of 5

2006-12-15 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: huskyboy's Group - FULL
Name:  Huskyboy (Rob)

Story:
  35 year old adult-onset athlete. Started running and training for tris in 2004. At that point I could barely swim a length of the pool without stopping, but kept at it and saw fast improvement. I completed several sprints, olympics and a half-iron in 2005, then did several sprints, a half, and Ironman Lake Placid this year.

Family/Personal:  Married with two young daughters (3 and 6). I live in Maine and work as a psychologist for the VA.

Training:  I'm working to maintain the long distance base I developed training for ironman this year. Plan for next year involves several local sprints and olympic distance races, a couple halfs, and possibly an iron distance race late in the season. I'm trying to get faster, especially in the water and on the bike, with a five year goal of qualifying for Kona. I've followed structured plans before, but now am pretty flexible with training.  I don't use a heart rate monitor or any of the technical training equipment, but I've still gone from running 11 minute miles in 2004 to sub-7's now.

Weight:  I'm 6 feet tall, 165 pounds. I was 235 when I started running and tri-training.  Current goal is to maintain my weight.

Edited by huskyboy 2006-12-20 7:45 AM

2006-12-16 8:48 AM
in reply to: #625431

New user

Subject: RE: huskyboy's Group - OPEN - Join
Hey there, I'm a 46 year old gay male, 3 kids, 15,14 and 10. I have a partner, we've been together 3 years. I'm 6'3", and weight 241. My goal is to get down to 195 and stay there. My goal for this year is the Richmond Marathon, currently my running pace is slightly better than 4 miles an hour. I also swim, working up to about 1.5 miles 3-4 times a week. Did the bike some last summer, but then my jeans wouldn't fit over my thighs so I'm hesitant to go back to that. Looking for motivation and inspiration and mostly someone to help me be accountable. For some reason, I stumble at New Year's. I've been very consistent since October, and dropped about 9 pounds, but every January - when other people try to start, that's when I take about a three month break. Want to avoid that this year.

Thanks.
2006-12-16 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: huskyboy's Group - OPEN

Welcome to BT Troy! Start logging those workouts, and I look forward to helping you reach your goals!

-Rob

2006-12-17 12:08 PM

Utah
Name: Mark

Story: 42-year-old trying to get my physical life back after having back surgery in June '03. I knew I needed to strengthen my core and my PT had me do swimming. I recently found and joined a local tri club. I plan on doing a few sprints in '06, olympic sprints in '07, and a 1/2 IM in '08.

Family: Married 17 years, two boys (14 and 11) and a girl (6). Software Quality Assurance / Test by profession.

Training: I am currently working out 7 1/2 hours a week (swim, spin, run, and strength train). My first sprint is a local icebreaker in March. I have the bug. I just need a bike.

Stats:6' tall and 243 lbs. Yeah, I am a Clydesdale, and based in my weight when I was lean and mean I will more than likely stay here.

Thanks!

Edited by parratt 2006-12-18 9:51 AM
2006-12-18 5:20 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Welcome Mark! Sounds like you're already doing some good training. That's great that you found a tri-club to join - having people to train and race with is always good for motivation. Start logging your workouts here at BT - it's a great way to keep track of your progress, and I look forward to seeing you meet your goals!

-Rob

2006-12-19 4:53 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
I'd like to join.

Name: Bob

Story: I too am an adult-onset athlete. Getting married and starting a family young, I had no real time to get involved in sports after high school. My brother in law (New Mexico bicycle racing champion in 1993-4) dared me to get involved in Triathlons last year. Being a competitive person, I took on the challenge. I hopped in the pool at the gym and attempted to swim 1 length. I went home and took a 2 hour nap. But I have continued sporatic training. I ran in 2 5Ks this past year and am committed to completing my first oly tri in 2007.

Family: I live in Denver Colorado. i am 39 years old. married for 18 years. have one daughter 17 (graduating from HS this year - Yessssssss!)

Training: I train when I can. My work keeps me from training more often. I have recently moved my office which will allow for more training. I keep a pretty good log on BT of my training, but it is pretty sporatic. This is where i need some motivation and accountability.

Weight: I am 6'0" and weigh 190 lbs. I was at 210 2 months ago and would like to get to 170 before my tri.

Goal: I have signed up for the PF Change Marathon on Jan 14, 2007 (the day I turn 40). Since running is my weakest of the 3, it will definately be a challenge for me. Currently I run a 10.5 minute mile. I would like to get in the sub 7s (like you Rob).

