BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri-Meds FORMERLY medic0020's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-01-30 10:58 AM
in reply to: #625446

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: Tri-Meds FORMERLY medic0020's Group - FULL
It's -5 w/ the wind chill here in WI today...and I have to go swimming (lessons)!  I just sit in the hot tub for about 15 minutes afterwards, though, and warm up...

2007-01-31 7:39 PM
in reply to: #670619

User image

Chicagoland
medic0020 - 2007-01-28 5:24 PM

It's almost the end of January---curious how everybody did in meeting their goals for this month.

Well, now that the month is about over, here are my totals:
Bike: 2h 15m
Run: 3h 10m 54s - 16.42 Mi
Swim: 3h 25m - 6550 Yd

I looked back to the post I gave when I joined the mentor group and here's what I wrote:
Mary_B - 2007-01-01 10:20 AM

My goals for January are to:
- Develop a consistant, planned exercise program and work out 3-4 days per week
- Develop a meal plan and eat out a maximum of 1 time per week.
- Focus on swimming correctly with rotary breathing. By the end of January I would like to be able to swim 4 laps with proper breathing and without stopping.
- Work on flexibility. I currently have none, so anything I do will be an improvement

How cool is it to look back at that!

-I have been consistant with working out and I have definately met the 3-4 times a week goal!
-I'm not so great with the meal plan, but I have been watching what I eat and I don't think I've eaten out more than once or twice in any week.
-I ~SMASHED~ my swimming goal. I went from barely able to do 1 lap at the beginning of this month to doing 800yds straight last week!
-I have stretched almost every day this month. I went from needing to loop a towel around my feet to strech my hamstrings when both my legs were straight in front of me to easily being able to hold onto my feet. I feel more flexible and relaxed when I stretch now!

I addition to those goals that I had written down, last week I managed to run a 5k without having to stop and walk. This is a first for me. I was so excited.

Since it was so nice to look back at my January goals and see how far I've come, I want to make some Febraury goals. There's just something about writing it down here that makes me feel more accountable.

February Goals:
-Continue to workout consistantly ~ at least 4 times a week.
-Continue to watch what I eat, especially at work. Go out to eat no more than once a week.
-Be able to run 5k in 34 minutes
-Ride exercise bike or do spin class twice a week
-Swim 1000 yds without stopping and be able to swim 1500 yds in a single workout.
-Continue to stretch and improve my flexibility.

Some of these goals seem a little out of my reach in 4 short weeks, but I figure it doesn't do me any good to write a goal that will be easy.

Thanks for the support and the accountability!

(oh and before I forget, (as if this wasn't a long enough post,) how do people change the colors and fonts and put lines through the things they post? I'm just curious.)
2007-02-06 2:27 PM
in reply to: #670619

User image

Pro
Without house

medic0020 - 2007-01-28 5:24 PM It's almost the end of January---curious how everybody did in meeting their goals for this month. How's everybody else feeling?

Ok, so, it's past the end of January.   But, here I am, finally following up...

This was my goal for January:

What I will concentrate on in January:
**I'm at the complete bottom when it comes to all the disciplines...really. I would say I'm going to concentrate most on the swim portion in January and into February. I've signed up for adult swim lessons that start the 2nd week of January. I figure the swim is the one part where I could really die (ie, drown), so I'd better start working on that ASAP. I would just like to be able to swim w/ my face in the water without hyperventilating.

Goal ACCOMPLISHED.  I do not hyperventilate while my face is in the water, provided I have goggles on.  Don't get me wrong, I suck in plenty of water, but at least I can actually do it.  It's a slow progression for me.

I've been having a lot of problems w/ fatigue lately. Basically, once I get home, if I don't immediately start doing something, I fall asleep.  I'm tired all day long and it's made me choose not to do workouts, which is just ridiculous and self-defeating.   So, talked to my doc about it at my physical today and have labs scheduled for tomorrow to check for anemia and my thyroid function, along with other, more routine stuff (cholesterol, etc).

