of 3

2006-12-15 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: cbost2678's Group - Full

UserName:
cbost2678 (Chris)

Story: I am a 28 year old that has been involved with sports my whole life. I played baseball and golf in college and ultimateley decided to stick with golf. After my undergrad I got married and then divorced during the time I gained 50 pounds and was totally out of shape. I have a extensive weighlifting background and was a lifeguard for nearly ten years. I finished my Masters in 04 and started to look at new ways to get back in shape. I did Taekwondo for a year and then ultimateley took up training for triathlons specifically last December. I have been intrigued with the ironman for many many years and finally took the step. During a google search I luckily found BT and it got me pointed in the right way. After two months I decided I was very serious and hired a coach in the local area and I am still with her today. I did 7 tris last summer and a half marathon. The olympic distance was my longest race. I am doing Ironman Arizona in April so as you can see I jumped into it full force.

Family: I have a wonderful girlfriend Krissy who is behind me 100% which is key during Ironman Training. She has a precious daughter Kloe who is one handfule. In my off time I enjoy building blocks and watchin sponge bob.

Training: I am currently training for Ironman Arizona. My weeks range anywhere from 8-20 hours a week of training. Typically I do one to two weight sessions, two swim sessions of around 3000+ yards a week. Two shorter runs during th week and my LSD run on Sunday. Two smaller bike workouts during the week one sometimes a Brick workout and my Long Rides are on Saturday. I also do yoga one day a week.

Weight: I am just really focusing on losing weight but most importantly developing a positive and healthy lifestyle.

Advice: Stick to it. The workouts become second nature as eating and going to sleep. Which brings up a second point Sleep and sleep and sleep. You need your rest. Also if you are about to do a workout and are very tired and feel like you are just going through the motions skip it. The rest will be more beneficial. And last but not least dont forget to enjoy your workouts. When you are on your long rides enjoy the scenery.

Edited by cbost2678 2006-12-20 5:55 PM

2006-12-19 12:27 PM
in reply to: #625425

User image

Subject: RE: cbost2678's Group - OPEN
Hey Chris:

I am just getting up the gumption to take on the triathlon challenge. I ran track/cross-country in college but I am now 35 and looking for another challenge. I have signed up for a half-ironman in Lubbock Texas for June and the U.K. Ironman at the end of August. Would love to have a mentor that can help me along. I am a horrible swimmer and only now getting a hold of cycling.

I live in Lexington, Virginia and coach a cross-country team at a small college out here.

Best Wishes,

Paul
2006-12-19 3:27 PM

User image

I'm Gary and I'd like to join your group.

I live in Clermont, FL and have completed two super sprints recently (1st in Sept and the other Oct). I am 45, still over 200 (but dropping), been training regularly since July and have registered for the Escape to Acatraz race in March (1k swin, 25 k bike, 5k run) here in Clermont. These are pretty long distances for a newbie like me but I will be ready! I appreciate any help you can give.

My goals with this sport is fun and longevity. Not sure if I'll ever do an HIM or IM distance but I feel healthier already and actually enjoy (a lot) the training. Having a mentor should be fun.
2006-12-19 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Gary and Paul I want to welcome you both to BT. I look forward mentoring you both and as well having you keep me going strong as well. Its amazing how awesome it is to having people inspire you and checking in on your training.  If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me. Again I lookforward to being part of your tri season!!
2006-12-19 11:18 PM

Hello Chris,

My name is Jason Polishak and I would like to join your group.

I am 30 years old and am very excited about getting into tri's. I have a very athletic background from youth all through college. I played soccer in college and at the semi-pro level. I am also a very avid surfer, and have travelled all over the world, riding some of the best waves. I have decided that I am going to set my sights on the Ironman. It was suggested to me by a friend of mine to be something I would be perfect for because of my work ethic and commitment. I have been researching, and have become thrilled with excitement to compete in at least a half ironman in the next 6-8 months. I know it will be hard work, but I am prepared. I need to learn from someone who knows the training, diet, and mental focus needed to endure this challenge. I hope you accept, and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Jason M. Polishak
2006-12-20 10:54 AM

User image

I have a question about procedure here. Should we PM all questions or add them to this thread so everyone in our group can read and particpate.

What say yea ole mentorius one?

2006-12-20 12:25 PM

User image

Memphis, Tn
Chris, if you have an opening for another, count me in. When I get a free minute later on this evening, I'll formally introduce myself to the rest of the group.
2006-12-20 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
I would also like to join the group if there is a spot. I do not have time to introduce myself now but will later on.
2006-12-20 4:25 PM

User image

Master
New York
I'd like to be the 5th, as it looks like our goals are pretty similar:

I turned 24 in September, and as you know will be joining you at IMAZ in a little less than 4 months. I got married in August, and my wife is not into triathlon at all, but accepts that I am (and will be excited after April 15).

