2006-12-15 5:16 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: parrj's Group - FULL

UserName:

parrj (Jeff)

Story:

I am a 31 y.o. PhD student at the University of Florida, working on a degree in athletic training/sports medicine and a minor in human nutrition.  I am single.  I started triathlons 2 years ago, this will be my 3rd season in '07.  It started out as a way for me to loss weight.  I had come back to Florida after winter break and was at my all time heaviest weight.  Plus I had just split a pair of new pants I had received for xmas, so I knew it was time to loss some weight.  I am currently down about 55lbs from that point, looking to drop about another 15-20lbs.  Fall is a particualy hard time because of football and tailgating and all the holidays.  I have done a couple sprint tri and a handful of sprint du's.  Had to fight off some shoulder injuries last season.  I squeeze in some road races whenever I can.

Training:

My goals for the 07 season are going to complete my first full marathon in Feb, my first Olympic Tri in April and my first half ironman in Aug.  Making this a big year of first for me.  I typically train about 7-10hours a week right now and like to vary the training to stay fresh.   I typically don't follow a training plan because my background in exercise science is pretty good and i know what i should be doing.  But i plan on using one for my HIM and i'm kind of following one for the marathon.

Edited by parrj 2006-12-19 4:10 PM

2006-12-16 7:42 AM
in reply to: #625414

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: RE: parrj's Group - OPEN
Hi jeff
I would love to join your group....just a bit of background on me.
I am very new to tri's and to this site. I just decided 2 months ago to start training. I am 36, F, single, but married to my job I am a chef and restaurant owner, which makes it difficult to lose weight (although I have recently lost 12 lbs) I am not overweight by much..maybe 10 lbs and would like that to be part of my goal.
I have always been athletic, lacrosse player for college and post-college. but then got out of it. I train at the gym in strength training 4-5 times a week. Swim 3-4 times a week, run 2-3 and bike on a stationary only 1-3 times a week. I need work on my biking, but my swimming is strong and I think my biggest worry, is how am I ever gonig to do ALL 3 races in one. I am aiming for a April 15 sprint race.

Looking forward to learining from you and training.

Thanks!
Jamie

I chose you b/c of your great background as well as the fact that you are in Flroida too

2006-12-16 6:26 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Jamie,

Nice of you to join and let me welcome you to the BT community.  The Florida group of Bters are fantastic.  Sounds like you have a great start/plan ahead of you.  Being a chef would kill me because i'm addicted to food.  I'm on the seafood diet.  I see it, I eat it.    If you have any questions in particular, please feel free to post them or send me a private message (PM).  I suggest just looking around the site, forums, others logs and what not.  Look forward to being able to help you along.

2006-12-17 8:58 AM

Hi Jeff
I would like to join your group. I am brand new to tri's. I was down in Clearwater this past November and by luck the Ford Ironman was there. It was one of the most inspirational things I've witnessed. I have to give it a try.

I am 42 from upstate NY. I started doing some training the last month, biking, running and some core work. I was trying to formulate a training plan, but have not yet. I figured better to start just doing something.

I'm 6'2, about 190lbs, self-employed.

Thanks
Carl
2006-12-17 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Carl,

Nice to have you on board and welcome to BT.  This is a great community with a ton of information and knowledge.  I encourage you to look around at forums, logs, whatever.  If you have any specific questions either post them here or you can private message (PM) me.   Do you have any races planned for the upcoming season???

2006-12-18 12:33 AM

User image

Regular
Bend, Or
Hey Jeff,

You accepting folks from the West coast?

My name is Ed, and I'm a 33 yr old father, husband, business owner. I'm 5'6" and 178 lbs (although could be more now after the Xmas parties this weekend!). I was a pretty serious soccer athlete growing up, but lost my way in my 20s. At one point in my life I was 215! I resolved to get back into shape and completed an multi-day AIDS Ride and a Oly for TeamInTraining. Since that time, I've changed my career, my location, got married, had a child, and started a business (all in that order). Needless to say, training has taken a bit of a backseat. However, now I'm the boss, and I've got another child on the way (due in June). So, I figure it's now or not for a while.

