BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CBarnes's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-12-29 3:25 PM
in reply to: #625448

Subject: RE: CBarnes's Group - Full
Good luck on your 5K run! When is it; we'll want to hear how it went!
I think it's OK to move your goals around a bit. It wouldn't be worth it to run the 1/2 marathon and be disappointed in your performance; better to pick the 5K and set an achievable but challenging goal. Sometimes you find a new talent that you never knew existed (I had some goals in foil that I could never reach and was frustrated; switched to epee and am enjoying fencing more and having some pretty good results. For running, perhaps you'll find out you're fast at the shorter distances; at the minimum this is more experience in the big events that you can use when you do the other events you're aiming for). 1/2 Marathon will be there next year if you still want to go for it, and meanwhile you can see what tripped you up in training this year and improve on it next time.

2006-12-31 6:32 PM

Happy New Year to everyone in the group! It's already been fun and inspiring cyber-training with you these past few weeks, and I'm looking forward to more of the same in 2007!
2006-12-31 10:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Happy New year to you all, I hope you all had a great Christmas. Let me be the first to set a few "Resolutions"....

1) Get more structured and consistent in my workouts

2) Run my first 5k race on St Paddies Day--less than 30 Minutes

3) Find a 10K race to run before my Tri in Jun

4) Complete my first triathlon.

Thank you all for keeping me motivated and on track.

------

"Each day is a stepping stone towards tomorrow. How high can you stack your stones?"
2007-01-01 8:15 PM
in reply to: #635134

New user

Wendy

How often are you completing this swim workout? Swimming is the most frustrating of the three sports and just want to make improvements. I am going to try your suggested workout tomorrow.

Happy New Yr.

LHS
2007-01-02 10:28 AM
in reply to: #638644

Reno, NV
LHS,
I come from a swim background so I am probably over training for the swim. For me, it's the part I really enjoy. Below is a workout that I am currently doing 2x a week. I also do a 3rd shorter workout that uses different swim strokes.

I recommend swimming 50 yards to get your time and then adjust this workout accordingly. For example, on 1:40 means you should swim the 75 yards in about 1:25-1:30 and have 10-15 seconds to rest before starting again. Always allow for 10-15 seconds of rest between each set of laps. It took me a couple of workouts to find the right time.

Quantity - Distance
2-400
1-50: pull drill (paddle, bouy or no kick)
4-75: on 1:40
1-100: pull drill (paddle, bouy or no kick)
6-50: on 1:10
1-150: pull drill (paddle, bouy or no kick)
8-25: on 0:35
1-200: pull drill (paddle, bouy or no kick)

Adjust quantites and time for what fits you. This workout is a total of 2100 yards. I recommend keeping the pull drills in between as it gives you some recovery from the "sprints". If you want help getting it adjusted, let me know.

Wendy
2007-01-03 9:26 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Wendy thanks for the drill set most of us need help in the water.

2007-01-03 9:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
OK, so after working out today, I decided to inflate the 65cm Exercise ball I purchased. Can I count that as a workout???? I think I was more tired after filling that up than I was after spinning.
2007-01-04 8:08 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
I do not think the filling of the ball will count but when you use the ball you can log it under sports/ Pilates

2007-01-05 7:38 AM

Finally getting over being sick. Can really use some guidance or advice with regards to a swimming program. I have not doen waht I would call real swimming in quite some time. I am doing an open water swim in July for an olympic distnace race in Wisconsin. Any help will be appreciated.

2007-01-05 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
GUESS WHAT!!!!! Its snowing in Colorado again.....I am hoping my spin class isn't cancelled this afternoon. And my LSR tomorrow is not gonna be all that fun. I think the high temp is supposed to be around between 30 and 35 degrees in the snow.
2007-01-05 11:00 AM

Reno, NV
I can relate. Reno has ice/snow everywhere right now. I was really looking forward to an outside bike and run tonight or tomorrow. I'm starting to get treadmill blues.

I don't currently have a trainer at home for my bike so I've been going to spinning classes at the gym. I'd like to start riding my bike to get used to it again so I'm looking for a trainer. Can anyone recommend a good trainer that's priced betwee $100-$200? If nothing else, adivce on what to look for would be nice.

Wendy

2007-01-05 8:03 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Warrior start your swim routine as you would any other one take it slow see what you are able to do now then build slowly. The site should have some good articles on swimming search in the articles and in the forums be sure you are able to comfortably do the open water distance in open water prior to the tri.
2007-01-05 8:54 PM
in reply to: #643438

New user

Wendy

We are moving to RENO this summer (July) and will be there for 2-3 yrs. You will have to give me the scoop on tri-training in the area.

I have an simple Kinetic trainer by Kurt (see link) http://www.kurtkinetic.com/cyclones.php

I really enjoy the trainer and it is great anytime: bad weather and when it is to dark to ride. I also bought a cycleops (15-$20) to stabilize the front wheel and raise it for hill simulation.

I have my trainer in front of the TV and usually watch a Ravens game (crushing the Steelers), watch a movie and crank up the IPOD. Many complain about the boredom but I think it is all mental and once you ride on it for an hour you will be hooked.

Lee
2007-01-05 10:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
A good place to look for a trainer is on Ebay (if you are comfortable shopping online) They have several different models ranging in price from around $70-$200.
2007-01-06 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Running Question....

