2006-12-15 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: WaterDog66's Group - Full
UserName:

WaterDog66 (Tim)

Story:

I quit my job as the CTO of a Software Company 3 years ago (Too Much Travel, Stress, Bad Food on the Road, and a horrible Commute) and found a new (More Pedestrian) job 3 miles from home, 2 miles from the gym, and 6 miles from the beach and Started Training for my first Triathlon. (I ran my first Olympic on my 38th Birthday)

Last Winter, I decided to focus on Running, as it was my weakest discipline, and now after 5 Half Marathons and 3 Full Marathons, my run does not suck as bad I am now a Triathlete and a Marathoner. Not only to I aspire to qualify for Kona Someday, I also aspire to qualify to run the Boston Marathon.

Family:

Married with 2 Kids.

Training:

I am currently training for a my 4th Full Marathon in January and also base building for my first Half Ironman in March. I am registered for another Half Ironman in May and plan on doing at least one more later in the season. The goal is to either get an open slot, or qualify for a slot in a 2008 Full Ironman.

Of course I will also be back for the 4th Annual Olympic Triathlon on my 41st Birthday to celebrate my new life. (Just for fun) In the fall, will be switching back to Marathon Training to get ready for a Winter Marathon in December.

I generally follow Higher Mileage Training plans written by Pete Pfitzinger based on Daniels Running Formula and and developed my own triathlon training plans also based on Daniels.

Weight:

Although I did not start doing Triathlons or Marathons with the goal of losing weight, I have lost about 40 Pounds since quitting my job 3 years ago.

Now, at the age of 40, I am in the best shape of my life and loving every minute of it.

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-01-04 9:42 AM

2006-12-16 8:29 AM
in reply to: #625386

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: WaterDog66's Group - OPEN
Hi Tim

You were the first to send me a welcome note and I appreciated the "inspire me" this week. If you will take me I'd be happy to join your group.

I’m 42 (43 in a couple of weeks) Married with 2 daughters. There was no one reason I started this journey (at 5’7 230 lbs almost exactly a year ago) just a realization that, at my age, I might not have too many more chances to get my weight under control and make a difference in how I am able to live the rest of my life. A friend had told me about Michael Pate’s ‘When Big Guy’s Tri’ book which, after reading, gave me the last push I needed to get off the sofa and start moving. In 2006 I completed 3 Sprint Tris. 2 were pool swims and 1 OWS. It’s been great to see that I went from being in the bottom 10 % to maybe in the bottom 30% to a solid middle of the pack finish in just a year. So a year later I’m down to 180 lbs and while I still have a ways to go truly have not felt this well in twenty years.

I’m training right now for the PF Chang RnR Marathon which is just 4 weeks from now (I should be out running 14 miles right now rather than typing this). My goal is to complete 2 OLY and a HIM next year, I know I can do it and kind of wish the marathon was behind me so I could start focusing on all three sports more.

Let’s see if we can get 4 more to join the group and work together to achieve everything we want in 2007

Mike
2006-12-16 9:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ocean City
Hey Tim,
I would like to join your group if possible?

My name is Matt, I am a 32 year old Surf Shop Owner in New Jersey. I started this Journey Last year at this time when me and my wife split up and I relized that despite surfing I was 30 pounds overweight and smoking a pack a day. In a few short months I quit smoking and droped all 30 pounds to ge back to my pre-married weight. ( which it turns out has gotten me back to surfing like I havent in years!.
There are not a whole lot of people in my area that are into tri's, I live in a beach community that is very vacant in the winter. So most people around here spend most of their nights at the local pub( although I have been known to throw afew back myself)
Anyway my goals for this year are to finish in the top 10 of a local sprint tri in may(finished 29th last year) and to complete the Timberman 70.3 in late august .
The Timberman will be the toughest as when the summer hits the store is real busy and I have been known to skip alot of workouts to go surf!!
2006-12-16 10:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
Northern California

Hi,

If you still have room, I'd like to join your group.  I'd love to be training the distances you train some day.  I'm a 39 year-old  father of two small kids.  I'm cop in northern CA.  I started to train about 6 months ago.  I had planned to do my first sprint tri last sept, but my son ended up in the ER early on the morning of the race, so...  But he's fine.  Any way, I just ran my first 1/2 mary, and have run 2 10K's over the last few months.  I'm in the middle of BT's 20 month Marathon plan with the goal race being the Napa Valley Marathon on March 4th.  I'm wanting to do 3 or 4 tri's this summer, with the first being early May.  I figure I need to start swimming and cycling again sometime in the next 2 months.  So, that's me in a nutshell.

