User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: the bear's Group - FULL!

User Name:
the bear (John)

Story:
51-yo male, married, three sons (14, 10 and 10). Woke up New Year's Day 1999, realized I was fat, old, ugly and stupid, decided to do something about the fat part. Started walking, lost 65 lbs. then started running. Ran my first 10K on my 45th birthday, ran my first marathon fourteen months later, ran three more that year (2001) and, of course, developed an overuse injury. Started cycling as I recovered, got hooked on that. Cycling buddies started doing tris, enticed me to do the same. In total, have now run fourteen marathons (in thirteen states) and ridden a dozen or so centuries, a handful of duathlons and a dozen or so triathlons of distances up to half Ironman. Gotten to where I can consistently place in the top 10% of my age group. Still struggle with the swimming...

Training:
Love to train, only race as an excuse to be doing all this training. Develop my own training plans based on the "scientific" body of work out there, try to incorporate endurance training with tempo and speed work. Plan on doing two marathons, two half Ironmans, and several shorter distance tris in 2007, tentative goal is IMCd'A in 2008.

Weight:
Ongoing struggle for me as I love food, even with all this endurance training I continue to ride the roller coaster. Ballooned back up to 215 at the end of 2005, dropped 35 pounds by summer 2006, but even now have put 10 of that back on.

Advice:
I love the Aristotle quote which my health club has painted above their entryway: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Find yourself a plan, a routine even, and stick with it. 

Edited by the bear 2006-12-16 7:56 PM

2006-12-15 8:35 PM
in reply to: #625433

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: the bear's Group - OPEN

Let me be the first to join this group. I am 45, male, two kids 18 and 14. I used lift weights passionately. I lived in the gym. Five years ago, I had an accident that I should not have lived through. After all the physical therapy, I regained use full use of both my arms. But I could not bring myself to go to the gym. So I sat on the couch for 5 years. Early this year I started running. I got up to where I was running 3 days a week, including a long run on Saturday of 10 miles. A friend told me he entered a triathlon and I was very interested. I started swimming 2 days a week and bought a bike (and yes it is red). My first tri is at the end of Jan and it is a reverse with a pool swim. I'd like to move up to olympics and maybe even do a HIM in 2008. I've been reading your logs for months. I'd be greatful for your advice and help.

Jim

Edited by TexOma 2006-12-15 8:38 PM
2006-12-15 10:13 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

I'd like to join your group if that is Ok.

My name is Taylor. I am 27 and I live in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. I just started training this summer in an effort to not have yet another birthday where I weigh 5 pounds more than the one before. On my last birthday I weighed 255 pounds and I decided that was it. I bought a road bike and rode it a LOT for the first 2 months. Then through some cycling friends at work I got talked into trying a triathlon. Started Tri training and I didn't think I would be ready until 2007, but I ended up trying 2 small pool tris this fall just to see. To my complete surprise I got a medal for 3rd place Clydesdale! My second Tri I scored just above 50th percentile. They didn't have a Clyde category, but I think I would have been top 25% AG if they had. Now I am hooked and want to compete in several Sprints this next year. I still really suck as swimming so tackling an OWS race is my big milestone for 07. I would also like to bike a 100mile century next year (I did a 100km one this fall) and maybe a 10k run race if I can fit it in.

So far I am down almost 40 pounds without any dieting. I love food too much so that may be a hurdle for me too. I am also little disapointed in how much upper body size I have lost (well except for the gut!). I would more like to add muscle back and lose fat then lose pounds.

I've always enjoyed your comments on this site and like your straight forward, no sugar coating attitude. I would appreciate any advice you could provide this season.

Edited by tkbslc 2006-12-15 10:16 PM
2006-12-15 10:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey bear i would like to join your group since you have already given me such good advice so far.

ok Short Bio. Ern (Aaron)

15 year old male. Ran track for two years then ran Cross Country for four years. decided to take on a bigger challenge. Found tris got hooked on my first one. Completed three of them last year all sprint distance. Looking to do 5 sprints maby more this year. Then also looking to do at least two OLYs at the end of this year. I have been on this site for the past year and have already gotten a lot of great advice. Exspecially from you bear.

Gear:
trek 1000 road bike(not red but orange)
clip on areo bars
TYR jammers for swimming

Training:
love it dont know how i could live without it. make up my own training plans. Might use the OLY training plan but might adjust it.

hope to learn a lot more this year.
2006-12-15 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Is there room for me? I am very interested in learning more about how to set up my own training plan because none of them really seem to fit me. But I'll get to that ..

