of 2

2006-12-28 12:54 PM
in reply to: #625386

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Group Check-In: Week 52
How is everyone doing in this last week of December

Looks like almost everyone has managed to get back into the swing of things and logged some very nice workouts. The holidays are always a tough time to keep a schedule and surely this year is no exception.

I find myself training for a marathon through the holidays just as I did last year and seemed to have found some sort of a balance. (Not being too absent but still getting my workouts in)

Oh, and I noticed that Pablo has been MIA for a while. We have been leaving him messages but he has not responded or logged any workouts

Hopefully he will be able to get back into it after the new year.

2006-12-31 9:21 AM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: WaterDog66's Group - FULL
It's been a pretty good week off work for me. It allowed me to get some runs in during the day which I enjoy so much more than running in the dark. I really start to taper fot my race this week with only a 4 mi 6 mi 3 mi and 8 mi planned. I probably shouldn't but I'm taking the bike out today as I havn't ridden in forever. I'll make sure it's my last long workout before the marathon now.

So Santa registered me for the SOMA HIM in October and, for my birthday, the kids gave me my entry into the Timex OLY in September. I'll also enetr the Tribute International Tri in April and that will be the bulk of my racing in 2007. There is a local OLY in March which I may enter but only if I feel I have lost enough weight to go buy a wetsuit. I want to be sure I don't buy one then lose much more and it be too big. It's time to start coming up with a 2007 training plan.

1 week to go for Waterdog before his race. GOOD LUCK !!! Do you have a time you are hoping for??

I hope everyone enjoys the weekend before heading back to work next week
2007-01-03 12:39 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: WaterDog66's Group - Open
I am opening up the group for one more peep

If you are interested, please post a reply to the thread and introduce yourself.
2007-01-03 11:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC

Hey Tim and the group,

If you still have room, I'd like to jump in.

I'm 24, married (to Global) and we have a beautiful dog together.   I've always been un-athletic, uncoordinated, and a little overweight.  I played tennis throughout high school and ran some short distance stuff and played ultimate frisbee in university, but I was always slow and never good at anything too physical.  It just so happens that I married a pretty athletic guy, however, and I wanted to be able to share that with him.  So we bought road bikes as our wedding gift to each other, took swimming lessons, and last January I convinced him to join the triathlon club at our local YMCA with me.

Last season, I did several sprints and two olys, ran my first half marathon, and started training for my first marathon but was sidelined by injury (piriformis).  I started working with a coach last summer, and it has been great.  This year, she is coaching me and hubby through a summer HIM and IM Canada in August.  I definitely don't have the base that I should have to do an Ironman, but I'm hoping that youth, determination, and consistent training will get me to the finish line in one piece.

Though weight loss isn't really as much of a focus as preparing for my goal race, I know I'd be a better triathlete if I lost about 30 pounds, so I hope to make some progress in that direction before racing season starts.

It's great to hear about everyone's training and goals, and I'd love to join your group if you have room for one more! :-)

Cheers, Kristi

2007-01-04 12:40 AM

New user

I'm back if you still want me. I've had a hectic two weeks with 28 family members in town for Christmas, not to mention closing the books for the year and trying to get as much business done last year as possible. I was sick too, didn't work out for a few weeks... that's over now.

Three questions:

1. How detailed are you all getting with your workouts? Did you actually take measurements etc?

2. The local triathlon store is selling their 2006 rental wetsuits, so tell me if it is a good deal. It is a Quintana Roo Ultrafull wetsuit that lists for $260 new and they are selling it for $168. I think the Ultrafull is an entry level triathlon wetsuit. It appears to be in good shape.

Any opinions on the quality of QR? What do you think about buying last years rentals, which the owner of the shop said were hardly used?

3. How can we get the most out of this group?

Thanks for the help! I think I will be able to work out most days for the next few weeks.

