Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2007-01-17 6:03 PM
in reply to: #625440

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: kmarzano's Group - FULL
Happy Hump day ladies. I'm very excited. Since I'll be starting HIM training in earnest after my marathon in February, I contacted a nutritionist to get some help with my diet. I'll meet with her next Wednesday and then (budget permitting) she would like to do two follow ups--one in March when things get going more seriously for my training and one in May when I'll be in the middle of the height of my training.

I went vegetarian about three months ago and I've really liked it. I haven't noticed a decline in my energy and it's forced me to get much more adventurous and open minded with my food choices.

I'm hoping the nutritionist can help me figure out ways to make the most of not so vegetarian friendly menus when I eat out and help me with making sure I eat an optimal diet for such intense training (particularly my protein needs for muscle recovery). I'll let you know how it goes, but I wanted to go ahead and share because I just scheduled it today and I'm very excited about it.

2007-01-18 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Kelly- that is exciting. I'm sure you'll learn a lot, and definitely let us know how it goes.
I still haven't thought much about my nutrition plan for the coming HIM training, but I can't put it off too much longer. In just a few days, it'll be 6 months to the race.

Anyway, good luck!
2007-01-18 8:29 PM
in reply to: #658963

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
I've never seen a nutritionist before and I always lose a lot of weight at the end of the tri season. And that's just training for the olympic distance. I also feel pretty overwhelmed by the idea of figuring out nutrition for a race of that distance. I think the guidance will really help.

On another note I wanted to let all of you ladies know how awesome I think you're all doing. Everyone is starting to work in some of the different workouts and training you'll need to succeed at a triathlon. I look forward to seeing how everyone progresses.

So what's on the agenda for this weekend? Tri or non-tri related? I'll start. I'm going to the Brew and view with Dan tomorrow night and maybe a couple of friends, long run on Saturday, and on Sunday if I can get the bike in early enough and have enough energy, I'll try to head up and meet Dan and some friends to watch the Bear's game.

Next . . .
2007-01-19 12:27 AM

User image

Eugene, Oregon
Hey everyone!

Weekends don't get very exciting in Eugene. Going to Portland tomorrow for a meeting at Columbia Sportswear. Coming back down to have dinner with a bunch of my law school friends. Saturday morning I have an 80 minute training run with my marathon team. After that I may buy a bike and get some homework done. By Sunday, if I have a bike, it's ride time.

Hope all is well!

K
2007-01-19 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Hey all,
Happy Friday! I'm so glad it's the weekend (almost). I don't have too much planned, just a relaxing night in with Dave tonight- he's supposed to cook me dinner (we'll see if he remembers, though), and I've got a book on hold that's in at the library. Tomorrow, I'll probably run in the am, and Dave and I are planning on going shopping for new running shoes for him. I'm determined to make him into a runner too!
Tomorrow night, we're going to the symphony! Yeah! They're playing the classic Beethoven symphony No. 5, the one everyboby knows the beginning to, and they have a soloist coming in to play the Sibelius violin concerto. Anyone heard that piece? It's one of my favorites- very modern and technical. I'm really looking forward to it. I love getting dressed up to go downtown, and this time I won't have to wear my glasses either!

I noticed that Jennifer (do you prefer Jenn or something else?) and Kristin and I have something else in common- our school/work backgrounds... I just finished my MBA last year, and currently I review a lot of contracts (software licensing, contract labor, etc) at work. (BORING) Luckily, my organization will be restructured within the next few months, so whether I get laid off or not, I'm looking forward to the change.

Anyway, that was random, but I hope you all have a fun weekend.
2007-01-19 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Oooh. A new bike. If you get one I can't wait to hear all about it.

What is everyone else doing?

2007-01-20 8:33 PM

User image

Eugene, Oregon
So, I got fitted for a bike today! Here are the options we came up with in my price range. Opinions and advice welcome and encouraged!

Fugi Women 's Finest 1.0 or 2.0
Fugi Aloha Tri Bike
Fugi Newest 1.0
Bianchi Tiagra
Bianchi Brava
Schwinn Fastback

I am leaning toward the Fugi Newest 1.0. However, I really like the Aloha as well. I'm having the road bike v. tri bike dilemma again. The Women's finest is cool, but it's pink. The frame on the Fugi Newest is the same size, so we figured I'd be ok on it.

