BT Development Mentor Program Archives » huskyboy's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-01-23 1:06 PM
in reply to: #664954

Utah
Subject: RE: huskyboy's Group - FULL
Hi,

I'd advise not pushing through a cold if you really feel sick. Especially since you have flu symptoms. You really do not want to break your body down and get pneumonia too (that'd really set you back).

I am not a medical expert by any means, but I had a major cold that started Christmas Day and lasted a week and today I am still feeling the remnants of the cold. I pushed my body only as far as I felt good. If I worked out and felt good during the exercise AND felt good the next morning I knew I was not pushing too hard.

Listen to your body and by no means feel you are wimping out if you really feel sick. But, don't use it as an excuse

Good luck!

2007-01-23 1:48 PM
in reply to: #625431

User image

Veteran
Lomma
My rule of thumb is that if my resting heartrate is more than 15 beats/minute faster than my ordinary resting heartrate (measured when i wake up) i do no training at all.

I figure the body is fighting something if it's in overdrive.

Just my 14 öre (apprx 2 cents)
2007-01-23 2:28 PM

Utah
Speaking of Training...

I am sure that each of you have laid out your training schedules outlining not only when you workout, but what you do for swimming, strength training, etc.

I was wondering how each of you went about building your schedules.

I am training, but have no idea as to if my schedule will (not very detailed) prepare me for my first event (mini-sprint march 24th).

Thanks
2007-01-23 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Since i'm in such poor shape i settle for atleast 120 minutes of cardio this first month, 180 minutes in feb and 240 minutes in march.

Then i'll buy a bike and really go to work. Oh yeah.. got to do the swimming aswell.

Talked to total immersion UK today, if i can get a pool, a classroom and 15 participants they will come from the UK and do a 3-day course
2007-01-23 6:16 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Training when sick - one rule of thumb I've heard is that if it's from the neck up (a little congestion, runny nose for example), it's all right to keep training, but if it gets below the neck (chest congestion, coughing, stomach/intestinal problems) it's probably better to rest.

2007-01-23 6:22 PM
in reply to: #665551

Utah
Yuck --> snot in the pool

2007-01-23 6:31 PM
in reply to: #665177

User image

Master
Maine

parratt - 2007-01-23 3:28 PM Speaking of Training... I am sure that each of you have laid out your training schedules outlining not only when you workout, but what you do for swimming, strength training, etc. I was wondering how each of you went about building your schedules. I am training, but have no idea as to if my schedule will (not very detailed) prepare me for my first event (mini-sprint march 24th). Thanks

Have you checked out some of the training plans here on BT? There are a variety of plans for different distances which can provide some structure. Most balanced plans involve doing each of the disciplines 2-3x a week (each), and working up to a swim, bike, and run that's at least a little longer than your target event.  If you can do each distance individually, then start to add in some bricks, doing a short run after the bike for example. If you can do that, you'll be good to go for your event.

I found using a structured plan to be the most useful when I was starting out - it gave me confidence to think that if I could do the training prescribed in the plan, I could do the race. One thing to keep in mind is to not get too obsessed with the plan - if you miss a day, or change some things around, it won't hurt you. Early on I would get a little obsessive about the training plan and start to freak out if I missed some, but eventually I learned to see the big picture.

These days I'm kind of following one of the winter maintenance plans, but modifying it quite a bit to fit my schedule.  This plan will take me through February, after which I'll start training toward my goal races for this year (several half IMs). I won't likely follow a training plan, but generally try to do each discipline 2-3x a week with at least one long ride, one long run, and one long swim.  "Long" would be relative to your longest distance race, although I will probably still do a number of 80-100 mile rides and 16+ mile runs since I am looking to "race" the half IMs and also build toward my next IM.

So currently it looks like you already have the endurance to do the three events in a mini-sprint (looking at this week - 50 minute spin class, 50 minute swim, 30 minute run), so consider adding another session of each discipline each week, try out some bricks, and maybe increase the run gradually over the next two months, and you should be more than ready. 

2007-01-23 6:33 PM
in reply to: #665563

User image

Master
Maine

parratt - 2007-01-23 7:22 PM Yuck --> snot in the pool

Yeah, maybe skip the pool even if it is above your neck .

2007-01-23 8:43 PM
in reply to: #665568

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
I picked up Eric Harr's "Triathlon Training from beginner to finish line in just six weeks." The book talks about everything you need to know regardingTriathlons as well as training schedules. It also has different training programs depending on your fitness level.

Right now I am working at building up my endurance (through the winter months). I have picked up the training pace (trying to get in 5-6 days per week) so that I can focus on specific training drills when my triathlon date(s) get closer.

Hope that helps.
2007-01-23 8:50 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Did anyone know that someone here bought a new bike AND HASN'T UPDATED THE GROUP YET with it's progress? Just a little sarcasm.......
2007-01-23 9:02 PM
in reply to: #665735

Utah
Yeah, yeah. The bike is still apart. No time and no tools, plenty of drooling though.

My local tri bike shop says for me to bring it in and I can use their tools and they will help. They are only open 12-6 mon-fri and 12-7 on Sat (when they are too busy to let me come use the facilities). So it is hard to find a time that works.

I'll update ya'll soon

Edited by parratt 2007-01-23 10:23 PM

2007-01-24 12:04 AM
in reply to: #665568

Utah
I have looked at the plans a bit. I was wondering if, as a performance member, you get more detailed plan information than is shown in the examples.

