BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PTinVA's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-12-27 12:50 PM
in reply to: #625421

New user

Subject: RE: PTinVA's Group - FULL
Hope everyone is having a great holiday. I think I am going to make it without completely falling off the wagon!

2006-12-27 2:01 PM
in reply to: #634122

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
tnlonghorn - 2006-12-27 12:50 PMHope everyone is having a great holiday. I think I am going to make it without completely falling off the wagon!
Good work!
2006-12-30 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

Hi Sue!

I have a question for you.

I am recently having problems with my left leg TFL; it's feels really tight and I do not believe it is from running, I actually feel the thightness after I'm done biking. TFL/ITB and hip extensors stretches help but the benefits only last for a while. I also hear this clicking sound at the left hip level from time to time. I wonder if seeing a chiropractor for this would do me any good... Are there other stretches I can perform to reduce the tightness?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all!

Nathalie

Edited by Nats 2006-12-30 2:23 PM
2006-12-30 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Nathalie, you definitely can be getting some ITB tightness from biking. I would try some icing and more stretching ( 4 to 6 times per day) and see if that works. Don't give up on the stretching too soon..
2007-01-02 6:54 AM

New user

Subject: RE: PTinVA's Group - Question
Hey Guys:

I normally play soccer once a week pretty much year round. I've been able to do it and still train for marathons. Assuming I have the time, is it OK to continue playing? Indoor season starts in a month so deadline to enter is looming.

Thoughts?

Edited by tnlonghorn 2007-01-02 6:55 AM
2007-01-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: #638842

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: PTinVA's Group - Question

tnlonghorn - 2007-01-02 6:54 AM Hey Guys: I normally play soccer once a week pretty much year round. I've been able to do it and still train for marathons. Assuming I have the time, is it OK to continue playing? Indoor season starts in a month so deadline to enter is looming. Thoughts?

I think you should keep up with your soccer. It's great cross training and it's an activity that you enjoy; no reason you can't work in your other workouts around soccer.

2007-01-02 5:55 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
I hope everyone had a great holiday and a Happy New Year! I also hope everyone is ready to get serious about training. Let's post some short term goals here, long term too if you like, so we can help each other stay motivated and on track. I'll start. This month I am going to try very hard to stick to my training program. Last month was my first month working with a coach and I had some trouble adjusting to working with his schedule as opposed to my own. His plan is very solid and I need to trust that. In the short term for races, I will have a half marathon in early February (trying to finish <2:15); no triathlons until probably May. My long term goals for the year include a HIM in the fall (race yet to be determined) and a sub 5 hour finish at a fall marathon; probably in Las Vegas. During the winter I really want to improve my fitness on the bike.
2007-01-02 7:20 PM
in reply to: #639918

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

Awesome goal you got there Sue!

My race goals for 2007 are two A races, the first one being a sprint on May 26 and the second one will be an oly distance on August 11. I am also planning two or three B (practice) races in between and two C (for fun) events after the oly tri; I hope to be ready to run a half marathon in October. I have no time goal in mind for any of these events at this time, I will be happy crossing the finish line!

As far as training goals go... run more, better and faster! Achieving Sub 9 min/mile would be awesome! I think I'm doing pretty well with my swims but I need to be more efficient on the bike (more drills and hills). I should not forget weights, core work, stretching and of course icing when needed!

I signed up with my local triathlon club but I feel somewhat intimidated in showing up for a run at this time... They usually have a newbies night at the beginning of the year; I will show up then to get acquainted with everyone. I'm especially looking forward to the group OWS, they are scheduled three times a week starting in May.

Nathalie

2007-01-02 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
My goals center mostly around the first 5 months of the year. At the end of May I am taking the kids to visit family & friends in Europe for 6 weeks, so I doubt I will be training at all at that time. Also, in AZ, there are no tris in the Phoenix area in the middle of summer as it's way too hot. So, my goals are to do several (3 at least) sprints in the winter/spring then hopefully an International distance in late April. My main goal is to become a better swimmer and more comfortable in the water. I am planning on taking a couple of lessons to work on my technique. I will need to overcome my issues with the water if I am to do an OWS in April. I also want to do my best to stay injury free. After August, I will re-evaluate my goals for the rest of the year.
Thanks for sharing your goals Sue. Good luck with the tri group Nathalie. I think it would be so much fun to train with a group. It will be great to hear what everyone's goals are.
My first race of the year will be on 1/21, it's a 10k and I have no idea what to expect. I'm kind of just doing it for fun.
2007-01-02 10:10 PM

