Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-15 5:29 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Subject: Cavu9's Group - FULL

Name:  Cavu9  (Lane)

Story:
  I am 38 y/o Naval Officer stationed in Memphis, Tennessee.  I am originally from this area and was given the chance to return closer to home after 16 years of service stationed at numerous locations throughout the US.

I got into triathlons a little over 2.5 years ago after coming over from a run-only training program.  I have completed 3 marathons and needed to find some other training to give my knees a bit of a rest.  I fell in love with the sport immediately and have been doing triathlons ever since.  Completing numerous races at all levels, except for an Ironman.

Training:  Training is quite difficult to keep up with while working the job that I do.  It goes without saying that the military has to come first.  Then again, that is because I am training for an Ironman (Ironman Arizona) and that training level requires a high level of additional training hours.

Advice:   The only real advice that I will add about triathlons is....You can do whatever you set your mind to.  You just have to get out there and do it.

Edited by Cavu9 2006-12-19 6:19 PM

2006-12-16 2:57 PM
in reply to: #625432

User image

Athens GA UGA!!!
Subject: RE: Cavu9's Group - OPEN
Hello my name is Donny Chapman, I am a 21 year old college student studying biology at Georgia Southern University. I got involved in triathlons 1.5 years ago after a year of living in a frat house destroyed any athletic ability I once had. Since then I have completed 3 Ironmans, 4 HIM, 2 marathons, and several Olympic and Sprint triathlons. I have never really followed a training plan just kind of winged it.

This year I am planning on getting serious and following a program as well as doing a few IM’s (Florida and Arizona) and some other races, my main goal is to try and get a spot for Kona. I hope we can keep each other motivated!

--Donny
2006-12-16 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Welcome Donny.  I glad you put that we will keep each other motivated...I may have to lean on you for some mentorship.  Nice resume.  I look forward to training along side of you on our way to Arizona. 
2006-12-17 8:28 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan

Hi my name is Nick Doulias.  I'm from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.  I'm 35 and just started Triathlons last year.  I initially started running about 3 years ago after watching my weight balloon to 270 pounds.  Progressed from a 5k clinic up to a half marathon.  Completed my first marathon a year ago and accomplished my goal of under 4 hours (3:54).  I completed 2 sprint tri's this past summer as well as a duathlon.   In my first sprint tri with an open water swim I finished in the top 12 overall so definitely exceeded my expectations, and am now hooked to the sport!  I recently cracked the 200 pound barrier for the first time since high school.

My goals for this year are to complete one or two Half IM in June and July and long term goal of IM Canada in 2008. 

I find that training definitely helps to ease the stresses in life but sometimes I tend to overtrain as well.  I recently lost my Father to lung cancer and have found training to be a way to help get through this difficult time.

I look forward to being motivated and helping to motivate others as well. 

Edited by trisportnick 2006-12-17 8:28 PM
2006-12-18 9:57 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville

Hi. I'd like to join this group. My name is Dave. I'm a 28 year old marine biologist and live in Maryland. Have a girlfriend, no kids. I have a reasonable amount of time to train, but sometimes cruises and field work can get in the way.

I've never competed in a triathlon before, but would like to do a few races next year. I'm pretty motivated to train (even without registering for any races yet). I've been road and mountain biking fairly consistently for the past 8 years or so, doing several metric and full centuries per year (~2000 miles per year). So I think I have a great base there, but I think I need to learn how to ride fast. As the vast majority of that riding has been at sort of a touring pace to stay in shape and to enjoy the road/getting to the destination. I was a competitive swimmer through HS and completed the Chesapeake Bay Swim this year, a 4.4 miler in rough open water with tough currents), and can do training swims at about 1:30-1:35 pace. My running needs help but I'm working on that. My 5K time is in the 22 range now, but I think with some good base building I can really learn to enjoy running. I like running, but I think I just need to get a good base to really enjoy it. I think this year I'd like to compete in several sprint and Oly races. I have my eye on a few and will probably sign up for 3-4 of them. I'm also debating on buying a tri bike. I have a decent road bike but it has a ton of miles on it and I would probably replace it one of these days anyhow...
2006-12-18 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

Hi Cavu9

I would also like to join!!