My goals for February:

• Swimming-be able to swim 25 yds w/o stopping, and move up to 50 by the end of the month
  • Biking-just spend time in the saddle.  My new bike is coming shortly, and I have a trainer now, so I can ride inside
  • Running-I haven't done ANY in the past couple weeks.  Maybe I'll find a 5k coming up and focus on that
  • Start a Sprint program by mid-Feb.  I'm looking at the 20 week one on this site.  My first tri is in July, so that should work out well.
2007-03-18 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Tri-Meds FORMERLY medic0020's Group - OPEN
Hey guys--I've been trying to check in on everyone's progress via daily reports. I feel like I'm not doing much to help though. What else would you like to see us do to encourage each other?

Here's what I've been up to--
I had my first race of the season last Sat (10th)--a sprint tri (1:24:42). Last Sat, I ran my first ever 4 mile race (39:42) which was far better than my goal of 42:00. This Saturday, I'm taking on my first duathlon. I'm a little nervous about the 2nd 5k as my run always sucks. That's really where I struggle. I'm supposed to race in my first 10mile time trial of the year on 4/3 and still wavering on my first half-mary on 4/14. My next tri is scheduled for 5/12 (another sprint)

Goals for April--
Work on my distance swims. Move up from 600 yds to 1000yds so I'll feel more comfortable over the 750 yd swim distance

Focus on getting in more 10k runs in preparation for my first Olympic in June. Continue to add in speed and hill work to try to increase my speed some

Spend some time and energy really getting used to the Aero Position on my new bike (used Trek Equinox 7). Make the most of my training time and build some more strength.

Hope your race prep is going well...
2007-03-21 2:01 PM
in reply to: #727606

User image

St. Petersburg, Fl
Hi, I see your headline says this group is Open. I was wondering if you'd be interested in taking on another "young grasshoppa" to inspire and encourage. I'm not a medical person like many of you seem to be...not sure if that's a stipulation for the group. I work for a commercial photography company as a digital photo retoucher...and all around digital creative. I'm 3 weeks away from no longer being in my twenties...but since all my half-marathon training, I'm probably in the best shape of my life.

I'm signed up for my first Tri April 14th (day after b-day)...Escape From Ft. Desoto in St. Petersburg, Fl. I've been running a lot the last 4 months as I was training for the Sarasota half-marathon which took place a couple weeks ago. Now I want to see what I can do on the bike and in the water. I've done lots of running lately, but haven't really done any swimming or serious biking. Just looking to get going right so I'm not completely unprepared for the tri. I'm a good swimmer, technique-wise (i think), not so sure about the swim stamina though. The tri swim is a half mile.

2007-03-21 2:57 PM
in reply to: #731991

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Sarasota is a great area. I dated someone who lived near Siesta Key when I was in college.

Welcome to the group. For the most part, I think we keep track of each other via our daily inspires rather than this forum.

A couple of questions for you--What can we do to help you the most? Advice or just an extra push to keep going? What are your goals for this year?

2007-03-21 3:10 PM
in reply to: #732080

User image

St. Petersburg, Fl
medic0020 - 2007-03-21 3:57 PM

Sarasota is a great area. I dated someone who lived near Siesta Key when I was in college.

Welcome to the group. For the most part, I think we keep track of each other via our daily inspires rather than this forum.

A couple of questions for you--What can we do to help you the most? Advice or just an extra push to keep going? What are your goals for this year?

Thanks so much, I appreciate the response. Not sure what the daily inspires are yet, but I'll seek that out.

To answer your questions: I'm certainley looking for that extra push to keep going. I've gone (going) through a very difficult breakup with my gf of 4 years, who is (was) also my training partner. Not many friends of mine are into this stuff like I am. So yes, motivation is definately something I'm searching for. I tend to stick with things more when I have someone other than myself to be accountable to. And as a newbie to the Tri scene, I'm certainley open to any advice that might come my way. As I mentioned in my last post, I'm getting ready to do my very first tri in a few weeks, so I'm a little nervous about that....the process of it all...transitions, etc... Also, not sure of the best way to train the next few weeks, since it is right around the corner. I've looked at lots of training schedules, but they all seem to be for 13 weeks and longer. I'm pretty good with the running aspect at this point, because that's really all I've been doing the past few months. I need to figure out where I stand as far as the swim goes. The bike I'm not that worried about...at least as distance is concerned. I have a decent road bike (not tri), but don't have aero bars for it yet. I think I'll be ok though.
2007-03-21 3:16 PM
in reply to: #732103

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
When you look at your training log, you'll see inspires on each day. It's a way you can go in and post comments on someone's else log, and we can do the same for you. On your control panel, you can add friends to your list to make it easier to find the people you regularly check in with.