New user

My primary goal is to stay injury free. 2006 was full of injuries from me. The worst injury was the last one -- I was completely down from August until the end of November with a pelvic injury that I got playing soccer. So, I have a lot of reconditioning to do and a few pounds to drop. I am not really worried about the weight so much as I am about the muscle conditioning. The weight will come off, but it will take awhile to to lower my body fat and increase muscle mass again. All of my friends are triathletes and they stay injury free so I am hoping to do the same.

My second goal is become comfortable in the water. I dont have good breathing technique --or should I say any technique at all? I can swim the entire length of the pool without breathing, but ask me to breathe while swimming and then we have a problem! So, i am taking swim lessons starting next week, and if that progresses, I think the tris will come along fine.
2007-01-03 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA

My primary goal for this year is to better my times at 3-4 Sprints this summer.  I hope that I can work my way to an Oly distance towards the end of summer.  Would love to get better times running and build distance this winter/spring.  Sure would love to be comfortable breaking 10/miles.  Running is awful for me! 

Really need to work with weights alot more. That's one of the winter goals for me.  The biggest is JUST STAYING AT IT during the winter.  Don't like the cold and I'm a wimp.

2007-01-04 5:48 PM

New user

Subject: RE: Coaching Question
Hey Sue:

How did you choose the coach you are using right now? Is it online coaching? Do you like it? Are you seeing results?

Lots of questions -- thinking about signing up for online coaching so that I'm not a danger to myself or anyone else!
2007-01-04 11:51 PM

User image

New user

Hey Everyone,
Sorry I've been so slow in getting involved with yall. Tracye, I'm also taking swim technique lessons, starting this Sat. I feel you on the breathing issue...it's hard for me to coordinate too. I've noticed I lack swiming endurance, but I wonder if it's just the breathing coordination and not so much my strokes. I'll update yall on my progress.
I just started a winter Anatomy & Physiology class this week so in readjusting to school life again I haven't gotten into my run/bike/swim routine yet. But tommorrow I run and Sat I swim and of course Yoga.

I've been searching for a Tri with indoor swimming but haven't found one in the Maryland,PA, VA area. Anyone know of any??
LOVE and PEACE!
2007-01-05 12:05 AM
in reply to: #643004

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

Lea4health - 2007-01-05 12:51 AM Hey Everyone, Sorry I've been so slow in getting involved with yall. Tracye, I'm also taking swim technique lessons, starting this Sat. I feel you on the breathing issue...it's hard for me to coordinate too. I've noticed I lack swiming endurance, but I wonder if it's just the breathing coordination and not so much my strokes. I'll update yall on my progress. I just started a winter Anatomy & Physiology class this week so in readjusting to school life again I haven't gotten into my run/bike/swim routine yet. But tommorrow I run and Sat I swim and of course Yoga. I've been searching for a Tri with indoor swimming but haven't found one in the Maryland,PA, VA area. Anyone know of any?? LOVE and PEACE!

Hi Lea! Congrats on the swimming lessons AND on the Anatomy-Phys class, great initiatives! All the best with your endeavors!

As far as facilities go... I don't live anywhere near these three states but have you considered the local YMCA, if any in your area? Mine has a race track and a 25 yard pool (meter in my case).

2007-01-05 7:50 AM
in reply to: #643004

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA

Good on ya for getting into school.  Anat and Phys is ALOT of memorization and feel for you.  I took it a LONG time ago for my Respiratory degree.  But I loved the class.

