2006-12-20 9:09 AM
in reply to: #628852

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - FULL
JohnnyKay - 2006-12-20 10:03 AM
CarolinaLaw - 2006-12-20 8:56 AM

If you go as slow as I do, you don't get dizzy.  ;-)

I'll try some swim golf maybe next month or so.  I'm still trying to focus on technique and learn how to swim.  That and build up swim endurance.  That to me so far is the hard part.

Swimming is hard to pick up because there is so much technique involved.  If you can get some coaching, that is your best bet.  But here are 2 links that might help.  The second one is a drill progression that I used to teach myself to swim (before then getting some additional help through coaching).

http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimtechnique1.htm

http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimming-drills.htm

I've been using the Total Immersion book and DVD.  It definitely seems to help.  I usually will do 1/3 drills, then 2/3 laps.  I'm scheduled to watch the next section of drills tonight for my swim workout tomorrow.  When I started, I couldn't swim one lap without feeling like I'd explode.  I'm up to doing 100 yard repeats with about 20 second break in between.  I'm trying to swim 2-3 times a week, but with Christmas and the end of the year, that plan is getting shot to heck right about now.

I can't make it to my local masters groups because they all meet at 5:30-7:00, and with family and commute time it's impossible to make it.  Hence, I swim the 20yd pool at the Y during my lunch.  I'm trying to round up a coach to come watch me and give pointers, but so far its pretty difficult to find one.  I think I'm a decent self coach, so we'll see how it goes.

2006-12-20 2:14 PM
in reply to: #625455

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
"golf", hey i get it! we used to call it distance per stroke (or dps drill for short!) your wrong to think that when you get good at swimming you stop worrying about your stroke count. it's all about staying long and strong. the thoughts never leave, but what else are you going to do swimming three miles yet not going anywhere
i would advise tommy (or anyone for that matter) if you are just starting on swimming or you are a seasoned pro to really, really focus on technique. i've never seen the ti videos, but i hear great things about them! an instructor with wsi certification can really help with technique and drills which is huge when you are first starting out. i used to coach age group swimmers and the little ones technique is all i did (aside from having fun!). the distance will come but if you try and rush the endurance first and have crummy technique, it is going to be more work for you and your "golf score" is going to go up. anyway, just my two cents. don't mean to sound preachy, but i'd like to contribute some way
there are a ton of drills on the internet, and i have a few favorites

Edited by Noz 2006-12-20 2:16 PM
2006-12-22 9:43 PM
in reply to: #629369

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I'm running hills tomorrow -- they're one prong of my three-pronged run approach: tempo, hills, long. Basically, I cut out all of the "junk" miles (not a concept I particularly believed in as a runner, but as a triathlete, I really enjoy having the opportunity to make every workout "quality"), and only do the essential workouts. My hills haven't really been hill repeats, but rather steady runs on a hilly course. I have a great 1.1-mile loop in my neighborhood that hits three good-sized hills. I just do four or five of the loops. Sounds boring, but actually, it's kind of easy to get out the door when you know you're always going to be close to home.

The half-mary I'm doing in Jan. will really be a test of how effective this training has been. I think I have a shot at running a PR, but I also won't be surprised if I have a hard time in the last 3-4 miles, since I haven't been doing those 12-13 mile runs. I plan to take the "run 10-miles, race 5k" approach. I want to keep it really solid and comfortable in those first ten... it'll be tough not to start too hard.

Anyway... have a great holiday weekend everyone!
2006-12-23 10:48 AM
in reply to: #627873

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
JohnnyKay - 2006-12-19 11:29 AM
timberleaf - 2006-12-18 6:56 PM

Here is what works for me: set the coffee pot for a quick cup as i dress for the morning session...

You realize you're taunting jeepgil now, right? Wink

Ha... yeah, that is (was) always great for early morning workouts when I was still tired. 

2006-12-24 10:28 AM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday season !
2006-12-24 12:13 PM
in reply to: #632573

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

jeepgil97 - 2006-12-24 10:28 AM Wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday season !

Same from me! 

I'll be busy this week, but checking in when I can.  Happy training (but remember to enjoy the family time this week as well)! 