Training: Right now I am usually between 10-15hrs/week, with 1 or 2 weight sessions, 4 swim sessions (3x 1500-2000m, one long day of 3000 or 3500), 3 runs (45 mins tempo, 50-1h15 moderate, 55-90 long), and 3 bike sessions (60, 75/90 and 2-3hrs) per week. I am using markallenonline.com, and right after the new year will be switching over to IM specific training, and the hours will probably go up to 13/14-20.

Goals: #1 A+ goal is to finish IMAZ. Other than that I would like to do a couple shorter local races, a few 5 & 10ks, maybe an Oly this summer and MCM in October.

And I live in Nashville.
2006-12-20 5:18 PM

Veteran
NoVa

I'd like to get in on this group also.   Let me know if there's still room, and I'll do the formal intro.   Thanks.

Ron. 

2006-12-20 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Wow looks like we have reached our group. We have a few more than five but that is great!!  First if everyone would fill out the same thing I did about personal information, training schedule, etc so the whole group can get to know each other. I would like to each of us to be involved not just myself and each of you. We will be able to assist in each others season and training. One of the most important thing as well will be logging your workouts so we can all watch our progress. I would prefer all questions to be posted here under our thread because we have several that have done races and I beleive wa can all learn from each other.  I am now gonna mark the group as full but everyone is now apart of the group. I look forward getting to share in yours as well as my upcoming season.

2006-12-20 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: cbost2678's Group - Full
Oh and another thing I highly suggest yo all add each other to your friends list that way it will be easy to jump back and forth to each others log page.
2006-12-20 8:01 PM

User image

Memphis, Tn

UserName:
Frank Amato (real name is the same)

Story: I am 38 years old. I am a Police Officer and currently work for the Memphis Police Department in the land of Elvis (yes, he is dead). This will be my second triathlon season. Long story made short...I started out at 237 pounds. I looked in the mirror one day and decided that I needed to do something with the fat slob in the mirror. I started to shed my weight, and made it down to 185 pounds. In August, I quit dipping snuff. My weight bounced up to 200 pounds, and I am currently trying to work it back off. This year is going to be a banner year for me. I will be participating in IM Louisville, in it's inaugural year. I hope to make it a yearly venture.

Family: I am a father of two. My daughter is 10. My son is 6 weeks old. I also have the greatest wife in the world. Before I signed up for the Ironman, I asked her if it would be alright to do the race. I explained to her about the long hours of training, and she didn't even bat an eye when she said to go for it.

Training: I am currently training for Ironman Louisville. Right now, my training weeks are not that involved. This is still my off season. In a few short weeks, everything is going to be wide open.

Weight: My goal is to get to 175 pounds for my A race in August.

Advice: Start slow and enjoy the training. This is a hobby for 99.99% of us on this board. If it becomes too much like work, it's time to find a new hobby. Besides, the view can be awesome at the back of the pack.Tongue out
2006-12-20 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
North Carolina

Username: BeCivil (Dennis)

Story: I am a 34 year old structural engineer. I have been competitive my whole life but mostly team sports. I was not a college level athlete but competed in baseball and football all through high school. My background became mostly weight training during and after college until I was talked into trying a triathlon. Well let's just say the first one did not go so well and being as competitive as I am I could not let it lie so I immediately started endurance training to get better. I have been endurance training now for 2.5 years. I am basically a back FOPer. Somewhere between age 32-34 it seems I developed high blood pressure (148/95);random check up caught it. I was shocked as was my physician. I am not overweight and train on a regular basis. The Dr. said I was just dealt a bad hand. So my 2006 fall was basically trying to find a drug I could tolerate!!! It's been a big ordeal. I had to change my fall schedule around just b/c of the drugs. Had trained hard for a marathon that never happened. I now have a drug that is at least bearable for now. I am using 2007 to not only become an Ironman at Coer d'Alene but to also find different methods to hopefully get off the meds.

Family: Currently single. I have two brothers.

Training: I am pretty consistant when it comes to training but definately do not go overboard!! I still like to have somewhat of a social life but enjoy being fit. Once I get into a training schedule I am usually hardcore and that's why I do not follow a schedule year round. Last year I started heart rate training and really enjoy using it but also like to go old school once in a while. I plan to get into hardcore training for my Ironman in late January!!