Here's the website of for my store: http://www.e-wheelworks.com/road.php

Feel free to take a look there or on Fugi, Bianchi and Schwinn's websites to give me some feedback! I'd love it. Thanks!

I hope all is well!

2007-01-20 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
I know you should never buy gear based on looks but I liked the Fuji bikes. I don't have a ton of input for you since I'm still a novice myself. Here are some things that came up in my own fitting last year, although you may have already considered them.

Road vs. Tri--My coach said I wouldn't really gain time on the run from a tri bike and that I would be more comfortable and efficient during long training rides and races on a road bike.

Double vs. triple crank set-I noticed one of the bikes has only two large chain rings. The type of terrain you'll ride may affect what you choose. Three is good for newer riders or if you ride a lot of hills or varying terrain becaues you can really go into a low gear. There's more risk you'll drop the chain but once you learn to shift more smoothly that's not such a problem anymore.

Women's specific vs. regular--most women don't need women's specific unless they're really petite (which you very well may be). If you like a regular bike and something doesn't quite fit right they may be able to make it women's specific for you. They swapped my seat out for women's specific and put shims in the brakes to make them fit my smaller hands better.

Whatever you choose, I'll be so excited to hear how you like it after you ride it a few times. I'm sure you'll be just as smokin' fast with that as you are with the running and swimming.

Edited by kmarzano 2007-01-20 9:35 PM
2007-01-21 12:49 PM

Oops, I'm a little behind on the "what I'm doing this weekend" post. Went on a really nice hike yesterday in the Malibu State Park. It was just breathtaking to see the views of the oceans and the mountains. Sunday, I'm just planning to do some catch up on work; I have to do a case presentation for my contracts management class.

Kinda on a tangent: It's cool that Linda mentioned that some of us have similar backgrounds. I've been wanting to get an MBA or a JD/MBA (which I think Kristin is doing) for a while, so I'd love to hear more information on that if possible. I'm also wondering what your thoughts are on contracts since I'm graduating this year and I am wondering if that's a good path to go, although I know that those aren't the most exciting...

All those bikes that you're looking at, Kristin, look great to me! I am completely clueless when it comes to bikes and don't know the difference but I am interested to see which one you end up with and how you came to choose it! Good luck!

For my training this week, I plan to do hopefully two swimming workouts because I haven't been in the pool for awhile. So we'll see how that goes!

2007-01-21 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Hello everyone,

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. The brew and view was fun although I suspect it might have been a little more fun if I hadn't had a long run in the morning. I limited myself to one 'brew' and made Dan leave with me partway into the second 'view' because that second movie was just too much for me to handle without any more beverages in my system.

Jenn told us she's going to try to get into the pool a couple of times this week and hopefully Kristin will have a new awesome bike to ride. What does everyone else have on the training agenda this week? Hope everyone is well.

Kelly
2007-01-22 4:20 AM
in reply to: #662657

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hello ladies!

This week I plan to excercise first thing in the morning. I will alternate dynamic stretching and core strength each morning. This week is also the first week I planned my weekly menu.

2007-01-24 3:02 PM

User image

Eugene, Oregon
Hi all! Happy Wednesday!

Kelly asked what I decided on for a bike, so I thought I'd let you all know. I ordered a Fuji Newest 1.0. I won't officially "buy" until I ride it and get fitted, but it's the best I could do on a budget. It's a little heavier than I wanted, but overall not bad for a starter! I can't wait until it comes in! I'd love feedback on what you think of my choice...

Here's a link to a photo: http://www.fujibikes.com/2007/bikes.asp?id=276&subcat=#

Here are the specs:

FRAMESET: Fuji Altair 1 Compact aluminum w/Power Diamond shape down tube, curved seat stay w/rack mount, road dropout w/replaceable derailleur hanger

FORK: FC-990 Fuji Bonded Carbon w/ 1 1/8" Cro-Mo steerer

DRIVETRAIN: FSA Omega MegaExo, w/integrarted spindle, 30/39/50T alloy outer ring, Shimano 105 rear derailleur, Tiagra STI shifter/brake 27-Speed Flight Deck compatible

WHEELS Alex AKX-R1.0

FEATURES: Fuji 6061 Butted Road, 31.8mm Anatomical Drops, Fuji Pro AL forged, Fuji Superlite Micro Adjust alloy, 250mm, Fuji Racing Anatomical saddle

SIZES: S (46cm)

COLOR: scotchbrite, white

WEIGHT: 21.6 lbs / 9.7 kg
2007-01-24 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Congratulations! That's very cool news! I'm really happy for you.