I'd make a serious effort to get into the pool, or preferably open-water if that's what you're doing for the race. I'd even try to do a time trial one day soon (like this week if possible) to see how you handle the race distance at the speed you hope to use on race day. The swim can be the toughest part of your day because there's no way to "fake" it. You can always slow down on the bike or walk on the run if need be. I'd also recomend some bricks--do a 30-45 bike ride followed by a 10 minute run. It's a very weird feeling when you do it the first time. It takes some practice to anticipate how your legs will feel coming off the bike.

Hope this gets you started.

Eric
2007-03-21 5:26 PM
in reply to: #732127

User image

St. Petersburg, Fl
medic0020 - 2007-03-21 4:16 PM

When you look at your training log, you'll see inspires on each day. It's a way you can go in and post comments on someone's else log, and we can do the same for you. On your control panel, you can add friends to your list to make it easier to find the people you regularly check in with.

I'd make a serious effort to get into the pool, or preferably open-water if that's what you're doing for the race. I'd even try to do a time trial one day soon (like this week if possible) to see how you handle the race distance at the speed you hope to use on race day. The swim can be the toughest part of your day because there's no way to "fake" it. You can always slow down on the bike or walk on the run if need be. I'd also recomend some bricks--do a 30-45 bike ride followed by a 10 minute run. It's a very weird feeling when you do it the first time. It takes some practice to anticipate how your legs will feel coming off the bike.

Hope this gets you started.

Eric

Great advice Eric. Thanks a lot. That will definately help me get the ball rolling in this new direction. For the time trial...Is that just going out and doing each event consecutively that's in the actual race? The bike/run bricks is definately something I need to start doing. I haven't done that yet so I really don't know the feeling of running after a bike.

Thanks again.

-Chris-
2007-03-22 5:59 PM

St Pete, Florida
Hi everyone! I saw OPEN, so I was hoping it was true and I could join the group. I am in my second year doing triathlons and would love to help keep everyone motivated and hope others can keep me motivated and doing my workouts

I'll leave it at that until I know for sure I can join. Look forward to it!!
2007-03-22 6:19 PM

St Pete, Florida
Hey Everyone! I just got a message from Eric saying I'm in! So... A little about myself.

I'm a 34 year old Air Force pilot instructing new pilot wannabes down here in Corpus Christi, TX. My wife is also an instructor pilot and yes, she outranks me Currently, I am also taking 2 Master's classes in photography, (yes, they have Master's in photography), and besides flying almost daily, I also have an office job that keeps me VERY busy.

As for my Tri-background; I bought a cheap road bike about 2.5 years ago and road it a little, but the bug didn't bite. Last year, I was still looking for something that would inspire me to get off my lazy bum, so I decided to do a triathlon!

After the Capital of Texas mini-sprint, I was hooked! I just did my first Sprint of '07 last weekend and had my best times yet! I'm excited and can't wait to do some more.

My goals are:

1. Work out!!! (This is my biggest problem. I need accountability and people who won't let me off the hook!)
2. Austin Olympic Triathlon on Sep 3rd. (not sure about goal times, etc...)
3. Try-out for the Air Force Triathlon team in '08 or '09. Not sure I could improve THAT much over the next year. We'll see.

I will look back over the messages already posted and look forward to meeting and providing motivation and support to the rest of you!

Andy

2007-03-28 4:41 AM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii
Jumping in late...but if this group is still open I'd like to join.  I'm a Fire Fighter/Paramedic in Hawaii, so I think this is the group for me.  Please let me know if there's space available.
2007-03-30 6:31 PM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks for the invite to the group Eric.  I am a 32 yo clydesdale, fire fighter/paramedic who started running again 7 months ago. 