As for a Tri with indoor swim  here are two

Sunday, April 15, 2007 ::: Lynchburg, Virginia: Angels Race Sprint Triathlon

Pool Swim 300 meters, Bike 15.5 miles, Run 3.1 miles Location: Downtown YMCA, Lynchburg, VA 2005 - 2006 Results At: set-upinc.com

Sunday, April 29, 2007 ::: Hampden Sydney, Virginia: Hometown Realty's "TRI On the Hill" Sprint Triathlon Swim 300 meters, Bike 12.4 miles, Run 3.6 miles Location: Hampden-Sydney College Fitness Center email: [email protected] Register On Line At: Active.com Course Info: 300m S/ 20km B/ 3.6mile run (2.5mile of which is trail)
  • Swim: Harold G. Leggett Pool – snake swim (up and down the lane then cross ropes to the next lane and repeat.) – 6 laps from left to right.
  • Bike: From the Kirby Fieldhouse to the College gates then left to 133, right onto 133 to Abilene Road, left onto Abilene, cross Rt. 15 down Worsham Road, left onto Old Ridge Road, Left onto Zion Hill (near PECHS), cross Rt. 15 to Commerce Drive, left onto Germantown Road, Left onto Back Hampden-Sydney Road, Left onto Five Forks Road, Right on College Road, Left at Church, Left on Athletic Drive.
  • Run: From the Kirby Fieldhouse around the outer loop of the Wilson Trail, down College Road, cut behind the Gammon Gymnasium,back downhill to the Kirby Fieldhouse
  • I may try one of these and I'm gonna do the tri in Cumberland MD June 9 or 10th but its a lake swim

2007-01-05 1:55 PM
    in reply to: #642752

User image

Master
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Subject: RE: Coaching Question
    tnlonghorn - 2007-01-04 5:48 PM Hey Sue: How did you choose the coach you are using right now? Is it online coaching? Do you like it? Are you seeing results? Lots of questions -- thinking about signing up for online coaching so that I'm not a danger to myself or anyone else!

I'm using a coach named Will with a company called Tri-Hard. We mostly communicate via email; I get my training plans once a month. I met him in person at a race in RI this fall and had a chance to talk to him; we followed that up with another phone conversation and I decided to give him a try. Two of my other BT buddies use him as a coach. One is local to him in MA; the other is in FL. I'll be glad to give you some more info if you're intersted.

2007-01-05 1:59 PM
    in reply to: #643091

User image

Master
    Virginia Beach, VA
    sk2a2005 - 2007-01-05 7:50 AM

Good on ya for getting into school.  Anat and Phys is ALOT of memorization and feel for you.  I took it a LONG time ago for my Respiratory degree.  But I loved the class.

As for a Tri with indoor swim  here are two

Sunday, April 15, 2007 ::: Lynchburg, Virginia: Angels Race Sprint Triathlon

Pool Swim 300 meters, Bike 15.5 miles, Run 3.1 miles Location: Downtown YMCA, Lynchburg, VA 2005 - 2006 Results At: set-upinc.com

Sunday, April 29, 2007 ::: Hampden Sydney, Virginia: Hometown Realty's "TRI On the Hill" Sprint Triathlon Swim 300 meters, Bike 12.4 miles, Run 3.6 miles Location: Hampden-Sydney College Fitness Center email: [email protected] Register On Line At: Active.com Course Info: 300m S/ 20km B/ 3.6mile run (2.5mile of which is trail)
  • Swim: Harold G. Leggett Pool – snake swim (up and down the lane then cross ropes to the next lane and repeat.) – 6 laps from left to right.
  • Bike: From the Kirby Fieldhouse to the College gates then left to 133, right onto 133 to Abilene Road, left onto Abilene, cross Rt. 15 down Worsham Road, left onto Old Ridge Road, Left onto Zion Hill (near PECHS), cross Rt. 15 to Commerce Drive, left onto Germantown Road, Left onto Back Hampden-Sydney Road, Left onto Five Forks Road, Right on College Road, Left at Church, Left on Athletic Drive.
  • Run: From the Kirby Fieldhouse around the outer loop of the Wilson Trail, down College Road, cut behind the Gammon Gymnasium,back downhill to the Kirby Fieldhouse
  • I may try one of these and I'm gonna do the tri in Cumberland MD June 9 or 10th but its a lake swim

I'm pretty sure Richmond has a few pool tri's also. I think one in May, July and Oct. The website is Richmond Multisports. I'll try to post more specifics later when I have more time. It'd be fun if a few of us "locals" could meet at a race.

2007-01-05 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
    Williamsburg, VA

You can also try the Virigia Triathlon calendar  @ www.trifind.com/va.html once there you can search all the states.