2006-12-24 12:44 PM
in reply to: #632614

South Carolina

Happy Holidays!

2006-12-26 8:09 PM

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hope everyone had a great holiday!

My son and I are headed to Arizona for a week to visit my mom. I will be running, but probably not logging every single day. I hope to also get in a couple of swim sessions -- I have completely fallen off on those in the last few weeks, mostly due to the single parenting. Dh is back in Iowa this week and next, so it'll be more weeknight trainer rides and furious weekend activity when I get back to Minneapolis. Only 4.5 weeks to my half mary!

Take care!
2006-12-27 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

Constance,

Hope you have a safe trip and a happy visit!  Enjoy spending time with the family!

2006-12-28 2:28 PM
in reply to: #633894

South Carolina

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday.  I was able to spent some great quality time with family and friends.  Some workouts here and there but nothing worth writing home about.

Starting a new basic week on Jan 1.

Mon - am run or off

Tue - am swim & pm bike trainer

Wed - pm teach spin class, then take yoga class

Thurs - am swim & pm run

Fri - am run

Sat  - bike

Sun  - run or brick

What do you guys think? 

2006-12-30 8:34 AM
in reply to: #635632

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Looks solid timberleaf.  You may want to add a rest day, or at least, have a very easy day scheduled. 

2006-12-30 4:42 PM
in reply to: #635632

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
timberleaf - 2006-12-28 2:28 PM

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday.  I was able to spent some great quality time with family and friends.  Some workouts here and there but nothing worth writing home about.

Starting a new basic week on Jan 1.

Mon - am run or off

Tue - am swim & pm bike trainer

Wed - pm teach spin class, then take yoga class

Thurs - am swim & pm run

Fri - am run

Sat  - bike

Sun  - run or brick

What do you guys think? 

Looks pretty good to me too.  Not sure all the constraints you have in a typical week, but I might consider putting a run on wed am and then making mon or fri a "swim or off" day.  Swimming seems to work better if you're going to make it an "active" recovery day.  This would also give you the option of missing a Tues or Thurs swim sometimes if you're going to get the Mon or Fri swim done.  It would also have you running at least 4x/wk.  Greater frequency can be a big help in any sport, but running seems to get the most benefit in general. 

Just some thoughts.

2006-12-30 6:36 PM
in reply to: #637387

South Carolina

Thank you for the feedback...I think I will switch up the days.

Add a Monday morning swim and a Wednesday morning run.  This should balance my long weekend workouts with a mid week long day and give me one more swim session for the week.

Mornings do work best for me...I can get in 2 hour workout on a good morning.

2006-12-30 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
It all looked good to me, but since I don't know what I'm doing, you might want to stick to the professional's opinions.
2006-12-31 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
those recovery workouts (not just days) are important, especially with the volume of training you are doing! i was getting exausted training for a marathon because i thought that i had to run so fast on certain days. going slow and helping your body recover is huge! saying that, it's sometimes tough to know when you need to recover and when you are just being a wimp!
2007-01-03 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

Ok, I figure everyone is settling back into the training routine after the holidays.  Since I'm by far the least experienced triathlete (and I hesitate to even call myself that), I'm going to begin drawing on y'alls collective wisdom and ask many questions in hopes of reaching your collective heights of knowledge and athletic prowess.  Here are the first few, which focus on my limiter event - swimming:

1)  When breathing during swimming, should I have my mouth open in more of a round position, and breath like I'm breathing in the cold air so that you can see my breath?  Or should I have my lips more pursed, like blowing out a candle?  I tried the more round position today, and found I was able to blow out more gently and more quickly bring in air.  Am I doing this right?

2)  Is there a secret to having goggles fit and keep the water out without having to cinch them to my face?  If I have the straps where the pressure feels comfortable, when I roll my head up to breath, water seeps in from the side.  In order to make it the seal watertight, I basically tighten the straps so much that after 45 minutes I'm close to having a headache.  Is there some secret to this?  Should I buy smaller goggles?  (If so, does that mean ladies goggles?  Kids?)

3)  Without using the nose clips, is there a way to not have water gush up my nose while swimming?  I've tried to swim without the clips, but end up cleaning out my sinuses instead ... not quite the most pleasant experience.  Any tips?

