BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CBarnes's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-12-15 5:38 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: CBarnes's Group - Full
Story: I have been active on BT for almost a year and have completed 2 sprint tris several 5k’s and one 10k. During this time I have dropped 16 pounds and gone from 13 min miles to 9, 12 mph rides to 18 and improved my swimming greatly. I am not the most experienced but I can appreciate the importance of having someone looking at my logs and offering encouragement during the week who also has a full time job and other outside commitments.

My background: I am a 44 year old Navy retiree; I teach High School Government and Economics and attend college part time working on my Masters in Public Administration.
Clifford

Family: I have been married for 22 years, we have 2 children 20, and 17, one in college and the other is a High School Senior. My wife has no interest in running or triathlons but provides me with limitless support. My other interests are Scuba diving and politics.

Training: My training has been steady 4 to 5 hours per week, but mostly unstructured over the last year, I am correcting that this year with a detailed plan to shave 20 plus minuets off my previous Sprint time, and to complete my first Olympic distance event. Up to this point I have been a back of the packer but intend to move up to the middle this season. I believe the most important part of training is DOING IT. It can be hard and we can all make excuses (I make them too) but at the end of the week the truth shows thru in the logs. If you can not run, walk if you can not ride fast, than ride slow, and if you can not swim far, swim short over and over until you can swim far.

Weight Loss Goals: I also have a weight loss goal for 07 of loosing 10 pounds slowly using increased exercise and slight diet modifications.

My favorite saying is If it is to BE, It is up to ME.

Edited by CBarnes 2006-12-21 6:10 PM

2006-12-19 6:26 PM
in reply to: #625448

Subject: RE: CBarnes's Group - OPEN
Greetings!
Would love to join you're group.
I enjoyed you're reading your personnel history. We seem to have several things in common.
I"m an ex marine corp vet, who has been married for 31 years have two sons, one has graduated and the other still collge.

I have completed two marathons and have run numerous other races. But the last 10 years have been miserable with back problems. All most in a wheel chair 2 years ago, but with medical science and the Mayo Clinc I have been rejuvenated. I'm now running 5 miles and swimmimg .5 mile in the pool. Just got my first mountain bike and will start riding this weekend.

Looking forward to my first sprint race in June, I could use all the help I can get.

This race is a 1/2 mile swim 13 mile bike and a 5 mile run.
the bike trek and the run are from xterra so seems to be a bit on the extream side.

2006-12-19 7:51 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Welcome and semper fi. Congratulations on your recoveries or progress toward recovery I have had knee problems but nothing as sever as your back. This BT site is a great source of support encouragement and sometimes a kick in the pants. I am putting you on my friends list and request you do the same to me. Next thing to do is start logging your workouts in the training log that way it can be tracked by all of us working to keep each other on track. My name is Clifford and I am in East Texas near Longview you do not need to share your information but if we are close we can meet on occasion for a ride or run.
2006-12-19 9:23 PM

Hi; my name is Cindy. Hope there's room in your group for me!
I'm 46, as a non-swimmer I never seriously considered triathlon, but last summer my husband convinced me that since I already bike and run (cross-training for fencing, which I've been doing 6 years!) I could "totally" do at least a sprint. So, I've been getting in the pool and learning to swim, and hoping to do my first triathlon late spring or summer. Also have increased the amount of running I've done, and last weekend ran my first 12K race- I did much better than I'd hoped!

My biggest challenge is working the training around my fencing training (3 nights a week, plus various weekend tournaments and 3-4 national events/year). You mentioned in your bio that you trained just 4-5 hours/week but were getting more structure this year, so hopefully I can borrow some of your experiences to help my training along. I've got lots of other questions too, there'll be time for those later.

Other miscellaneous biographical information- married 21 years (husband is also a fencer and cyclist), no kids but 2 rescue greyounds. I live in Seattle so at present it's cold and dark before and after work- so for now training is in the gym weeknights and I get my outdoor training as much as I can on the weekends.
2006-12-19 10:57 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Raven,
Nice to meet you Fencing now that is cool I remember as a kid watching the 3 musketeers and the Earl Flynn movies and thinking how neat it would be to know how to do that. Well of course there is room for you, you mentioned your husband, does he TRI? If so get him on too. Congratulations on your marriage of 21 years Cable has us beat with his 31 but still the dedication determination and the pure putupwithness of any one over 5 years is remarkable now days.
Your first step is to determine where triathlons fit on your priority list and that decision can only be made by you. I decided not to take a couching position at my school because I have many unfinished goals here that take priority. Take an honest look at the things in your life that demand your time and make a true assessment.
Just completing a triathlon is a great accomplishment and a sprint is the first distance to go for. You will need 4 hours per week to train during the work up period about 16 weeks. If you are a non swimmer it is critical that you become a competent swimmer and I do not mean this in a negative way but you can always walk on the run you can always carry your bike but you must swim or drown. So if you are truly a non swimmer take lessons you do not need to go fast (swimming is the least important of the 3 disciplines) but you must do the distance. Ok next use the training logs to enter your training so we can look at it and provide feedback. I will add you to my friends list and I ask you to add me to yours. So enough for now welcome to BT.