Did the Richmond Tri in Oct  and hope to do it again this year and better my times. Esp the swim. I got freaked out and had a hard time getting into the flow.

2007-01-05 11:43 PM

User image

New user

Thank you all for the leads on indoor swim Tri's. I'm gonna check them out after I finish studying...
  • ..and Yeah!, it would be cool if we could meet at one of the races...I'll let yall know which ones I can sign up for. I was actually even thinking about doing 2 Sprint Tri's this year. Would yall recommend that even though this is my first year doing a Tri?
  • LOVE and PEACE!
    Leanora
    2007-01-06 5:25 PM
    in reply to: #644480

User image

Master
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Lea4health - 2007-01-05 11:43 PM Thank you all for the leads on indoor swim Tri's. I'm gonna check them out after I finish studying... ...and Yeah!, it would be cool if we could meet at one of the races...I'll let yall know which ones I can sign up for. I was actually even thinking about doing 2 Sprint Tri's this year. Would yall recommend that even though this is my first year doing a Tri? LOVE and PEACE! Leanora

I think 2 sprint tis is a great goal. The first one is such a learning experience. You might even sign up for a local 5K to help keep you motivated for training.

2007-01-11 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
    Williamsburg, VA

Sue got a question to ask:

What kind of training plan should I use this spring to be able to do 3-4 sprints?  Should I just stick to the sprint programs here and just keep doing the heavy weeks most of the summer?  And how many races is to many?  Would 1/month be OK?

2007-01-11 4:21 PM
    in reply to: #651319

User image

Master
    Virginia Beach, VA
    sk2a2005 - 2007-01-11 4:13 PM

Sue got a question to ask:

What kind of training plan should I use this spring to be able to do 3-4 sprints?  Should I just stick to the sprint programs here and just keep doing the heavy weeks most of the summer?  And how many races is to many?  Would 1/month be OK?

Good questions.

If you know the date of your first race; you can pick on of the beginner sprint plans and then you can go backwards from that date, depending on the length of the plan to set your start date. I would recommend a balanced plan, each discipline 3x/week; unless you feel that you have a real weakness and want to use one of the plans that has a run/bike or swim focus. Up until the start of your specific plan, I would just try to get some consistency and volume with your workouts; it can be hard juggling a schedule to get 9 workouts a week in.

I think a sprint every 4 to 6 weeks is probably a pretty good goal. Once you get in the training mode for the first one, it's easier to keep your fitness through your other races. Just make sure you plan taper and recovery weeks between races.

2007-01-11 5:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Richmond Hill, Ontario

Hello everyone! I see that you are all doing well with your training, keep it up!

Sue, I have a question regarding leg length difference and cycling.

I do believe the IT band syndrome I refered to a couple of weeks ago is definitely a consequence of LLD. It's not painful when I run because I wear orthotics but what about cycling? I have to outstretch my left leg at the bottom of each pedal stroke. My orthotics are pretty much useless in my cycling shoes.

Any thoughts as to how this can be solved?

Thanks!

Nathalie

P.S. I will be gone for a week and won't have access to a computer where I will be staying; I will be in touch with all of you when I come back. Have a great week everyone!

Edited by Nats 2007-01-11 5:11 PM
    2007-01-11 8:23 PM
    in reply to: #651413

User image

Master
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Nats - 2007-01-11 5:10 PM

Hello everyone! I see that you are all doing well with your training, keep it up!

Sue, I have a question regarding leg length difference and cycling.

I do believe the IT band syndrome I refered to a couple of weeks ago is definitely a consequence of LLD. It's not painful when I run because I wear orthotics but what about cycling? I have to outstretch my left leg at the bottom of each pedal stroke. My orthotics are pretty much useless in my cycling shoes.

Any thoughts as to how this can be solved?

Thanks!

Nathalie

P.S. I will be gone for a week and won't have access to a computer where I will be staying; I will be in touch with all of you when I come back. Have a great week everyone!

That's a good question. Depending on the amount of leg length discrepency, you may be able to put a small insole in one bike shoe to take up some of the difference; or your local bike shop may be able to put some type of shim between your bike shoe and cleat (if you use clipless pedals), to take up the difference. Ask your local bike shop if they have any other ideas.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PTinVA's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 2