Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-01-03 3:15 PM
in reply to: #640709

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: marmadaddy's Group - FULL

FishrCutB8 - 2007-01-03 1:31 PM Ummmmmm...out of fear, loathing and curiosity. What's your baseball team? Signed, Phillies and Red Sawks fan

Mets! And whoever is playing the Yankees!! , unless they are playing in the Sawks, in which case I wouldn't be too upset to see a meteor hit the field, as long as no fans, vendors, or grounds crew are hurt. 

2007-01-03 3:33 PM
in reply to: #641060

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Shakes fist, screaming, "Damn you!"

:D
2007-01-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: #625417

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Pats fans don't get upset. We don't get hot under the collar. We don't throw down. We just quietly go about our business and do what needs to be done.

This is a good time for a check in. How's everyone feeling? Good? Sore? Irritable? Tired? Energized? What's up?

2007-01-03 6:07 PM
in reply to: #641108

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

marmadaddy - 2007-01-03 4:41 PM This is a good time for a check in. How's everyone feeling? Good? Sore? Irritable? Tired? Energized? What's up?

Impatient I want to start competing, but do realize that the more I prepare, the better I will perform.

Nervous  What if I suck at this? Also, how will treadmill running affect me once I run on streets/pavement?

Pissed Not dropping weight as quickly as hoped/planned.  Clothes  definitely fit better and people asking me how much weight I lost, but weight is same.

Overall I feel pretty good about myself and my training.  Like I blogged earlier, I actually got out of a nice warm bed 1 hour earlier than I needed to just to get my trainer time in.

One question for Mike or group: Majority of bike time is on trainer, any experience with how much slower actual road biking is then trainer? (I realize environmental factors play a role, but just any experiences).  I've only had 1 outdoor ride so far.  Thanks!

2007-01-03 6:31 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Falling behind due to knee probs. I think it is the cleats on my new clipless pedals. I have moved them a little and will see if they still hurt my knees. The LBS said I should adjust them to match the way I naturally stand....I will give it a shot.
2007-01-04 2:45 AM
in reply to: #641363

User image

Champion
saling4 - 2007-01-03 7:31 PM

Falling behind due to knee probs. I think it is the cleats on my new clipless pedals. I have moved them a little and will see if they still hurt my knees. The LBS said I should adjust them to match the way I naturally stand....I will give it a shot.

Might be a good idea to go into the LBS and have them look at it.

2007-01-04 8:18 AM
in reply to: #641673

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

FishrCutB8 - 2007-01-04 3:45 AM
saling4 - 2007-01-03 7:31 PM Falling behind due to knee probs. I think it is the cleats on my new clipless pedals. I have moved them a little and will see if they still hurt my knees. The LBS said I should adjust them to match the way I naturally stand....I will give it a shot.
Might be a good idea to go into the LBS and have them look at it.

Seconded. If you have the resources ($), a bike fitting is in order. If you bought the bike there recently, this should be gratis.

2007-01-04 10:09 AM

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
feel pretty good. no more knee pain, in fact was gone in about 24hrs. just got home from work. today my daughter runs a 5k for "GIRLS ON THE RUN" . she ussually asks me to run a few laps with her, we'll see.
2007-01-04 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

Mike:

Question about Plan times.

Some days my plan tells me to run 14 minutes and everything I used to hear tells me that 20 min should be minimum exercise...I guess I just need some re-assurance that 14 minutes is okay for swim/run times. 

Thanks.

2007-01-04 2:27 PM
in reply to: #642386

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
1st Timer in NY - 2007-01-04 2:39 PM

Mike:

Question about Plan times.

Some days my plan tells me to run 14 minutes and everything I used to hear tells me that 20 min should be minimum exercise...I guess I just need some re-assurance that 14 minutes is okay for swim/run times.

Thanks.

The hosts on Good Morning Poughkeepsie and other similar media outlets like to have incredibly general, unprovable health statistics to throw around. It gives them something authoritative sounding to say about a subject that gets peoples attention, but it also allows them to avoid responsibility for the advice. How to do this? Repeat what "they" say. Who are "they"? No idea, no one will own up to being a card carrying member. And with good reason.

The 20 minute minimum is promoted by "they". "They" also advocate drinking 8 glasses of water a day and not swimming for 30 minutes after you eat.

If you're looking to get the absolute minimum amount of exercise in you possibly can and still tell yourself that you "work out" then 20 minutes 3 times a week is supposedly the threshold.

However, if you want to train for a sprint triathlon and you're coming off the couch, then following a training plan based on the principles of periodization in exercise is a good idea. This will have varying lengths of workouts. Some will be longer, some will be shorter, but each with a distinct purpose. Longer workouts are frequently for building endurance. Shorter ones can be for recovery/speed/strength/endurance or even mental training. They may be shorter than 20 minutes, but that doesn't mean it's without purpose or value, as long as you're doing the other workouts as well.