I look forward to corresponding with you guys.

2006-12-19 4:59 PM

Hi, Rob.

I'm a 32-YO male PhD student. I was very active from birth until 16 (soccer, basketball, tennis, biking, softball, etc), but from that point on, I really kind of stopped regular physical activity (though I would occasionally go play a pick-up soccer game or ride my bike). I just fell (was pushed) out of a 7 year relationship, so it seems the best thing is to dedicate myself to something like this.

I live in NYC, have easy access to biking/running trails, and have a gym membership. I am looking for a plan of action, but know that I need to drop some weight before I begin running, let alone expose innocent by-standards to my body while in the pool.

I'm 5'10" and weigh 215 or so. From what my doctor told me, I should be around 170. So that's a goal. I'm looking to put myself back together, and I could use some guidance.

Cheers,
Kiran
2006-12-20 2:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Hi All,

My name is Mats Andersson, a 36 year old guy from Lomma, a small town in southern Sweden. I live with my girlfriend of 2 years in our new house with our 10 month old puppydog. No kids yet. (not for the lack of trying)

I grew up a fat kid, weighed 220lbs at the age of 14 and it got worse from there.
No activity at all until i turned 25 and moved to sunny San Diego. Opposed to most other people i know i actually lost weight when moving to the states. I trained 4 days a week, weightlifting and a few hours of squash a week. I managed to get down from about 300lbs to 230 and felt great. Moved to Australia in 1999 and kept working out a bit, but my weight crept upwards yet again.

My job is in Denmark with 2 hours of commuting eating up my workout time. I work as a sales coach at Dell.

At the moment i've gone from 305lbs down to 255 and now i'm back up at 288.
As you might figure out i'm great at starting things, but not that good at keeping them up. :-(

My original goal was set in march -06 and it was to be able to do an Ironman late in 2007. I realize that wont happen, but i hope to be able to do a shorter distance.

6 feet tall, 288lbs starting point, i'd love to be able to get down to 220lbs.

Longest distances:
Running: 1mile
Swimming: 50meters
Cycling: 130Km

My challenge will probably be the swimming: I can barely avoid drowning at the moment. Running i absolutely hate! Bicycling is ok for me, i guess i could break out the old bike and pull 100km out of the bag and still live to tell the tale.

That's me folks!

Edited by FlyBoy172 2006-12-20 3:02 AM
2006-12-20 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: huskyboy's Group - FULL

Welcome Bob, Kiran, and Mats! You guys all have some great goals, and congratulations on the progress you have made so far.

So it looks like the group is now full. Feel free to add each other to your logs and to leave "inspire me" notes and comments for each other. One of the best parts of this community is the motivation to be gained from knowing that other people are checking up on you and care about how you are doing.

I am available pretty much any time for any questions, comments, concerns, etc. Feel free to leave me inspire me notes or private messages, or post to this thread for more general and open discussions.  Also, let me know if you have any questions on how any of the features of BT work.

Someone on another thread made a good point that I think is worth repeating here - don't be intimidated by the logs - just click on "edit today's log" and put in the time and/or distance of your workouts, along with a few comments about how you felt, how it went, or whatever. You don't have to fill in all the detailed ratings about weight, nutrition, or anything else if you don't want to (although it can be fun to graph your weight and see your progress over time).

Again, welcome to everyone and I look forward to supporting you all!

-Rob

Edited by huskyboy 2006-12-20 7:45 AM
2006-12-21 2:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Hi Rob,

Just getting my blog and everything up and running.

What do you think a realistic goal for this spring would be?
2006-12-21 6:13 PM
in reply to: #629969

User image

Master
Maine

FlyBoy172 - 2006-12-21 3:48 AM  What do you think a realistic goal for this spring would be?

Look for a sprint distance triathlon. Sprint distance races usually range anywhere from a 400 to 800 meter swim, around a 20k bike, and a 5k run. From what you describe of your background, the bike will be a piece of cake, but the swimming and running will be more difficult.

The swimming will come with practice - the real trick is to SLOW DOWN. Most people (including myself) had that initial experience of gasping for breath after that first lap or two, but once you learn to slow down and not fight the water, it gets easier. If available, look into some local swimming classes or coaching, or consider getting one of the Total Immersion books or DVD's. Form is very important when swimming, much more important than strength or stamina.