As most of you can attest, you can really pack on the pounds while working in EMS.  I went from a 165 pound army medic 10 years ago to a 230 pound beast.  I've decided to take better care of myself and set a goal of running triathlons to help.  My plan is to start w/ endurance running events and if my interest remains buy a tri geometry bike at the end of the year and race a 1/2 IM next year.  Since being a lifeguard is a requirement of my job now I have continued to swim off and on for years.

My goals for this year is to run a sub 4 hour marathon....hopefully the Kona Marathon in June.  Also to finish the remaining three marathons on my schedule w/o injury and while having fun.  My first marathon was grueling because I trained for aerobic capacity and weight loss, so while I was able to run a sub 4 marathon on a treadmill and flat track, I actually ran a 5 hour marathon on a hilly rain forest course because of cramps.

Wish me luck...and help me stay motivated please.

Aloha-

Mike

Edited by kinaiahi 2007-03-30 6:32 PM
2007-04-01 8:34 PM

User image

Hi everyone, I would be delighted to join your group! I have been reading the past posts and like the friendly and supportive nature of this group.

As for me, I recently moved from Washington, DC back home to Minnesota. I'm thrilled to be back and got home in time to enjoy our beautiful summers!!! I am a 25y.o. professional male. I am not a Dr., paramedic, etc, but was employed as a health care consultant after graduating from college. I recently accepted a job offer from Thomson West Publishing, so my life will soon become much more busy. That is one reason I want to join the group- to have the motivation/support to train when things get hectic.

In terms of athletecism, I am fairly good shape (5'8'', 151lbs) but want to be healthier than I ever have before. After graduating from college when I was consulting, there was no time to work out (that's what they all say) combined with a lack of motivation (the truth). About a year ago I was not happy with myself for falling into that trap, so started training for some running races. I competed in a few races in DC and had an enjoyable time. Since I have a few friends who compete in Tri's, I thought it would be great opportunity to give it a shot. My weakest event is shopping! I mean, I can shop about 50 yards before resting. I'm a good shopaholic, but do not have the motivation and endurance to train. SO, I PROMISE TO HELP MOTIVATE OTHERS IN THIS GROUP, IF I CAN ASK FOR SOME ENCOURAGEMENT FROM TRI-MEDS MEMBERS .

Ok, sorry for the long post, but its Sunday and R&R day.

Oh, I forgot to mention my goals, but I think I will save that until after I am invited to join the group *hint, hint*
2007-04-02 10:55 AM

St Pete, Florida
Welcome guys! I'm new as well. It seems most of us keep in touch by going to each-others training log page and messaging in the 'inspire me' post. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Andy
2007-04-02 7:15 PM
in reply to: #744870

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Evan,
Welcome to the group. As Andy mentioned, we're not the best group for posting on here. We tend to spend more time in the daily inspires. Tell us a little about your goals.

2007-04-02 9:00 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Tri-Meds FORMERLY medic0020's Group - CLOSED
Hey everyone, I am thrilled to be joining the group. I will write tomorrow about my current training regimen (sp?) and my goals. I have a question/issue and have a feeling someone else has encountered this.

Q: Since I started working out/training more intensely than I have in years, I found that I am always very hungry, especially at night and in the morning. I usually eat dinner around 5:30 and go to the gym around 7. By the time I get home, I am SOOO hungry. I am probably the most incompetent person when it comes to nutrition, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

A couple of other things to note: when I don't eat something w/ substance (a mini-dinner) when I get home from the gym, I tend to snack until around mid-night when I go to bed. Also, when I don't have my mini-dinner and just snack, I usually wake up very hungry.

Today I purchased Ensure shakes and Slim Fast High Protein "Meal on-the-go" bars. I didn't know what else to do.

Ahhhhh...help
2007-04-03 6:53 PM

St Pete, Florida
Evan,

I've run into this too! I actually talked to a nutritionist, but don't just take my word for it.