Well, I've jumped in with both fins ... I mean, feet.  Any help or suggestions?  (Besides sticking to golf?)

2007-01-03 3:33 PM
in reply to: #641042

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
CarolinaLaw - 2007-01-03 3:09 PM

When breathing during swimming, should I have my mouth open in more of a round position, and breath like I'm breathing in the cold air so that you can see my breath?  Or should I have my lips more pursed, like blowing out a candle?  I tried the more round position today, and found I was able to blow out more gently and more quickly bring in air.  Am I doing this right?

2)  Is there a secret to having goggles fit and keep the water out without having to cinch them to my

I am no swimming expert, but I always breath out my nose and in my mouth in an O shape. I'll be curious to see if I'm doing it right. I'm sure Noz can help.
2007-01-03 6:18 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Noz may have the best advice, but here's mine:

1)  Do whatever's comfortable.  The most imprtant thing is to make sure you fully exhale underwater.  Then you should not have much trouble getting air in when you breath.

2) A good fitting pair of goggles should form a seal on your face without having to tighten the straps.  Different goggles fit people differently.  I haven't had much trouble finding a pair that fits, but others have had to try numerous designs to find ones that work. 

3) I don't have much problem with this so no real advice. 

2007-01-03 6:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
hooray! a swimming question (or three)!
1. to mirror what john said, whatever is the most comfortable and allows you to get as much air as you need. i know when i breathe to the side my mouth looks like rocky after he took a punch. another important thing john said, make sure you blow your air out underwater so that when you do turn your head, all you're doing is taking air in.
2. ah, goggles. goggles should be able to fit properly without cutting off the circulation to your head. the problem being that goggles are kind of like bikes, there are tons of varieties and not all goggles fit well on everyone. i use swedish goggles (http://trisports.com/swedishgoggles.html ) personally, they don't have pads and fit close to your face. but, they do freak some people out without padding and all (it doesn't hurt "extra" if you get kicked in the face wearing swedes, it just hurts bad. more motivation to swim faster!) a little trick you can try is opening your eyes wide like you just got a fully loaded tri bike for x-mas and placing your goggles on, then relax you eyes. but again, like with breathing, you may have to try a few things to find something comfortable. if you have some swimmer friends, ask to borrow different pair.
3. when are you experiencing air up the nose? flip turns, a particular stroke, or always? the "blowing air out" underwater may help depending on the problem. out the nose for turns or mouth during the swim. it could also be your head position while you swim. try to keep your head down/forwards, like of like you are riding the bike.

a side question, how long have you been swimming?
2007-01-03 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

Thanks for all the replies.  Here's a bit more info, so chime in with what you think.

While I've competed in a sprint tri before (5 years ago), I've only been swimming for the last 2 months.  I realize the technical nature of the swim, so I really want to focus on developing good form, and hence, efficiency.  I will not quit on the swim, as I do enjoy my pool time.  Just hoping to get better.

While nowhere near perfect, my stroke isn't all that bad.  I can usually keep up with people at the pool for a lap, without trying to race or anything, but I have zero stamina, due to not getting enough oxygen.   Just today, while doing triple underswitch drills, I passed the lady to the right of me, and kept pace with the guy to the left - both of whom were steadily swimming laps.  This while not even really trying to swim fast or anything.   

When I used to breath, I would purse my lips, and blow forcefully out of my mouth.  When I would surface, I wasn't quite through breathing, so I would end up "spitting" out the last bit of air before trying to open my mouth more to breath in.  It would seem like I could never get enough air in my system, thus I had no endurance.   However, I got to goofing around, and tried blowing out more "gently" with an open or round mouth.  I found that when I broke the surface, I didn't have to push out that last bit of air before breathing in.  That, and my mouth was already gaping and open, ready to suck in some oxygen.  I swam a few laps this way, and while my form was breaking down, felt like I was breathing easier.  Just wondering if this was a one time deal, or I discovered the way to breath.

As for air up my nose, I can't tell you when exactly it occurs, just that it does.  I have no problems when I use the clips, just wondering if there's also some secret to not flooding my sinus cavities in the first 10 minutes of a workout.  Trust me, it sucks to get to the end of the lane and look like a glazed donut. 