So that leaves the running - you said the most you've done is about a mile, so we'll work from there. Try some run/walking - this is what I did when I started - I would run for 4 minutes or so, then walk a minute, then repeat. Run/walking will let you cover more distance, and eventually the walk "breaks" get shorter and farther between, and eventually disappear.  Some even start with one minute running/two minutes walking, and build from there.

You may want to check out some of the sprint distance training plans here on BT. A lot of people have had good success using these kinds of plans.

So that would be my initial advice - pick an early-season sprint for next year, then see how it's going and if you'll want to do some more sprints next summer or maybe even bump up to an olympic distance (1500M/40k/10k).

Edited by huskyboy 2006-12-21 6:14 PM

2006-12-26 9:20 AM

New user

I need to lay off swimming for a few weeks, I don't know if it's from swimming or from carrying my backpack, but my right shoulder up into my neck and down into my arm is hurting. Do you know of any good stretches or exercises to help it rehabilitate? If I'm still in pain after a week off, I'm going to the doctor, but I'm hoping it's minor.

Thanks.
Troy
2006-12-27 9:27 AM
in reply to: #633109

User image

Master
Maine
If it's hurting right now, I really wouldn't want to stretch it. Rest it for a week, see if it improves, then see a doc if it's not getting better.
2006-12-27 10:43 AM

Utah
Subject: Checking in...
I hope all of you had a very Merry Christmas. I did, but with a cold. It set in on Sunday morning and I am still majorly stuffed up and coughing. Needless to say I missed my workouts yesterday and today. I will try to do something this evening so I keep the slot open and the habit strong (in the 8th week).

I'll get to posting my workouts and such soon.

Take care folks.

Mark
2006-12-29 2:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Hi everybody!

Finally got my butt of the couch and did some working out and added my short- and long term goals to my blogg.

Thanks Bob for the inspiration in my blogg the other day :-)

Going to the local swimmingpool tonight to get a bit wet and see if my form is as bad as i think it is.

Do any of you guys have any experience with VLCD (Very Low Caloric Diets)?
We've got one here in Sweden called the Cambridge diet. 3 shakes a day and you get around 450Kcal/day, mostly from protein.

My thoughts on it is that it can't be good long term, but if it helps me take the first 15-20 pounds of in a month, i might be more motivated to work out and have an easier time running.

thoughts on this?

Edited by FlyBoy172 2006-12-29 2:35 AM
2006-12-29 7:34 AM
in reply to: #636140

New user

I may be the only one in the group old enough to really remember, but Cambridge was here in the US back in the early 80s, maybe late 70s. A lot of people lost weight, but they eventually pulled it from the market, a few people died. I think they've improved it since then.

Our mentor can weigh in here, but Weight Watchers' is what's worked best for me and the first 10-15 pounds come off fast and I didn't feel like I was starving.

Good luck.

Troy

2006-12-29 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
I hear you about WW Troy, the girlfriend loves WW.

For me: i feel it's a lot of work with WW. I never get around to weighing and measuring every bit of food. (And i don't get how something with say 50Kcal is the same amount points as something with 200Kcal, but that's another story)

It always ends with me guesstimating the amount of food i eat and the portions become bigger and bigger. :-(

Guess i'm looking for an easy way out, and we all know there's none...
2006-12-29 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Yeah, I think I would stay away from any kind of crash, starvation type diet. It's a tough balance when you're training for triathlon and wanting to lose a good amount of weight. You need to fuel and replenish your body for your workouts, but also want to run a caloric deficit to drop the pounds. I would bet that any workouts would be miserable on 450 calories a day. 

One thing to consider is your goals - are you looking to drop some quick pounds, or looking to develop a long-term healthy, active lifestyle? If you're just looking to drop some quick weight, than a diet might work for you, but there may be a serious rebound.  On the other hand, if you are looking to make a long term change, then you don't need to do any drastic "dieting".  Many would suggest that thinking of what you are doing as "dieting" works against you, since the idea of a diet is that it's short term and usually involves deprivation or some kind of non-sustainable plan of eating (like all that Atkins crap).  Weight watchers seems relatively balanced compared to a lot of other plans, and I have seen it help some people.

I think the common factor that makes some plans work is making you be conscious of what you are eating. The vast majority of people don't really think about their food choices and quantities, and end up consuming way too much. Drives me nuts to see people hitting the drive through at Dunkin Donuts for a "snack" which consists of a giant latte and a muffin which hits them with well over a thousand calories.