My goals are a HIM in June, and a local race called the Pole, Pedal, Padle (in May...i think). I'm planning on using the Beginner HIM Plan through this site for training, and would like to encorporate heart-rate training into the program.

Cheers.

Edited by buschy 2006-12-18 12:35 AM

2006-12-18 8:37 AM

User image

Hi,

I'd like to have you as a mentor as your credentials sound the best and I'm aiming to compete in multiple competitions as well.

I'm 6ft 24y.o and work a 9-5 in tech support at a law firm in Westminster. I live on my own (soon to have a flatmate) and spend 6-7 hours a week training, which also includes running and spinning. There is no swimming in my routine yet.

I play soccer mostly once a week for a few hours and have been going to the gym for the past few years, although without any real goals. At the gym my focus (if you can call it that) has been on strength rather then cardio. I can just about swim, but can't do the breathing every few strokes thing, i swim with my head above water.

Other then that i was never in to sport at school I’m 6ft and was always weighed around the 15st mark. Now I’m hovering around the 13st mark.

Last month i signed up for a sprint triathlon which takes place in August. I've looked at some of the training logs and have decided on 20 weeks sprint - swim focus. The first few weeks i went full steam ahead into the training disregarding the time limits and as such wore myself out very quickly.

I'm in the process of buying a bike and reading about the front crawl, I’ll have to buy the Total Immersion Triathlon book.

So i've got 8 months/32 weeks really to get in tip top condition.

William.

P.S. I'm in London, England.

Edited by wiltech 2006-12-18 8:38 AM
2006-12-18 8:42 AM
in reply to: #626197

Hi Jeff
My goal s to run the Clearwater Beach 70.3 in November 07.

Thanks
Carl
2006-12-19 8:21 AM
in reply to: #626634

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Ed,

Welcome to BT.  Sounds like you have a good start and a little background in racing tri's already.  Congrats on the child on the way.  When is your wife expecting?   Is your family pretty supportive of your training?   Doing a HIM seems like there is a big time commitment, you sure thats something you want with the new addition coming soon.  If I can be of any help or answer any questions please let me know.

2006-12-19 8:28 AM
in reply to: #626714

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

William,

Sounds like you have a good plan ahead of you.  A sprint is a great event to start out with and you left yourself plenty of time to train.  Swimming was one of my biggest problems as well.  I started reading the total immersion book at the bookstore and ended up buying it because it has helped me so much.  You can look at my logs and see how far i can swim now, compared to at other points.  I would say to the biggest thing for you now would be, 1. stick to a training program, or at least the recommended hours.  Don't going burning yourself out.  I've found that tri seasons can be very long.  2. With every workout, have a goal for that workout.  Without knowing were you are now, i would say it should probably be increasing distance or time. (known as base building)  3. Have fun.

If there are any questions I can answer, please let me know.

2006-12-19 8:34 AM
in reply to: #626721

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

rede2train - 2006-12-18 9:42 AM Hi Jeff My goal s to run the Clearwater Beach 70.3 in November 07. Thanks Carl

Carl,

If you are talking about the Ford Ironman 70.3 World Championship, you need to qualify for that race by doing and placing in a particapating 70.3.  I don't believe they give out slots like Hawaii does for the full ironman.  Plus a HIM is a huge race for your first season.  A good website to find races at is www.trifind.com  you can look by state and find races all over Florida.  If you plan on doing a HIM towards the end of the year, I would definitely try to through in a couple sprints or even an olympic just to prepare yourself.  Don't want you to burn out and hate tri's in your first season.

Jeff

2006-12-19 8:52 AM
in reply to: #627703

Thanks for info, I thought I could run in that as long as I registered before it filled up.

Carl
2006-12-19 9:03 AM

User image

Hi guys,

One thing tat would be a hinderence is filling out these training logs every day or every week. It is very involved and specific, what is the minimum required do you think.