Story: I am 24 y/o female and a special education teacher in South Dakota and love it. I have been into tri's for about 3 years and finally took the next step of a half ironman last summer, but need a lot more info and ideas, to get better and feel better!! I have done some running events and that is the hardest area...and would love too improve on that!

Training: As of right now I don't have one!! Soon hopefully I will buy my Gold membership and start on a running one and another half ironman. My goal is to do an Ironman. I tried to get into WI but did not so to me that is telling me to work on my running and other distances.

I would love to learn more and get advice so I hope I can  be in this group!

Thanks

2006-12-18 9:04 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
My apologies....I have been in and out this weekend with a lot on my plate, but I want to welcome all of you to our team.   One more and we will be complete.  I will try to update more tomorrow.  Again, welcome!
2006-12-19 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA (Sacramento)

Hey Cavu9,

I also would like to join the group. 

I am a 33 y/o City Planner who could definitely use some mentoring/inspiration with my training. As much as I love triathlons, I find it hard to motivate myself to train consistently. I raced in couple sprints last year, biked around Lake Tahoe (supported), and ran a marathon. My goal for next year is to run more (my marathon time sucked) but keep the variety associated with triathlons as part of staying active regularly. There hundreds of running events here in Northern CA and want to participate in a few trail running events. But, of course, I will race in a triathlon sometime next year (probably oly distance).

Other than that, I look forward to training with the group. Thanks 

2006-12-19 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Subject: RE: Cavu9's Group - FULL

Looks like we have our 5th.  Welcome to the group. 

I plan to add each of you to my "friends list" so that I can drop inspire/harass each of you on a daily basis.  I would recommend that you do the same and drop each other notes as often as you can....including me.  A little friendly motivation goes a long way in getting that training done.

Now, I have to get off my arse and get some training done to set the example, right?  First thing tomorrow morning, I am right back into it....promise!

Edited by Cavu9 2006-12-19 6:27 PM
2006-12-19 6:25 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Here's our group:

1. Cavu9 - Lane
  2. Dchapma3 - Donny
  3. trisportnick - Nick
  4. dck4shrt - Dave
  5. gj50 -Gretchen 
  6. cityplannerx - John

2007-01-01 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Just wanted wish each of you a Happy New Year....now it is time to start of the new year right.  Hope you have your goals/resolutions in order and maintain a healthy mind in allowing you to achieve each of them.

2007-01-22 5:57 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hey everyone.  Hope the training is going well.  Question for you.  I have my first Half Ironman planned for June 23rd.  There is another Half Ironman which I was contemplating registering for only 3 weeks later on July 14th.  Do you think that is too close together to do both?  I guess I could wait until after the first one to see how I feel before registering for the 2nd but it may be full by then.  Your thoughts?
2007-01-23 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

Hey there!

Well this is just my .02.. but I felt great after my first half ironman and felt as if I could have done another one. But after my Marathon there was no way I could have done another race that soon!!! I have the same thing coming up I am going to do a marathon in early May and then Early june there is a half ironman. For me I have a good feeling about this marathon and will be signing up for the half ironman. SO if it where me I would go for it...but it is totally how you feel afterwards.

Good luck and if you have the training you will be fine!

2007-01-24 9:32 AM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ya I figured that after the first race I would take a week to recover and then do some training the next 2 weeks before the race and I should be ready.  All depends on how the first race goes I guess.
2007-01-24 11:09 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Not that I have any experience with doing 2 HIM's in a row, but I would think that you could recover enough to complete the 2nd one, but I wouldn't have any expectations of an great time...but anything's possible I guess. If you just want to 'do' both of them, then I'd say go for it.
2007-01-29 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

Anyone have a good half ironman plan?? I am training for a marathon in May and then a two half's one in June(1st week) and another in July

Thanks

GJ

2007-01-29 11:19 AM
in reply to: #671279

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA (Sacramento)
I found the training plans here on BT to work well. Plus they're relatively cheap and easy to access.

Edited by cityplannerx 2007-01-29 11:20 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Cavu9's Group - FULL Rss Feed