Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-01-23 8:39 PM
in reply to: #625448

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: CBarnes's Group - Full
Are we losing our people? Stay motivated guys/gals and remember to log your training. I have been getting great feedback and motivation on my logs, it really helps to hear suggestions from other people regarding your training!

See you all soon,

Sarge

2007-01-28 8:50 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Well it has been quite a month as I have watched everyone’s training logs over the month I have seen some really good stuff and have been inspired to keep pushing myself forward. You all got off to a great start BUT as with many new ideas and lifestyle changes sometime we fall on hard times a missed training day leads to 2 or 3 a injury puts us in a depressed mood or just the daily grind of spouse, work, kids, meetings ect saps our time and energy. I know I have been there just look at my logs for this time last year. So I wanted to take a moment and remind every one of their first post I have posted each of your introductions and then I have commented on your progress. If you are falling behind understand you are only falling behind yourself take it one day at a time today is the day to catch up.

Greetings!
Would love to join you're group.
I enjoyed you're reading your personnel history. We seem to have several things in common.
I"m an ex marine corp vet, who has been married for 31 years have two sons, one has graduated and the other still collge.

I have completed two marathons and have run numerous other races. But the last 10 years have been miserable with back problems. All most in a wheel chair 2 years ago, but with medical science and the Mayo Clinc I have been rejuvenated. I'm now running 5 miles and swimmimg .5 mile in the pool. Just got my first mountain bike and will start riding this weekend.

Looking forward to my first sprint race in June, I could use all the help I can get.

This race is a 1/2 mile swim 13 mile bike and a 5 mile run.
the bike trek and the run are from xterra so seems to be a bit on the extream side.

Cableint: Bike 30 min, Run 2hr 40 min, Swim 45min, other 5 hours. You had some real good days of training I hope all is well I haven’t seen anything since your last bike ride? I hope you are not sick but if so let us know and recover fast.

Hi; my name is Cindy. Hope there's room in your group for me!
I'm 46, as a non-swimmer I never seriously considered triathlon, but last summer my husband convinced me that since I already bike and run (cross-training for fencing, which I've been doing 6 years!) I could "totally" do at least a sprint. So, I've been getting in the pool and learning to swim, and hoping to do my first triathlon late spring or summer. Also have increased the amount of running I've done, and last weekend ran my first 12K race- I did much better than I'd hoped!

My biggest challenge is working the training around my fencing training (3 nights a week, plus various weekend tournaments and 3-4 national events/year). You mentioned in your bio that you trained just 4-5 hours/week but were getting more structure this year, so hopefully I can borrow some of your experiences to help my training along. I've got lots of other questions too, there'll be time for those later.

Other miscellaneous biographical information- married 21 years (husband is also a fencer and cyclist), no kids but 2 rescue greyounds. I live in Seattle so at present it's cold and dark before and after work- so for now training is in the gym weeknights and I get my outdoor training as much as I can on the weekends.

Raven: bike 1hr, Run 58 min, swim 0, other 6hrs. Great work on the fencing it looks like it is a real struggle to fit in any other training and that is very understandable we can only do so much. Take a look at your goals a sprint tri is still very possible. Also I haven’t seen any activity in 2 weeks don’t give up let us know how things are going.

Story: I hope there is room for one more! I felt the need to join this group as an 40 y/o Active Duty Army officer to balance out the Sailors and Marines. I have not completed any triathlons but 2007 goal is to complete two sprints and a 1/2 marathon with my wife (retired army and cancer survivor). I have always ran/part-time swimmer - finally bought a bike in 2006 and now hooked. Now I want to bring it all together and become a triathlete (or act like one).

Family: I have been married 14 yrs with four children (11,10,8 and 4) and one stubborn Bassett Hound! We are a active and busy family that likes to pray and play together. My wife is a runner, the kids play multiple sports and the youngest wants to do it all (me too syndrome)!

Training: Just started the 2x balanced program but have not been logging on BT. I really need capture workouts and remain more disciplined in maintaining a log. I am either training early in the morning and other creative manners to meet the family committments and chafeur duties. My strength is the bike followed by the run but feel helpless (technique) in the pool. Looking for some opinions on programs how to fit in training around the rest of life. Also need some advice on weight training- programs, specific exercises and frequency.

Weight loss and Nutrition: No real weight loss goals and the lbs will come off with the training. I am seeking advice on nutrition and tri training.

You will not find me training on Sunday afternoons because we are diehard Baltimore Ravens football fans.

Looking forward to being mentored in the next couple of months.

LHS66

Shiller6: bike 2hr 40 min, Run 5hr 39 min, swim 42 min. Off to a real good start a lot of quality training I think you are well on track hope you get over the illness soon. Keep up the good work.