Brad 

2006-12-16 11:24 AM
in reply to: #625656

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Hey, Welcome to the group Mike.

Your going to have a blast at RnR. A friend of mine did it last year and came back in total sensory overload. His race went pretty much as planned but I don't think he anticipated the support from the crowds of spectators and the carnival that is RnR.

Sounds like you have some excellent race goals next year. Oh, and if you are looking for a late season HIM to do, you might look at SOMA in October. The swim is in Town Lake in Tempe. (Same as IMAZ)

Enjoy your run today
2006-12-16 11:29 AM
in reply to: #625674

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Welcome to the group Matt.

Sounds like you have made a lot of progress.

I totally hear ya about surfing and it's impact on training. I never realized how much a 2 hour session takes out of you until I tried to get a 10 mile run in one day after a morning session. (I Bonked hard at like mile 3)

Finding that balance has been pretty tough.

In the end, we all do the best we can with our training, especially when outside commitments encroach on your schedules. Sounds like you have some great goals and Timberman is going to be very fun. A lot of BT peeps will be doing this one and the FE is going to be big.

I bet your one of those NJ surfers I have seen walking across the snow in bare feet to get to the surf in the morning. Brrrrrrr

2006-12-16 11:39 AM
in reply to: #625724

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Welcome to the group Brad.

Your going to have a great time in Napa. I think this is one of the best smallish races in Cal. So many of my friends have done this race and always come back and in need of a "Grin-Ectomy" because they cannot stop smiling

You have some great goals for the 2007 season and we are lucky that we have so many great races and a very long season to run them. (Most folks are shoveling snow during our prime fall season)

Early may sounds like you might be doing Wildflower. If so, this race is going to be huge for the BT peeps. (Lots of folks doing it)

Glad to hear your Son is OK
2006-12-17 5:28 AM

New user

Hi Tim,

I'd like to give it a Tri.

My background: I'm 41, single. I played waterpolo in highschool, used to bodysurf (now the water is too cold for some reason). I don't think I will have a problem with the swim, I think it is the run I'm going to dread. I do know that I've done 1.5 miles running in under 10 min before, only because it kept me from having to run 1.5 miles for another 4 weeks. I really need help with the running motivation. As for the biking? No idea, I have a mountain bike that I will use for the first few events, then if I keep the motivation I will buy a bike better for tri racing.

Add me to your group if you have room WaterDog

2006-12-17 10:38 AM
in reply to: #626137

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Welcome to the group Pablo.

IMHO folks that grew up in the surf have a definite advantage in an ocean based OWS. While everyone else is freaking out over big surf, were like, "Bring it on"

The good news is that you can use a wetsuit in most every ocean swim.

The run will get better for you. It is just about getting out there and doing the miles...
2006-12-17 4:50 PM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
Hello,

You've already been helpful and encouraging on my blog, could I get in your group?

Edited by widgeon 2006-12-17 4:51 PM
2006-12-17 6:33 PM
in reply to: #626415

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
You are in.

Glad you decided to join us

2006-12-17 8:59 PM
in reply to: #626474

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA

Thanks Tim, here's the story on me. And hello to my fellows here, I've added you to my blog.

username widgeon, Tim IRL

Story: I've never been athletic but was always adventurous and have done caving, climbing, flying, backpacking, diving and other stuff. In 2004 I stumbled onto BT and signed up (as username wrybosome) with the idea of doing a sprint. Toward the end of that summer I injured my foot in a boat accident, didn't make the race, stopped logging here, and gave up on the whole idea. Went back to hanging out in pubs and playing music. By May of this year I'd gotten very soft, totally out of shape, stiff, sore, irritable. Then I went out with some coworkers to celebrate a work event, and got pulled over immediately after leaving the parking lot with my lights out. DUI, handcuffs, photographs, the whole nine yards. (sounds awful, but my blood level was .11)

It was the best pain in the a$$thing that ever happened, I started training again right away and havent looked back since. I've completed a 1/2 marathon, which was a big milestone for me, and now I'm aiming at an olympic tri in June 07.

Life: I'm a chemist in the philadelphia area and live with my wife and four kids, 2 cats, and gerbil.

Training: I train consistently 5-6 days per week, about 4-5 hours total. I've concentrated mostly on swimming and running since I'm confident on a bike. The swimming was going well, but I developed biceps tendinitis from overdoing upper body moves in a gymnastics class my wife and I did, so I'm still feeling my way back there. My goals are to complete the oly in June with a time somewhere toward the top of the 4th quartile but with a smile on my face.

I know I can complete all the events in the oly, but the back to back will be a challenge as will keeping a better pace than I do now. Swimming i need to work on volume and pace, bicycling and running I need to work on pace and secondarily on volume as a support to a better race pace.