Weight: I was a needle in a hay stack through my sophomore year in college....weighing in at 128. I then started weight training and bulked up to 140 by the end of college. At my heaviest I weighed 165 but for the most part have always been fairly skinny around the 150 mark. I currently weigh in about 145. Other than the time I was 165 I have never been heavy b/c I have always been active.

Advice: Treat triathlons, running, biking, etc. like a hobby. Do not get so involved to a point where your life in totally controlled by them. You only live once so do all you can!! Train Hard, Train Smart!!

2006-12-20 9:27 PM

User image

Subject: Introducing Myself...
Name: Paul Wright

Background: Ran track and cross-country in college at Clemson University but that was a good while ago. Currently, coach cross-country at a small college in Virginia. Decided to start training for my first Ironman in 2007. Going to be doing U.K. Ironman in August and a half-ironamn in Lubbock Texas in June. Not as strong a swimmer as I would like, and only recently got into cycling. Pretty competitive type person and love a new challenge. A group of friends and I got together a month ago and just did a half-ironman cold on no training. My body hated me for days but got through it. Figured if I could finish the distance on no training perhaps I could do double the distance on a little training I am 35 years old and teach high school and college. A little worried about training time because of my chaotic schedule, so it will help to have a mentor group to keep encouraging me.

Training: Was competing as a road runner pretty seriously until June of 2005. I broke my knee-cap in a charity soccer match in Kenya and had to have a career-ending surgery. Doctors said I was done but I have slowly got back into shape. This Fall, I ran some of the cross-country workouts with the kids I coach and am back to about 60%. I also managed to get through a century bike ride in November. Right now I am only running 15-20 miles a week and 40-60 miles on the bike. I do plan on being a little more serious starting January 1st.

Weight: Weigh-in about 185 and I am 6 feet 2. In college I raced at 172 so I still feel I am running a little heavy.

Advice: Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Show those around you that anything is possible if you are willing to work hard enough for it.

Looking forward to getting to know the group.

All the best, Paul
2006-12-22 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
So I would like for us to come up with a team name. I know this is a mentoring page but I want all of us to be apart of each others training. So lets get some Ideas on a name  mine is" Iron Determination". This ould be perceived as determination for those of us this year who are doing an Ironman or also meaning we all have strong determination to succeed...so whats your suggestions??

2006-12-22 9:56 AM
in reply to: #631342

User image

Team I.D. definitely has a ring to it I am hoping to have a triathlon ID by the end of the year! Hope everyone is well and looking forward to a great Christmas. Off to face the Christmas Horde at the Mall. I think I'd rather do a 20 mile up-hill run wearing a weight belt than shop at the mall two days before Christmas. Oh well, here's to procrastination. Merry Christmas ALL!!!!
2006-12-22 9:26 PM

Veteran
NoVa
Story: I'm a 41 year old computer guy, doing government contract work in Northern Virginia.  I played basketball in high school, but no other organized sports.   During a 9 year stint in the Air Force, I played just about every intramural sport you can think of, but only volleyball "stuck".  I've played competitively since.  During my assignment to Hawaii (86-89), I spectated at a couple races and started riding and swimming a little, but never could get the nerve to try a race.  The idea was always there, though.  Fast forward to '04.  A friend (Brad, Weds19 on BT) got the bug from a college buddy to try tris.  I think it was something about checking Ironman off the life list, so they did at Wisconsin '05.  Inspired by them, I did a pool sprint in Oct 04 and four more sprints last year.  This year I trained with Brad occaisionally through the summer, but didn't do any tris.  I'm not a runner, but I did do two half-marathons the Marine Corps Marathon, and a couple 5k/10k races this fall.  I did poorly at MCM and may do it again next year to get some payback.  I also did my first century ride.   I made the trip up to IM Lake Placid this year to cheer on Brad and five other friends.  It's amazing the people we saw doing that race.  Obviously there were the studs, but there were many non-studs.  I can be one of them.

Family: Married to Gwen for almost 14 years.  She's not into sports at all, but supports me by letting me indulge in this stuff.  I have a 19 year old son from a previous marraige who's a sophomore at James Madison University here in VA.  He's a basketball guy.  We both ran our first 5k together at thanksgiving, but he's not a runner.  I try to get him to ride with me, but he will NOT wear bike clothes, so he doesn't. 

Training: I am currently training to finish Ironman Couer D'Alene. I have I'm the fourth week of the 30-week plan in the Be Iron Fit book, but I'm thinking of starting to work with a local coach so that may change soon.  Start with that coach's masters swim group Jan 2nd. 