The key is to eat more often, but lighter. I eat 6-7 'meals' a day. Now when I say 'meal', it isn't what you're thinking. I always eat a breakfast and that's important. I eat cereal and coffee and maybe juice. I usually then workout then eat a Kashi granola type bar and drink a chocolate milk and/or gatorade or something similar. That's 'meal' 2. Lunch comes next.

In the afternoon, I try and eat another 'meal'. Usually its another bar or a banana and some almonds or something. Dinner comes next and I'm starting to eat smaller dinners than I'm used to eating. A couple hours later I'll eat another 'meal'. For me that may be some toast with peanut butter or some yogurt or something.

I almost always have chocolate milk (almost perfect carb/protein combo!) or my favorite mix (accelerade) after a workout.

I don't know if that will work for you, but.....

Anyway, that's my take with a nutritionist!

Andy
2007-04-04 12:36 PM

User image

That was the way I also had to go to because I was allways hungery. Sorry I beeen gone, My dad had no internet So I'm week behand on entry and a race report, did well and had a ton of fun, can't wait for the next one. I try to get back to guys in a few days. keep up the hard work.

Kevin
2007-04-04 5:44 PM

User image

So I promised I would put my goals/events for 2007 on the discussion forum. Here they are...

~Be in the best physical (and mental) shape of my life. Look n' feel great!
~Eat healthier and learn about nutrition
~Complete my first Tri
~Complete my first marathon

~Irish for a Day 5K (Complete. 24m, 14s; 7:50 pace)
~Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon (4/15/07; 10m swim, 20m run, 30 cycle)
~Earth Day 1/2 Maratho Relay (4/21/07; 6m and 7m splits)
~MN Ironman Bike Ride (4/29/07; 30, 62, and 100 mile courses. I will do the 30 since I still don't have my own bike and have only been on a road bike 1 time as of 4/4/07)
~Manitou Tri (6/10/07; my first true triathlon!!!)
~New York Marathon (11/4/07)

Now that I lay my calendar out, I feel the need to add one or two events in May (not registered for anything yet), a race in late June, one or two July events (not registered for anything in july yet), one in August (I have committments 2, possibly 3 weekends in Aug), and a couple of longer running races in Sept in preparation for the November 4th NYC marathon).

Dinner time!!
2007-04-05 9:34 AM

User image

Chicagoland

Hi Everyone,

I fell off the face of the earth for a few weeks, but I'm back.  The weather here is just awful!  Flurries yesterday with a windchill of 13.   I can't wait for spring!  DH and I are taking the bikes into the shop for a spring tune-up today. 

Welcome to the group Chris, Andy, Mike, and Evan!

2007-04-05 10:46 AM
in reply to: #750007

User image

St. Petersburg, Fl
Mary_B - 2007-04-05 10:34 AM

Hi Everyone,

I fell off the face of the earth for a few weeks, but I'm back.  The weather here is just awful!  Flurries yesterday with a windchill of 13.   I can't wait for spring!  DH and I are taking the bikes into the shop for a spring tune-up today. 

Welcome to the group Chris, Andy, Mike, and Evan!

Thanks for the welcome Mary. And welcome back yourself. Yeah, weather's just horrible here too...low 80's, windchill as low as 78, sunny, slight breeze....yuck, just horrible...hehe. Sorry about that. I'm not very nice.
2007-04-07 11:17 AM

St Pete, Florida
I can't say anything about the weather today! It's in the upper 40's and raining! No riding outside, today How's everyone doing? I had my rest week last week, but got off my but this week to continue my workouts.

That's always been the hardest for me. I'll do well for a couple weeks, then quit! Thanks for the posts on my workouts everyone! It helps.

Andy
2007-04-07 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
I'm back-----and with a new training partner

Coming soon to a race near you--Madison Grace Medic0020. Born 4/4/07, weighing in at an Athena-like 8lbs, 15 oz and 21 inches long. Thanks for everyone's words of support and congratulations. We're all home safe and sound.
2007-04-07 3:55 PM

User image

Pro
Without house

CONGRATULATIONS ERIC AND MRS. MEDIC0020!!!

Yay for little baby girls!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri-Meds FORMERLY medic0020's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 4