I reckon I'll just have to try another brand of goggles.  I didn't think I'd have to cinch them so tight in order to get them to work properly.

Ok, anymore advice/diagnoses?

2007-01-03 9:03 PM
in reply to: #641456

South Carolina

I feel your pain with goggles.  I went through several brands before finding some that fit.  Lucky for me, my wife is a swimmer, so I passed off my uncomfortable goggles to her. 

Another swimming question - I swear I'm not crazy or anything, but why do I have to pee all day long after a morning swim session?  Constance, is this a guy thing or do you experience this too?  Am I taking in that much water?  Do any of you experience the same thing? 

Edited by timberleaf 2007-01-03 9:06 PM

2007-01-03 9:05 PM
in reply to: #641456

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
short answer: stick with what works! keep it up!

long answer:
breathing- keep trying your newly discovered way! if you find you can do an extra yardage while not as tired, go for it! i know that when i started running/biking i had to learn how to breathe because i would hold it like i was swimming. likewise, i have seen track people have difficulty swimming with the opposite effect. keep trying your new way to see if it is more comfortable for you. if not and you find you...
"When I would surface, I wasn't quite through breathing, so I would end up "spitting" out the last bit of air before trying to open my mouth more to breath in." maybe try adding another stroke before you breathe so you have time to push the "last bit of air out". do you breathe to one side or every other?

water in nose- it can be frustrating when you don't know why something is happening, let me ask you this, why not use the nose plugs in a race? it works for you in the pool, why not in the race? it is difficult to slove the nose problem in person, let alone over the internet. but the plugs seem to work, and if michael phelps is in your heat and he laughs at your plugs, just smile back and beat him down on the run! you can always switch to backstroke if you lose them in the water.

goggles- this may sound gross, but ask your local pool if they have some lost and found goggles you could try. it may help you narrow your search without spending a bunch of money. but, a lot of the goggles will be cheep kiddie goggles that are a dollar at wal-mart, so, i guess it may not work as well as i think.

oh, and thanks for the golf tip
2007-01-03 9:07 PM
in reply to: #641494

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
timberleaf - 2007-01-03 9:03 PM

I feel your pain with goggles.  I went through several brands before finding some that fit.  Lucky for me, my wife is a swimmer, so I passed off my uncomfortable goggles to her. 

Another swimming question - I swear I'm not crazy or anything, but why do I have to pee all day long after a morning swim session?  Constance, is this a guy thing or do you experience this too?  Am I taking in that much water?  Do any of you experience the same thing? 

does your pee smell like chlorine ? how does that scarcam font work....
2007-01-03 9:13 PM
in reply to: #641498

South Carolina

I'm not sure if it smells like chlorine...I'll get back to you on that, but it is clear.  And no it does not burn.  Wink

Let me know any suggestions, in the meantime,  let's get back to CarolinaLaw's swim questions.

Edited by timberleaf 2007-01-03 9:31 PM
2007-01-04 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

Thanks for all the replies.  And Timberleaf, I'm definitely not trying to hijack the thread.  If you've got questions, throw them out there.  I just figured I'd see what everyone had to say to this newbie.

Noz, as for my breathing, I breathe bilaterally.  Everything I've read says you are at an advantage if you can comfortably breathe on both sides, as open swim race conditions may require you to only breathe on one side.  If that's your weak side, or the side you can't breathe on, then you've got problems.  I breathe every 3 strokes, fwiw. 

I'll just keep using the clips, as so far, I've had no issues with them slipping, and it truly does help me.  I reckon I'll buy another pair of goggles and see if those work.  I currently use Speedo goggles - any brands you care to recommend?

And Timberleaf, while I don't have to pee after swimming, I always end up feeling bloated.  I mean, my pants fit differently after a swim workout.  Not quite sure why that is.

Here's a new question for y'all - should I go out and get swim training aids?  If so, which ones?  Fins?  A swim buoy?  Those swim gloves?  Right now I don't use any of those, but I think the buoy in particular could help.  I have very large legs which like to sink, so it would be nice to have something to help keep afloat.  I'm trying desperately not to end up the crazy kicking beginner swimmer.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6