My Tri is in June, How long should I continue to Base Train before I start some speed work? I know I shouldnt do speed work for more than 4-6 weeks at a time, but I was thinking of breaking up the next 5 months by doing a 4 week speed training schedule, followed another base session until 8 weeks prior to the race. Then I would do a 6 week speed program followed by 2 week taper before the race.

thanks

Sarge
2007-01-10 10:13 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Just wanted to let everyone know I will be away this weekend My Wife, Daughter, and I will be heading to Houston for a 5K It will be their first and I will be attempting to set a PR. Keep up the hard work you are doing a great job if you start to feel your motivation slip then search for a race and sign ups for it I find that once the money is spent the motivation returns.

2007-01-10 10:22 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
AFSGT,
Based on your goals to do a Sprint in March and to not worry about being competitive this year I would not encourage speed work at all. With that said it depends on your physical condition I can not tell fro your logs how comfortable you are running now if you are covering the distance with no leg pain and are finding yourself un-challenged then add one speed session per week but do not add more than that. I tried to add speed to soon and ended up aggregating my shins. For more input you may want to ask this question in the triathlon talk forum.

Clifford
2007-01-14 7:55 AM
in reply to: #650087

Reno, NV
Thanks for the input on the bike trainer. It should arrive tomorrow!

Now I need help running... For Christmas, I received a heart rate monitor and it's really confused me on my training. Before the heart rate monitor I was running 12 minute miles. Now that I am constantly monitoring what zone I'm in, I'm running closer to 14 minute miles. Last week I ran 3.5 miles and it took me 52 minutes. I was making sure I kept my HR below 80%. However, when I finished I wasn't even winded. Everything I read says it's bad to have your HR over 80% for long periods of time. I'm having a hard time running my usual pace and keeping it under 80%. This is all frustrating because everyone I'm attempting to train with here is getting faster while I seem to be slowing down.

All that being said, has anyone else experienced using a HRM while training and managed to increase their speed over time without increasing their HR too much while running?

Clifford, how was the 5k this weekend?

Wendy
2007-01-15 9:28 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Wendy,
You I am no expert on HR zones and have had very limitedsucess using a HR monitor for any purpose other than just checking HR. You may be trying to use a HR zone too low for you read this article and see if it helps. If not you should post your question in the Tri Talk section.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Clifford
2007-01-18 6:23 PM
in reply to: #653960

Hi . Wendy

I have been running for years and have completede 2 marathons and never used and Hr monitor. What I concentrate on is breathing. And I hate to here myself breath so I started listnening to a radio when I run. What I do is fine a pace that I'm comforatble with and maintain that pace, if the breathing gets faster I slow down if I find it's getting easier I speed up. I have found out through my experince that distance makes it easier. The longer distance you run the speed automaticaly will increase and the breathing gets regular and the Hr will go down.
This may seem confusing, but I will send you the name of a book I read whih helped me a great deal.
Good luck and let me know how you're doing

Chris
2007-01-18 8:07 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Does everyone understand the inspire system? I am not seeing many inspires to each other. Help each other out we all want to know others are out there to help us along.

2007-01-19 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
HELP!!!

I am ready to start riding the bike that I just recieved and got fitted for. The problem is, I am not, nor have I ever been a cyclist. Of course, I know how to ride a bike, but I have never tried to train for a bike race. Nor have I ever ridden a bike with my feet clipped to pedal.

I need two things, 1) Tips on not crashing while clipped to pedals 2) if anyone has or knows where to find a beginner cycling training program that would be great.

Unlike running and swimming, I have no idea where to start for actual bike training. All I have done so far is stationary bike or spinning classes at the gym. I have a feeling its not quite the same as riding with the 3000lb monsters on the road.

Thanks,

Sarge
2007-01-19 2:18 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
I understand, I had never used clip pedals either before March or April of last year. First thing to do is to get used to the clips, put on the shoes and practice clipping in and out while on the trainer, I did not have a trainer back then so I leaned up against a door frame just make sure there is nothing sharp to fall on. Once you have the clipping and unclipping down, take the bike to an empty parking lot and practice getting on clipping in ridding around in the parking lot then clipping out. Don’t leave the parking lot until you can start unclip stop and restart without a problem. At some point in time you will fall I fell at a stop sign I was slowing down and unclipped on the right, then leaned left, it was a slow fall I landed on my left shoulder rolled over and stood back up. Ok as to the ridding part I suggest you start ridding your running route I did 3 mile loops until I could go 12 miles before venturing out anywhere else. Then get in a biking group or club that provides safety and helps keep the motivation up.

Good luck
2007-01-19 3:28 PM
in reply to: #660974

Reno, NV
The best thing anyone told me about riding with my feet clipped in is, "you will fall". Be prepared to fall a couple of times. My friends were so "nice" and had me riding up hill while trying to learn to clip in... fortunately it was a residential street with no traffic! I agree with Clifford's recommendation for an empty parking lot. My brother also had good advice... when you go to stop riding, ride up beside your car. This allows you to lean toward the car rather than falling to the ground. Once you get it down, it becomes second nature and you will love having the clips. It allows you to pedal in circles where you can use different muscles and not always wear out the same ones. Good luck!

Wendy
2007-01-19 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Great Advice! Thanks guys, hopefully the bike will come along as well as my run and swim have. I did my LSR today, check out my log!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CBarnes's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 3