Pablo
2007-01-04 1:28 AM

New user

I've looked through your logs, it seems you are all way more advanced than me. Marathons etc. I thought this was beginnertriathlete.com? Your logs seems so regimented. I guess I need to get more serious. My current plan is.. If I feel like running, I run... if I want to swim, I swim.. if I want weights, I lift.. but I don't bike yet.. except on machines. The reason this training is so sweet is you can do what you want when you want! I guess I'm wrong.

I see that you can list goals somehow, but I haven't figured it out yet. Here are mine:

1. Run a 5k
2. Run a 10k
3. Do the Jamba Juice sprint tri in Oct
4. Join the Triathlon Club of San Diego
5. Buy a wetsuit because I just can't stand cold water anymore like I did as a kid surfing/body surfing or boogie boarding

for 2008:
Olympic Tri somewhere. I think it would be cool to do that distance, it would be like the world benchmark.

So my New Years Resolution is to post everyday. I usually keep my resolutions: last year I lost 20lbs and 4 years ago I stopped dipping ( I hear it is harder to break that habit than it is to stop herion ).

If you keep me, I know I will be pestering you with questions all the time. Waterdog66, you might need another new member, that asked to join, just to answer all my questions.

Have fun training,
Pablo

2007-01-04 9:36 AM
in reply to: #641613

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Welcome to the group Element

You and Global have some very cool goals and race plans and it would be great to have you in the group.

2007-01-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: #641662

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Your still in the group Pablo

I really like your approach to training. That is exactly what I did my first year of training for Triathlons with some pretty satisfying results.

You can list goals in your blog. (I will Send you the instructions by PM)

I think that your resolution to post is a good one. Posting on a regular basis is probably more important than trying to do it every day. (We are all busy folks)

Looking forward to your participation with the group
2007-01-04 2:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northern California
Subject: RE: WaterDog66's Group - Full

welcome Element and welcome back Pablo.

brad 

2007-01-04 4:54 PM
in reply to: #642487

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
bshehan - 2007-01-04 12:41 PM

welcome Element and welcome back Pablo.

brad 

Thanks!  Is it Friday yet??

2007-01-05 4:53 AM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
It's Friday now.

Welcome Element and welcome back Pablo

2007-01-05 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC

Well happy Friday everyone!

How's everybody doing at the end of this week?  Big weekend plans, training or otherwise?

I have a swim and a ride on Saturday and a run on Sunday.  In between, hubby and I need to work on painting our place, make a trip to Vancouver to buy some furniture, and attend 2 parties, one of which is for our Tri Club.  That's the best thing about triathlon buddies I think -- they too have to get up early on the weekends to train, so the parties start early and everyone is home in time for a good night's sleep.  Gotta love it.

2007-01-05 1:13 PM
in reply to: #643706

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Have been in the final week of taper for my upcoming marathon on Sunday.

the plan I am following is really good at giving me enough mileage to run to keep me from going totally nuts. (3 weeks is a long time to taper after all)

My training cycle has gone extremely well. I could DNF the race and it would not detract one bit from this. I have been finding a lot of speed in these final weeks and I am really hopful for a big PR

I plan on taking a bit of a break from Marathoning for a while and resetting my focus back on Triathlons. (Next Marathon is in December) This means scaling back my run mileage a bit and striking more of a balance. (The plan is 60-70 miles per week of running)

Oh, and my team took first place for the year in the Marathon Mileage Game over on RT. I signed up for another year as this is really a lot of fun. (Not to mention a big boost for my running) Quite a few of my team mates are Sub-3 marathoners and 2 of them are Olympic Trials Qualifiers. (Certainly a pleasure to be a BOPer in this crowd)

Have a great weekend everyone
2007-01-05 5:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northern California

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been sending, and responding, to Inspire messages.  I'm not ignoring you all, it's just busy during my work week.  I appreciate all the messages, and promise to get caught up with everyone on my next day off--Sunday.  I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Happy training. 