2007-01-04 3:32 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
This is one of the reasons that I suggested this mentor program ( I know probably not my idea but I did suggest it). There are SO MANY ideas or plans that you can follow that I personally get confused as heck. I just want something to follow until I know enough to change it for me. My personal favorite is the electric thing that you can attach to your body and get a muscleman build just by watching tv.

Brian

2007-01-04 5:21 PM
in reply to: #642463

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

Who are "they"? No idea, no one will own up to being a card carrying member. And with good reason.

There's an old Far Side cartoon that says Bernie Horowitz is the "They"..so whenever someone questions who we heard facts from, we always say "Bernie Horowitz"

Thanks for the spanking...I'm becoming better at taking direction, but sometimes I just feel so good and want to keep going and I get impatient with the weight loss (or lack of)...yadda yadda yadda...

2007-01-05 12:35 PM

Hello Team - Happy New Year Smile

Apologies for radio silence - I'm back and raring to go as I nervously look ahead to my first triathlon.

Been reading your posts with great interest although have to say that have no idea abou the JETS/Pats/Orange Socks or anything like that - happy to talk football (soccer) all day long though!

My problem is also getting swamped with all the info out there. I sort of started out following the winter maintenance plan but that soon lapsed and I ended up just training without any specific plan which I know isn't really the way forward. Also think it meant that I didn't do as much base work as I would have liked as fell into the trap of feeling like I should run for 40-60 minutes at a time (which never happened) rather than just getting out there and doing lots of smaller runs.

So now my most important lesson from last year is to PLAN PLAN PLAN. Therefore I have decided that I will sit down this weekend and put together a proper comprehensive plan - if I don't do it now then I'll never get organised. Think I'll use 3 resources to build my training plan:

- Joe Friel Triathletes training bible

- One of BT training plans (either 20 week Olympic Balanced or Intermediate Olympic 26 week program - may include some base building put on the beginning)

- Few thoughts and suggestions from people on this site (and I'm hoping that you won't mind if I post my plan on here for you guys to give any thoughts and comments).

Also I did buy myself a very nice HRM (all singing and dancing) monitor before Christmas so would like to learn how to use that properly and how to put it to use in my training program otherwise that would have been a complete waste of money.

Another thing I would like to do early this year is to buy myself a new bike - hopefully will get a small bonus from work so that's what I'm putting it towards. I did actually have a bike fitting just before Christmas as was told this was very important. However now it's left me a little confused as the bike store I went to is rather expensive as they tend to sell only high end range bikes which are all custom built for customers so I seem to have a choice now - get one which recommended by bike shop which should be a perfect fit for me but aluminium frame and slightly heavier parts or use the measurements and go to another bike store and get an off the shelf bike from one of the main manufacturers which is one of their top bikes.

So many questions, so many answers - well I guess that's why we're all here with Captain Mike to guide us through the maze

Have a great weekend everyone

2007-01-07 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

Hey Hannahs-

Welcome Back!!!  I love watching EPL Football!! (Soccer). Not really partial to any team, would rather see a well played match, but I do favor Arsenal..just like the way it sounds and the Frenchman.(Henry?) They still haven't figured out how to make it work over here.

Just checking in with everyone else...Spring events are coming quickly!!!

2007-01-07 7:19 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

Was wondering about the following... I'm planning to start the 3x balanced spring program, the week of 1/29.  My first race is 5/20.  I think, that by the 29th, I'll probably have a 55 minute bike base, 25 minute run, 1200 yard swim.

Those bases are higher than the assumed bases for the plan (1000-40-20).  Should I up the minutes that I do, or just stick to the plan?  I made this whole Excel spreadsheet that plans things out for me, and if I start with the bases that I think I'll have, I'll end up doing quite a bit more than the plan calls for.  I attached the spreadsheet if any of you want to look at it.  It's pretty cool, you enter your bases, speed, weekly increases, tapers, and it shows you the whole plan.

But I'd like to do an international distance in September, so maybe this is a good thing.

Tim

P.S. If any of you have Excel, play around with this.  It's fun, it even tells you how many extra pieces of Pan Pizza, or Snickers, you can eat with all the calories you burn training. 

P.P.S.  The brick colored things in the plan in my Excel thingy are... you guessed it, the brick workouts I plan to do. 

Attachments
----------------
sprintPlan.xls (40KB - 59 downloads)
2007-01-08 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
I'm feeling overwhelmed. Maybe if I lay it out, you guys can give me some ideas to get it all organized.