Clifford
2006-12-20 7:28 PM

New user

Story: I hope there is room for one more! I felt the need to join this group as an 40 y/o Active Duty Army officer to balance out the Sailors and Marines. I have not completed any triathlons but 2007 goal is to complete two sprints and a 1/2 marathon with my wife (retired army and cancer survivor). I have always ran/part-time swimmer - finally bought a bike in 2006 and now hooked. Now I want to bring it all together and become a triathlete (or act like one).

Family: I have been married 14 yrs with four children (11,10,8 and 4) and one stubborn Bassett Hound! We are a active and busy family that likes to pray and play together. My wife is a runner, the kids play multiple sports and the youngest wants to do it all (me too syndrome)!

Training: Just started the 2x balanced program but have not been logging on BT. I really need capture workouts and remain more disciplined in maintaining a log. I am either training early in the morning and other creative manners to meet the family committments and chafeur duties. My strength is the bike followed by the run but feel helpless (technique) in the pool. Looking for some opinions on programs how to fit in training around the rest of life. Also need some advice on weight training- programs, specific exercises and frequency.

Weight loss and Nutrition: No real weight loss goals and the lbs will come off with the training. I am seeking advice on nutrition and tri training.

You will not find me training on Sunday afternoons because we are diehard Baltimore Ravens football fans.

Looking forward to being mentored in the next couple of months.

LHS66

2006-12-20 8:51 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Ravens!! Ravens!! I’m a Steelers fan Well I am sure we can all get along.. Welcome to the group. BT is a great site with a lot of support and neat features. The BT log is a great feature because it lets you track your progress and more importantly it lets others see what you have been doing too. I find a great deal of motivation when I look at my yearly totals and see what I have done it helps on the days of doubt. So if you can please do use the logs. Please add the group members to your friends list this will make keeping up with each other easier. Now all we need is a Coasty and a Airman.
2006-12-20 9:31 PM

New user

We now know that you will have plenty of time to train on your Sunday afternoons since the Steelers will be finished with the season in 2 weeks.

Thanks again and started logging in this week's workouts. What features do you find most useful for motivation?

LHS66
2006-12-21 8:15 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Ouch. Well every few years it is important to play for draft choices and don’t count them out yet if the stars align just right we could still sneak into the playoffs. Now as far as inspiration I find the logs help me a lot as I can look over to the left and see all the shaded in workout days I have done and the blank ones if I skipped. Next are the inspires I hope you all have found them (it took me a long time to notice them) if you are looking at you training log you will see the top line above the days entry it says today’s date, copy, move, edit, nutrition, inspire. If there is a red number next to inspire click it and it will open messages people have sent you. This is how we comment on your training. One other thing I like is the goals I recommend we all put our short term and long term goals in our log to do this go to the control click on edit training settings and type in your goals then they will be displayed in your raining log providing a reminder of what you want to do.
Quote from Recondaddy "The main cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."
2006-12-21 9:34 AM

I would like to join this group as well. Looks like I maybe the oldest as I will be turning 50 next year. I am a police officer at an airport here in Richmond, Virginia. I have been running off and on for quite some time having completed a few marathons and numerous other shorter races. Started biking again this year and decided to try my hand at the triathlon. My biggest concern is swimming as I haven't swam in quite some time. I plan to compete in a olympic distnace race in July up in Kenosha,Wisconsin. Hope to find a sprint this spring in my area first though.

Not married at this time though I'm probably as close you can be having been with the same woman for 10 years. She doesn't participate but is by biggest supporter. I to am a Steelers fan having been one since birth since I was born just outside of Pittsburgh. Don't count them out yet.

Bruce Howells
2006-12-21 10:45 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Welcome Bruce, I see you have used this site before by your 2005 totals welcome back. With your running background I would think an Olympic would be attainable this year I will be doing one in Aug or Sept. Swimming is very important as the say you will not win a Triathlon on the swim but you can loose one there (or drown) so definitely work the swim to the point that you can do the distance in the open water at any time. With that said I do not believe you need to be a fast swimmer just be comfortable at the distance. Please refer to the other posts concerning logs, goals, inspires, and friends and welcome to the group.