What worked for me was to do SOME calorie restriction but also to make some long term changes in how and what I ate. Toss out the simple sugars, simple carbs, unhealthy fats, processed foods, and fast foods, and focus on fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, healthy fats, and so on. Focus on eating throughout the day if possible, with lots of small meals.  People at my work joke about how I'm always eating, which is pretty true, but what I'm eating is a piece of fruit, some almonds, a granola bar, or other such things.

On a typical day (when not doing long distance training), my eating looks something like this: banana before morning workout (5:30), big bowl of cereal (raising bran or cheerios usually) after the workout (6:30), banana and oj when I get to work (7:30), small bag of almonds and raisins or dried apricots (8:30-9), granola bar - nature valley, not the chocolate chip/smores types (10), carrot sticks (11), cheese stick, banana, pear (noon), fruit for mid-afternoon snack (2:30), maybe some wheat thins or more almonds or whatever's around when I get home (4:30), then a regular dinner (such as grilled chicken/broccoli/brown rice, pasta with chicken sausage and focaccia bread, pork chops with peas and mashed sweet potatoes). I drink a lot of water also.

I didn't change it all overnight, just started making some slow changes, replacing a candy bar with a banana, things like that.  If you are training steadily, and making some healthy changes to your diet, the weight will drop. It becomes kind of addicting, and starts to reinforce itself - the excitement of seeing a few more pounds comes off provides good motivation to not eat some junk while you're sitting at work.

Edited by huskyboy 2006-12-29 10:34 AM
2006-12-29 2:50 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
I have dropped from 215 to 192 in 2 months. My wife had surgery in October and had to see 4 different doctors. She asked each doctor about losing weight and all recommended the Southbeach Diet. It primarily consists of vegetables, proteins and "good" carbs (fruit, whole wheat bread and pasta, etc). It took me a while to adjust to the diet, but really helped my running and workouts. The book (I think it is like $15) gives you receipes for 21 days. It is a simple and easy diet.

I have put some weight back on (195 now) during the holidays. I am trying to continue to lose more weight so my running becomes easier and faster.

I encourage you to check it (Southbeach Diet) out first before trying the Cambridge Diet. It is a lifestyle change that helps you lose weight and keep it off. It is very similar to what Rob already does and recommended. Besides it looks like he lost a good 50 pounds.

Let us know what you decide so we can walk along side you helping you to achieve your goal. Good luck.
2007-01-02 3:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
Allright!

Back in business after the mayhem they call new years eve.

Been browsing the forums here at BT and the internet as a whole to get a rudimentary grip of this nutrition bit, and i think that even though the crash diet may or may not work it's not for me this time around.

I'll aim for 1kg weightloss/week. How do you think the following meal plan will work out?

7,00: Oatmeal porridge with a tablespoon of applesauce and a tall glass of water.

10,00: Snack, Apple or banana or a handfull of dried apricots

13,00 Lunch: whatever's served at work, but i'll aim for 60%veggies on the plate, a little bit of carbs, potatoes or rice and fill up the plate with protein.

15,00: Snack, Apple or banana or a handfull of dried apricots

18,00: homecooked meal, same as lunch lot's of veggies and protein.

Over all i'm aiming for 2g protein/kg bodyweight and around 2000-2200Kcal/day.

I'm a diet coke addict, but i'll try to kick the habit and only drink water.

I need some advice when it comes to snacks. Wat do you guys eat?

//Mats

Edited by FlyBoy172 2007-01-02 3:51 AM
2007-01-02 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Good to see another diet coke addict! With the new year I am trying to cut that down - probably not the worse thing in the world, but water would definitely be better for hydration.

Snacks for me usually involve a piece of fruit, some nuts, or a granola bar.

2007-01-02 7:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
I fear nuts! :-)

i never seem to be able to stop eating them, = to much calories.
2007-01-02 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Yeah, that's true with me with nuts too, so I buy almonds "plain" (not roasted and salted) and pack a small baggie of them for work, and that helps control the portions.
2007-01-02 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Lomma
How much almonds do you pack?

Just had a look, and the ones we have in sweden are 640Kcal/100 grams. that's a LOT!
2007-01-02 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Maine

About 1/4 cup, or a good handfull of them. 100g seems like a pretty big serving - almost a 1/4 pound?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » huskyboy's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 5