Last night i ran approximately 5 miles in 39:20:20, is this good or not?

William.
2006-12-19 11:34 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Basically the log is a way for everyone to track what you are doing and how you are doing.  So keeping up a good log is important.  You don't need to fill out a weight, body fat %, sleep, etc....  Just log your workout and make a feel notes in the bottom blog area.  If you are on a REST DAY, put that in for everyone to know.  If you are going away for a weekend, tell us that too so we known why you aren't logging anything.

Make sure you put me and the others in the group in you log so that we can inspire each other.  Hopefully we can get one more person and have a nice group of 5 newbies and me.

2006-12-19 3:01 PM

User image

Regular
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Hi Jeff,

Still accepting? I want to join this group.

UserName: hlsantiago

STORY

I'm a 34 yr old male from Puerto Rico, happily married for 3 yrs to a very supporting wife, no kids, 2 dogs. My wife and I moved from Miami to Puerto Rico after we got married. I'm a sports agent/manager. I'm around athletes every day. I used to be a very active person worked out 6 times a week always in shape but after a battle with depression when my former employer shut down the Miami office 2003(I used to be a Training Manager for a Telecom Software company). I stopped training and thinking about money and I really struggled. So I decided to eat away and I went from a slim 142 lbs in 2003 to a whopping 200 lbs by Sept 2006. You'll say that's nothing but when you are 5'5" its a big deal.

This past September 23rd, 2006 after my sister's wedding a friend showed me old pictures of myself I was like..man I have to get off my butt. And I decided to train again after almost 4 yrs of doing nothing. That following Monday I started running just to loose weight.

During this whole process I was moving and I found a book that I bought when I lived in Maimi. The Classic SWIM BIKE RUN. I always wanted to participate in triathlons. So I got the bug.

I currently represent a high profile athlete from Puerto Rico, who has a strength & conditioning coach, nutritionist and cardio training coach. So I took advantage of all their knowledge and decided to become their guinea pig. I bought some books but the one I read mostly is Joe Friel's Triathlon Training bible.

Its December 19th today I'm 165 lbs. I just completed a VO2max test and Although the results were not those of an elite athlete. I think hitting almost 50 ml/kg is pretty good for 3 months of work and my age. I'm also on a great diet. Lots of organic foods, good supplements and eat at least 5 times a day.

RHR-46 bpm
MHR- 195 (Although I've seen the darn HRM hit 206 on interval training)

My training consists of (2 workouts per day)

Running- 3 times a week (I use POSE method of Running... its hard but it works)
Bike 3 times a week
Swim 3 times a week
plus just started with strength training

I'm using my mountain bike for now. But I'm building my bike. So far its sick. It should be complete by next month.

So please.. I want to be in this group... I want to pick your brain too.
2006-12-19 3:15 PM

User image

Regular
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Oh One more thing,

My goals for 2007:

World's Best 10K Puerto Rico (duathlon)- February 26th http://www.worldbest10k.com/new/

el Gran Trialo Joyuda Puerto Rico- March 18th- Olympish

St. Croix 1/2 ironman May 6th

2006-12-19 4:20 PM
in reply to: #628293

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: parrj's Group - FULL

Hector,

Great to have you aboard.  So you've been running for about 3 months, doing some Mountain biking (MTB), and swimming?  Sounds like you have made a great plan for yourself.  Seems like everyone in my group wants to do a half ironman (HIM) this year.  Have you looked at a training plan for HIM's, they are a lot of training.  Your VO2 is what it is.  Don't expect that to change much with training.  Its the engine you get from your parents.  If we could improve our VO2, we would both be professional athletes.    If you want a important measurement, see if you can get a lactate thershold (LT) test.  That will help you with training.

If you have any questions, please ask away and pick my brain.   Question for you, how come I can't see a training log for you?

Edited by parrj 2006-12-19 4:26 PM
2006-12-19 6:31 PM

User image

Regular
Caguas, Puerto Rico
I have it set to private... But I will change that. I had everything on a log book and now I'm slowly putting stuff in it.

