Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-01-19 7:39 PM
in reply to: #625425

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: RE: cbost2678's Group - Full
It's going. I am starting to work in some two a days to prepare for my plan starting on the 5th of Feb. I am also trying to wake up early a little more.

2007-01-22 12:15 PM

User image

Hi All

I am still fighting flu. Seems like I might be developing pneumonia. So much for a good month of winter training. Need to get a bike trainer so that I can at least do something indoors.

Hope everyone has a good week.
2007-01-23 9:30 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Hate to hear you are still fighting the bug. Get well soon and once you do a trainer is a must unless you can get outside every day. I love my trainer and i can get in some great TV time on it!!!
2007-01-24 2:27 PM

User image

I have been sticking to a training plan laid out in last months TRIATHLETE mag called "One Size Fits All Half Ironman Training PLan". I am donig level one since I have only 2 super sprints to my credit so far and since the next race I am training for is also short (1 k/ 25 k/ 5 k).

I do however have a concern and a question. My arches are getting tender during or just after I run. Do I need to avoid running for a week or will I be ok to just keep plowing through? I am using (trying to) the POSE method so i should NOT be causing too muych damage down there.

Also, I own a DIVE wetsuit (body glove), but the ones I see triathlete use look like a different material. Will a dive suit work for an open water (lake ) swim? It's a shorty so it's not too bulky.

Edited by gstaton 2007-01-24 2:28 PM
2007-01-24 4:18 PM
in reply to: #666632

Veteran
NoVa

gstaton - 2007-01-24 2:27 PM I have been sticking to a training plan laid out in last months TRIATHLETE mag called "One Size Fits All Half Ironman Training PLan". I am donig level one since I have only 2 super sprints to my credit so far and since the next race I am training for is also short (1 k/ 25 k/ 5 k).

I do however have a concern and a question. My arches are getting tender during or just after I run. Do I need to avoid running for a week or will I be ok to just keep plowing through? I am using (trying to) the POSE method so i should NOT be causing too muych damage down there.

I'm no doctor, but I have seen my share of podiatrists.   I wouldn't recommend plowing through any foot pain for long before checking with one.    Also, I'm a huge believer in the miracle of custom orthotics.  

Also, I own a DIVE wetsuit (body glove), but the ones I see triathlete use look like a different material. Will a dive suit work for an open water (lake ) swim? It's a shorty so it's not too bulky.

Same neoprene material, but I think tri wetsuits are specifically made/shaped to not hinder the freestyle movements.   If the upper part of your dive suit doesn't stretch right or allow the right movements it could probably get very uncomfortable.    Might be worth it to rent one for the race.   Many do.

2007-01-24 4:55 PM

Veteran
NoVa

I'm in week 8 of 30 of the "Be Iron Fit" plan.    So far I'm sticking with the Competitive version of the schedule for running (!)  and biking, but swimming is proving to be more of a challenge.   Currently on the Just Finish swim schedule.    I started a once a week masters class 3 weeks ago, which is helping, and will do a couple one-on-one sessions with the coach
in the next couple weeks.   Darn dropping elbows!   

I feel like I'm not riding enough, though I'm on plan and do not want to burn out on this whole thing, so I'm holding back a bit.  They'll get longer :-)

The run volume has me a little bummed out.   I NEVER get to do any non-brick run shorter than an hour on this plan.  I could sure use a nice 30 minute run every now and then.   I'm doing well with it so far, but at 239lbs too much running could cause disaster.   BTW, I'm in the BT winter weight challenge, down from 254 to 239 and heading for 225.  Running can only get easier then, right.   

The last three paragraphs are what makes me want to bounce some things off of a coach, but I guess you guys will have to do   :-

On a fun note, tomorrow a big box should arrive with a new frame and everything I need to turn it into my new tri-bike.   Bike building party this weekend in Berryville, VA, if anyone wants to stop by.   I'll tell you all about it when she's done.    I'll just say it's custom Ti, but not a company you've probably heard of.

Do all of you guys have friends/relatives/whatever that are also into this stuff?   I work with a two-time ironman who's just a normal guy.  We ride together often, swim sometimes, and talk a lot about it.    Through him I know 6-8 of his friends (all around the east coast and all BT members) who tri, all doing one IM per year.   None of them are athletic beasts, though some are very fast.   Having them as examples and being able to talk to them makes this all seem MUCH more achievable.   I don't believe I'd have even tried it on my own, especially the IM.

Ron. 

2007-01-28 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN

Sorry just now chiming in I have had a crazy weekend. First off the tri wetsuit is different than a dive suit. I saw a guy swimming in one at a race so its not that people dont use them its just a Triathlon wetsuit is specifically made with the swimming stroke in mind. If you dont want to buy one I agree you can rent them. I bought mine from promotion wetsuits. If you order from them you get a 15% discount when you mention you are a BT member. The website is www.wetsuit.com.

I agree on the running at over 240 pounds its not fun. And yes my shortest run are briks after long rides. besides that it is a minimum of 45 minutes.

As for the arches issues there are several things you can do. One get custom made orthodics which can be a bit pricy or if you are in a area where Fleet Feet or other large running shoe stores they can test your gait and your current foot situation and suggest shoes that will benefit you more.  Hope some of this helps and if you have more questions just keep asking!! Happy Training!

2007-02-05 12:06 PM

User image

Hi All

Back to training for me. Life has been insane. My wife and I just had a little boy who is keeping us up nights, and the dreaded flu bug has only now decided to leave the system. Swam a long 2.5 miles over the weekend and managed 2 hours on the bike. Plan on having a good week of training to get me back in the swing of things. Hope everyone's training is going along well
2007-02-05 12:35 PM

User image

Hello all.

I have another queestion for the group.

What is the optimum HAND POSITION in the water? When I freestyle i "cup" my hands slightly (all finger tight together) thinking that this is the best way to move more water per stroke. Yet I saw a picture of a swimmer with his thumb extened 90 degrees away from the rest of his hand (the other 4 finders were closed) thus making the shape of an "L".

What is the science on this?

2007-02-09 6:10 AM
in reply to: #679745

User image

Expert
North Carolina

gstaton - 2007-02-05 1:35 PM Hello all. I have another queestion for the group. What is the optimum HAND POSITION in the water? When I freestyle i "cup" my hands slightly (all finger tight together) thinking that this is the best way to move more water per stroke. Yet I saw a picture of a swimmer with his thumb extened 90 degrees away from the rest of his hand (the other 4 finders were closed) thus making the shape of an "L". What is the science on this?

Good question. I also had a swim coach tell me one time that some swimmers would actually leave a little gap between their fingers to create like a web effect.......don't know if I buy that one. I cup the hand myself but I suck at swimming!!!

2007-02-11 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
I myself cup my hand completely as well. I feel a swimming stroke  that you feel efficient with  is the best to stick with. The only changes  I have  made have been merging theTI stroke with mine. making it a longer rotating one.

2007-05-04 9:24 PM

User image

Memphis, Tn
Just a quick note to see how everyone's doing now that the tri season has begun. I myself just finished a sprint this past weekend and my next race is Memphis in May. then of course there is Ironman Louisville in August.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cbost2678's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 3