Yeah, I am screwed up...I spend 2K on a bike, but I am mulling over $50/year. Quit yer snickering...I just want to make sure the tools are useful. I am comparing them to www.trainingpeaks.com. My Tri Club coach has access to it at a good discount.

Thanks all.
2007-01-26 2:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Another week gone, and just 0.4kg's lost.

I've really tried to eat properly this week and i worked out more than i set out to do. :-(

2007-01-27 7:16 PM
in reply to: #665874

User image

Master
Maine

parratt - 2007-01-24 1:04 AM I have looked at the plans a bit. I was wondering if, as a performance member, you get more detailed plan information than is shown in the examples.

Some plans are more detailed for performance members, with more specifics (not just "swim 45 minutes", but actual structured workouts).  Kind of depends on what you are looking for - there's nothing magical about one plan versus another, just how well they fit you, your schedule, etc.

2007-01-27 7:17 PM
in reply to: #668598

User image

Master
Maine

FlyBoy172 - 2007-01-26 3:53 AM Another week gone, and just 0.4kg's lost. I've really tried to eat properly this week and i worked out more than i set out to do. :-(

Keep at it - keep increasing the workouts, reducing the calories, and it will happen...

2007-01-31 7:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Thank's for the kind words, i'll try to get it together from now on. :-)

What's up with the rest of you guys? It's so quiet here in our little forum.

On a different note, when i lived in the US i always used NyQuil when i was feeling sick or had a cold. It's not for sale here in Sweden, any chance one of you guys would be willing to send me a few bottles? I'll pay either in dollars or i just might send you some swedish specialities. :-)

have a good one!

2007-02-02 1:57 PM

Utah
Hello all!

I have scheduled an appointment for my bike fit. We have a FIST certified fitter here and my LBS.

We have had bad air quality lately, but it looks like it'll let up soon so I can take my ride out.

Hope all are doing well and training harder that I am training!

Mark
2007-02-04 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Yeah Mats, nothing like nyquil - hmmm, what kind of swedish specialties are we talking about - massage with one of those famously beautiful swedish women?

Can't wait to hear how the bike feels Mark - some of the FIST fitters go for pretty aggressive fits, may take some getting used to.

How's everybody else - winter is winding down, woohoo! Longer days, more daylight, not as cold, although speaking of cold...

I had a race today - 10 mile run with 5 below zero windchills. Nothing like a race to get your adrenaline up and get you excited about training again. For those of you who have not done any races - consider it as you start to feel comfortable with the distances, even with some walking. A lot of people feel intimidated to consider doing a race, but once you get there you realize that everyone is not some super fast runner or triathlete (especially at small local races). The experience of having people cheering for you as you push yourself to cross that finish line is super-motivating.  Just something to consider.

Keep at it everybody - I'm traveling to Oregon this week for a conference - should be fun.

2007-02-09 7:32 AM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
hey guys. for some reason i hit a wall and have had a hard time making it to the gym for the past couple of weeks. things were going strong and then WHAM. you would think it was that time of the month or something. . but then i hopped back on here and was encouraged by the blogging. i will stop by the gym on the way home from work and get a bike/run in.

Huskyboy- 10 miles in 5 below.....are you crazy????
2007-02-09 7:54 AM
in reply to: #684903

User image

Master
Maine

triguy38 - 2007-02-09 8:32 AM hey guys. for some reason i hit a wall and have had a hard time making it to the gym for the past couple of weeks. things were going strong and then WHAM. you would think it was that time of the month or something. . but then i hopped back on here and was encouraged by the blogging. i will stop by the gym on the way home from work and get a bike/run in. Huskyboy- 10 miles in 5 below.....are you crazy????

Maybe a little...

Get to that gym, Bob! We're all rooting for you.

2007-02-09 11:35 AM

New user

I'm having the same motivation problems. And I know it started when I was sick, and then I changed jobs which took away my lunch time work out and then (insert violin here) I have a real hard time getting out of bed when it's 14 degrees outside. Having said all that, I plan to run tonight and get moving next week. My schedule is going to be 1.5 hours in the morning and 1 in the evening and 2 hours 1 day every other weekend. Anybody have any ideas to put the 1.5 hours and the 2 hour workouts to best use?

2007-02-09 12:03 PM
in reply to: #685266

Utah
The length of the workout is not as important as consistency and intensity. Each of us are at different levels. My 45min workout could equate to Rob's 30 minute session.

The bottom line is to make the workouts a habit. It can be overwhelming to get out and go for 1.5 hours. If you look at my log you'll see some days I only go 1/2 hour. Even though I can't get a full workout in I "keep the habit going" by doing something each day. Even if it is only 15 minutes it is better than nothing.

Remember exercise is cumulative. Everything you do counts.

Good luck

Edited by parratt 2007-02-09 12:04 PM
2007-02-13 10:45 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Hey guys. Slug here. Still not at the gym yet. I feel like Orca's brother. Aaaaaa....yeah.

Have you guys signed up for any tris yet this season?
2007-02-14 9:56 PM

Utah
Yes, My 1st tri is a mini try 300m swim --> 10k bike --> 5k run on March 24th. Will I be ready? Not at my current pace.
2007-02-16 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Hey all - I've been traveling a lot and haven't been posting much - I'm still in Florida right now.

Definitely hard to keep motivation going in the winter - it does seem like we're programmed to get slug-like pretty easily. Keep trying to force yourself out there a few times a week, and when the better weather comes hopefully you'll feel a surge in motivation and drive.

I've signed up for a few races so far, ones that fill up early - I'll probably do 6-8 tris this season, but most I won't have to sign up for until the season starts.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » huskyboy's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 5