I don't have a bike right now, but will be getting one in the next month or so. I don't have a pool membership, but just found out I can get a HUGE deal on a pool next door to work, so I'll be doing that in the next week or so. I'll be able to run and swim, which is fine because my bike is my strongest event, anyway.

Races--I've done two sprints. I will be doing a sprint on May 26th, am looking at another for June, and then jumping up to Oly or possibly HIM (this might be a stretch, but I'm keeping it open) by end of summer/fall. I've done 60+ miles on the bike, 6 miles or more on the run. Swimming and running would be my limiting factors.

I need a program to get started, because right now I just feel like I'm foundering without direction. Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, encouragements, direction?

2007-01-08 2:34 PM

Tim - I had a look at your spreadsheet - took a while to figure out but it's very well set up.

Of course I know nothing but my thoughts would be this - if you are only going to be doing a sprint then you probably don't need to be building up such high distances. Why don't you shorted some of them and try and vary what you do within different sessions - such as speed work, endurance - I've just read a really good article in my magazine which takes you through writing the 'Ultimate training plan' - I will try and get it scanned tomorrow and put it on this thread. What it does well is tell you how to plan your time but also how to vary your exercises so that you build on 6 key abilities - Endurance, force, speed, muscular endurance, anaerobic endurance and power.

It has suggested workouts in each discipline and I think it provides a great overall idea. I suppose the idea is to take something like you have planned and then on a fortnightly basis plan more specifically what each session will involve.

The one think that all coaches seem to agree on is quality of training and not quantity.

2007-01-08 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Which magazine is it?
2007-01-08 2:48 PM

Hey Fishr

Know how you feel - why don't y ou take a look at the intermediate sprint program (12 weeks or 26 weeks)- either add some extra base work to the first or shorten the second to fit in with your planned races. Or you could use Tim's and try and earn an extra Big Mac or 2!

Seems to be about the right starting point as starts with 15m running (you seem to have been averaging about 20m per run recently) and builds to 1h 30m. Also swimming will be fine once you join the pool and then biking might be a bit easy for you but you could increase the volume.

There are lots of programs for sprints that would work for you - you actually have about 19 weeks until your race so may be better to do the longer one. Alternatively you could choose to focus on your run or swim and do the 20 week focus program.

How many hours a week do you have for training - that will determine which program will suit you best.

After that you could switch to the Sprint to Olympic Brige program (12 weeks again) which is a HRM based plan. This should allow you to complete your Olympic Target race at the end of the summer.

Just a thought - perhaps I should start practicing what I'm preaching Laughing

Have a great evening everyone (I'm off home to bed now - it's been a long day!)

2007-01-08 2:50 PM

Its 220 Triathlon.com - I think it might be a UK magazine (and it's from November issue) which is why I'm going to try and scan it to put on here.

It also uses a training plan template you can download from www.trainingbible.com website - look under free resources.

2007-01-08 3:04 PM
in reply to: #646574

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

thanks hannah... will be curious to see the article.  If I wasn't planning (I think I'm planning) to do an olympic in the fall, I'd defintely cut back the distances.  I think I need to decide what my A race is.  If it's either of the sprints I plan to do in May/June, then I'll probably cut back.  If it's the olympic distance in September, then I still might cut back, just not as sure.

Triathlon is so interesting.   

2007-01-08 3:31 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Welcome back Hannah, hope the vacation was a good one.

It sounds like you guys don't need me, you're doing fine amongst yourselves!

2007-01-08 5:17 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Triathalon is easy....Its getting there that is hard (Like I would know,,,lol).

Training question: With what I feel is miniscule training are rest days that important? The way I have set up is Friday and Monday Rest days, BUT I only ran 6 miles and rode 16 miles this weekend. Does that constitute a rest day? I don't feel like I need one, but then rest even at my beginnings are important, right?

Brian
2007-01-08 5:59 PM

User image

New user

Eagle River, AK
Well, I was on vacation for about 2 weeks then got back and had a bunch of friends out for a week so I was entertaining them and skiing so I haven't had a chance to get back to working out, but tomorrow get back on schedule. I have been missing working out. Gotta catch up on everyone in the group too.
2007-01-08 8:33 PM
in reply to: #646926

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

saling4 - 2007-01-08 6:17 PM Triathalon is easy....Its getting there that is hard (Like I would know,,,lol). Training question: With what I feel is miniscule training are rest days that important? The way I have set up is Friday and Monday Rest days, BUT I only ran 6 miles and rode 16 miles this weekend. Does that constitute a rest day? I don't feel like I need one, but then rest even at my beginnings are important, right? Brian

Maybe take just one rest day a week instead of 2, if I understood your post correctly.  I think also that rest days are important, even not doing what you perceive to be a miniscule training... if only for the precedent it sets for the future.  It's a good habit to be in.  My $.02. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » marmadaddy's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4