BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri-Meds FORMERLY medic0020's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-04-07 6:39 PM
in reply to: #752456

User image

Chicagoland
Subject: RE: Tri-Meds FORMERLY medic0020's Group - CLOSED

Happy Birthday Madison Grace!

Congratulations to the Medic0020 family!

2007-04-10 9:57 PM
in reply to: #625446

User image

Hey everyone, I'm doing the Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon on Sunday. I lucked out and they offered a swim lesson last Saturday morning. After the lesson with the National Aquatics Director, he e-mailed us with a summary of the main points. I have pasted it below. I know this is probably vague since you all didn't attend the clinic, so please let me know if you have questions regarding any of the bullet points. Last, the most important thing I learned is that the arm entering the water to begin the stroke must be opposite to the leg that is kicking (i.e., left arm, right leg kick). I certainly did not know this and neither did anyone else in the class. I still do not have this down and have been working on right hand, left leg until it becomes a habit. Then I will work on left arm, right leg. Then both!!! Give it a shot if you do not already do this.

RECAP OF CLINIC

Keys to swimming:

Efficiency – moving through the water with the least resistance possible.
Effectiveness – maximizing your push on the water as well as the coordination of your legs and arms.

Position – Head to toe: “ponytail”, shoulder, hip, feet; all balanced at the water’s surface
Extension – Front to back: maximum wing span
Rotation – Shoulder over shoulder; remember to establish proper position and extension every rotation
Propulsion – Push/Press on the water; time the arms (either entry or push) with the down beat of the kick

Swimming drills:

Arms at your side, kick on your side, face in the water, rotate the head (chin) to breathe (Position)
One arm extended, kick on your side, face in the water, and rotate the head (chin) to breathe (Extension)
One arm freestyle – one arm at your side, rotate to breathe (Rotation)
Catch up freestyle, where the recovering hand touches the extended hand to start each stroke – Upon hand entry, opposite foot simultaneously strikes a downbeat (Propulsion)

Indoor Triathlon Strategies and Suggestions

Follow the line (no need to work on sighting)
Count your strokes (you will be able to identify when you are becoming less efficient and/or less effective)
Use the walls (extend and “streamline” when you push off the walls); this will allow for fast and “resting” movement

I hope this helps
2007-04-16 2:14 PM

User image

St. Petersburg, Fl
Triathlon number 1; In the books!!! I had no idea how much fun this race would be. I had an absolute blast out there. Going into it, I was pretty nervous about the swim, but once I was in the water, everything felt great...other than the one time I was submerged about three feet below the surface by someone who decided better to just go over me...Hell, even that was fun. I appreciate the support and advice I've been getting from you guys. It's been invaluable. Now that my first is done, I have some times to try and beat for next month's race. #2 here I come.

My stats are in the race log if anyone's interested.

Cheers!

Edited by empyre180 2007-04-16 2:17 PM
2007-04-17 1:56 AM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii
Great job on your first race!!!!
2007-04-19 8:25 PM

User image

Hey everyone, I thought I would post my first tri results. It was an indoor tri at the health club. I finished 67th out of 113 overall.

Here is how it worked...

10 minute swim -- 14 lengths
10 minute transition
30 minute bike -- 12.1 miles
5 minute transition
20 minute run -- 2.13 miles

Next year I am going to finish in the top 15. GURANTEED. Haha. It was a great time and I can't wait to do an outdoor. Only downside, I left my bike shoes and they were never turned in

EvAn
2007-04-25 4:44 PM

User image

St. Petersburg, Fl
Subject: Race Pics
Hey guys. I just posted a few pics from my first tri...proof I really did it!! Not sure how you access it, but I created an album called "my first tri" if anyone's interested.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying motivated.

2007-06-05 9:35 PM
in reply to: #776697

User image

Subject: RE: Race Pics
how is everyone doing w/ early season races? I did my first tri on sunday- it was a blast. take a look at my race log if interested.

Keep working hard everyone!
2007-06-06 1:11 AM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii

Things are going well w/ my running.  I took a couple days off on vacation...I'm on my taper for my next marathon anyway.

I need some help though.  I'm going to be buying a tribike real soon and have narrowed down my options to either the Specialized Transition Comp or the Cannondale Slice 3 Aero.  My friends ride cannondale and like the service and reliability of the company. However they all like the new transition line.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Mike

2007-06-06 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Let's see--it's June 6th and so far this year I've finished  2 sprints, my first duathlon, my first half-mary, and this past weekend my first Oly.  I've got a 10mile bike time trial tonight and Sprint#3 in 10 days.  It's been a busy season so far, but I'm enjoying it.

2007-12-27 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Everyone,
I wish I had asked to join your group. I am a non working RN. Wish I was back into my career. Currently a stay at home mom and I really miss the medical field you all are inspiring to me. I also really love this sport. Karen
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri-Meds FORMERLY medic0020's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 4