party app like Nero for creating cds and dvds. If you don't have one, you could probably find a free one out there.

2006-12-15 11:34 AM
in reply to: #624991

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scout7 - 2006-12-15 11:22 AM

Ok, so.....The "copy to CD" command is gone from the right click menu....

Restore might work. Beyond that, does the drive itself still appear? If you click on My Computer, it should show up under the drives? If not, then I would figure out what the model is and reinstall the drivers.

If it's the copy software itself, you may be able to get away with reinstalling that software only. Chances are, it came with some sort of burning app (like Nero), and if that's gone, you hopefully still have all the disks that came with the computer. If it's the Windows copy app, restore is probably the only way.

I generally prefer to use a third-party app like Nero for creating cds and dvds. If you don't have one, you could probably find a free one out there.

Ok, thank you all. I still have the drivers, I believe it to be a software application, and I have all the disks that came with the computer, so I think as far as I will go is to restore, if that does not work I will take it into the computer store - they know me there
2006-12-15 12:01 PM
in reply to: #625006

Elite
Laurium, MI

XP has a built in burning application.  That is what you are looking for.  Apparently the software you installed (and then uninstalled) wrestled windows into becoming the default burning app.  When you uninstalled it, I'm betting it didn't reset that.

In all my exerience with windows, once you screw it up, you're done.  You can do a system restore, which will put you back to a previous point, but every time I've had to do that I've the stability of the system has always gone down hill.

Personally, I would back up all of your important documents and pictures on to the external hard drive.  Then boot off the windows XP cd, reformat the entire Hard drive and do a clean install.  I actually do this annually as routine maintnence. 

In the future, you might consider formatting a secondary partition on your HD (you have the option when you boot off the CD to reinstall windows).  You can reset your 'my documents' folder (once you install windows) to the other partition, so that your OS and documents are on seperate drives.  So if you have a program that does screw something up like that, you can wipe the OS partition and reinstall without messing with backing stuff up.

If you are looking for a good, solid, simple and free burning program, check out CD Burner XP pro

Edited by vortmax 2006-12-15 12:05 PM
2006-12-15 1:29 PM
in reply to: #625044

User image

Extreme Veteran
vortmax - 2006-12-15 12:01 PM

XP has a built in burning application.  That is what you are looking for.  Apparently the software you installed (and then uninstalled) wrestled windows into becoming the default burning app.  When you uninstalled it, I'm betting it didn't reset that.

In all my exerience with windows, once you screw it up, you're done.  You can do a system restore, which will put you back to a previous point, but every time I've had to do that I've the stability of the system has always gone down hill.

Personally, I would back up all of your important documents and pictures on to the external hard drive.  Then boot off the windows XP cd, reformat the entire Hard drive and do a clean install.  I actually do this annually as routine maintnence. 

In the future, you might consider formatting a secondary partition on your HD (you have the option when you boot off the CD to reinstall windows).  You can reset your 'my documents' folder (once you install windows) to the other partition, so that your OS and documents are on seperate drives.  So if you have a program that does screw something up like that, you can wipe the OS partition and reinstall without messing with backing stuff up.

If you are looking for a good, solid, simple and free burning program, check out CD Burner XP pro

With each reply I am thinking more and more with just taking it to the computer store on Monday.
2006-12-15 1:33 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Take it to the store. They may charge you what sounds like a lot of money to fix the problem, but the time and aggrevation you'll save by reformatting/reinstalling may be worth it for you.
2006-12-15 1:46 PM
in reply to: #625158

Elite
Laurium, MI

You might try this before bringing it in to the store.  This is the way to reinstall windows without erasing everything.  The guide walks you through it rather nicely.

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897&pgno=1&queryText=

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Computer help, reloading my XP software Rss Feed