When will it be in?
2007-01-24 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
I just checked it out on-line. Very nice! What made you decide on that particular bike?

I can't wait to hear what you think once you've been fit and had a chance to ride.
2007-01-26 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Hello Ladies,

It's my regular end-of-week post to see how everyone is feeling about their training and to find out what everyone has planned for the weekend (training and non-training related).

I'm going to a movie tonight but planning on getting up early tomorrow to get my workout in and then go up to campus all day to study. Rinse and repeat on Sunday morning. Very exciting isn't it? I hope someone else has something better planned.

Kelly
2007-01-29 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to check in and see what everyone has planned for their training this week. I have my long run (20 miles) scheduled this weekend and it's supposed to be between 10 and 15 degrees for the high with an even colder wind chill. I've currently got a desparate plea into my trainer to move it up to Friday when it is at least supposed to be in the lower 20s. To be quite honest, I've barely though about the rest of it because I'm focusing on how I'll survive three hours in such cold weather. I guess it serves me right for signing up for a February marathon!

I also wanted to see how everyone is feeling about their training. Any goals about when you'd like to have mastered the full distance in the three separate parts of the race? Anything you want us to know about the training you've already done? Thoughts on training you have planned? Questions? Comments? Concerns? Races you've done or will do? Anything?

Seriously though, I hope all is well and please keep the group posted on how things are going, training and otherwise. The more we know the more we can support each other.

Kelly

2007-01-30 3:53 AM
in reply to: #672062

User image

Extreme Veteran

kmarzano - 2007-01-30 1:58 AM Hello everyone, 

I also wanted to see how everyone is feeling about their training. Any goals about when you'd like to have mastered the full distance in the three separate parts of the race?

Dear Kelly, first of all I want to thank you for your inspiring questions, they make me think about my training plans in allways new perspective and renewned excitement.

I covered swimming distance, starting 30/30 plan in friday, 5K plan 4 weeks after that and 10k plan 8 weeks after that, so in 20 weeks - until end of June, I plan to cover running distance. I don't have any plans for biking until I finish 5k running plan.

2007-02-02 5:35 AM

London

Good Morning!

Thought I would participate in the general discussion a bit more - I apologise for my inactivity but I have limited internet access (only access at work) so I am trying to keep my usage to a minimum

So it's already February, how did you guys feel about January?

Monthly assessment time: 

I think January went pretty well -  better than expected. It feels good to slowly build an exercise routine again. I've set myself a bunch of goals for February - let's see if I can live up to them :?

I want to thank all of you for your encouragements and for the interest you've guys have taken in my training - it truly is very inspiring to know somebody is watching over your shoulder! and I am amazed by all of you and your level of commitment, you all inspire me work just that bit harder.  

Pre-emptiving Kelly's question I am just wondering what people's plans are for the weekend? I'll apparently be going bike shopping as I have now officially wreaked my old one.. any suggestions: budget 200-300 - could be stretched to 400£; preferably a hybrid or mountain bike (I have a road bike already).

Under the condition I actually buy a bike I'll probably go for a nice long ride tomorrow or Sunday to try it out

What are you guys up to?

What are you guys up to?
2007-02-02 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Hello Stine,

I'm so glad to hear that the forum and just being on BT in general is helping with your training. That was one of the goals of starting the mentor thing, and I'm not quite certain what everyone needs to help them the most, so I'm glad to hear it is working for someone. And I echo Stine's question, how is everyone feeling about their January training? What are your hopes for February? What have been your biggest challenges? Greatest accomplishments?

I'm sorry your bike finally rode its last mile, but I'm absolutely certain it had a good life. As far as purchasing a new one, when I originally went shopping many moons ago, before I got my road bike, I needed a good all purpose bike. Sturdy enough for city riding, but preferrably not too heavy or cumbersome for carrying up and down apartment stairs, etc. They suggested a hybrid. I rode it for four years, including three triathlons before I got my new one and it was a little heavy for races, but overall an excellent all around bike that I still have a soft spot for. Not sure if that helps you or not . . . but that was my experience.