Surfing: Always wanted to do this but don't know how to start 2 hrs from the ocean, and NJ ocean at that.

Edited by widgeon 2006-12-17 9:01 PM
2006-12-18 9:19 AM
in reply to: #626552

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ocean City
widgeon - 2006-12-17 9:59 PM

Thanks Tim, here's the story on me. And hello to my fellows here, I've added you to my blog.

username widgeon, Tim IRL

Story: I've never been athletic but was always adventurous and have done caving, climbing, flying, backpacking, diving and other stuff. In 2004 I stumbled onto BT and signed up (as username wrybosome) with the idea of doing a sprint. Toward the end of that summer I injured my foot in a boat accident, didn't make the race, stopped logging here, and gave up on the whole idea. Went back to hanging out in pubs and playing music. By May of this year I'd gotten very soft, totally out of shape, stiff, sore, irritable. Then I went out with some coworkers to celebrate a work event, and got pulled over immediately after leaving the parking lot with my lights out. DUI, handcuffs, photographs, the whole nine yards. (sounds awful, but my blood level was .11)

It was the best pain in the a$$thing that ever happened, I started training again right away and havent looked back since. I've completed a 1/2 marathon, which was a big milestone for me, and now I'm aiming at an olympic tri in June 07.

Life: I'm a chemist in the philadelphia area and live with my wife and four kids, 2 cats, and gerbil.

Training: I train consistently 5-6 days per week, about 4-5 hours total. I've concentrated mostly on swimming and running since I'm confident on a bike. The swimming was going well, but I developed biceps tendinitis from overdoing upper body moves in a gymnastics class my wife and I did, so I'm still feeling my way back there. My goals are to complete the oly in June with a time somewhere toward the top of the 4th quartile but with a smile on my face.

I know I can complete all the events in the oly, but the back to back will be a challenge as will keeping a better pace than I do now. Swimming i need to work on volume and pace, bicycling and running I need to work on pace and secondarily on volume as a support to a better race pace.

Surfing: Always wanted to do this but don't know how to start 2 hrs from the ocean, and NJ ocean at that.

Hey Nj's Ocean Gets good waves just like everyone else! You just have to suffer in the cold!
2006-12-18 11:09 AM
in reply to: #626753

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA

colby995 - 2006-12-18 10:19 AM  Hey Nj's Ocean Gets good waves just like everyone else! You just have to suffer in the cold!

I can deal with cold.   But how do you get started?  Is it year round or 3 season?  Every time I go there (Ocean City) the waves are like 3 feet high.   Do you look for storms out at sea?

2006-12-18 12:05 PM
in reply to: #626868

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Just go here:

http://www.surfline.com/home/index.cfm

Lots of Cams, Surf Reports and Short Term Forecasts most popular surf spots. (Including Ocean City)

You never have to leave the couch to find out if the surf is breaking. Also, if you are looking for a longer range outlook, try this site:

http://www.wetsand.com

No cams, a bit less flash but offers free longer range forecasts for Swell, Wind and Water Temps.
2006-12-18 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: WaterDog66's Group - FULL
Now that we are all here:

1). Let's make sure to get everyone else in our buddy list
2). Log what we can in our training logs

I think we all have at least the first part of the 2007 season planned out and that is great. Having a goal race is the best way to keep our training on track.

Just remember, life happens. We are not always going to get all of our planned workouts in and that is great. (We do the best that we can do)

Today is a new day and all we can really do is focus on the here and now

Train Happy Everyone...

2006-12-19 6:49 PM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
I see we have some good runners in our group so I'd like to ask you what you eat / drink on a long run. As you know it's my 20 miler this weekend and because every long run is new to me it's always a bit of a guessing game as to how much and what to eat and drink. It's always interesting to see what others would do.

regards

mike
2006-12-19 7:22 PM
in reply to: #628509

Extreme Veteran
Northern California

mikeg123 - 2006-12-19 4:49 PM I see we have some good runners in our group so I'd like to ask you what you eat / drink on a long run. As you know it's my 20 miler this weekend and because every long run is new to me it's always a bit of a guessing game as to how much and what to eat and drink. It's always interesting to see what others would do. regards mike

Hey Mike,

I don't know if I qualify as a "good" runner yet, but here's what I've been doing with some success.  On long runs I eat Gu gels; generally 1 right before I leave on the run and 1 every 30 minutes.  For hydration, I have a two bottle fuel belt, and I take a 20oz bottle of Gatorade and a 20oz bottle of water, and I alternate bottles each time I drink.  I try to not follow a Gu gel immediately with Gatorade.  My stomach likes it better if I wash down the Gu with water.  I run a 5 mile loop with my house in the middle and I replace water bottles as needed on really long runs.  I think I would probably need to supplement more electrolytes if the weather was hotter though.