My name is Susie. I'm 27 and weigh right now 230 pounds. On Oct. 1, I weighed 253. Not a pretty picture for a girl.

I am newly single. I ended my engagement Oct. 1. Long story, but I'm soooo glad I didn't marry him.

I have done two sprint triathlons -- one in 2004 and in 2005 -- but I have two problems: 1) complete panic in open water; 2) I quit after race day. I am trying to stay motivated now through the winter, and having this mentoring during the next three months will be a BIG help.

I've looked through some of the plans here, and they just don't fit me because I'm not great in the water and I'm not running yet. I am walking 4-5 miles at a time at about a 14-15 mph pace. (I was 3rd overall and 2nd woman at a competitive walking 5K recently.)

Swimming, it just takes me forever. I swim 1,400 meters, but it takes me like 50 minutes to do that. I already took swimming lessons, and I'll be filmed in March at a triathlon camp.

But I can bike 30 miles. So I'm behind on two sports but getting there on the third. Although I haven't been able to surpass the 30-mile mark. I'm wondering now if it's related to my recent diagnosis of celiac, which means I can't eat wheat. So when I've been eating a big bagel before a ride, my body hasn't been able to use those carbs.

The most guidance I will need is on beginning to run (I plan to start Christmas Day; I have wanted to lose a bit more weight first). Also I want to learn more about how to structure workouts when spring is over. I also hope to start bicycle commuting a few days a week. It's a 9-mile hilly ride to work, where I'm fortunate enough to have showers and lockers (for a fee).

My goals for next year are to dramatically cut my sprint tri time by September. It had taken more over 2 hours to do both of them. I'm considering sorta kinda maybe thinking about an oly, but I have to see how the run develops. I also want to do the City to Shore MS bike ride. And a 10K in September or November.

I recently got a heart-rate monitor and know my walking and cycling zones.

I promise I'll be better about logging workouts here. I've not always been faithfully doing that.

Edited by Offthegrid 2006-12-15 11:05 PM
2006-12-15 10:57 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
I would so join your group, but I'm doing a swim-only season. Just keep me in mind for when you do this again.

2006-12-16 6:12 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

What a great group. Got a feeling I'm going to get more inspiration than I can give. Greg, will count you as #5A, hopefully some of your swimming karma will rub off.

I've added all of you to my Friends (Other Blogs) List and invite you to do the same with me and your fellow mentees.

One more and I'll close it out. Any takers?

Edited by the bear 2006-12-16 6:26 PM
2006-12-16 6:54 PM

Veteran
Allen, TX
ME!
2006-12-16 6:59 PM

Veteran
Allen, TX
Okay, I had to post before someone beat me to the punch - LOL!

Bear - I've been lurking on BT for a while and you really crack me up. So I think your personality and sense of humor is just what I need.

I'm a 37 year old female and am brand new to tris. In fact, I'm pretty new to the whole fitness thing in general.

About a year ago I finally realized that 238 lbs on my 5'4" frame was just crazy. I started dieting and walking and, 11 months later, have lost 52.5 pounds. I still would like to lose another 50.5.

I started running approximately 5 months ago. I am VERY slow and am currently resting from shin splints. (I did a 5K about a week ago and pushed it way harder than what I trained for. I train around a 17 min mile pace and finished the race at a 15 min mile pace.)

I recently purchased a bike and, just today, set it up on the trainer. I'm very new to biking but can already tell I'm going to love it.

It's been ages since I've swam, but I use to be a fish when I was younger. I hope I can pick it back up fairly quickly.

From a goal standpoint, I'd like to do a sprint sometime next year. I recognize that my body still has a long way to go before it is fit, so I'm patient.

I think this is such a great idea and just what I needed. There is so much for me to learn and I can't wait to meet everyone!

BTW - I'm married and have an 8-year old son. I'm a software engineer during my day job.

Care'

Edited by VCSharpin 2006-12-16 7:01 PM
2006-12-17 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: the bear's Group - FULL!
Yeah another girl!

Wow, I'm so impressed with the weight loss here. You give me a lot of hope!

BTW, I suffered shin splints when I joined a beginner walking/running group this summer. After I got some cheap orthotics (BFOs) from the podiatrist the pain went away very quickly. I recently got custom orthotics. Hope you feel better soon!
2006-12-17 8:03 PM
in reply to: #625961

User image

Master
VCSharpin - 2006-12-16 7:54 PM

ME!

BTW, this is so funny because it looks like your kid is screaming it.

2007-01-01 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountains of Colorado!
Subject: RE: the bear's Group - FULL!
crap... i would have loved to hang with you guys....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » the bear's Group - FULL! Rss Feed