Thanks for getting a 'What's planned for the weekend?' post out there as well. With the superbowl this weekend and the chicago bears playing, I'll be taking it easy with my training (short ride and run) and then joining Dan at some friends' house to watc the game on Sunday night. I'm not a bears fan but there is so much bears craziness around here you almost have to join it.

What is everyone else up to?
2007-02-02 10:57 AM

I don't really have anything planned this weekend, except for study study study. I might go mountain biking on Saturday and perhaps a short workout on Sunday, but other than that I'll be holed up inside my tiny room.

I'm sorry to hear about your bike, but I'm sure you'll certainly find something fitting. Please let us know how that goes!
2007-02-02 12:11 PM
in reply to: #676853

User image

Extreme Veteran

kmarzano - 2007-02-02 5:39 PM

how is everyone feeling about their January training? What are your hopes for February? What have been your biggest challenges? Greatest accomplishments?

I write month recap and monthly goals every month in detail so I will try to be more concese here. I'm surprised I did so little but try to move on. It was becouse I'm in burnout mode again. This group helps me to keep my head above the water and to preserve my determination. I strongly believe that I can do this for the first time in my life.

Biggest challenge was to go swimming! I just didn't!!  Can't explain why. Accomplishment of month was to finnaly end the struggle and finish our living room. That was troubling me a lot, now it is finnaly over. I'm totaly exosted but it was worth it.

My hopes for February.... to survive, I admit. Too many things on my plate for too long. I need to take my time for everything and relax.

What is everyone else up to?

Tommorow morning I'm sewing my new orange curtains for my living room. Then I plan to start my 30/30 running program. After that to prepare room for my sister who is visiting me next Friday.

Sunday is swimming time! I plan to rest and get well since next week is tough week at work. But I'm not quite sure I will resist temptation to start decluttering computer room.

Wish you all great weekend!

2007-02-05 8:17 AM

London

Really quick update; congrates with the Superbowl, Kelly, I assume you support the Bears and not the Colts (?)

Good to see a bit of activity (or lots in some cases) on the blogs - although I don't always comment, I do check

Good news: I have a new bike, I'm super excited I did a couple of long-ish rides over the weekend, think I might be up for a really long one next weekend if the weather stays nice: )

For all of the details see my blog entry.

2007-02-05 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Congratulations on your new bike Stine!!! That's awesome. I wish I had a new bike . . . (sigh).

How was everyone else's weekend? What does everyone planned for training this week? I'll put up my planned training very shortly but yesterday and today have been hectic. Because it was so cold and the game got over so late last night, I stayed at Dan's and he brought me into work this morning. I've had no internet access since yesterday morning and have been working frantically to finish the quarterly report for the grant agency today. What I think should be the final copy is now sitting on my boss's desk awaiting the gold star of good work.

I'll put in my planned training some time tonight, but I can happily report it will be much less that the previous weeks as I finally start my taper for the marathon (phew).

I hope everyone else had a wonderful weekend and I can't wait to hear about it!!

Kelly
2007-02-06 6:36 AM
in reply to: #680135

User image

Extreme Veteran

Stine, congratulations on great new bike!!

Kelly, weekend went well, tnx for asking. Sunday swimming was so nice. It was very nice weather and half of pool was sunbathing - I need to start wearing tinted googles already!  So relaxing.

I'm so excited to see my sister who is coming from Canada this Friday!

I plan to continue my 30/30 running plan this week, and do strength excercises at least twice. I didn't set up my mind to go swimming before work yet. I also plan to join 3 club this Friday when they have annual meeting if my sister will want to rest after so long jurney. What a coincidence.

2007-02-06 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Sounds like a great plan Sanja. Have fun with your sister.

I have wonderful news ladies. I entered the Escape from Alcatraz random drawing a couple of months ago figuring I would never win. I got an e-mail a few days ago indicating they had drawn my name and I can participate in the race!!! I'm so excited and so nervous at the same time. I just registered so now it's real. My hand was shaking when I clicked submit on the screen. The website it below. Check it out if you're interested.

http://www.tricalifornia.com/alcatraz/2007/index.htm

I hope everyone's week has started well.

K.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kmarzano's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 7