Brad 

2006-12-19 7:34 PM
in reply to: #628509

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
What I do is pack 1 or 2 Gu Gels (Non-Cafeinated) with me in my fuel belt and eat them as needed. I only carry water with me on my Long Runs and races.

I found through painful experience, that Gels in general are very bad juju for me. The Marathon already seems to expose an intestinal weakness, and the gel just makes it all that much worse.

Also, Gatorade is very good for me during recovery, but very bad for me during a race. (The Salt content just makes me want to drink more)

When I ran Long Beach in October, I only ended up eating one gel at mile 18 and I am not sure I really needed it. I was starting to feel bad but was probably not bonking. (I did feel better after taking it though)

For Orange County in January, I am planning on ditching the belt and just using water from the course. I also plan on taking some imodium before the race. (I have already tried this during a couple of long runs and a Tuneup Race (Half Marathon) and it really helps)

I will still carry gels but since I did every long run during this training cycle (Up to 24 miles) without taking gel, I will probably just go without unless something very bad happens.

In the end, this is a very personal preference sort of thing and requires a bit of trial and error during training. I did not discover my GI issues until mile 15 of my first Marathon. (It never hit me during any of the 4 previous half marathons) I have had to manage it on some level on all 3 marathons. (The 1st was by far the worst)

Not certain if this helps
2006-12-20 9:55 AM
in reply to: #626868

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ocean City
widgeon - 2006-12-18 12:09 PM

colby995 - 2006-12-18 10:19 AM  Hey Nj's Ocean Gets good waves just like everyone else! You just have to suffer in the cold!

I can deal with cold.   But how do you get started?  Is it year round or 3 season?  Every time I go there (Ocean City) the waves are like 3 feet high.   Do you look for storms out at sea?

You just have to know when to go (noreasters) Just learn to love 35 degree water and its as good as anywhere!
2006-12-21 11:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northern California

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd check in and say hello. I hope everyone is having a good workout week and staying healthy. I stayed home sick from work tonight, and read Running Times and Triathlete magazine. I also got to kiss my kids goodnight (on their foreheads, so they don't get sick too) wich I don't get to do during my work week--so that was cool. Anyway, I got a lot of motivation from reading the magazines, now I just need to wait till I'm healthy enough to put it to good use.

I'm pretty sure I won't be working out tomorrow or Saturday, so here's how I did this week:

28.5 miles of running. 

How'd everyone else do?  And yes, Waterdog will make us all look bad, but that's why he's the mentor.   

happy training.

brad

Edited by bshehan 2006-12-21 11:14 PM

2006-12-22 11:18 AM
in reply to: #631215

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Glad to hear your on the mend Brad

My week is going pretty much as planned so far. (Training Week Ends Sunday) Am currently in my first week of taper for my race and the mileage load for the week is still adequate to ward off the crazies. Feel like I am finding a bit of speed as I shed miles which is a very good thing.

Have my first full rest day planned for Monday since November 13th. (Am guessing that is not a good thing to go that long without a full down day)

Have a 10k Time Trial scheduled for tomorrow at the track and the goal is to validate my goal pace for the upcoming race. (Should be fun as long a I don't puke)

Train Well and have a Happy Holidays everyone
2006-12-22 4:31 PM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
Like WaterDog I'm glad you are feeling better Brad.

I have swam 4000 yards and ran 20 miles so far. One day left in my week and it's a big one. 20 Miles tommorow!!

Happy Holidays and good training to everyone.

Mike
2006-12-26 1:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northern California

Hi guys,

Hope everyone's holiday was good.  Mine was great.  I got a Cycleops fluid2 trainer from my wife.   Haven't tried it out yet, but it's going to be nice to be able to get rides in while it's raining. 

Finally ran again today.  It felt good to get outside and get the legs moving.  

Happy training. 

2006-12-27 11:53 AM
in reply to: #633346

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Yeah, the Holidays are fun, but I am glad that it is over

I am off work all week this week and plan on heading to the LBS to buy the same model Trainer that you have. (Would be very interested in hearing what you think of it)

Living in SoCal, I just never thought I needed one but my first "A" race of the season is in March and so most of my training will be in Winter. (And I would rather be on the trainer than out on the streets in the dark)

Glad your feeling better and hope your staying dry. (The Storm just hit us pretty hard last night and is now headed East Toward Colorado)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WaterDog66's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 2