2007-01-06 6:46 AM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ

Nothing big planned this weekend. Last medium run before the race (8 miles) and I said I would go for a short (12 miles or so) bike ride with one of my daughter's friends. I have a trip to the eye doctor planned to see if contact lenses will work for me. Finding lightweight prescription sunglasses is becoming an expensive pain and I would really like to be able to see the pace clock at the pool. Hopefully it will work out.

Happy Training Everyone

2007-01-16 2:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northern California
Good afternoon everyone.  I hope your weekends were great, and that training is going well. 

2007-01-16 5:07 PM
in reply to: #656717

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Good idea reviving this thread.

Maybe we can get a weekly going to see how everyone is doing

Training is going well. Finished up my Post-Marathon Recovery and just started my HIM Training plan. Volume will pick up quite a bit. (Especially on the bike)

going to be out of town next weekend and hope to get some high altitude training in while I am there. (Up on the local mountains)

Train Well Peeps
2007-01-31 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Anyone up for a Run/Bike Challenge next month. (Starts tomorrow)

The idea is to set a goal at the beginning of the month and then track progress against the goal. We may or may not form up into teams.

It really is a lot of fun. I did a Swim Challenge in December and had a blast. (Not to mention the boost it gave me for my training)

If you are interested, just head over to the "Challenge Me" forum and sign up. (DRM is going to post a Sticky thread) See DRM's post at the bottom of the "February is Coming" thread for the rules of the game.

2007-01-31 2:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northern California
I'd love to, but running is still a question mark at this point.  I'll go look.  Maybe I can just do biking.
2007-04-03 3:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northern California

Hello all.  I hope everyone is doing well.  I just thought I would check in with the group as a whole, and see what's new with everyone. 

Congratulations to Tim on a great HIM this weekend.  Truly impressive.  

I hope everyone's training is going well.  I'm actually getting some runs in and seem to be staying mostly pain free, so I'm getting excited for the season. 

How are you all doing?

brad 

2007-04-03 3:20 PM
in reply to: #747590

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Good idea Brad

Glad to hear your recovery is going well and that your looking forward to your season.

Still planning on doing CIM in the fall?

2007-04-03 4:12 PM
in reply to: #747602

Extreme Veteran
Northern California

WaterDog66 - 2007-04-03 1:20 PM Good idea Brad Glad to hear your recovery is going well and that your looking forward to your season. Still planning on doing CIM in the fall?

Yup, that's the plan.  I'm slated to run The Relay from Calistoga to Santa Cruz May 5th and 6th.  And I'm signed up for Vineman HIM at the end of July, and hope to get in a sprint and an Oly before then, since I've not yet done any Triathlon.  And then I plan to get in at least 1 half mary and the CIM to round out my year.  Of course this is all predicated on me staying healthy. 

What's everyone esle's season/year look like?

2007-04-04 5:27 PM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ

Hello all

Brad I'm glad you are able to run regularly again. Just in time to stop you packing on the pounds when you go on your birthday cruise in a few weeks.

Tim, what an awesome race. Your IMLP slot is for this year right?

My season / year starts in May with my first OLY (Tempe International) I'll do another OLY (TBD) and the SOMA HIM in October. I am probably 90% committed to IMAZ in 2008 I guess I will have to decide for sure pretty shortly. Fortunatley I hear that registration doesn't open the day after the race as I will be in San Diego that day. I plan on just hitting the web site evey day until it opens.

Ran in the afternoon today for the first time in a while. It's getting hot here 88 !!

Have a great day

2008-01-20 7:58 AM

New user
Subject: traveling with your bike
Can anyone advise me on how to take my bike on a plane? I will be doing the Danskin Tri down at Disneyworld in May and I've never travelled this far with my bike. I'm assuming you get a box, but from where? And I'm sure I can expect to pay to take it with me, but approximately how much? Thanks! Barbara
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WaterDog66's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 2