Clifford

2006-12-21 11:18 AM

Reno, NV
I'd like to join your group is there is still room. Here's a little about me:

I started training for my first sprint last January planning for a July 2006 event. With a sudden death in the family the week before the event, I had to postpone until 2007. My goal for 2006 was to cross the finish line even if I walked most of the way. Now that I've had an extra year, I have set some time goals for 3 sprints.

When I was a teenager, I was a competetive swimmer so I do have some swimming background but not too much memory of training routines. I have never liked or been a runner so that is my weakest area. I am currently able to run about 3-3.5 miles at a 12 min pace. I'd like to increase my distance so that I could run a 10k this spring and hopefully have closer to a 10 min pace.

I work as a systems analyst behind a computer all day. I love training because it allows me to get outdoors and enjoy the beautiful scenerary where I live. I am in Reno, Nevada which is about 30 minutes from Lake Tahoe.

Family: I am married with no kids, unless you count the four-legged ones that seem to run my house. My husband is supportive of my efforts but at times questions if I'm not pushing myself too hard.

Weight Loss goals: The reason my husband questions this is because I am overweight. I need to lose about 40 lbs to be "healthy". I figure the weight loss will also make running and biking much easier!

Training: I am currently training 6 days a week, sometimes 5 if I do a brick on the weekend. I am experienceing some difficulties swimming with a shoulder but hope that will a little strength training it will be back to new again.

Look forward to hearing from you!
2006-12-21 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Since this seems to be the place for the armed forces to gather, I thought I would add the Air Force to the mix.

My name is Paul Rayman, I'm 31, currently living in Colorado Springs. I've been active duty for 13 years. I am planning on doing my first Sprint distance Tri in June 07 in Boulder, CO. I am not a cyclist, or a runner, and I havn't done any competitive swimming since I was a kid. I have participated in sports as far back as I can remember (swimming, football, basketball, etc) at various levels, but I havnt done much over the last 3 or 4 years.

I am a husband and father of 4, my newest addition will be here any day now.....yes, that will be 5 kiddos. What I really want is to set an example of healthy and active living for them.

My personal Tri goals are as follows:

1: Finish the race in June, since I dont know what to expect, I don't plan on being competitive yet.

2. progress over the next two years from noncompetative Sprint distance to Competetive Olympic distance.

3. Complete a half IM by the time I turn 35

4. Complete an IM before I am 40

I think that'll keep me busy for a while.....
2006-12-21 7:06 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: RE: CBarnes's Group - Full
Welcome Sunny, and Af Sgt,

We are now a full group and from the looks of it a mature group with varying strengths and weaknesses I believe this is a great combination that will allow each of us to help each other. Please review the other posts concerning inspires, logs, friends, ect.

I am on the way out to eat and see a movie so I am skipping training today and will double up tomorrow.

Clifford
2006-12-21 8:32 PM

Hi everyone! I'm looking forward to having you all as virtual training partners.
Warrior- hey, I was in Richmond just a couple of weeks ago for a tournament. We've been there a couple of times and the venue (convention center) is pretty nice. Downtown by all the restaurants is nice too. And the Christmas lights (especially the deer in the park) were really pretty.
Sunny wendy- what kind of dogs do you have? I have 2 greyhounds. They are NOT good running partners though- they'd sprint like crazy for about a block and then they'd be done. So I do all my running alone (husband doesn't run at all).
I'll add all of you to my friends list on my training log, and CBarnes, I'll also work on getting my goals entered. I'll be skipping tonight's workout as well, since it's husband's birthday and we've got celebrating to do!
-Cindy
2006-12-21 10:39 PM
in reply to: #631145

Reno, NV
Cindy,
I'm lucky to have great running partners in either of my 2 golden retreivers. It's been too cold here lately to run outside. We had a warm snap last week and I took one of them outside with me to run. She was worn out after 3 miles. I guess dogs have to maintain condition too. I try to rotate between the 2 of them as my husband doesn't run too often with me. They really enjoy it and give me company while I'm out!
Wendy

2006-12-21 11:04 PM
in reply to: #631195

New user

Hello everyone,

Went to see "Rocky Balboa" with my son tonight and even though Rocky was not an avid swimmer, I will certainly be hearing his training theme song in the pool tomorrow. The movie was much different then the rest and had to sit through 25 minutes of previews before it started.