Weight: I'm a big dude at 6'7" and 250.  I played ball in HS at 185, then slowly but  surely worked my way up to 285 by March 05.  By Sep 05, I had worked it down to 237.  Got back up to 255 last winter and hovered at 250-255 since then.  I need to make a change to get that number down to about 225, hopefully by June 24 :-)  Also, I just had a physical, where I found out my cholesterol is 232 with low HDL.  They want me to go right on Lipitor, but I don't know.  They didn't even talk to me about options.  Can't it be fixed with lower weight and better diet and exercise?
2006-12-24 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Just want to say Merry Christmas to the group. Hope you all eat up and get ready for the New Year!!
2006-12-25 9:59 PM
in reply to: #632140

User image

Expert
North Carolina

Big Ron - 2006-12-22 10:26 PM Story: I'm a 41 year old computer guy, doing government contract work in Northern Virginia.  I played basketball in high school, but no other organized sports.   During a 9 year stint in the Air Force, I played just about every intramural sport you can think of, but only volleyball "stuck".  I've played competitively since.  During my assignment to Hawaii (86-89), I spectated at a couple races and started riding and swimming a little, but never could get the nerve to try a race.  The idea was always there, though.  Fast forward to '04.  A friend (Brad, Weds19 on BT) got the bug from a college buddy to try tris.  I think it was something about checking Ironman off the life list, so they did at Wisconsin '05.  Inspired by them, I did a pool sprint in Oct 04 and four more sprints last year.  This year I trained with Brad occaisionally through the summer, but didn't do any tris.  I'm not a runner, but I did do two half-marathons the Marine Corps Marathon, and a couple 5k/10k races this fall.  I did poorly at MCM and may do it again next year to get some payback.  I also did my first century ride.   I made the trip up to IM Lake Placid this year to cheer on Brad and five other friends.  It's amazing the people we saw doing that race.  Obviously there were the studs, but there were many non-studs.  I can be one of them.

Family: Married to Gwen for almost 14 years.  She's not into sports at all, but supports me by letting me indulge in this stuff.  I have a 19 year old son from a previous marraige who's a sophomore at James Madison University here in VA.  He's a basketball guy.  We both ran our first 5k together at thanksgiving, but he's not a runner.  I try to get him to ride with me, but he will NOT wear bike clothes, so he doesn't. 

Training: I am currently training to finish Ironman Couer D'Alene. I have I'm the fourth week of the 30-week plan in the Be Iron Fit book, but I'm thinking of starting to work with a local coach so that may change soon.  Start with that coach's masters swim group Jan 2nd. 

Weight: I'm a big dude at 6'7" and 250.  I played ball in HS at 185, then slowly but  surely worked my way up to 285 by March 05.  By Sep 05, I had worked it down to 237.  Got back up to 255 last winter and hovered at 250-255 since then.  I need to make a change to get that number down to about 225, hopefully by June 24 :-)  Also, I just had a physical, where I found out my cholesterol is 232 with low HDL.  They want me to go right on Lipitor, but I don't know.  They didn't even talk to me about options.  Can't it be fixed with lower weight and better diet and exercise?

Ron, I am no doctor or have no medical training but I think I heard one of my running buddies saying that Liptor was not designed to be taken by endurance athletes. Especially those training for marathons and triathlons. I think most people can lower their chlosterol by losing weight but the guy I was talking to was very skinny and had run several marathons. Sometimes your parents give you bad genes........

2006-12-27 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Just checking in and wanted to see how everyone is doing. I want to encourage those of you who do not log your workout s yet to do so. I understand its still the Holidays and most people will rev up next week so i will check back then. For those of you still training hard hope all is going well and keep it up because when you get out and  train when others dont you are just getting that much ahead of the others!!!

2006-12-27 2:45 PM

User image

A question. I am a registered but non paying member. What level of membership is required to be able fill in all of those details?
2006-12-27 5:02 PM
in reply to: #634317

User image

Master
Pulaski TN

gstaton - 2006-12-27 2:45 PM A question. I am a registered but non paying member. What level of membership is required to be able fill in all of those details?

Anyone can log their workouts. Just go to the Icon at the top of your page called training log. Once there you need to go to control panel and name your blog so we can see your workouts. Then just go to the day click on edit log and post your workouts and even a blog if you would like. That way we all can view your workouts.If you have any more questions PM me and I will walk you through it.

2006-12-29 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Hey guys hope you all have a safe and happy new years and lets hit the ground running after the first. "Team ID"
2006-12-31 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Happy New Year's Eve everyone. The new year is upon us!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cbost2678's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 3