I would like to join this group as well. Looks like I maybe the oldest as I will be turning 50 next year. I am a police officer at an airport here in Richmond, Virginia. I have been running off and on for quite some time having completed a few marathons and numerous other shorter races. Started biking again this year and decided to try my hand at the triathlon. My biggest concern is swimming as I haven't swam in quite some time. I plan to compete in a olympic distnace race in July up in Kenosha,Wisconsin. Hope to find a sprint this spring in my area first though.

Not married at this time though I'm probably as close you can be having been with the same woman for 10 years. She doesn't participate but is by biggest supporter. I to am a Steelers fan having been one since birth since I was born just outside of Pittsburgh. Don't count them out yet.

Bruce Howells

Warrior: We have not seen you this month I hope everything is ok It is not too late to get started it never is you can still be ready for the sprint this spring if you get back into it. I hope to see you logging soon.

I'd like to join your group is there is still room. Here's a little about me:

I started training for my first sprint last January planning for a July 2006 event. With a sudden death in the family the week before the event, I had to postpone until 2007. My goal for 2006 was to cross the finish line even if I walked most of the way. Now that I've had an extra year, I have set some time goals for 3 sprints.

When I was a teenager, I was a competetive swimmer so I do have some swimming background but not too much memory of training routines. I have never liked or been a runner so that is my weakest area. I am currently able to run about 3-3.5 miles at a 12 min pace. I'd like to increase my distance so that I could run a 10k this spring and hopefully have closer to a 10 min pace.

I work as a systems analyst behind a computer all day. I love training because it allows me to get outdoors and enjoy the beautiful scenerary where I live. I am in Reno, Nevada which is about 30 minutes from Lake Tahoe.

Family: I am married with no kids, unless you count the four-legged ones that seem to run my house. My husband is supportive of my efforts but at times questions if I'm not pushing myself too hard.

Weight Loss goals: The reason my husband questions this is because I am overweight. I need to lose about 40 lbs to be "healthy". I figure the weight loss will also make running and biking much easier!

Training: I am currently training 6 days a week, sometimes 5 if I do a brick on the weekend. I am experienceing some difficulties swimming with a shoulder but hope that will a little strength training it will be back to new again.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Sunnywendy: Bike 50min, Run 5hr 11min, swim 4 hr, other 2hr 25min. Wow you were off to a great start something must have happened this week. Now is the time to return to the great training you were doing at the beginning we all go into slumps but you can pull yourself out of it I look forward to seeing your return.

Since this seems to be the place for the armed forces to gather, I thought I would add the Air Force to the mix.

My name is Paul Rayman, I'm 31, currently living in Colorado Springs. I've been active duty for 13 years. I am planning on doing my first Sprint distance Tri in June 07 in Boulder, CO. I am not a cyclist, or a runner, and I havn't done any competitive swimming since I was a kid. I have participated in sports as far back as I can remember (swimming, football, basketball, etc) at various levels, but I havnt done much over the last 3 or 4 years.

I am a husband and father of 4, my newest addition will be here any day now.....yes, that will be 5 kiddos. What I really want is to set an example of healthy and active living for them.

My personal Tri goals are as follows:

1: Finish the race in June, since I dont know what to expect, I don't plan on being competitive yet.

2. progress over the next two years from noncompetative Sprint distance to Competetive Olympic distance.

3. Complete a half IM by the time I turn 35

4. Complete an IM before I am 40

I think that'll keep me busy for a while.....

AFSGT: bike 3hrs 53 min, run 9hrs 16 min, swim 12 hrs, other 2hrs. Man what can I say You were the last in the group and are now leading the way Great work in all three sports and surviving your first fall from the bike. I would say you are well on the way to your goals Thanks for the encouragement you a giving too.

Well folks there you have it our first month is almost done. Look at where you are and where you want to be and if you are not on the way it is time to start the journey, it is hard and it takes a lot of time. People think you are silly they question your ability and they distract you with other concerns but you deserve your time. If you want to be a Triathlete than take YOUR TIME and use it to reach YOUR GOALS. Each of you took the time to log on sign up and post a message so it was important to you don’t let things get you down if you missed a day it is missed if you missed a week it is missed if you missed a month it is missed. Move on no goal is unobtainable until you quit trying.
2008-01-07 7:47 PM

San Jose
Hey there,
Sorry I haven't been logging in, for the past week I have been in the mountains with no computer access. Now that I am feeling really great, I am not sure how to approach my training guide. I have a sixteen week training guide that I am using and I thought I would just start all over again since my actual race is not untill May 4th. I haven't worked out in three weeks. I will be starting my swim classes again this week. Any suggestion I would would really appreciate.

I hope everyone had a great new year! Now it time to get down to business.

Thanks
Brenda

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CBarnes's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 3