The training I have logged on the training plan is incomplete... I just added the 1/2 HM training plan today.
2006-12-19 6:47 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

So we have our group of 5.  We have a nice distribution across the US and 2 international members.  We can all motivate each other and make sure we stay on top of our game.  What we need is 2 things.
1. you need to log your workouts!!!!
2. you need to write a little bit on what you want to achieve by the end of March.  This will help us to continuely motivate each other.

Here is who we got:

parrj    Jeff  Gainesville, FL

piperfl    Jamie  Boca Raton, FL

rede2train    Carl  Upstate, NY

buschy     Ed  Bend, OR

wiltech     William  London, England

hlsantiago     Hector  Puerto Rico

2006-12-19 6:50 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Here are my goals to reach by the end of March...

1. I'm doing my first marathon (mary) in Feb, so complete that (hopefully in 4hrs or less).
2. Get my weight down back under 190lbs.
3. Continue to swim on a regular basis (at least twice a week).

4. Stay on top of my school work so I'm not killed with work the last 2 weeks of the semester.

You will also notice that in a lot of my writtings, I will put the common short-hand that we use in tri's and racing and especially here on BT in ().

2006-12-19 7:26 PM

User image

Regular
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Goal's by March.

Come down to 140 to 145 lbs race weight.

Bring my run time to 7:30 to 8:00 minute mile sustained for at least 5 miles

Finish building my tri bike

Finish the Feb 25th Duathlon

Finish the Joyuda Triathlon March 18

Most of all STAY HEALTHY!!!

And of course Play Golf :-)

2006-12-19 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Ok..so my goals:

1. Do my first sprint tri on April 15th.
2. Do at least 1-2 5k's befroe hand to get my runnig tme down
3. Get down to 145 lbs by Feb.
4. Bike at least 2 times a week outside
5. Find a partner to do an open water swim a few times ot get used ot it
6. remember to eat all my meals in a day!
7. Enjoy my vacation in 2 weeks

8. Go scuba diving once a month

2006-12-19 10:18 PM

My goals by the end of March:

1. Get my run down to 9:00 min per mile for the 4 mile route I run. Should let you know that my route is extremely hilly. On bad days seems all 4 miles is up hill. On the flats I'm below there already.

2. Get my biking to at least 100 miles per week.

3. Get into the pool and re-learn how to swim and become comfortable with my stroke.

4. Be well on my way back to having the upper body strength I did in younger days.

Shot term I need to establish a training program. Currently I am biking and running about a combined 50 miles a week. I am doing a core work out that I saw on here 3 times a week. After the first of the year I'm going to start to integrate the pool and a lifting regiment yet to be determined. I tried to start logging my work outs and made a mess. Don't have red wine after a long run in 30 degree weather. Thats another issue though.

Carl
2006-12-19 11:20 PM

User image

Regular
Bend, Or
Goals for March....

1.) Comfortably complete an 8K XC Ski Route.
2.) Work up to running 6 miles at a sub-9:00/mile pace.
3.) Develop a consistent Twice-a-week weight training program (using the friggin' bowflex dumbells I bought months ago).
4.) Develop a kick in swimming that will actually propel me forward (right now it does not).
5.) Drop to 165 lbs.
2006-12-19 11:27 PM
in reply to: #627673

User image

Regular
Bend, Or
parrj - 2006-12-19 8:21 AM

- When is your wife expecting?

We're expecting in the end of June.

- Is your family pretty supportive of your training?

Very supportive. Also, I get most of my training done in the middle of the day as part of my lunch hour(s). It's good to be the boss.

- Doing a HIM seems like there is a big time commitment, you sure thats something you want with
the new addition coming soon.

Absolutely. My expanding family is part of my motivation. I need to get healthy and active so I can be there to provide for them for a long time. If scheduling works out that I have to miss the actual race because of the birth of my child, I'll be fine with it. The journey is as important as the destination.

Edited by buschy 2006-12-19 11:29 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » parrj's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 7