LHS66

2006-12-24 11:56 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Well folks we are off to a great start. It has been a busy week here and I am sure it has been for all of you as well Let me give a round of congratulations first Warrior a Christmas eve ride of nearly 20 miles Wow, Sunny got in 3 work outs and has her goals posted good job, Cableitn 4 workouts including 2 doubles and 175 min of training great effort, Schiller 5 workouts 2 2 a days posted his goals and friends off to a running start, Raven 4 work outs goals and friends and the minutes leader with 230 that is taking the lead on a very busy week. I want to encourage you all to check each other logs and to post any questions in this thread. Look at your training and be sure that what you are doing is progressing you toward your short term goals. Well enough of this have a merry Christmas Train smart and be safe.

Clifford
2006-12-27 10:33 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Ok everyone christmas is over and news Years is upon us time to hit it hard and develop consistency.
2006-12-28 12:08 AM

Hey, I've got a question- any suggestions for where I can find some interval workout ideas? For any or all 3 disciplines. Which plans on this site might be good- and adaptable for my workout schedule (I never followed any of the plans you see on websites/magazines since they all have 1-2 days off, and I'll burn 3 days up on fencing practice alone, never mind tournaments)? I feel like I can pretty consistently get in a decent distance or minutes for a workout, but I swim slooooow, run OK but would like to get speed up, and hubby says I need to ride faster if I think I'm going to finish a century before the organizers start packing up.
2006-12-28 7:36 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
BT has some real good plans at the silver level, Triathlete magazine, and Joe Friel's The Triathlete’s Training Bible are very good books I think the Friel book is a bit better as its training planning format is more flexible. As far a cycling is concerned Spinervals are great they are dvds that have programmed workouts on them you just follow along on your trainer. Swimming I have heard that Total Immersion is good or when you go to the pool find out when the swim team meets or locate a good triathlete in your area and ask for help, I have two coaches that have been giving me advice and helping me improve my form one is a 8 time ironman and the other is one of the best Sprint distances guys around and a swim coach. They help me because I show up for fitness swim time and asked them too.

2006-12-28 10:37 AM

Reno, NV
Cindy-
I've been working to get my swim faster in the last few months. I have a friend who put me on a workout that seems to be helping a lot. The main thing is to swim more short distance with a short rest between. For example, one of my sets is:
4 - 75 yds in 1:35
6 - 50 yds in 1:10
8 - 25 yds in 0:40

You may have to adjust the time for each yard swim. Basically you want 15 seconds rest between each and you want to push yourself a little. The first time I did it, I barely had 5 seconds to rest. After just a few weeks I was ready to either shorten the time or increase the distance. My watch is great as it has a timer that will beep when the time is up and start the countdown again. I don't have to watch or calculate time on a swim clock.

Hope this helps!

Wendy
2006-12-28 6:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
OK, I think its time to leave Colorado.....we are going through our 2nd Blizzard in 2 weeks......This is really hurting my training.

Since I am training for my first Tri, I am wanting to incorporate some strength training into my rotation. Does anyone have any training plans that wont pack on the muscle mass, but will help with strength and edurance?

I was thinking of doing a circuit type training at my local YMCA. What I would do is one minute on a machine followed by one minute run on the indoor track. There are 18 machines, and I would also perform a set of pushups and situps to make it an even 20 exercises. My thoughts are that this would ensure a total body workout twice a week, while adding mileage to my weekly runs.

Please let me know what you think, I would like to incorporate this as soon as possible if its a solid plan.

Thanks

Paul

2006-12-29 7:53 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
In the articles section there are some core training likes and information.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Stay away from heavy weight and low reps.
2006-12-29 1:53 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Over the past few months I have been planning and training to run in the Houston half marathon in January However in the last month my training has fallen off I had a good plan and stuck with it for a long time but as the weather changed I found new excuses to miss a day here and there and before long I found myself short of time. I tried to compensate by switching to a run/walk routine but that has been less than satisfactory. A few days ago I considered switching from the half marathon to the 5k. I believe I can complete the half but my performance would leave me disappointed. Yesterday I e-mailed the event coordinator to ask if it was possible to switch and today I have received the reply that I have now been switched, perhaps they jumped the gun as my request was for information not action but it is done. I started training for my first TRI with the purpose of completing it and I did. I have now changed my goals I do not want to finish I want to compete either in my age group or against myself. My goal for the Houston 5k is to set a PR my current 5k PR is 27:56 I am going to go for 27:00. I just wanted you to know.

Clifford
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CBarnes's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 3